Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 528i, M52TU w/stick
Tamper dot with replacement (used) LCM. Should I code the dot out PRIOR to driving?

The original 4/99 build LCM III in my car recently decided to go bananas after an unusually frigid cold spell here. I replaced it today with a used (10/99 build) LCM III that I purchased on ebay.

Now, everything seems to be back to normal, all lights work again as they should; the turn signal stalk operates the lights as designed. Only thing I knew I'd have to deal with is the tamper dot.

I have not driven the car out of the drive-way yet. What I would like to know is, should I learn how to code the replacement LCM and remove that dot PRIOR to driving the car, or whether it will matter?
Ads by Google
Old 12-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Ball Don't lie

Mein Auto: 2001 Dinan m5
It's difficult but you just need PA 1.4 to code the mileage which you should've wrote it down. The for will go away. You will still get tamper warnings when you scan it but you won't see it on the cluster
Resident Grammar and Spelling expert
Old 12-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I don't have a clue as to the answer, so, I'll just cross reference to the tamper-dot threads ...
- What triggers the E39 tamperdot and how the VIN and mileage and service interval are associated with the cluster red tamper dot (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 12-28-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hh3uunp View Post
It's difficult but you just need PA 1.4 to code the mileage which you should've wrote it down. The for will go away. You will still get tamper warnings when you scan it but you won't see it on the cluster
I have the mileage data. Replacement LCM is from a MY2000 M5 with about 30,000 miles less than mine (Does it matter?)

PA 1.4? You mean PA Soft or ....? I thought that the one with coding functions cost quite a bit and that the ones on/through ebay were only able to read data.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
I don't have a clue as to the answer, so, I'll just cross reference to the tamper-dot threads ...
- What triggers the E39 tamperdot and how the VIN and mileage and service interval are associated with the cluster red tamper dot (1)
Thanks for that link, I've read through it before and still haven't absorbed all the info in there.

I suppose what I'm worried about is, if I don't code the replacement LCM right away, and I end up driving the car beyond 120 km (or was it miles?), will some sort of permanent record of tampering be kept in the IKE?

I wouldn't be asking these questions if I had LCM coding ability and knew how to use it. The more I read about this stuff, the more confusing it seems.

So far I've gained the impression I need either PA Soft (BMW Scanner 1.40) or EasyDIS v44 to be able to code my car's VIN into the replacement LCM. Still not understanding whether I need to plug in my car's actual mileage or set the recorded mileage in the replacement unit to "0" ....
Old 12-29-2013, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
...if I don't code the replacement LCM right away, and I end up driving the car beyond 120 km (or was it miles?), will some sort of permanent record of tampering be kept in the IKE?....
First, if the VIN doesn't match in the IKE & LCM...the tamper dot illuminates and they DON'T exchange any info between each other (see data point #1).

Second, the LCM can only be overwritten with a HIGHER mileage...(see data point #4).

Third, if the mileage differs by MORE THAN 120 miles (this is when the VINs match)...then a data transfer fault will be stored in the IKE (see data point #5).

Everything you need to know or get done requires that the SIX data points in the info below are taken care of...and a BMW dealerships equipment CAN NOT overwrite a used cluster or LCM (see the 1st paragraph AFTER data point #6). They can only work with new or remanufactured components that have officially been "zeroed":

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 12-29-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:56 PM

Thanks for that refresher Q.

So, to code the replacement LCM (providing I can get all the hardware/software to work together), I assumed I would need to input only my car's VIN and mileage (higher by 30,000 mi).

I've spent the afternoon installing EasyDIS v44. Not sure I've succeeded as I haven't yet plugged the laptop into the car, but since this is originally based on the GT1/DIS system that the dealerships use, and you say that they can't overwrite a used LCM with it, then hmmmmmm.... am I limited to finding a coding-capable version of PA Soft (BMW Scanner 1.40) as recommended above?

The other concern I still have is, assuming I ignored the tamper dot for now and drive the car over 120 mi, then, beyond that point, some sort of tampering fault data will be permanently stored in the IKE memory whether I later code the replacement LCM or not?
Old 12-30-2013, 06:04 PM

An additional question per QSilver7's list of data points, namely #2. How can the IKE ever be at 0 miles? Is that a typo for LCM?
Old 12-30-2013, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
An additional question per QSilver7's list of data points, namely #2. How can the IKE ever be at 0 miles? Is that a typo for LCM?
A new cluster/IKE (or a used cluster zeroed by aftermarket software/hardware) will be at zero miles, which then allows the VIN (ID) to be coded to it (see #3)...when the VINs match, then the LCM will share its data with the IKE (mileage & Serv Interval data) as mentioned in #2.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 01-07-2014, 11:58 AM

Minor update....

I ordered an ebay version of the bmw scanner 1.4.0 package, waiting now for HK shipment on that and hope it allows me to code the used LCM.

In the meantime, while I wait, I re-installed my original LCM III and followed the various GT1/DIS v44 install write-ups on the forums and succeeded in getting that to work with my INPA/EDIABAS cable plugged into the round port under the hood. Great way to spend vacation (not...).

However.... an interesting twist. The DIS utility allows me to access everything following the e39 menu selection *except* the recoding feature, and returns with "IKE/KOMBI no response" (or something like that....), suggesting I recheck the cables, ignition, battery charge and so forth. It allows me to move ahead with retrofitting and reading codes and everything else that I don't want to do. (Battery is fine, I have it on a charger when doing these diagnostic procedures with the ignition key on. I get the same results with the engine running....)

So.... is it possible my IKE/cluster is toast?

Aside: When I access my LCM III through INPA, and check it for errors, it claims it is error-free.

----edit----

Out of curiosity, I decided to pull the cluster. Lo and behold, the car has a replacement cluster already. Dated 01.04.2005 with an 1122 2005 stamp on top.

My maintenance records on this car go back to 2006, dealer claims nothing older is in their database. One-owner car before me, and he typically had all his work done at BMW dealerships, so I'd assume this was a new cluster when installed.

Anything serviceable inside? Looks as though it's made to be disassembled but my only reason for pulling was to see whether the connectors had any moisture/corrosion on them.

Last edited by pleiades; 01-07-2014 at 01:12 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
its a car computer.. not the NSA.... you can get it now or later... the codes can be whip'd, flipped up side down.. turned inside out...

with the right tool you can pwn your car... its like jail brake for the car... just cooler
Old 01-07-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
its a car computer.. not the NSA.... you can get it now or later... the codes can be whip'd, flipped up side down.. turned inside out...

with the right tool you can pwn your car... its like jail brake for the car... just cooler
As usual you have nothing intelligent to say. Go find some other thread to troll.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
Really? Ive got nothing good to say? but you cant seem to figre out how to code the LCm ... Ok what ever you want.. good luck

since you want to be a smart ass i leave you with this.. figure out your software version b4 you pull it next time tough guy

Last edited by Burning2nd; 01-07-2014 at 04:38 PM.