Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-19-2013, 02:42 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
Show of hands how many of you have a problem with the Transfer who have automatics and how many of you have problems that have 6 speeds?

i thought ive felt the "binding up" in a few slow turns in a parking lot... but i was unsure
Old 07-26-2013, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
My 2006 3.0 with 120K miles started to make clunking noise from the rear many months ago whenever I put in reverse and back, slowly pull to a stop, and making slowly turns, I took it to dealer and they said the Toyo tires I have are not BMW approved and they can't do anything until first have the tires replaced (they had me left my car there for 3 days and told me this, I had to pay over $130 for nothing been done, consider paying for driving a 328i courtesy car for three days).

I took it to a local well known BMW shop figure it's out of warranty anyway, they test drove and suspected the clunking is coming from differential and suggested change out both transfer fluid and differential fluid and the noise went away. Although I had extended warranty to 100K and have had brakes replaced twice and scheduled oil change for free, but I don't think they ever replaced both transfer and differential fluid, which should be replaced every 60K.

Anyway, just sharing my experience, really love my X3, never given me any problem except this one.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 07 x3
For the last several months my 2007 x3 manual has started jerking under normal acceleration and recently had started clanging and whining during deceleration. It had gotten so bad that even my wife was easily noticing it as a passenger and I just knew it was the transfer case. I changed the fluid and adjusted all the air in the tires and thankfully the problem is gone but I'm cautiously optimistic after only 50 miles or so. Hopefully I didn't do a lot of damage by letting it go too long.

Now I'm a believer in how sensitive the xDrive can be. From now on anything that feels like tire slipping on dry pavement under normal acceleration will get tire attention from me.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Under the lift arms

why no talk of motor mounts and transmounts?

Im sure this has some effect on the "sensitivity"
Old 08-13-2013, 05:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Just bought a used X3 3.0 which showed the triad of lights during the test drive. The dealer fixed. at his cost, and gave me an un-priced invoice as part of the deal to show repairs. He shows that the "Transfer Case Control Unit" as well as the "Gear for Transfer Case Actuator" was replaced. Based on this thread, I think the TCCM was un-necessary (and he commented that his mechanic had changed one part and it hadn't fixed the problem).

My question is - does changing the actuator require changing the fluid? I looked at the parts diagram but can't really tell. The mechanic didn't list it on the invoice.

I didn't notice any driveability issues, or noises/clunking during the test drive or since. I am inclined to just change it (possibly again) just to be sure - it's at 76k. (Matched Scorpion tires btw).
Old 08-13-2013, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
It's easy and pretty cheap to change. I would definitely just do it. Certainly won't hurt anything.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:01 AM
Under the lift arms

Probably didn't change it , it is up high on the trans. And at 50 $ a quart he prob if Nything just put something else in

Change it out .., clean catch container
If it comes out nice and clear save it if not throw it out
Old 08-13-2013, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
Probably didn't change it , it is up high on the trans. And at 50 $ a quart he prob if Nything just put something else in

Change it out .., clean catch container
If it comes out nice and clear save it if not throw it out
Thanks.

Can it be done without a lift? I do most of my work on a set of ramps, but then the TC wouldn't be level.

I think I would just recycle it. Don't know what I would save it for
Old 08-13-2013, 07:10 AM
Under the lift arms

like i said at 50$ a quart... every drop on the floor is like dollars...

anyway... you can do it on a ramp.. just make sure you get the right amount in the case and you dont have to worry about being level..

draining it wont matter if its level.. and since your not filling till it comes out, your filling (i belive .9L) i have to look back i have a thread.. i did mine like 2 weeks ago .. let me find it and ill link it

http://www.boilersupplies.com/safety-valves/20.html

lol no... not that one

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=711753

THIS ONE ....

here ya go bud

well since i posted it... im In the middle of hunting down a valve for our buildsings fire sprikler system.. just incase anyone wants to know

Last edited by Burning2nd; 08-13-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangermouseX3 View Post
My question is - does changing the actuator require changing the fluid? I looked at the parts diagram but can't really tell. The mechanic didn't list it on the invoice.
No, removing and replacing the actuator does not involve any loss of fluid.

I bet you still have the original fluid in there.

Changing the fluid can be done with all four wheels on the ground by accessing the drain and fill plugs from the driver side - lying alongside the vehicle, you don't really need to even get underneath it.

(Getting to the actuator is a different matter, and quite a bit harder to access.)

Some uncertainty about the capacity. Best to measure what comes out and put the same amount back in.
Some people have found that it is 0.6L in there as factory fill and 0.6L back in starts to dribble out the fill hole.
Others have found that the whole 1L can go in.
Might depend on model year or variances between suppliers of the transfer case to BMW.
Probably not critical, but I wouldn't put in much more than came out and wouldn't rely on the fill hole level being the accurate indicator it is in other applications like diffs.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:45 AM
Marginal at best!

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 M-sport
Smile Transfer case actuator motor

I just had the plastic gear replaced works great now. I I think this issue should be a recall. Does anyone know if they fixed this issue in the newer models?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: X5 30D
Had the same problem with my 2007 X3 MSport Auto. Changed actuator motor and tyres and the problem is solved mostly. still a little clunky but I think that may have something to do with the little bit of play in the front suspension from the worn castor bushes. problems started at 70,000kms after non-oem tyres. changed the tyres and problem improved then the dash lit up like christmas.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: x3
Does anyone know where you begin to look for a used transfer case. And should I change the fluid first and see if that helps before I buy one. Last question, how easy or hard is it to do for a good do it yourselfer?
Old 08-30-2013, 10:38 AM
Under the lift arms

Change the fluid yes..
dont know where to look proably a bmw junk yard or a reman from a online site

and its not to hard... but if you dont have a lift and your going to do it in the ground...... Good luck
Old 08-30-2013, 01:50 PM

Why hasnt bmw recalled this? My warranty 100,000 ran out in march with about 88000 miles on it
Old 08-30-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burning2nd View Post
change the fluid yes..
Dont know where to look proably a bmw junk yard or a reman from a online site

and its not to hard... But if you dont have a lift and your going to do it in the ground...... Good luck
can you do it with a ramp? You sound like you know a lot. What steps should i start with? Should i go get it diagnosed? Also at the same time , actually the same week my driver's side electrnics got slow then failed. The other doors can be rolled down from their respective doors. Any ideas?
Old 08-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Under the lift arms

To you move the t case..... Its been a few weeks since i had the truck on the lift..
I know positive youll have to remove the drive shaft and support frame that holes it up... (the transmissions will need supporting

Im unsure of the exhaust... If you can wait a few hours.. tomorrow Ill have my truck in the air... Ill take notice and make a detailed list (Not going to be 100% though) I couldnt be 100% unless i did the job my self

I just did my wifes fluid... It stopped the transfer case clunk ... we are at 122k now.. It was owm fluid... came out black went in clear

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=711753

that was my thread...

Last edited by Burning2nd; 08-30-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Under the lift arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutch1 View Post
Why hasnt bmw recalled this? My warranty 100,000 ran out in march with about 88000 miles on it

Because they dont have to recall things that are safety issues..
well technically they dont even have to recall safety issues.. but they dont want to be sued by more then 100,000 people at the same time

you would be surprised... what you could read on the TSB's of all data... there are known recalls that are not mandatory, one with the seat belt... But its not a safety concern.. its a electrical issue
Old 08-31-2013, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutch1 View Post
Does anyone know where you begin to look for a used transfer case. And should I change the fluid first and see if that helps before I buy one. Last question, how easy or hard is it to do for a good do it yourselfer?
http://www.car-part.com/

It's not that hard to change but it is involved. You must remove exhaust, heat shield, and drive shaft just to get to it. Yes it can be done on ramps. It's not likely that the problem is the transfer case itself. They are fairly simple inside and pretty robust.

You might find this video helpful:

Old 10-25-2013, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: A few cars
I just had the dealership replace my transfer case actuator motor and valve cover yesterday. I plan to keep the car for a little while longer, so It was worth it. Plus, I have a 328i GT as a loaner. It is definitiely in my top three picks for my next car (335i version).
Old 10-31-2013, 08:53 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
So I'm at a crossroads with my X3. 164k mls (264k km).

My transfer case is wearing out. I'm pretty sure its the transfer case, at least. Above 60km/h, there's a constant droning noise whenever I apply the throttle. No jerks, warning lights, and it generally only happens when I apply the throttle, not when coasting. There's a fair bit of vibration you can feel from the rear end above 110km/h. I don't know why it would have worn out though; my summer tires wore relatively evenly (perhaps the rears slightly faster than fronts) but I switched over to the winter tires early because the noise from the drivetrain was unbearable at lower speeds with the summer tires.

I changed the transfer case fluid last spring, about 30k mls ago. I really don't want to put any more money into the car (it's literally pushed my financial limits), especially if the xDrive is going to fail on me anyway, plus I plan to let it go sometime in early-mid 2014. But do y'all think a transfer case fluid change will magically solve the problem, or would it just delay the inevitable?
Old 10-31-2013, 10:16 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3, JCW Mini S, X 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
So I'm at a crossroads with my X3. 164k mls (264k km).

My transfer case is wearing out. I'm pretty sure its the transfer case, at least. Above 60km/h, there's a constant droning noise whenever I apply the throttle. No jerks, warning lights, and it generally only happens when I apply the throttle, not when coasting. There's a fair bit of vibration you can feel from the rear end above 110km/h. I don't know why it would have worn out though; my summer tires wore relatively evenly (perhaps the rears slightly faster than fronts) but I switched over to the winter tires early because the noise from the drivetrain was unbearable at lower speeds with the summer tires.

I changed the transfer case fluid last spring, about 30k mls ago. I really don't want to put any more money into the car (it's literally pushed my financial limits), especially if the xDrive is going to fail on me anyway, plus I plan to let it go sometime in early-mid 2014. But do y'all think a transfer case fluid change will magically solve the problem, or would it just delay the inevitable?
certainly worth trying, it not too much money to through at it, and probably will not hurt.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:57 AM
Under the lift arms

you probably have more bearing noise then anything else, If you can just get over the sound... as long as there's no mechanical danger... keep on going.. its not done yet
Old 11-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
you probably have more bearing noise then anything else, If you can just get over the sound... as long as there's no mechanical danger... keep on going.. its not done yet
Well, there's a vibration from the rear end at speed......in addition to the noise. And this is only when accelerating too. If it was bearings, it'd be constant, wouldn't it?
Old 11-03-2013, 02:17 AM
Under the lift arms

Under accel... Is the gibo... drive shaft support bearing... dead nuts right there.... every 3 series

you can also get that same vibration from axles.... sometimes if you just take them out... move then thru there full range of motion on the bench.. then put them back in you can get years more outta them..

bearing would be a "round corrners" sound...

when the truck rolls to the left of right.. drive down the high way.. making the truck roll from left to right... the noise would change