inco plan's CCV System Questions and Rambling Thread - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-29-2017, 11:46 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528, Aston Martin DB7
inco plan's CCV System Questions and Rambling Thread

G.A.S. BMW M54 CCV System Frequently Asked Questions
Everything you ever wanted to know about the German Auto Solutions CCV System.

Question:
I see the G.A.S. CCV still retains the drain back hose to the oil pan like the OEM BMW unit. What keeps the G.A.S. CCV drain back hose from clogging up like the stock BMW one?

Answer:
Several things actually. First, the G.A.S. CCV does a better job of removing the carbon based crud from the blowby gases and trapping it in the oil separator where it gets washed out as part of your oil change procedure instead ending up in the drain back hose. Second, the extra volume of clean oil that gets removed from the blowby gases by the secondary oil separator helps to wash down the inside of the hose. Third, the gooey white emulsified sludge that can clog up the hose in cold weather with the stock CCV doesn't happen with the G.A.S. CCV because it runs at engine temperature which turns the sludge back into oil. Forth, the G.A.S. CCV System includes a custom cleaning wand that cleans the entire length of the drain back hose including the 90 degree bend at the dipstick tube.

The interesting question is:
Where exactly is the to be washed out oil saved and for how long; which substance is saved and which substance goes in the drain back hose ?
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2017, 05:33 AM
RIP #9

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
The answer to your question is on the G.A.S. CCV page(s).
Old 06-30-2017, 07:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 530I Sport
Inco, try going to the German Auto Solutions website. Every question and doubt you have is answered.

Also, it sounds like you are haooy with your jerry rigged home set up. So why are you so concerned with this? You obviousky have zero intention if purchasing one.

Sent from my LG-G6 using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2017, 09:29 AM

see FAQ site G.A.S.

" removing the carbon based crud from the blowby gases and trapping it in the oil separator where it gets washed out as part of your oil change procedure instead ending up in the drain back hose".

This is incomprehensible because Gary claims the chequevalve opens after switching of the engine and separated ol from blowby gases is drained tot the oilpan and does not remain somewhere in the CCV.
That is what Gary writes.

"Washed out as part of the oilchange procedure" is a very new argument and one of the two statements must be incorrect.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:56 AM
Bimmerfest.com Founder

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
inco plan - I've moved your questions to a new thread. You're no longer allowed to participate in this thread - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=615126. Any questions or random crap you want to post about CCVs you can now do in your own thread.

Enjoy and ask away to your hearts content,
Tim
Old 06-30-2017, 10:16 AM

The G.A.S. CCV obvious is a kind of a m..fit.
ASAP the CCV is released ( this year/next year ? ) I will get one to analyse its working job to find out the answers on my questions.
There are contradictions here and on the G.A.S. site about the CCV.
What I will find I will tell here, unless the Lord here forbids it.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:35 AM
RIP #9

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by inco plan View Post
see FAQ site G.A.S.

" removing the carbon based crud from the blowby gases and trapping it in the oil separator where it gets washed out as part of your oil change procedure instead ending up in the drain back hose".

This is incomprehensible because Gary claims the chequevalve opens after switching of the engine and separated ol from blowby gases is drained tot the oilpan and does not remain somewhere in the CCV.
That is what Gary writes.

"Washed out as part of the oilchange procedure" is a very new argument and one of the two statements must be incorrect.
I think you misunderstand what Gary wrote -- in fact, I misunderstood what he wrote, too.

The question from his FAQ is specific to drain hose clogging. The "carbon-based crud" mentioned in his answer DOES indeed travel through the drain hose to the oil pan (where it is "washed out" [read: removed] when you drain the oil pan during an oil change). But the "carbon-based crud" does not STAY in the drain hose like it does (or might) in a stock CCV setup.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:58 AM
BMW ****ie

Mein Auto: 530i Sport Package

My CCV failed around 120k. I had it replaced with the stock CCV and have not had an issue since. I am now around 145k.

I live in a mild climate (Bellevue WA). The temperature range does not fluctuate anywhere near as bad as it does in my home town, Chicago.

It rarely drops below freezing. Winters run in the low 40s summers in the high 70s. I do not know much about the CCV but my impression is climate plays a major role in its longevity as in freezing temperatures coupled with short trips causes issues over time.

In my view, if the stock CCV lasts 100k miles or more, then it is a perfectly fine mechanism. Spending a few hundred dollars every eight to twelve years (based on your driving habits) isn't bad at all. If you live in a climate where it fails at 70k or less, you might be better off with an alternative.

After having all of the mild oil leaks addressed, I have not added oil to my car in several months. Previously I was adding half a quart every three to five months (it seems). I drive my car hard as in putting the pedal to the metal when entering the freeway and quick accelerations from dead stops.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Don't you have anything better to do? Anything.... Anything???
Old 06-30-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHockeytowner View Post
I think you misunderstand what Gary wrote -- in fact, I misunderstood what he wrote, too.

The question from his FAQ is specific to drain hose clogging. The "carbon-based crud" mentioned in his answer DOES indeed travel through the drain hose to the oil pan (where it is "washed out" [read: removed] when you drain the oil pan during an oil change). But the "carbon-based crud" does not STAY in the drain hose like it does (or might) in a stock CCV setup.
I am afraid you are right.
The context makes clear.

Last edited by inco plan; 07-01-2017 at 12:11 AM. Reason: rereading G.A.S. site
Old 06-30-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
Don't you have anything better to do? Anything.... Anything???
I am the only one regarding my own timetable.
And yes, I am a very busy person, jet building/rebuilding my own house which is already
for eighty years in the family; servicing my 3 cars, doing the gardenery and inventing some machinery.
Why I am telling this ? You are asking for.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:47 PM

One of my cars, the BMW 528i E39, did consume a lot of oil, about 1L/1000 km.
I guess this was the reason the vendor sold the car.
My Audi A6 was a total loss in a very heavy frontal collision, so I needed in short time a car on LPG.
The BMW, about 100K miles, was looking great, had a great equipment and was not visible smoking oil.
But after 500 km there was an oil problem.

I already had an experience with a BMW OEM CCV.
So I replaced that CCV, stock vacuum regulator and a BMW X-5 cyclone.
Yesterday I chequed oil after 5200 km. Oil level on the dipstick still at max. IF at all at a lower point, it is not to determine.

During the daily drive the main speed is 60 mph and every day I speed up to about 100 mph during 1 mile.
My right foot almost never kicks the pedal to the floor in a split second. That takes much longer, better for the gasolin reservoir, blowby etc etc.
I think that's also why oilconsumption is about zero. Helping a bit will do slightly more vacuum.

Last edited by inco plan; 06-30-2017 at 03:14 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search