Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 XDrive35i
2011 X5 Premium Sound equalizer settings?

First of all, I realize that sound is a very personal experience. That being said, I am personally bad at differentiating subtle sounds. Are there any audiophile types out there who might have come up with some equalizer settings that those of us with Premium Sound can use as a default? I did some searching of forums but only found settings for the older prem. sound equalizer that had settings like "concert" etc. The 2011 does not have these settings, so I was hoping to get some info from someone who actually used the more current system. Thanks in advance!
Ads by Google
Old 06-26-2010, 06:27 AM
Yeaaah Baby!!!!

Mein Auto: PG X5 35i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyH View Post
First of all, I realize that sound is a very personal experience. That being said, I am personally bad at differentiating subtle sounds. Are there any audiophile types out there who might have come up with some equalizer settings that those of us with Premium Sound can use as a default? I did some searching of forums but only found settings for the older prem. sound equalizer that had settings like "concert" etc. The 2011 does not have these settings, so I was hoping to get some info from someone who actually used the more current system. Thanks in advance!
In the E92 I had, I changed the settings from higher on the ends Left side:bass, Right Side:Treble to lower in the middle:midrange (without actually lowering any sliders under default). The EQ would look like a slight grin. This all depends on the music you listen to. I would't go to crazy with the settings if I were you.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:27 AM
back to bimmer

Mein Auto: car
i agree with bigrob. last time i owned an equalizer was....well, urr, ... a long time ago, and I remeber the U-shaped pattern. I think the sliders go left-right on the X5 menu, so it would be C shaped. see itune link for desciption of each band

http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/tutorials/ituneseq/
Old 06-26-2010, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35i M Sport
I think the equalizer settings make or break the premium sound option. The defualt settings maybe why you've heard people complain about this option not being worth it. Dialed in correclty makes all the difference imo. Right for one is not right for all, so you may need to tweak a bit. I've had the premium sound for 6 years and tweaked several times to these settings. This is from my current 550i, i know the 2011 X5 premium sound is pictured longitudinally but, the settings still translate. Also, since the cabin is different 550i vs X5 this may effect the settings I have here. When i pick up my new X5 i will load these settings and adjust from here to try to get best sound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00197-20100623-1652.jpg
Views:	1072
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	236049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00198-20100623-1659.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	236050  
Current: '11 X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity M Sport Carbon Black Cinnamon Brown Dark Bamboo Anthracite Headliner M Sports Pkg Convenience Pkg Active Steering Comfort Access Heated Front Seats Navigation Premium Hi-Fi
Previous: '08 550i M Sport, '04 545i M Sport Kit, '01 525i

Old 06-26-2010, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cader View Post
I think the equalizer settings make or break the premium sound option. The defualt settings maybe why you've heard people complain about this option not being worth it. Dialed in correclty makes all the difference imo. Right for one is not right for all, so you may need to tweak a bit. I've had the premium sound for 6 years and tweaked several times to these settings. This is from my current 550i, i know the 2011 X5 premium sound is pictured longitudinally but, the settings still translate. Also, since the cabin is different 550i vs X5 this may effect the settings I have here. When i pick up my new X5 i will load these settings and adjust from here to try to get best sound.
That's Real nice of you to take the time to take pics and post, thanks for the effort.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejm View Post
That's Real nice of you to take the time to take pics and post, thanks for the effort.
thanks, though its was not a problem really as I snapped these the other day in my phone so I would have for my X5 when i take delivery. And this is probably a starting point for most, others may have completely different settings.
Current: '11 X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity M Sport Carbon Black Cinnamon Brown Dark Bamboo Anthracite Headliner M Sports Pkg Convenience Pkg Active Steering Comfort Access Heated Front Seats Navigation Premium Hi-Fi
Previous: '08 550i M Sport, '04 545i M Sport Kit, '01 525i

Last edited by Cader; 06-26-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 XDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cader View Post
thanks, though its was not a problem really as I snapped these the other day in my phone so I would have for my X5 when i take delivery. And this is probably a starting point for most, others may have completely different settings.
Thanks so much! I just gave her a bath and will load up the equalizer in the a.m.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW x5 x35i SA
These are my settings...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
Views:	1207
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	253503  
Old 11-06-2010, 07:43 AM

And equalizer...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
Views:	1505
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	253504  
Old 01-04-2011, 10:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 Xdrive35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory34 View Post
And equalizer...
I'll try them tomorrow and see how it sounds.. thanks for the snap

2011 X5D BLK/BLK: Premium, Tech, Cold, Sports Activity, Premium Sound, Rear Climate, Third Row, Comfort Access
2008 MB SLK280 BLK
2006 Acura TL Silver
2006 MB E350 4Matic BLK (Gone)
2001 Nissan Maxima BLK (Gone)
Old 01-05-2011, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Soon
I am surprised that many are boosting the bass. I am a big fan of bass, but actually find the default setting too high, mainly for my iPod.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 Xdrive35D
Quote:
And equalizer...
Thanks Gregory.... I changed the settings of the equalizer and played around a little bit, sounds lot better than before. Also turned off the surround sound and can see the difference for some songs.

2011 X5D BLK/BLK: Premium, Tech, Cold, Sports Activity, Premium Sound, Rear Climate, Third Row, Comfort Access
2008 MB SLK280 BLK
2006 Acura TL Silver
2006 MB E350 4Matic BLK (Gone)
2001 Nissan Maxima BLK (Gone)
Old 10-24-2011, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 Jet Black
Thank you all for your input, especially Gregory for the thumbnails. I just PU my new X5 Jet Black on black. Traded my 2008 that had 100,000. Did not want to take a chance with no warranty. This is my 3rd Beemer and my wife is on her 5th. Since I am not an audiophile I was wondering if someone (Gregory) could tell me what each of the settings on the equalizer are for. If I want more or less Bass what am I changing?

Couple of things I've already noticed. When using the phone book after a call it goes back to the phone book and not the listing you were on. So if one number does not answer you have to go back through the phone book again. No stopwatch. When pairing more than one phone, you have to manually go in and find your phone. Unlike before, it does not give you a preferential sequence of phones.

Looking forward to more discussions with all of you.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glboater View Post
Thank you all for your input, especially Gregory for the thumbnails. I just PU my new X5 Jet Black on black. Traded my 2008 that had 100,000. Did not want to take a chance with no warranty. This is my 3rd Beemer and my wife is on her 5th. Since I am not an audiophile I was wondering if someone (Gregory) could tell me what each of the settings on the equalizer are for. If I want more or less Bass what am I changing?

Couple of things I've already noticed. When using the phone book after a call it goes back to the phone book and not the listing you were on. So if one number does not answer you have to go back through the phone book again. No stopwatch. When pairing more than one phone, you have to manually go in and find your phone. Unlike before, it does not give you a preferential sequence of phones.

Looking forward to more discussions with all of you.
The different wavelenghts are for different bandwiths of sound. Boosting different bandwiths enhances certain sounds. Typically, it's used to correct for deficiencies in your listening environment. Check out this page for a little 'color'. http://www.scribd.com/doc/19058285/A...Settings-Guide
Old 10-26-2011, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: '06 330i
Quote:
The different wavelenghts are for different bandwiths of sound. Boosting different bandwiths enhances certain sounds. Typically, it's used to correct for deficiencies in your listening environment. Check out this page for a little 'color'. http://www.scribd.com/doc/19058285/A...Settings-Guide
This document has nothing to do with EQ'ing your car stereo, or even your home audio system. This document refers to EQ settings for recording instruments in a studio, and to some extent for live performance. Once a track is mixed and mastered, any EQ changes affect the whole track. So, while this refers to adding 60hz with a Q of 1.4 to add fullness to a kickdrum, if you employ the same method to your car stereo, you just added emphasis at 60hz to every instrument in the track, which could make everything sound bloated and muddy.

EQ's for consumer use should be used to attenuate frequencies in order to compensate for frequency modes and nulls in your listening environment. The goal is flat response.

Additionally, You should never boost frequencies with an EQ as this can quickly introduce distortion to your speakers as your amp struggles to maintain the volume relationships between each frequency. For every 3db of increase, you are doubling the output. At lower frequencies, in particular, your amp has to work twice as hard to produce a +3db signal, which sucks power away from the rest of the frequencies and produces distortion. Amps produce a limited amount of clean power, and when you boost frequencies like those in the pictures above, you are effectively reducing the volume at which your system can play cleanly. Plus, the resulting sound is nowhere near what the audio engineer intended when he mixed and mastered the track.

Any good car audio shop should have frequency analysis software that can measure the frequency response of your system and help achieve a neutral EQ curve for not much money. Based on the EQ curves above, I think a lot of you would be shocked at what a neutral curve looks, and sounds like. But, as someone said, it's personal preference... To each, his own...
Old 10-26-2011, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 SAV
Spot on!

Someone on the F10 forum posted EQ settings based on a similar diagnostic test. Again, those are specific to the F10 environment.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:42 AM

Mein Auto: X5, E30 Cabrio
I just picked up my new X5 diesel with premium sound. My old e53 had the base stereo, but I upgraded the old speakers with a BSW stage 1. The old setup had fantastic clarity, but lacked power and base. The new car has great power and bass, but the stock speakers are very muddy. I played around with the EQ, and you really can dial much of the mud out of the system by filtering out the mid to low bands. If you care about sound, and spent $1500 on the premium option, you have to take the time to play with these settings.
1991 325i vertible