Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
MAF Problem??

I have a 2007 X3 with the N52 engine and about 129,000 miles. I just had it down for a couple of weeks replacing the starter, valve cover gasket, water pump and fluids. When I first started it up, it barely ran and idled terrible. I unplugged the MAF sensor and it runs good. I know from reading that this could be an air leak. However, I replaced the CCV hose and all three connections are good. I replaced the intake gaskets. All my other electrical connections are connected. I've checked my intake pipes and they are good. I've cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner.

If I try to start it with the sensor connected, no cel comes on. If I disconnect it, of course the cel light comes on with a P0113 code. I really don't want to spend $250 on a replacement and it's hard to believe that it ran good a couple of weeks ago and now the sensor is bad? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by gapost; Yesterday at 01:59 PM.
Advertisement
Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
you dont need a maf.
and its a n52

you need to rap your head around the fact that unplugging the maf proves nothing but the car still has its ability to run of default programing, this is the piss poor(est) style of Diag

typical situation
you have compounded the situation by adding your own mistakes
you are correcting in assuming that its hard to believe that it ran good last week and now it doesn't....... go back redo your work.. fix your mistakes you made it worse you forgot to plug something in.. or you made a typical mistake...

replace your maf if you want.. i have 2 m52's in my drive way that would love to acquire your used perfectly good maf sender

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

15486372<-----
Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Start with the cheapest items first, check your work and wiring for damage or missed connections or air leaks.
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylove View Post
Start with the cheapest items first, check your work and wiring for damage or missed connections or air leaks.
Yeah, believe me, I know that. Been working on cars for over 30 years. Anyhow, I feel like I've double and triple checked everything. I'm wondering whether the ccv hose I got may be bad or have a leak. That will probably be my next step. I might also try to borrow a maf sensor and see if that might make a difference.
Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 08 E83; '86 442; 84 GMC
It's not the MAF sensor, unless you damaged it during your work. If you replaced the intake gasket, I'd look there. Spray the edge of the intake gasket with carb cleaner while it is running, see if that makes a difference. If it does, you've found you leak. The other thing that comes to my mind is that the cam timing got messed up when you pulled the VANOS to do the VCG. I have yet to do that job, but I seem to remember reading that once unplugged and removed, you need to let the VANOS or eccentric shaft sensor "relearn" its position. I may be mistaken on what exactly needs proper adjustment, but I recall something in there needing adjustment.

Do you have any codes while it is running? That would be a big help.

Last edited by dukedkt442; Yesterday at 07:33 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
A Creator C110 or C310 might be a good thing to order at $50-60.
Old Today, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylove View Post
A Creator C110 or C310 might be a good thing to order at $50-60.
Thank you! I will.