Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-28-2016, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si M-Sport
Can you compare your cars. Brake pedal goes almost to the floor!!

I was told this is normal for X3, can other owners please test this for me.
With the engine running put fairly hard constant pressure on the brake pedal and see if the pedal just keeps going down and down.
On my X3 when i perform this test the pedal goes lower and lower almost to the floor, it feels strange to me, like the master cylinder is leaking, but it isn't leaking and the brakes seem to be working fine. When i had it checked out at the dealer he brought around another X3 that was in for servicing and it did seem to do the same thing. I can't tell you how unnerving this is especially at stoplight the pedal just keeps dropping!!

Thx for any input.

2008 BMW X3 3.0si M-Sport
140,000km
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2016, 08:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0I
You got me curious since I just did all 4 brakes/rotors. With pressure the pedal does seem to continue going lower. Cant tell if it is hitting the floor. But I have never had to press it that hard while waiting at a light to keep the car from rolling. To be honest I have never noticed this behavior until you mentioned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDeaf View Post
I was told this is normal for X3, can other owners please test this for me.
With the engine running put fairly hard constant pressure on the brake pedal and see if the pedal just keeps going down and down.
On my X3 when i perform this test the pedal goes lower and lower almost to the floor, it feels strange to me, like the master cylinder is leaking, but it isn't leaking and the brakes seem to be working fine. When i had it checked out at the dealer he brought around another X3 that was in for servicing and it did seem to do the same thing. I can't tell you how unnerving this is especially at stoplight the pedal just keeps dropping!!

Thx for any input.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:59 AM

Thanks for checking that for me, it just seems odd behaviour for a brake pedal that I've never felt on any car before. The way I'm describing it, it feels like pushing on a big fluffy pillow, instead of a precision stopping device from BMW, just feels wrong!

140,000km
Old 04-28-2016, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3... VOLVO... V
I don't think your brakes are working correctly.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
I've been driving an X3 for 10 years - what you describe is the opposite of 'normal'. Get your brakes fixed before you hurt yourself or some innocent person you are sharing the roadway with.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:21 PM

I'm assuming, other than the odd fluffy pillow feel, the car is stopping fine. If not, definitely get them checked out.

Quote:
Thanks for checking that for me, it just seems odd behaviour for a brake pedal that I've never felt on any car before. The way I'm describing it, it feels like pushing on a big fluffy pillow, instead of a precision stopping device from BMW, just feels wrong!
Old 04-28-2016, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 08 X3, 88 vette, 67 Mstng
None of my cars do that. You have a problem. Bad master cylinder or booster.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: 08 E83; '86 442; 84 GMC
Can you compare your cars. Brake pedal goes almost to the floor!!

The only vehicle I've ever had exhibit that was a '79 a drove an hour home from its purchase location; it needed both a booster and a master cylinder. You have a leak somewhere, or you have brakes that were never properly bled. Or, you have REALLY old fluid.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:09 AM

Turn car of, pump pedal hard 20x to empty ( actual fill) vacuum booster.

Now push down to pedal. It should be hard and it should not move once you hit resistance.

Stop driving if this isn't the case and get them fixed.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:04 AM
Retired

Mein Auto: 2009 E83 X3
One more in the "not normal" camp. Once your pads come in contact with the rotors there is nowhere else for fluid to go so the pedal should stop. My first suggestion is have your brakes bled/flushed at the dealership. Mine only charges $138.00US for it. You might have an air pocket somewhere that's compressing. If it's not that, all that's left is a bad master cylinder.

Last edited by R ODonnell; 04-29-2016 at 07:06 AM. Reason: sp
Old 04-29-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomama View Post
You got me curious since I just did all 4 brakes/rotors. With pressure the pedal does seem to continue going lower. Cant tell if it is hitting the floor. But I have never had to press it that hard while waiting at a light to keep the car from rolling. To be honest I have never noticed this behavior until you mentioned it.
Thank you Yomama for actually testing your brakes for me, and finding the same issue.
Can anyone else actually test there brake pedal for this issue, there is at least one other owner with the same issue here and am trying to find if this is systemic with this model.

thx

140,000km
Old 04-29-2016, 05:06 PM

If a caliper is hanging up on the slides, you will get a spongy pedal that will not improve on bleeding.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
That is definitely not normal brake pedal operation. It should be fairly tight with only a couple inches of pedal travel.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:29 PM

Just to humor you I tried it in my car. With foot resting on the brake at a stop light, it won't depress under the weight of my foot and builds great pressure. If I stand on it, yes, I can out the pedal all the way to the floor, similar to a truck with air brakes. But why stress the seals and rubber hoses unnecessarily? As stated repeatedly, if it easily drops to the floor with foot resting on the pedal, it is not normal and needs addressing. Whoever told you otherwise either is mistaken or doesn't know what they're talking about. Get it fixed before you kill someone. I've had old lines blow out while driving and it is not a fun experience.

Get the fluid changed; it should be done every two years and I'm yes sing it's never been done.

What I'm thinking is the rubber lines are shot, and either expanding under fluid pressure, or you have a fluid leak. Rubber lines expand every time you hit the brakes and wear out; it was common on the older cars to replace them often. Yes, it is possible to have a brake fluid leak that doesn't noticeably affect braking power or trigger a brake warning light.
Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM

Thanks for checking that on your car for me. so it would appear X3's seem to have this same issue where if you put hard pressure on the brake pedal it slowly depresses almost to the floor. In my opinion i have never experienced this in any car i have owned before.

140,000km
Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM

I'm not sure I would consider it an 'issue' if the car brakes as designed. My car stops beautifully. Hope I didn't jinx myself :-)

Quote:
Thanks for checking that on your car for me. so it would appear X3's seem to have this same issue where if you put hard pressure on the brake pedal it slowly depresses almost to the floor. In my opinion i have never experienced this in any car i have owned before.
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM

Quote:

No I believe you missed the point of what I said. If you stand on the pedal it will go to the floor WITH RESISTANCE, the same as every car ever made, at speed commensurate with the applied pressure. If it moves to the floor very easily, something is wrong. If you stand on the pedal and it doesn't move, but then slowly bleeds off pressure, something is wrong. The only time you shouldn't be able to put the pedal to the floor is after pumping the pedal with the engine off, as there is no engine vacuum at that time.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search