Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 06-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '09 328i sedan, '02 525iT
Anyone seen/driven 535 non sport, non dynamic handling,non IAS?

I know this is a pretty base car, but that's what I would like to see for a comparison. Wondering how this car would do without all the suspension goodies. How tight is the base suspension on this car. it seems like a lot of extra dough to spend an extra $8,100 to get the sport package and dynamic handling (which then requires leather seats for $1,450) and the integrative active steering.

My feeling is that the base car should be plenty good and handle like a BMW without having to spend a ton more to get a good handling, performance european sedan.

I love my "base" '09 328i sedan, 6MT, sport package (with suspension upgrade included). It handles wonderfully. This is what I am thinking
535i sedan
6 speed manual transmission
deep sea blue
black leatherette
aluminum trim
a few other audio things...but basically that's it. a "plain jane" 5 series.
Good, bad or otherwise? Thoughts?
2007 BMW 530xi wagon green/beige, sport, premium, cold weather
GONE
2002 BMW 525i topaz blue wagon
2009 BMW 328i montego blue sedan (european delivery 2009)
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2010, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X6
I test drove a 535i (2011) recently. Standard, no Dynamic Handling or Integral Steering or Sports Pkg. It felt very numb to drive almost Toyota or Honda like. I don't think it will feel nearly as sporty as a 3 series without the handling packages (which is unfortunate since the base price is already pretty high). I have not yet driven a 535i with all the handling packages but a 550i with the Dynamic Handling was quite fun (and powerful).
Old 06-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-GT View Post
I test drove a 535i (2011) recently. Standard, no Dynamic Handling or Integral Steering or Sports Pkg. It felt very numb to drive almost Toyota or Honda like. I don't think it will feel nearly as sporty as a 3 series without the handling packages (which is unfortunate since the base price is already pretty high). I have not yet driven a 535i with all the handling packages but a 550i with the Dynamic Handling was quite fun (and powerful).
Not the opinion of most posters (including me) who got to drive a base 535i at the BMW Ultimate Driving Event with professional drivers on a closed course. They used a base car to compare to the competition.

OP look for threads from those who have attended an UDE. Almost universal opinion is that the car is GREAT!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 06-05-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Not the opinion of most posters (including me) who got to drive a base 535i at the BMW Ultimate Driving Event with professional drivers on a closed course. They used a base car to compare to the competition.

OP look for threads from those who have attended an UDE. Almost universal opinion is that the car is GREAT!
Good. That's what I was hoping. My local dealer has a base car without the suspension or steering package. I couldn't drive it today. I'll try next week.
GONE
Old 06-05-2010, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: Something or other
I would say the opposite... I drove a fully optioned 550 sport AT and a pretty much base 535 AT. Granted my 550/535 back-to-back drives were short but here goes:
- 550: incredible power, high grip (not sure of dyn options but probably most on list were checked)
- 535: a bit raw sound, not so crazy power, felt noticeably lighter, especially on the nose, drove more like a normal car. Much more feel/connection, though still far removed from traditional bmw.

If I were to build one, I'd get SP (of course) and MT. The upgrade seats would be a must as well... The rest of the techno-babble... Ummm, not for me. Hated the HUD. Undecided on engine. Generally I'd go for the I-6. Definitely the turbo v8 is something special. Honestly I was underwhelmed by the n55 but that could be the slushy or the wrong order in which they were driven. Also underwhelmed by steering feel, no better than my current a4 ('10) and usually audi lags bmw's in steering feel. Both were bigger than I'm used (owned a e39 back in the day, now drive cayman and a4). Then again I'm not the target audience for this car really.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: car
Same, I am very happy with the standard base 535i. Its not numb like a Toyota, not even close. Its smooth, tight, and has great feel over smooth and bad roads and twisting road. It feels nicer than my 335xi coupe of course. I will not be getting the dynamic handling package.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:47 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
I test drove a base F10 535 last week with no sport, no dynamic handling and no IAS. My initial impression was that the car felt disconnected to the road. I did not expect the car to wrap around me like my 3, but it felt smaller and lighter that it actually is. The overall ride quality and handling was great but the steering feedback could be better. After reading several reviews of the F10 with the dynamic handling package and how precise the steering response is in the sport modes I pulled the trigger on a new F10 with these options :-)

I am scheduled to test drive the 535 with sport + DH package this week. Will post my comparison after the drive...
Old 06-07-2010, 06:25 AM

Thanks for the honest replies. It's sad that the base 535i isn't coming with the standard suspension goodies BMW is known for and they make you buy all the upgrades. Even making you pay for the ipod adapter come on! It's not the money there, it is the principle that on a 50K car you have to pay for that.
GONE
Old 06-27-2010, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Cv
my CA who we have bought several cars with before is a real straightshooter, and he is not slated to make any more depending on what options we choose. He felt strongly that getting the F10 535i/550i without the sport and DHP was a huge mistake. For the 528i, he didn't feel very strongly.

It's sad that we have to cough up $4600+ for what are really integral elements of the BMW experience, but it seems like there is a little choice.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 z4 28i
testdrove a 535 on saturday with the spouse. perfect for a family car & daily city commuter but not as tight as my 328 cabrio. imho no need to spend for the suspension upgrades if buying for these purposes
Old 06-27-2010, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530IA
I drove a 535i base last week....and I liked the car, though it surprisingly felt less connected to the road that my non sport e39 530i. I also drove a non sport 335d the same day and was highly disappointed in the way it drove...except for the wonderful engine/transmission. Its been a while since I've test driven a variety of luxury cars; but I suspect the competition also has some good options.