Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-02-2014, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0Si
Unhappy Bouncing in my X3

Hello Everyone:

I am a new owner to a BMW X3 si 2007. It is a wonderful car and although I have only had it for a week I really love everything about... BUT, I have noticed that the car bounces a lot in the front of it. I do have a warranty through the dealer i bought it from however , of course THIS is not covered.

Has anyone has the same issue and if so... should I get shocks as of NOW instead of waiting for a bigger issue to arise. I have read a mix of negatives and positives but I think the positives to outweigh the negatives....

Help, pretty please with a Cherry on top!

Thanks....
Ads by Google
Old 04-02-2014, 10:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
Take it to a mechanic you trust and please then let us know exactly what they recommend.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Sounds like shocks and maybe even struts. Figure on something north of $2K for both.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
How many miles are on the vehicle? Have you driven another X3 of similar to verify if you're experiencing normal vehicle operation? Are the struts leaking fluid at all?
Old 04-03-2014, 11:20 AM

The car has 118k miles....no haven't checked if the struts are leaking (although I have no idea what or where are the struts lol....) There is nothing leaking from this car and No, I haven't driven any other X3.

Perhaps i should do all of those suggestions... This happens every now and then but that is it. However I do want to make sure I don't have any issues.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2014, 11:22 AM

I researched the price for the shocks and it said $500 for the two front ones.... @ Uncle J, why are your numbers 2k? Is it the struts? Now I am freaking out
Old 04-03-2014, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerika2010 View Post
The car has 118k miles....no haven't checked if the struts are leaking (although I have no idea what or where are the struts lol....) There is nothing leaking from this car and No, I haven't driven any other X3.

Perhaps i should do all of those suggestions... This happens every now and then but that is it. However I do want to make sure I don't have any issues.

Thanks
As I said take it to a good mechanic you trust. If you don't have one find one, a good mechanic is worth his weight in gold and with all cars you need to have one.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrdad View Post
As I said take it to a good mechanic you trust. If you don't have one find one, a good mechanic is worth his weight in gold and with all cars you need to have one.
Yes, I will absolutely be doing that after this school semester is over (3 weeks) going to school, full time employment and a family makes it all very complicated. But will get one asap.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
Your tires may be overinflated.... check your owner's manual.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Cer - The $2K was the cost of my two front struts (one was leaking - but I replaced both) along with assorted other parts at the dealer. Probably could have shaved a bit off at an indy but needed the loaner and frankly the indy's around here are virtually the same cost as the dealer I use. Came out in the morning and found a puddle of oil -- thought it was the PS rack at first ($$$$) glad it was just the struts! About 80K miles as I recall.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Cer - The $2K was the cost of my two front struts (one was leaking - but I replaced both) along with assorted other parts at the dealer. Probably could have shaved a bit off at an indy but needed the loaner and frankly the indy's around here are virtually the same cost as the dealer I use. Came out in the morning and found a puddle of oil -- thought it was the PS rack at first ($$$$) glad it was just the struts! About 80K miles as I recall.
Uff.... hate to hear that and glad you were able to get that fixed. Mine (knock on wood) is not leaking anywhere, so we will see. Today I didn't feel any bouncing so idk...