Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-23-2003, 06:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 x5 4.4i; '02 330Ci
Snow Tire Recommendations?

Hi, I live in Vancouver, BC, where doesn't snow often, but when it does the roads are chaos if you don't have snow tires. Besides handling the occassional snow fall, I'm going to be driving to/from Whistler and the other local ski hills regularly and will need good snow traction on those days. I'll also take at least a couple trips per winter into the BC interior on icy/snowy highways. Hence, I'm looking for a good snow tire first, and secondly one that will handle and last on wet pavement as well. Low noise would be my third priority.

I'll be putting them on in late Nov. and taking them off in early March.

What would you recommend?

They would be riding on factory 18" wheels which I'm still trying to find... if anyone want's to sell a set, let me know.

Thanks,
VR

Last edited by virtualrain; 11-23-2003 at 07:03 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-24-2003, 01:53 AM

Mein Auto: Depends on my mood.
Snow tires are unheard of in southern california, but i'm sure you can find a good set at tirerack.com
Old 11-25-2003, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: F10 MSport
I purchased a set of Pirelli's mounted on alloys from my dealer. They had premounted packages that were pretty attractive. All in all, I am pleased with the Pirelli's. Traction in deep snow and on ice has been excellent.

My wife's 3er got a set of Michelin Alpin's. They are equally as good in the snow (as tested over the past month here in Calgary). You may want to check with the local dealer and see what they are selling premounted on alloy rims.

22 Retired and thoroughly enjoyed Bimmers
Old 11-25-2003, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ademitt
I purchased a set of Pirelli's mounted on alloys from my dealer. They had premounted packages that were pretty attractive. All in all, I am pleased with the Pirelli's. Traction in deep snow and on ice has been excellent.

My wife's 3er got a set of Michelin Alpin's. They are equally as good in the snow (as tested over the past month here in Calgary). You may want to check with the local dealer and see what they are selling premounted on alloy rims.
If you don't mind me asking, roughly what did you pay for your package...i know calgary $$$tealer prices won't be the exact same as toronto, but they should hopefully give me a rough idea. Plus we have to pay provincial sales tax booooo

I'm asking for my mother's car...i already got ripped off by the $$$tealer for my own 325iT's Pirelli SNowsports last year...great tires, though. Excellent performance even in the dry, ABS rarely comes on when braking in snow/ice...even under fairly hard braking going down hills. Beats the pants off of all-seasons, that's for damn sure.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:01 PM

On my 5er, I got a package price of alloys (cross spoke 16") mounted with the Pirellis at $2400 if memory serves well.

On the boss' 3er, I already had the steel rims so the cost was $160 per corner for the Alpins including the tire taxes. I had just bought alloys for it so I had the steel rims and caps sitting in the garage.

Hope this of help to you.

Old 11-27-2003, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: Depends on my mood.
Quote:
On my 5er, I got a package price of alloys (cross spoke 16") mounted with the Pirellis at $2400 if memory serves well.

On the boss' 3er, I already had the steel rims so the cost was $160 per corner for the Alpins including the tire taxes. I had just bought alloys for it so I had the steel rims and caps sitting in the garage.

At first I thought that $2400 was in USD.. , I was worried you paid the BMW premium
Old 11-28-2003, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
Quote:

thanks ademitt.

i was actually asking about X5 packages...i didn't realize until reading more closely that you were running a 5...but thanks anyway!

How do you like the Alpins on your 3? I'm running Pirelli SNowsports for winter on my 3, but would consider other makes....I've heard good things about the Alpins.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:13 AM

I've driven my wife's 3 with the Alpins and I find them to be great. We have had a fair bit of snow already in Calgary (snow on the ground since October 28) with very icy roads on several occaisions. In all honesty, I find the Alpins a little quieter on the dry than the Pirellis. The Pirellis, imo, are better in the deeper snow. That may be be more realted to them being on the 5 rather than the 3. In any event, I don't think you can go wrong with either tire for the 5 months or so you need them on your car.

Old 12-16-2003, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0, 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualrain
Hi, I live in Vancouver, BC, where doesn't snow often, but when it does the roads are chaos if you don't have snow tires... What would you recommend?Thanks,VR
I just put some Dunlop Grandtrek WT M2s on my 3.0i. I was trying to decide between this tire, the straight Dunlop M2, and the Pirelli Scorpions. So far, I'm impressed with the Grandtreks. (It's the tire Dunlop recommends for the X5.)

They are suprisingly quiet, and much better at highway speeds than I expected. (The sidewall seems quite firm for a snow tire.) Though we've only had one 8" snowfall this year (it's mid-December), they felt safe and secure. There is simply no comparison between this tire and the original all season Michelins.

Also nice was the price: $109 (US) per tire at Tire Rack. (I don't know if they ship to Canada.)

Last edited by Phil F; 12-16-2003 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: '01 x5 4.4i; '02 330Ci
I ended up getting the Scorpion Ice and Snow (255/55-18 on my style 69 winter wheels). The tires are great so far on dry, wet and snow. In heavy rain, they don't hydroplane nearly as easily (deep rain grooves) and in the snow and on ice they grip incredibly well but will still break loose if you drive like an idiot (I had some fun in the parking lot!)

Noise is very good and appearance wise they look fine as well. Last but not least, the price was reasonable ($250 CDN each) and they were in stock at a local discount tire distributor here who installed them for free.

I give the Scorpions a...

- VR