Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-30-2014, 05:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Driven a GLA?

Has anyone driven the MB GLA 250 and is willing to share their thoughts? My X3 is 8 years old, and I'm probably keeping it for a while, but I do find myself looking around.

GLA Pros:
Compact size
Panoramic sunroof
DCT (if you're forced to accept an automatic, at least make it a DCT)
Styling
Reasonable price point ~$45K priced the way I want it.

Cons:
No manual transmission
Unknown reliability
Definitely a compact
Will the interior styling get dated quickly?

Thanks!

James
Seattle, WA
2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual, m-sport, premium, cold, xenons)
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2014, 05:17 PM

One more pro:
Unlike any VW, I can go to Mercedes' website, configure and price it. So, I actually know how much it costs the way I want it. Try doing that with a GTI!
Old 11-30-2014, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
I recently drove a VW 6 speed wet clutch DCT and it beat even the BMW 8 speed auto, and it's really got me interested. There is a VW dry clutch 7 speed coming too. Mrs loves the chunky look of the GLK, but for me the GLA looks a bit more like the Juke or the Macan.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: Smart Cabrio, 2009 X3
Mb gla

I drove one briefly about 2 weeks ago. Nice, tight, plenty of power. Has the typical MB feel - tight, good handling. Not the same feel as the X3 (I drive a 2009), and definitely not the SUV high sightline. Good looking, and, overall, at least at first blush, more attractive to me than the X1. Depending on my finances when I'm ready to trade, may prefer the GLK diesel, Lexus RX 450h, Lexus NXh, or the Audi Q5 diesel.

Pros for the GLA:

Length (173 inches, and my current X3 at 178 is about at my preferred length limit)
Fuel economy (although the anticipated 5-7 mpg improvement won't make a huge $$$ difference
Has the important features (for us) - Memory seats, rear-view camera, heated seats

Cons for the GLA:

Not as tall as a "real" SUV
German car maintenance cost (I'd go Japanese in a heartbeat if there was something even close to the X3 driving experience).

Ron
Old 12-01-2014, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3, 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronr9286t View Post

Cons for the GLA:

Not as tall as a "real" SUV
German car maintenance cost (I'd go Japanese in a heartbeat if there was something even close to the X3 driving experience).

Ron
This last point is a pretty important one, not just for the GLA, but for other similar vehicles (same size, purpose, etc). Availability of an MT is critical for me, which leaves me with the Forester and CX-5 in this segment. THe CX-5 is actually a lot of fun to drive. Not german feel, but pretty damn nice. However, the MT is only available in FWD and on the stripper model with the 145hp engine. I could probably make do with FWD and a good set of winter tires, but the lack of creature options and power I have an issue with.

With the forester, I actually don't dislike the look of the it. It has some similar lines to my E83, and can be had with an MT (again, on the stripper models). And, I suppose I should drive one before I really comment (has anyone here driven one?), but dropping 100hp just seems like a deal breaker before I even set foot inside of it.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaglik View Post
With the forester, I actually don't dislike the look of the it. It has some similar lines to my E83, and can be had with an MT (again, on the stripper models).
And this is always the issue -- I don't want the stripped-down model. My X3 has all of the options (except Navigation which I didn't want.) I want a loaded, high-end, German, AWD vehicle with a manual transmission. Simply doesn't exist in the US. As a fall back, I'll either get a manual GTI or a DCT GLA (or something). But I don't see myself getting a traditional automatic.

As for the ride height addressed earlier, I need enough for National Forest Service roads. I'm not doing serious off roading, just enough to get to the trail heads in the Cascades. I'm amazed how many people drive SUVs and never do even that much!

And occasionally, I do this...

Old 12-01-2014, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3, 2003 M3
I really like the entire package of the new R32, but, $40k on a VW wagon?
Old 12-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
At 45k $, why not a GLK 250 diesel?

That said, I dont see anything horribly wrong with the GLA, although the CLA on which its based on isn't that great.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Mitsubishi SST is available on the V6 Outlander. The 4 pot is a CVT.