Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 06-22-2010, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 1988 M5
E28 M5 self leveling suspension

Hi, I recently bought a 1988 M5 with self leveling suspension (SLS) in the rear shocks. Just found out that there was no oil in the SLS reservoir by the spare tire. I went to the dealer and bought a quart of SLS hydralic fluid to fill it up (expensive at $26). It fills it at the minimum mark now.
When the car is runing, I hear the SLS pump runs (seems to be all the time), but not sure if the system is working. There seems to be no leak anywhere. The rear sits a bit lower than the front. How do I test or adjust the system to see if it works? Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 06-23-2010, 01:07 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkau View Post
Hi, I recently bought a 1988 M5 with self leveling suspension (SLS) in the rear shocks. Just found out that there was no oil in the SLS reservoir by the spare tire. I went to the dealer and bought a quart of SLS hydralic fluid to fill it up (expensive at $26). It fills it at the minimum mark now.
When the car is runing, I hear the SLS pump runs (seems to be all the time), but not sure if the system is working. There seems to be no leak anywhere. The rear sits a bit lower than the front. How do I test or adjust the system to see if it works? Thanks!
I looked in my Bentley manual and it has nothing to say about self-leveling. I do remember some time ago hearing about people converting to the regular rear suspension because of the problems they were experiencing. Maybe the guys on the M-series forum could be more helpful.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: 91 M5, 88 M5, 97 Exploder
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkau View Post
Head on over to myE28.com and search their archives. Plenty of M5 info there.
If you can get the car safely up in the air, you can try moving the linkage from the rear sway bar to a valve plumbed into the SLS system to see if that changes rear ride height.

My E28 SLS was removed by a PO, so can't do a direct comparison.