Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-19-2014, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
Cool 2003 525i trans limp mode / flickering lights.

I just purchased a 2003 525i with 152k on the clock.The check engine lamp would come on at traffic lights when stopped occasionally along with the transmission limp mode. The code was p0720. One other odd thing was I noticed all the lamps in the car were flickering or pulsing.
The car had a rebuilt bosh alternator that did not look very old. Upon checking the alternator with an old style analog needle type meter the charging output it was swinging low to high.
I put a digital volt meter on it and it would not pick up the rapid swing in voltage.

This had every symptom of a bad alternator. I replaced the alternator with a reman Bosch unit and it seemed to be fine. 2 days later here we go again with the check engine lamp and trans light again? Same code p0720 !

I found a loose ground cable from the battery on the rear body panel that looked good until you gave it a tug. Tightened the cabe and it has been fine ever since!
Ads by Google
Old 01-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
I'm going to cross reference this to the following thread so that others find it more easily in the future ...
- One user's TFP TRANS FAILSAFE PROG automatic transmission TPF experience stuck in limp mode (1)