Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Baoma

Mein Auto: 2001 325Cic
Advice for fix?

Just got this dreaded lights: abs brake and 4x4. My car is 04 X3 2.5L model, with 180K miles. The SA of local BMW dealership advised for two repair, VTG ($1750) and Steering Angle Sensor ($962). Actually he suggested to sell the car, but I'd prefer to try some fix.

I don't hear any loud or grinding sound, the flights comes on and off. The car drives fine even when lights are on. Does this mean transfer case is still good? Shall I replace transfer case motor? Or changing TC fluid? Will a bad transfer case motor trigger all these lights?
Also, is steering angle sensor a real problem (I assume SA see some diag code)? or it is triggered by fault of TC or TC motor?

I read another post about a service bulletin about chaning of TC fluid for 04 model, but don't recall BMW dealership ever did that for my car. Can I ask them to change TC fluid free of charge now, or is it too late with current high miles and years late.

Been a long time owner of BMW cars, disappointed to know this transfer case is a flaw on X3. Is there a recall, or can I ask BMW dealership for a goodwill repair?

Any advice is appreciated!
Old 11-20-2011, 12:45 AM

Mein Auto: 89 325iC, 2004 X3,
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamx View Post
Just got this dreaded lights: abs brake and 4x4. My car is 04 X3 2.5L model, with 180K miles. The SA of local BMW dealership advised for two repair, VTG ($1750) and Steering Angle Sensor ($962). Actually he suggested to sell the car, but I'd prefer to try some fix.

I don't hear any loud or grinding sound, the flights comes on and off. The car drives fine even when lights are on. Does this mean transfer case is still good? Shall I replace transfer case motor? Or changing TC fluid? Will a bad transfer case motor trigger all these lights?
Also, is steering angle sensor a real problem (I assume SA see some diag code)? or it is triggered by fault of TC or TC motor?

I read another post about a service bulletin about chaning of TC fluid for 04 model, but don't recall BMW dealership ever did that for my car. Can I ask them to change TC fluid free of charge now, or is it too late with current high miles and years late.

Been a long time owner of BMW cars, disappointed to know this transfer case is a flaw on X3. Is there a recall, or can I ask BMW dealership for a goodwill repair?

Any advice is appreciated!
No one can tell what is really going with your car from behind the computer. Some solutions floating around here and there, but nothing certain. BMW keeps it's secrets. My TC problem solved itself after tire change and TC fluid change. It worth a shot. You can change TC fluid easy. $100 only. $50.00 the oil and approx $50.00 a pump. (I used my break bleeder to change TC and differential fluid too) 30 minutes.
BMW does not change transmission and TC fluid unless they read a code or after necessary repair. There is a sign on the side of transmission: "Do not change oil"They call "lifetime" oil. Yeah. Sure.

Last edited by Hungarian E30; 11-20-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:18 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to ace_ek
Mein Auto: X3 E83
Great info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin5333 View Post
For you folks that have the jerk problem at 1000-2000 rpms, it might be the transmission and the different riding habits detected by the computer, instead of the transfer case.
You can try reseting it by doing the following procedure:

1. Insert key and turn 2 clicks - accessories power on, dash lights illuminate.
2. Press gas pedal all the way to floor, past the click point.
3. Hold for 25 seconds.
4. Release gas pedal.
5. Turn engine on and ride.

The jerking on first and second gears should end, specially for vehicles equipped with steptronic.
Martin
i will try this ASAP~! i let u know!!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_ek View Post
i will try this ASAP~! i let u know!!
If this doesn`t work change the transfer case fluid asap. I did it and it solved all the jerking problem.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to Pat7762 Send a message via Skype™ to Pat7762
Mein Auto: 05 BMW x3 3.0 + 93 325is
Hello all, I have a shutter in 1st and 2nd gear around 2000 RPM coming from the rear. I was thinking tire chop until I had the tires replaced. I now have 126k miles on the 05 x3 3.0 and I'm starting to think its the TC I replaced all my fluids at about 107000 because I was taking a trip to CA from FL. I have tryed the reset as well with no change. So my question is what part is more then likely causing the shutter in the transfer cause (assuming its the TC)? I don't have any popping when slowing down or taking off or anything, so I don't think a stretch chain. I was kind of thinking a bearing because it happens only if I put a medium to heavy load on it when taking off? Does that sound about right? Or could it be the clutches in side? I'm asking because I found a company that sells some components for the TC and I'm thinking about taking it apart but I wanted to have the parts available so I have a short down time. Also the TC was replace with a new one under warranty from the last owner at about 66k miles because it had a "leak" which I discovered before buying. so this one has about 60k on it with new fluid at about 40k. I don't have any lights on. Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
can someone please tell me how to find the April 2007 technical bulletin on changing the transfer case oil for X3s that is referred to in this thread? My ABS and 4x4 lights are on, mechanic now thinks transfer case. Thanks,
Old 12-29-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmcitybmw View Post
can someone please tell me how to find the April 2007 technical bulletin on changing the transfer case oil for X3s that is referred to in this thread? My ABS and 4x4 lights are on, mechanic now thinks transfer case. Thanks,
Isn`t this what you are looking for? http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=38
Old 02-23-2012, 12:27 AM

Mein Auto: 08 bmw x3 - 04 bmw 325i
Hi everyone I am new here and I am fraustrated. This is ugly situation have had 6 bmw and have 2 now none had given me any major problems till I got the 08 x3, has 46k miles and they have already replaced the steering angle sensor to get rid of 4x4,abs,brake light, lifters for lifter noise, and transfer case for shudder but it still shudders and they r trying to blame it on 6 month old michelin tires and I am sure that's not the problem. I am a ase certified mechanic for 10 years and smog tech. And their trying to give me this crap. It also idles erradicly and they ordered part from germany takes 10days to get here. I think they r just trying to get close to warraty end in may and hope they never see me again
Old 02-23-2012, 02:07 AM
Bee Em UU

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrique93647 View Post
Hi everyone I am new here and I am fraustrated. This is ugly situation have had 6 bmw and have 2 now none had given me any major problems till I got the 08 x3, has 46k miles and they have already replaced the steering angle sensor to get rid of 4x4,abs,brake light, lifters for lifter noise, and transfer case for shudder but it still shudders and they r trying to blame it on 6 month old michelin tires and I am sure that's not the problem. I am a ase certified mechanic for 10 years and smog tech. And their trying to give me this crap. It also idles erradicly and they ordered part from germany takes 10days to get here. I think they r just trying to get close to warraty end in may and hope they never see me again
Welcome to the 'fest! I can tell you it is not the Michelin tires fault.

The X3's have several known issues: GM6 Tranny (rough shifts, etc), Transfer case, Differentials, MAF, and Intake Boot leak. I would make sure that everything is software upgraded to the latest and greatest. In addition, make sure that all of the fluids are changed before your warranty expires. If that dealer wont help you, try your luck out at another one, many users have had success with getting the dealer across the street to say yes, then the other one says no. Good luck.

Traded in with 90K Miles:
2007 X3 3.0si Black Sapphire Metallic, Grey Nevada, M Sport Package, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation, and Xenon.
Prod Date: March 2, 2007
Old 05-07-2012, 11:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3
2005 BMW X3 Possible Transfer Case Problem

Hi. I have a 2005 BMW X3 3.0i. Recently it has started making a bit of a rubbing/screeching/squeaking noise when I go around corners (especially at faster speeds). The dealership says my car is not the quietest and they would start with the transfer case, but other repairs may be needed. The noise very clearly comes from the back of the car and only happens when going around corners. Like the dealership noted my car is not super quiet, but for it's age I don't see a problem beyond the cornering issue, so I'm concerned they might just be trying to take me for a ride since the cornering I feel is on a different level of severity than anything else yet they are clumping everything together. Thanks for any opinions/help

Nate
Old 05-08-2012, 05:58 AM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder642 View Post
Hi. I have a 2005 BMW X3 3.0i. Recently it has started making a bit of a rubbing/screeching/squeaking noise when I go around corners (especially at faster speeds). The dealership says my car is not the quietest and they would start with the transfer case, but other repairs may be needed. The noise very clearly comes from the back of the car and only happens when going around corners. Like the dealership noted my car is not super quiet, but for it's age I don't see a problem beyond the cornering issue, so I'm concerned they might just be trying to take me for a ride since the cornering I feel is on a different level of severity than anything else yet they are clumping everything together. Thanks for any opinions/help
Hello, and welcome!

Doesn't sound very much like a transfer case problem to me if you only get the noise when going around corners... All the transfer case does (as the name suggests) is transfer engine torque between the front and rear axles to provide traction. If you get this noise when going around a corner without any wheel slip, your transfer case is probably not even entering into the picture...

I'd personally start looking at things like suspension (the early E83 vehicles, like yours, have been known to break the pig-tails on the springs), and the rear differential. I wouldn't even rule out the rear brakes, assuming you're applying brakes when cornering in these situations.

Good luck!

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Old 05-08-2012, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 89 325iC, 2004 X3,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder642 View Post

Nate
When my TC acted up it was not just around the corner. I would start with the rear suspension and brakes too. Both my springs were broken.
Beside the TC is under your butt not at the rear of the car, where the noise coming from.

Last edited by Hungarian E30; 05-08-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Looking for a ticket

Mein Auto: X3, K1200gt, M635csi, M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed66 View Post
Hi guys,

Just joined up. As a newbie on Bimmerfest i wanted to know how many members have actually had or heard of transfer case problems with these X3's. Mine is a 3 litre petrol auto. BMW says they dont generally cause problems but im not so sure on that now as the car has only done 33000kms since new and has never seen any real hard work. So i'm thinking there must be an inherent problem in these.

Any help or ideas?

Mine started developing a whinning noise a few thousand K's back.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=618457
take it out and gut it if you like, i found 5mpg by doing so.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: BMWX3
Transfer Case Issues

I Have a 2004 X3 with 47,000 miles. Just replaced tires to Michelin(Costco) & a new Battery Die hard top of line. WiTHIN weeks of each other this month May 2012. I hear a noise when I shut off car.

My Mechanic says Transfer case. He is amazed that with Easy City driving it would be!
He went in now I have 4x4 & Brake on Dash lights(?)
What is the noise from TraNSFER CASE? IT SOUND DIFFERENT FROM ONES FROM READING POSTS.
HOW DO I FIND OUT WHAT IS HAPPENING WITHOUT ANOTHER SERVICE FEE? ARE THERE USED TRANSFER CASES? WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?
PLEASE HELP.
BMWDOLL
Old 06-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Good thread. Stickied.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Sanity is over rated

Mein Auto: Silver 2006 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdoll@sbcglob View Post
I Have a 2004 X3 with 47,000 miles. Just replaced tires to Michelin(Costco) & a new Battery Die hard top of line. WiTHIN weeks of each other this month May 2012. I hear a noise when I shut off car.

My Mechanic says Transfer case. He is amazed that with Easy City driving it would be!
He went in now I have 4x4 & Brake on Dash lights(?)
What is the noise from TraNSFER CASE? IT SOUND DIFFERENT FROM ONES FROM READING POSTS.
HOW DO I FIND OUT WHAT IS HAPPENING WITHOUT ANOTHER SERVICE FEE? ARE THERE USED TRANSFER CASES? WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?
PLEASE HELP.
BMWDOLL
If it is a clicking noise it could be the actuator for the transfer case, the gears have been known to go bad. check http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=566880

Silverstar upgraded headlights
Velocity motoring vb3 19" 9.5 wheels
Yokahama S drive tires
Upgraded stereo system
Dice Mediabridge
Hitch install
Old 06-09-2012, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3
Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately, I got distracted by my moon roof breaking. I'm still not sure what is causing the cornering noises, but they actually have gotten better oddly enough and have not been happening as frequently. I also have a Bluetooth phone problem now for another post. Car has been great until this year....
Old 06-11-2012, 03:41 AM

Mein Auto: X3 E83
I'm starting to get the noise which could potentially from a problematic TC. If i delay the repair, would it be dangerous? Will it finally breaks apart? What happens if it breaks apart when i'm actually speeding?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
First real post...

Thank goodness I found you guys!

Just got my 2007 X3, (68,000 miles) back yesterday with a new transfer case (and wipers!) Wondering, how does it run AFTER getting a new case in? Mine seems different then it was before it crapped out.

I love this car but, after two years, new muffler, engine pistons, wheels, hoses and now a transfer case... should i stay in love with X3's or move on? (My warranty is over in 7 months and no way am I driving a BMW after a warranty)

Thanks for all the helpful info too!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 03:55 AM

Mein Auto: Late 2005/6 x3 2 d
Cool Think I made a mistake

Hi
I bought a 2005 x3 2d a month ago 125000km on the clock. I took it to BMW searvice center, for a complete service on oils and mechanicals, all I can say is there service sucks.
Any one got a number for a good BMW mechanic arround Pretoria. Still battling to trust the car after reading all the transfer case issues.Thinking of selling it again.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:00 AM

Mein Auto: x3
I have problems that have developed since i bought my 2006 X3 3.0 Diesel with 80,000 Km's on the clock and i have just hit 90,000km's, i have the jerking/hesitation particularly at the change of gear 1st to 2nd at around 20 to 40 kmh, i also notice it happens worse when going uphill and on uneven surfaces, it doesn't seem to happen when going around corners though. No loud clunks or rubbing noises as of yet. My two front tyres have around 80% tread and the rears maybe 30%, getting close to non legal.

Going through a list of things fixed on the car about ten months ago the former owner had a code check for fault/s on the transmission (jerking/hesitation) and came up without anything, The transmission fluid was changed at that time apparently.

I have no warning lights in regards to this.

The problem gets worse IMO when the car is NOT cold after first start up of the day.

So im thinking its all looking like i have the start of this transfer case issue but i can certainly change my rear tyres and do a fluid change before i do anything drastic, Issues i face would be trying to get the correct fluid in Australia.

If you think it sound like it could be something else feel free to add your thoughts. I have also read some posts about the gearboxes in the 3.0 Diesel not handling the torque well, so im looking further into this also.

At only 3 pages long this thread is not really what i would call "in depth" on this problem, but the evidence dose seem to be mounting up.

ATM im assessing a few issues that may need doing at the 100,000km's (60K Miles) servicing, this is at the top of the list so far.

Last edited by maxeaus; 08-08-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:42 AM

maxeaus, It seems according to your description that I had your same problem. I changed the transfer case oil and that solved the situation ( I hit 90K km at the time). I would check this first. If the color of the transfer case oil is like a cola color your should change it. It is expensive ( $50 for 0,6 lts) but you`ll notice no more jerking.
Be sure, as well to have all your tires that comply with the specifications indicated in your owner`s manual of your vehicle.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Thanks Martin, im going to try change the fluid and change rear tyres at the same time, hopefully that will be all that's needed, cross fingers.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Transfer case problems

Mine had to be replaced - to the tune of almost $4000 - at 80,000 miles. Now at 92,000 my starter went dead. Another $1400 repair. It's getting old
Old 08-16-2012, 04:52 AM

Mein Auto: X3
X3 shudder

I have a 2005 X3 2.0d with 132 000 kms on the clock . It has developed a shudder - almost feels like a misfire under acceleration between 2nd and 3rd but I am sure it relates to the drive train. The local BMW dealer tells me it is because my new tyres are not BMW approved and this affects the X drive. Is this possible? Could this be transfer case related? No warning lights show . I cannot find any service record of the transfer case fluid having ever been replaced. Maybe this is low or has degraded? I would appreciate any other members comments.