Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X-3
Transfer actuator motor gear replacement

Just a note to report on a successful replacement of the transfer gear (part # 55 3509 010). The replacement gear from Pelican Parts (pelianparts.com) cost $118.50 and my local mechanic changed it in 20 minutes, charging $40.00. The dealer estimate was $2,300+/- But then again they would replace the entire transfer case. I wonder how many X-3 are driving around needing a simple fix?
Advertisement
Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 x3
I watched a video that said that some of the replacement gears have teeth that aren't shaped 100% accurately which cases them to have to much friction on the worm gear.

I wonder if the pelican gear is different than the cheaper gears available elsewhere.

But that musing aside: congrats!!! That's awesome!!!

Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q4 View Post
I watched a video that said that some of the replacement gears have teeth that aren't shaped 100% accurately which cases them to have to much friction on the worm gear.

I wonder if the pelican gear is different than the cheaper gears available elsewhere.

But that musing aside: congrats!!! That's awesome!!!
I've been through this whole gear replacement thing on a separate thread, http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-846517.html.

If I remember correctly the cheap gear I bought from Amazon for about $12 and put in wasn't even stripped when my actuator motor started failing again. So I would say the cheap ones are well worth the cost.
Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 x3
But that might lead one to believe that the cheaper gear was binding on the worm gear causing excessive stress on the motor. Or if not binding then simply causing too much friction with the same result.

Just speculation in preparation for eventual replacement.

Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q4 View Post
But that might lead one to believe that the cheaper gear was binding on the worm gear causing excessive stress on the motor. Or if not binding then simply causing too much friction with the same result.

Just speculation in preparation for eventual replacement.
If I had to do it over again I would order the replacement land rover actuator others have bought from ebay and then just swap the original resistor currently on your actuator so then you do not have to do any re-coding for transfer case.
Old Today, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X-3
Pelican gear

The gear from Pelican is a very high quality molding containing carbon fiber reinforcing. I think it will last at least another hundred thousand miles.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search