Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-10-2014, 04:20 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0i
Hi again,

what problem are you having?
Old 02-10-2014, 04:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to christoforos Send a message via Skype™ to christoforos
Mein Auto: BMW X3 mpack 3.0si
on 40km a small noise (like a scratch a fight iron with iron is heard) and when you are slowing down a humming is heard from behing. All these noises were much bigger before...After the replacement of transfer case are minimised but not limited
Old 02-10-2014, 04:26 AM

did you check your differential?

Last edited by surfsupjoe125; 02-10-2014 at 04:37 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:27 AM

Hi Chris

If yo only have 40Km, isn't that under warranty. Let the dealer fix it for free
Old 02-10-2014, 05:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to christoforos Send a message via Skype™ to christoforos
40km speed I meant...
Old 02-11-2014, 02:59 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw x3
Bmw x3

Hi I have a2007 model x3 2.5l that as soon as the car has been driven for a while and heats up it starts to jerk and then the (4x4) light comes on then it continues to drive then once again jerks then turns off and then the reds come on and shows the engine light and eml light come on then I quickly turn the car on and off and then continuesly jerks and other times drives normal. I've changed coil packs, wheel alignment and a full servies and it still does it. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be as I'm all out of ideas as I have tried everything possible but can't work out what the problem is? Thanks
Old 02-11-2014, 03:07 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw x3
Hi I'm new to this site can anyone help

Hi I have a2007 model x3 2.5l that as soon as the car has been driven for a while and heats up it starts to jerk and then the (4x4) light comes on then it continues to drive then once again jerks then turns off and then the reds come on and shows the engine light and eml light come on then I quickly turn the car on and off and then continuesly jerks and other times drives normal. I've changed coil packs, wheel alignment and a full servies and it still does it. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be as I'm all out of ideas as I have tried everything possible but can't work out what the problem is? Thanks
Old 02-11-2014, 05:04 AM

Jerking Problem

Hi Maz,

Not sure if you are describing electrical problems or drivetrain. I experienced jerking problems which equated to drivetrain. When you accelerate, the car jerks and then runs fine. My problem turned out to be a worn out chain in the transfer case and the actuator motor gear. My 4x4 light would remain on and it just didn't feel right. When the actuator motor and gear doesn't engage, it is one reason why the 4x4 light comes on.

After I replaced the transfer case chain and the actuator motor gear ( obtained from odometer gear) the ride was like new. No jerking, smooth shifting and it runs like a dream again.

Hope this helps!

Joe
Old 02-12-2014, 04:37 AM

Mein Auto: 3.0d X3, 2009
I've managed setting up a DIS diagnostic tool but I am still not quite sure how to use it properly. The DIS software includes both TIS and Diagnostic. The TIS provides the work instructions. When mentioning the repair of transfer box (VTG) it states after the repair, you need to use the DIS tool, choose the service>repair function, it's like a alignment. But I can't find this function in the diagnosis section..
In the diagnostic section of VTG, it actually shows you the voltages of the motor, the current, the actuator angle etc, if there is a fault code, you can also clear it.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoydriving View Post
.... choose the service>repair function, it's like a alignment. But I can't find this function in the diagnosis section..
I don't know anything about DIS, but what you are referring to must be resetting the adaptions.

What other sub-systems are there in DIS where it might be? Repair doesn't sound right.

I hear that you can't reset the adaptions in INPA but it is definitely there in DIS.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:56 AM

In my setup, the DIS consists of two main section, Diagnostic and TIS. If you go into Diagnostic, the Coding/Program key has been greyed out. The program will let you to select the car model and year then the program will scan the car and list the main information such as the VIN and date of manufacture. the rest of the display are engines systems, transmission, Chassis and Body. You can select quick check the program will run through all the parts itself and display the fault codes if any. you can clear the fault codes. Then you can select a part and go to 'control unit functions'. This is where the control units, functions, part functions and messages and results will be displayed. I couldn't find anything related to adaption or resting. The closest is to activate something. I tried, it doesn't seem to do anything. If you're interested, I may try to get a snapshot over the weekend.

My version of the INPA does not work on my car, I suspect the version is either too old or it doesn't have the files for my car.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:27 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2005
Have a 2005 X3 with close to 175,000 miles. My ABS, brake and 4x4 lights came on. Went to the dealer and they suggested replacing the transfer case. I also had a few oil leaks. I dropped close to $5,000 to fix. Weird thing is that I have this lulling noise when I turn right or left. I had the noise before they replaced transfer case and thought replacing transfer case would fix the noise. What's causing the noise? And should I have to pay more to fix? I had the dealer listen and they mentioned it be a wheel bearing issue. Are they connected issue? Is dealer giving me a run for my money?
Old 02-14-2014, 04:00 AM

If you hear knocking noise when turning it usually is an indication that the universal joints of the front drive shafts have gone.

If you had that infamous lights of trio and clicking noise when turning off the engine, the most likely fault is the actuator of the transfer box. You don't need to change the whole box. Because your box has already done 175,000 miles, presumably it had not had repair before, it is due for replacing as at least the chain inside would be very worn. Indications of a worn chain include hesitation when accelerating, knocking noise (the loose chain is knocking the case)...
Old 02-14-2014, 04:06 AM

A worn universal joint can be checked up by inspecting the rubber boot first then jacking up the front wheel, turning the wheel forward and reverse by hand, the less the play the better.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:51 AM

My friends I changed tires (brand new) and all the problems solved!!!!No any humming no any scrathes. The problem was the tires and the 4wheel drive was confused!!!!
Old 02-27-2014, 03:12 AM

I've finally got the DIS working on adaptation and service meter reset. After the transfer case reset, the 4X4 light is definitely more sensitive. When you hit a slippery surface, the 4X4 light will flash briefly, just like before the plastic gear was broken.

I've noticed if the adaptation is not carried out, the actuator attached resistor value was lost but I'm not sure at which point of time and the DIS ask you to allow the program to put it back.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoydriving View Post
I've noticed if the adaptation is not carried out, the actuator attached resistor value was lost but I'm not sure at which point of time and the DIS ask you to allow the program to put it back.
I'm not sure the resistor value is lost or disregarded if the adaption is not carried out right after replacing (or rotating) the gear.

Makes sense after a complete actuator replacement or any part of its control system.

But consider just a straight fluid replacement.
Adaption should be reset in this case too.
But what happens if it isn't?
It keeps using the same resistance measurement that it had before the work was done.

Must be the same after replacing or rotating the gear.

DIS maybe presents the question about putting the value back much like a Microsoft "Are you sure?" prompt.
Or possibly the question is there to give you the option of carrying on with the old value instead of (the preferred) starting of with a new calculated one?
Hopefully not the latter because that is not what you wanted.

What the prompt really means in some s/w is often only clear by what it says to you after you have picked a reponse. Unfortunately.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Transfer case vs Rear Differential?

Folks:
2005 X3 3.0i, manufactured 4/05, with 102K miles. Never changed driveline fluids

Am getting multiple stories from different repair shops (dealer, 2 transmission shops)

Symptoms:
a whining noise that increases in pitch until road noise masks it out.

hear/feel a groaning noise and clunk from rear end when turning at slow speeds.

occasionally smell something in front. Smelled when going into manual mode and downshifting to a stop.

What I've been told:

1 (Dealer): transfer case servo motor (in response to the groan)

2 (trans shop 1): Rear differential (response to Whine and Groan). Mechanic only listened during road test. wants to put in used differential (with 60K miles on it) for $900

3 (Trans shop 2): Put car on lift, listened with stethoscope. Noise from transfer case (they didn't check servo motor), no noises from differentials or wheel bearings.
Checked TC fluid (light color) and was satisfied, but I had little confidence in the techs. These guys didn't repair drivelines.

So, my questions -- Do I likely have one problem or two? Trust dealer and Tran shop 2 that there is an issue in transfer case? BMW wants $1100 to replace the servo motor.

Can bad transfer case and/or TC servo motor cause a whining noise?

Can bad TC or TC servo motor cause a groan from rear? OR is that more likely a rear differential that wouldn't make noise until under turning load?

Should I just replace fluids and see if the problems correct? (Note that BMW dealer believes changing fluids can CAUSE subsequent problems).

Not sure which should be first approach...

Thanks for your advice,
Old 03-03-2014, 01:47 AM

For 100K, the diffs are hardly worn out or broken down, I would just change the fluid.

I suspect the transfer case chain most, the drained old fluid should have already contain metal particles. For 100K, even change the chain is not too early. If in doubt , you can check the drained fluid first. Many reports said the chain got worn out and loose and caused the noise.

The servo motor fault won't cause the noise as you described. It can only cause the clicking noise when turning off the engine and when it starts failing. It also causes the set of warning lights coming on and lost certain functions. As a caution, i would check the servo motor plastic gear considering the high mileage done. My one failed at only 47k kms!

Last edited by enjoydriving; 03-03-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Error lights

I have a 2006 X3 and I had just the 4x4 yellow light on after an extremely rough gear change while turning a corner at low speed.
(Auto Gearbox had been rough changing from 2nd to N when coming to a stop for the last few months)
It Turned out to be a steering angle sensor. Paid AU$1500 for repair!
It still kicks hard when stopping.
Then today, just 2 months later, it is doing the same but with the occasional "crack" noise if accelerating too hard coming from the transmission, usually just between 2nd and third gear. Driving in SD or manual tiptronic doesn't help.

Now all three lights are on (yellow 4x4, yellow ABS and red handbrake with beep).
Strangely now my gearbox changes perfectly with no noise or kicks!
Unfortunately the warnings are still on but I'm tempted to ignore them however I do worry i am without my safety systems and perhaps also majority of my brake safety systems.
Does anyone out there have any clues or has seen this before?

I have tried the clutch soft reset myth without result.
I have also checked all tyres are sized and inflated to specs at all times.
It is over due for a service but if this keeps happening I won't be able to afford a service!!
Old 03-03-2014, 05:14 AM

I'm still trying to understand the full extend how the transfer case system work. It's certain now it's related to various sensors and brakes.
When my servo motor plastic gear broke, I noticed the ABS was no longer work. One indication is the hill start. The brake supposed to hold on a second or two after you release the foot brake pedal.

I guess you need to at least to have a code scanner or DIS program, then you can get a clear idea what's wrong. Sometimes trial and error or guess can get more expensive.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: E46 M3, JCW Mini S, X 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCo View Post
Folks:
2005 X3 3.0i, manufactured 4/05, with 102K miles. Never changed driveline fluids

Am getting multiple stories from different repair shops (dealer, 2 transmission shops)

Symptoms:
a whining noise that increases in pitch until road noise masks it out.

hear/feel a groaning noise and clunk from rear end when turning at slow speeds.

occasionally smell something in front. Smelled when going into manual mode and downshifting to a stop.

What I've been told:

1 (Dealer): transfer case servo motor (in response to the groan)

2 (trans shop 1): Rear differential (response to Whine and Groan). Mechanic only listened during road test. wants to put in used differential (with 60K miles on it) for $900

3 (Trans shop 2): Put car on lift, listened with stethoscope. Noise from transfer case (they didn't check servo motor), no noises from differentials or wheel bearings.
Checked TC fluid (light color) and was satisfied, but I had little confidence in the techs. These guys didn't repair drivelines.

So, my questions -- Do I likely have one problem or two? Trust dealer and Tran shop 2 that there is an issue in transfer case? BMW wants $1100 to replace the servo motor.

Can bad transfer case and/or TC servo motor cause a whining noise?

Can bad TC or TC servo motor cause a groan from rear? OR is that more likely a rear differential that wouldn't make noise until under turning load?

Should I just replace fluids and see if the problems correct? (Note that BMW dealer believes changing fluids can CAUSE subsequent problems).

Not sure which should be first approach...

Thanks for your advice,
I would start with changing the fluids. Regardless of "potentaly" causing more damage, you will have to open up the transfer case if the fluid change dose not address your issue.

My 2006 3.0 X3 was clunking at lower speeds, if felt like a bad U-joint. I did the transfer case fluid (used the BMW fluid) and it solved my clunking issue. If you are handy, you can do the transfer case fluid on your own and will be about to do with in 1/2 hour or so. The diff fluid is easy as well, but you may not have the proper wrench to get to the drain plug on the diff. You can see the various DIY's for either process.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by suss1173; 03-03-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2005
X3 transfer case issue.

I have an 05 BMW X3 3.0i. It has just under 105K miles. A couple weeks ago the "triad" of lights as someone called it ABS BRAKE 4x4 lights came on, after I was stuck in a snow bank following a storm here in Maryland. Took it to my mechanic and he reset the sensor, took it for a test drive and said they did not notice anything amiss on the drive. Since then the lights have come on and stay on intermittantly mainly at slow speeds. Today I noticed the loud clicking noise when I turned the car off. My mechanic told me if the lights stay on it is most likely the transfer case....his quote for repair was $3500, a second quote I got was $3000. It seems as tho I will have to replace the transfer case. I see from these forums that the part can be found from about $700-$900. If that is so I am getting gauged on the labor quote as it does not seem as it takes hours to fix this problem. I do have a couple other places I am checking with for quotes. My big question is how soon does it need to be fixed. I have not been driving the car and extraordinary amount since the time the lights appeared. Mostly to work and back which is 44 miles round trip. I know it needs to be fixed sooner rather than later but I just want to know if I have time to get the other quotes and possibly purchase the part myself to take to the mechanic if need be. Thanks for any information regarding this issue.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: X3 and 330
education youtube

show the techs the you tubes on the clicking .....get them to change the actuator gear that causes the clicking.....a few hundred bucks will put you in a better place and give them a good education....many techs just don't know how the bmw actuators work
Old 03-03-2014, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
I had some control unit fail (all three warning lights constantly on) and now it drives perfect no noise fo many here and the smoothest gear changes I have ever felt.. What ever failed is the culprit. I can't take it to bmw to diagnose what exactly did fail as I don't think they would let me leave with that many error lights up!