Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-09-2015, 05:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X3
Whistling noise, jumping idle.

Tried to do a google search on this, but got lots of rabbit holes with no conclusive faults.

'08 X3 with 105K on the clock.

I heard a strange whistling noise after about 5-10 minutes of driving and when I parked, it had a "strange" idle. In either drive or park it was jumping between 1000 and 1400 rpms. So not a rough idle that would indicate a vacuum leak, but definitely not right.

A few searches suggested that the CCV could fail and cause a high vacuum, but it's usually associated with a rough (low) idle.

In my most recent post, an oily plug (need to do the valve cover gasket) threw a misfire code, but replacing plugs did the trick and the code is now cleared.

Other than that, runs great and no SES light. Any ideas?
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2015, 05:35 PM

And then this guy (last post) suggests the eccentric shaft sensor, which I've been debating replacing when I do my valve cover gasket. But the OP never came back to verify and the tech who posted didn't say if it would be a rough idle or a "jumpy" idle. Granted, this is only the second time I heard the whistle, but the first time I've gotten the rough idle in about 3k of driving the car since I purchased it.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
It could be your VANOS solenoids. After replacing mine, the whistle and poor idle went away. But my car had thrown vanos solenoid codes. It was just beyond 100k miles that I had to replaced mine. Yours are probably due for replacement along with the cam shaft position sensors and O2 sensors. All three of these items tend to need replacement at 100k.

It might be a good idea to pickup a BMW specific code reader.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=291316728710

Some people experience a whistle when the oil filter element becomes deformed.

Do a search on both of these items and see if either match your problem.

There are also YouTube videos of e90s with the N52 engine that have whistling sounds related to the VANOS solenoids and others with the deformed oil filter whistle.
1988 Grand Wagoneer | Burgundy | Ghost Flames | 360 ci | Holley carb

BMW CCA #422951

Old 02-09-2015, 08:14 PM

That's another thing I'm trying to sort out. I'm getting this impression that it's fully expected to replace O2 sensors at 100K miles, but those aren't exactly cheap. Are we talking all 4 sensors? Shouldn't I just replace those as they fail? Should I decide to go all out, what am I looking at in parts to do the gaskets, O2 sensors, VANOS solenoids, coils, etc.? It's starting to sound a little bit insane without even throwing the eccentric shaft sensor into the mix.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:20 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels View Post
That's another thing I'm trying to sort out. I'm getting this impression that it's fully expected to replace O2 sensors at 100K miles, but those aren't exactly cheap. Are we talking all 4 sensors? Shouldn't I just replace those as they fail? Should I decide to go all out, what am I looking at in parts to do the gaskets, O2 sensors, VANOS solenoids, coils, etc.? It's starting to sound a little bit insane without even throwing the eccentric shaft sensor into the mix.
The 2 pre-cat (near the engine) O2 sensors are typically the ones that need to be replaced. Yes, you can wait until they fail and throw a code. That is what I did. But, in my case, there was a major drivability issue, not just an illuminated CEL. They were approximately $100 each on Amazon for Bosch OE fitment rather than BMW branded.
VANOS solenoids are about $100 each and same for the camshaft position sensors. (These are really easy DIYs.)

The coils don't need to be replaced, but many people replace them when changing the plugs because you already have the old ones out as a part of the plug change. You can price shop for coils. You can find Bosch coils for right around $30 each.

I definitely recommend getting a BMW specific ODB II code reader. It will provide you with valuable information as to what specifically to look at rather than a generic code. There might be stored codes that are not yet causing the CEL to illuminate.
1988 Grand Wagoneer | Burgundy | Ghost Flames | 360 ci | Holley carb

BMW CCA #422951

Last edited by al_macaroni; 02-10-2015 at 04:26 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:52 PM

Thanks for the tips.I think it's time to pony up for a scanner. I'm a bit reluctant to select one because I have a mac at home and no PC. I could probably use the PC at work if it's just to update or set up the scanner, I guess.

I could have sworn I saw a OBD2 to USB cable on a website that also offered scanner software available for mac as well. And I thought I saw it on a BMW site, but it's possible I'm losing my mind.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 08 E83; '86 442; 84 GMC
Ecc shaft sensor probably only failed if you have a leak in that area... got a leak?

Coils typically fail around 100k miles (mine started in the low 80s, I replaced all 6)

Old O2 sensors can negatively affect performance and fuel mileage long before they get bad enough to throw a code. I replaced my 2 upstream at 97k. I got mine at Rockauto for $114 each, Bosch.

Whistling and erratic idle could also be a torn intake boot.

Last edited by dukedkt442; 02-10-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:30 PM

The first weekend I had the car, I replaced the eccentric shaft sensor seal because I did see some seepage. I saw a tiny bit of oil in the connector, but it wasn't swamped like the pics I've seen online. I cleaned it out at the time and didn't think it would be an issue because the car didn't have any symptoms of a failed sensor. At this point, I'm thinking it's worth it to do it because I'll already have everything apart for the valve cover gaskets and I do know for a fact that it at least had SOME oil in it for an unspecified amount of time. I just figured a failure would be more sudden and clear.

The whistling has only happened twice in about 3k of driving since I've owned the car. The first time, I was pulling into a drivethru and it was so loud I just shut it off without noticing if there was an idle issue. That was maybe 2 weeks ago. This most recent event happened as I was parking somewhere, so I took time to notice the idle issue.

I'm less inclined to think that it's a simple vacuum leak just because the idle was very specifically and rhythmically going up to 1400, then falling back to 1000 rpm, over and over. I'm new to BMW's, but it seems to me that a vacuum leak would usually be a low, rough idle accompanied by a low power condition. The rhythmic up and down makes me think it's more likely a sensor issue, especially considering that it's so intermittent and difficult to replicate. Under normal driving conditions, I could hear the whistle, but there were no drivability issues. After getting back in the car and starting it up, no more whistle or strange idle.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:08 PM

Finally had a repeat this morning and was able to nail it down more.

I noticed a rough idle on the cold start, then after it had warmed up, I hit some traffic and noticed the whistling at anything under 2k rpm, as well as a rough idle when stopped. Pulled into a gas station and oil cap was very, very hard to open. No other drivability issues, though. I shut off the engine and restarted and all symptoms were gone. So it looks like the common CCV valve issue. No idea why I got that weird idle bumping from 1000-1400 the last time...

I guess the valve is just gunked up enough and sticky when cold, but once warmed up, is less likely to stick, hence the shutting on and off while warm fixes the issue.

So who sells a complete kit with hoses for the'08 X3 3.0si? I'm having trouble finding a simple package deal with hoses and all to order. It looks like this one might work, but the website says it's not sure? Maybe because they're including a dipstick o-ring and the later X3's didn't have that?
Old 02-13-2015, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: bmw++many
suppliers

all the usual guys like bavauto/fcp/pelican etc etc sell the kits for your x ......maybe do the starter swap while you have the manifold off if you have some extra bucks....and clean the idle air valve ......plus swap the throttle body gasket/inlet gasket ....also ......don't get confused with the heat trace wires that run under the insulation for the ccv hoses ......they just give off a bit of heat and they all plug into a small multi plug under the manifold .....kinda like mini usb plugs....the system is effective but should be swapped as part of level two
Old 02-13-2015, 06:44 AM

a good generic ccv pics link

https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+...Q&ved=0CB8QsAQ

also ecs is a good supplier
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j...23925064034952

Last edited by swampX3; 02-13-2015 at 06:46 AM. Reason: add link
Old 02-13-2015, 06:50 AM

generic N52 CCV kit

call and grill the supplier about kit/price etc

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-330....0L/ES2682267/
Old 02-13-2015, 06:55 AM

200 buck n52 starter and bolts

for ~ 200 bucks you can buy a new bosch starter and don't forget the aluminum bolts for it .....1/2 hour extra easy labor on the CCV job and a biggish beast put to rest for several years

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-SR0492X-.../dp/B001C64R1Y

Last edited by swampX3; 02-13-2015 at 06:55 AM. Reason: add link
Old 02-26-2015, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 x3
It's beyond me on why BMW choose this design but unfortunately The 2008 model x3 with n52 engine has the ccv built into the valve cover. The CCV is not a replaceable part so you'll have to replace the entire valve cover. I did this job along with my eccentric sensor and filter housing gasket back in November. Going really slow and taking my time it took me about 10hrs.. Not a bad job, just very time consuming!
Old 02-26-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickjewing View Post
It's beyond me on why BMW choose this design but unfortunately The 2008 model x3 with n52 engine has the ccv built into the valve cover. The CCV is not a replaceable part so you'll have to replace the entire valve cover. I did this job along with my eccentric sensor and filter housing gasket back in November. Going really slow and taking my time it took me about 10hrs.. Not a bad job, just very time consuming!

PS my car was making the same intermittent whistling noise and exhibiting the same engine wheezing issue, even shut off after heavy braking when I came to a stop at a light. Those problems all went away after I replaced the valve cover and eccentric shaft sensor... I suspect the bad ccv was the culprit
Old 02-26-2015, 07:09 PM

Thanks for that. I have no idea how I missed that one. That would explain why I wasn't able to find any ccv kits for that model.

I can understand why it's viewed as a pain to integrate it into the valve cover, but 1) I was already going to do the valve cover gaskets and 2) any CCV kit I did see was usually $300+. So now I'm paying about the same price for a valve cover kit as I was going to pay for gaskets and a CCV system. And I don't have to take off the intake manifold. It also seems like gaskets and ccv systems are failing in the 100k+ mile range, so you might as well do both at the same time.

Now just debating if I want to go ahead and spring for the eccentric shaft sensor.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:28 AM

Smile

Here are the Pros and Cons IMHO

Pros.
The new valve cover comes with all new gaskets (VC gasket, Valvtronic Gasket, Eccentric Shaft Sensor Gasket).

Cons.
The valve cover is expensive and PITA in terms of amount of time spent removing and installing...

I was able to snag my VC on eBay for about 2/3 the cost from the Stealership... Check this listing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-11127552...utkn=QgYA8Cvia

I know that the Eccentric shaft sensor is a tough pill to swallow given the price but it's well worth not having to redo this job. It's literally one extra 10-15m step once you have the VC removed... Just take your time removing the bolts on the ESS ...
Old 03-04-2017, 02:14 PM

VANOS test using dis57

>FYI ...best wishes

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search