Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 11-22-2003, 02:51 AM
In a BMW, life is good.

Send a message via ICQ to Dan4tuc58
Mein Auto: JB '06 330 to SB '08 e60
iPOD, for 3-series use: Buy Or Don't Buy?

I'm planning on getting the 20gig btw....OK, here goes... I was wondering how it actually sounds with just the standard system of a 3-series? I have only heard good things about the IPOD integrated with the stock head unit....out of all the DIYs out there which did you guys find the best? I was thinking of doing it the AUX/ flashlight/ glovebox way...Which install sounds closest to cd quality as opposed to tape quality? Does it leave you wishing there was some eq option on the ipod that you could mess with? What would i need to buy in order to use my steering wheel buttons to switch tracks etc?....I know there might be some DIY threads that i may have overlooked or read too quickly (and i plan to look through again later today...) ....but for the time being...and my lack of time to look through threads....if you could please help, it would be great. Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 11-22-2003, 10:49 AM
meh

Mein Auto: Z4
I don't have a 3-series, and haven't my iPod to the car yet. But I can address part of the sound issue. A big part of the sound difference will be what your music is encoded as. 128bit mp3's will be okay. 128bit aac (like purchased from the iTunes store, or encoded at home) will sound better. Higher bitrates will make a difference in either format. So no matter what someone says in this thread, be sure to ask how they were encoded.

The BMW solution will not allow you to change tracks from the steering wheel controls. I know there are a couple solutions out there that claim to allow this, but I have no experience with them.

--nw
Old 11-22-2003, 01:31 PM
In a BMW, life is good.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the help. Yeah I forgot to mention at what the files would be ripped at...i guess we can assume 192 kbps from now on or the acc from iTunes. thx
Old 11-22-2003, 06:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
It's been a while since I looked at all the various installation options, but I think my setup works fine. I have a blitzsafe adapter plugged into the stock CD changer harness. The adapter has two RCA inputs. I plugged a Y splitter into the inputs and then ran a line uner the carpet and up through the center console where the minijack may be pplugged into the ipod. I heard that Blitzsafe was developing an adapter that would allow you to control the ipod with the steering wheel buttons.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:32 PM
I'm all out of bubblegum

Mein Auto: '03 325i Sedan
I would say...goforit! I have a 20gb Nomad Zen with the aux input and flashlight DC adapter...it sounds better than the built in CD even though most of my MP3s are at 128 and 192kbps. I dont know about the ipod, but the Zen has an adjustable equalizer so I can adjust it before it goes into the stereo, I think that's why it sounds better than the CD playa.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:55 AM
In a BMW, life is good.

sweet, thanks for the help....now to find an aux input and the DC adapter tomorrow... hopefully Cutter Motors has those....i'm going to search for an actual DIY w/ pictures and steps....i really dont wanna mess up
Old 12-08-2003, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupcan325i
I would say...goforit! I have a 20gb Nomad Zen with the aux input and flashlight DC adapter...it sounds better than the built in CD even though most of my MP3s are at 128 and 192kbps. I dont know about the ipod, but the Zen has an adjustable equalizer so I can adjust it before it goes into the stereo, I think that's why it sounds better than the CD playa.
I just got a Zen and listening to it in the car to day, the sound quality is pretty bad. There is alot of noise (crackling/popping type stuff), and I encode everything at 320kbps. My old Riovolt mp3/cdplayer sounded 100x better. I can't even listen to some of the songs loud (not blasting loud), with both the player and the car turned all the way up it is basically normal volume.

Any suggestions??
Other wise I love it.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:25 PM
Ölmeßstabmeister

Mein Auto: '03 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proofrock
It's been a while since I looked at all the various installation options, but I think my setup works fine. I have a blitzsafe adapter plugged into the stock CD changer harness. The adapter has two RCA inputs. I plugged a Y splitter into the inputs and then ran a line uner the carpet and up through the center console where the minijack may be pplugged into the ipod. I heard that Blitzsafe was developing an adapter that would allow you to control the ipod with the steering wheel buttons.
I have the same setup and it works great (recently ran the line input from the trunk and under the carpet on the driveshaft hump (that was a pain!), with the headphone jack coming up underneath the armrest through the space between the armrest and center console -- theres enough space under the center console to store some slack in the cord when not using the iPod). The only thing I notice is that you need to turn the volume up on the car just a little bit for it to sound "normal" vs the radio or CD (this is with the iPod set to ~3/4 volume)

We also have a Blitzsafe in the Mini -- works just as well.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:26 PM
meroglot

Send a message via AIM to 'Cane
Mein Auto: ?
Blitzsafe (www.blitzsafe.com), is supposed to be introducing an adapter that will allow you to change tracks with the steering wheel. They told me about it last month.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:33 PM
Vegan, not Romulan

Send a message via ICQ to Pete Teoh Send a message via AIM to Pete Teoh Send a message via MSN to Pete Teoh Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Teoh
Mein Auto: ****
http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_forum...PagePosition=1
Old 12-08-2003, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
I use the OEM Aux-input...would that make a difference in sound quality?
Is the blitz better?
Old 12-08-2003, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Cane
Blitzsafe (www.blitzsafe.com), is supposed to be introducing an adapter that will allow you to change tracks with the steering wheel. They told me about it last month.
Wow. That would truly be "kick-ass".

The ideal would something that let you "dock" an ipod into a holder-- possibly in the glove-box, and then had a phatbox-like interface for navigation.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Just found this-- looks like this company already such a product available:

http://www.densionusa.com/icelink/icelink_details.htm