Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by richschneid View Post
I read the C&D report today as well. The main areas they didn't like were amenities and steering feel. They said the steering had the best feel on the highway. The amenities can be ordered per your own taste and there are far more available on the 550i than the A6 or S6. Besides, I drove the 550i with sport package and sport transmission really hard and fast on a back country winding hilly road yesterday and the steering feel in sport mode was just fine. I'm more concerned with highway stability anyway because I do a lot more driving on the highway than on the twisties.

Where I agree with C&D is that the F10 is very luxurious. In comfort mode it feels like a Limo.

Ordered my 550i xDrive yesterday for delivery in October. I got every available option except the ski bag and rear entertainment.
First of all, congrats on your upcoming F10 550i.... I just wanted to say that my biggest problem when test driving the F10 was how massive and heavy it felt vs my E60. The long undulating hood even seemed to affect my frontal visibility. I know, it's a larger, heavier car (and probably closer in driving feel to a 6 or 7 series than the previous 5er).... something that I will have to get used to if I decide to buy one..... and I probably will, even after all my complaining.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuts3 View Post
First of all, congrats on your upcoming F10 550i.... I just wanted to say that my biggest problem when test driving the F10 was how massive and heavy it felt vs my E60. The long undulating hood even seemed to affect my frontal visibility. I know, it's a larger, heavier car (and probably closer in driving feel to a 6 or 7 series than the previous 5er).... something that I will have to get used to if I decide to buy one..... and I probably will, even after all my complaining.
No actually, the E60 550i weighs around 4000 lbs and my 650i weighs around 3800 lbs. The 550i I drove compared quite favorably in feel to my 650i. The handling was very similar but the F10 was faster and has the choice of suspension settings which the 650i doesn't. I definitely like the F10 550i much better than my 650i. And my 650i is the best car I have ever driven on the street. I have driven some I liked better on the track, but I have only done that once, at the BMW facility in South Carolina. The M cars are better on the track, but I vastly prefer my 650i over my E39 M5 for normal driving.

I don't think you will have any trouble getting used to driving the F10 550i. In fact, in about one day you will be spoiled by it and never want to drive anything else. That is until the new 5 comes out in 2017. That's the way I feel about my 650i. Except of course not now since I have driven the F10.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
The car is massive; people who are used to a E90 or E60 will all agree on that. It's not the length but the width of the car that makes it so. Also some of the sight lines are hard to make out at first which makes it a little unnerving in the underground parking lot @ Target in West Hollywood; tight spaces and lots of kids. The A pillar is so massive you need to get used to a blind spot where the A pillar and side mirrors meet. After a week it will seem like second nature to you. Humans are extremely good at adapting to their surroundings, and on the open road the car does shrink around you
The width also has a huge advantage in terms of comfort feel. The car feels much more inviting and airy. The E60 has more of a cockpit feel and especially in the back it's way too cramped for adults. You feel like you could swim inside this car. Depending on your perspective this is either good or bad. For my red meat eating American arse, I'd rather have it large and in charge. It's Goldilocks for me. 3 is too small, 7 is too big, 5 is just right.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
The car is massive; people who are used to a E90 or E60 will all agree on that. It's not the length but the width of the car that makes it so. Also some of the sight lines are hard to make out at first which makes it a little unnerving in the underground parking lot @ Target in West Hollywood; tight spaces and lots of kids. The A pillar is so massive you need to get used to a blind spot where the A pillar and side mirrors meet. After a week it will seem like second nature to you. Humans are extremely good at adapting to their surroundings, and on the open road the car does shrink around you
The width also has a huge advantage in terms of comfort feel. The car feels much more inviting and airy. The E60 has more of a cockpit feel and especially in the back it's way too cramped for adults. You feel like you could swim inside this car. Depending on your perspective this is either good or bad. For my red meat eating American arse, I'd rather have it large and in charge. It's Goldilocks for me. 3 is too small, 7 is too big, 5 is just right.
Thanks for your input. As a curent E-60 driver, I appreciate your perspective - not because you agree with me but because you understand the adjustments one has to make when going from the E60 to the F10.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your input. As a curent E-60 driver, I appreciate your perspective - not because you agree with me but because you understand the adjustments one has to make when going from the E60 to the F10.
Everything is relative.
For me I had to choose between the following products. Here are my notes from the car buying process:
I have issues with FWD cars, so all of those are out, which effectively leaves me with a small pool of choices.
1. BMW 535i - No more oddly shaped Chris Bangle designs. New turbo inline 6, replacing painfully problematic fuel pumps. Love the inside and out.
2. Mercedes E Class - Over promise, under deliver. The V6 Honda Acoord has more horse power then the E350. Leather is an order from factory only option on this car, what a joke.
3. Audi A6 - New model on the horizon. I like the Supercharged DI V6 though.
4. Acura RL - Acura needs to fire everyone on their exterior design teams. You make cars, not Intergallatic space crusiers.
5. Jaguar XF - Hmm, bankrupt more times then Larry King has ex-wives, sold to Ford, sold to Tata. Reliability history of a Ukranian built IPhone.
6. Infiniti M - For that much money, I'd rather have a German Car.
7. Lexus GS - Aside from the back, I like how these look, but was surprised at all the quality issues people have mentioned on these. Get your house in order Toyota.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
Everything is relative.
For me I had to choose between the following products. Here are my notes from the car buying process:
I have issues with FWD cars, so all of those are out, which effectively leaves me with a small pool of choices.
1. BMW 535i - No more oddly shaped Chris Bangle designs. New turbo inline 6, replacing painfully problematic fuel pumps. Love the inside and out.
2. Mercedes E Class - Over promise, under deliver. The V6 Honda Acoord has more horse power then the E350. Leather is an order from factory only option on this car, what a joke.
3. Audi A6 - New model on the horizon. I like the Supercharged DI V6 though.
4. Acura RL - Acura needs to fire everyone on their exterior design teams. You make cars, not Intergallatic space crusiers.
5. Jaguar XF - Hmm, bankrupt more times then Larry King has ex-wives, sold to Ford, sold to Tata. Reliability history of a Ukranian built IPhone.
6. Infiniti M - For that much money, I'd rather have a German Car.
7. Lexus GS - Aside from the back, I like how these look, but was surprised at all the quality issues people have mentioned on these. Get your house in order Toyota.
+1 your comments. That's why, after making the rounds, I know I'm going to end up with the F10. Yeah I know, most people would love to have my problem.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:53 PM

This is finally online:
2010 Audi A6 3.0T Quattro vs. 2011 BMW 535i, 2011 Infiniti M37 - Comparison Tests
Old 07-22-2010, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMWs
Quote:
We can go back and forth on this steering issue all day long. I am proudly a BMW fan boy, and have been for a long time. But after test driving both the F10 535 and 550, I have to honestly say that the steering felt numb and both cars felt massive, just like the C&D article described. Just a fact. We just have to accept this until if/when BMW decides to fix this problem. I hope they do, but if not there are suitable alternatives out there, I hope. But so far I haven't found any that I would buy.

I drove an F10 535 recently also and agree with the numb steering. My E39s had a much better feel. Might be these cars are getting a little too big but BMW in any case should keep steering feel as the one thing they absolutely need to get right on all of their models.

Last edited by kenomail; 07-22-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Hard to tell if the 535 has the dynamic handling package, but my guess is that it has - BMW would be stupid not to provide it to C/D, and C/D would be stupid not to test one without it. I did a pricing on BMWUSA, and with ZSP, DHP, ZPP, and metallic color, the final price of $57,725 is exactly the price shown by C/D.

Applaud Audi for offering the best tires on the market, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. Acura TL is the only other car that I know comes with these tires. A6 also has full-size spare. BMW - you can think hard again about your Runflats.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
Hard to tell if the 535 has the dynamic handling package, but my guess is that it has - BMW would be stupid not to provide it to C/D, and C/D would be stupid not to test one without it. I did a pricing on BMWUSA, and with ZSP, DHP, ZPP, and metallic color, the final price of $57,725 is exactly the price shown by C/D.

Applaud Audi for offering the best tires on the market, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. Acura TL is the only other car that I know comes with these tires. A6 also has full-size spare. BMW - you can think hard again about your Runflats.
In the video portion of the test, the 535i does have ZDH, Dynamic Handling Package, the driver mentions Sport and sport+ modes.
M3's come with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. So far the Good Year RFT's have been pretty good. Much better than I anticipated. However, I agree, still am not convinced to spend 1500 on a replacement set, when I can spend 800-1000 and buy a patch kit and an air compressor.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:16 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Yeah I read that review and I think its a joke. The 5er should have topped that review. I don't own one but I have driven all 3 of those cars and I think the Audi ranking is a joke!

I rank cars in this class as follows:
1) BMW 550i
2) Jag XF 5.0
3) Infiniti M56S
4) Lexus GS460
5) Audi A6 4.2
6) Mercedes E550 (harsh ranking but I don't understand how they can design a car with 380hp that feels so slow!)

I only ranked the V8s since I'm a V8 lover.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 07-22-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:04 AM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Yeah that would be a joke. Not the F10 550i, but the Lexus GS460 even being in the same league as the other cars. It wouldn't even come close to the A6.

Keep dreaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATMAN75 View Post
Yeah I read that review and I think its a joke. The 5er should have topped that review. I don't own one but I have driven all 3 of those cars and I think the Audi ranking is a joke!

1) BMW 550i
2) Jag XF 5.0
3) Infiniti M56S
4) Lexus GS460
5) Audi A6 4.2
6) Mercedes E550 (harsh ranking but I don't understand how they can design a car with 380hp that feels so slow!)

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 07-23-2010, 07:19 AM
The Driver

Quote:

I think it may have been Michelin that won it for Audi!

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 07-23-2010, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
Quote:
I think it may have been Michelin that won it for Audi!
I doubt a Michelin tired BMW would have dramatically better sterring feel to a Goodyear shod one.

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454
Old 07-23-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:

1) BMW 550i
2) Jag XF 5.0
3) Infiniti M56S
4) Lexus GS460
5) Audi A6 4.2

Have you driven all these cars before you give them a ranking? Can you show us your test numbers?

car and Driver comparison tests are considered the industry standard.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Have you driven all these cars before you give them a ranking? Can you show us your test numbers?

Plus they run their tests on the same roads, back to back, on the same days. In many respsects, their testing is more thorough than the usual test drive by purchasers.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
Yeah that would be a joke. Not the F10 550i, but the Lexus GS460 even being in the same league as the other cars. It wouldn't even come close to the A6.

Keep dreaming.
I haven't driven the GS against the Audi, but I would put its handling ahead of the Mecr E350. I found the E's handling so poor it was hard to believe it was a brand new design.

Quote:

Car and Driver's testing could hardly be considered anyone's standard. They include way too much subjectivity in their scoring system. I'm as happy as the next bimmer dude when a BMW wins, but I don't consider their scoring system to be any kind of industry standard.

I drove the 535 at one of BMW's UDEs (with none of the gizmos) and I found the steering feel just fine. Just what I expect from a bimmer. Maybe that was because I was concentrating on driving as fast as I could around their course and not driving in everyday conditions down a city street or on the freeway.

I drove the 535, Lexus GS460 and the Merc E350 and that's the order I'd rank them in. I drove the bimmer 12 times and the Lexus and Merc 6 times each.

One thing that kept coming to mind as I drove was a Car and Driver compraro between the E46 3er and the G35 - they described the silky smoothness of the bimmer's inline six with its more narrowly bored cylinders and longer stroke and the coarseness of the G35's V6 with its large bore cylinders and short stroke. They said they felt like they could feel every explosion within the cylinders in the G35. That's exactly the way it felt to me in the Merc. btw - I've driven the G35 and I agree with C & D's assessment.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 07-23-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:25 PM
The Driver

I agree with you. I think Lexus is building the cars that Mercedes should be building. Luxury oriented sedans which are still engaging to drive. Mercedes handling and throttle response has just become too soft. And their engines are not as smooth as the BMW ones as you point out.

I personally don't rate Audi as luxury sports sedans either. They don't have rear wheel drive. I have been a big advocate of rear wheel drive ever since my first bimmer. AWD cars may be more planted and better in winter but they're not as much fun.

Regarding my rankings earlier - yes I have driven all those cars. I test drive extensively since I'm a genuine enthusiast. I don't use the same road like C&D. However there is also one key flaw in C&Ds tests which is that they don't use the same tires on each of the cars. On my last 3 cars the first thing I did when I took delivery is to ditch the OEM tires and buy Michelin PS2s. It makes a big difference, and I'm sure that the spread in handling characteristics in the C&D tests is accentuated by tire selections. Most buyers are fine with that because they stick with stock tires, but I don't.

What I love about the F10 550i is that it actually pulls of best comfort cruiser, and best on-the-limit sports sedan at the same time with the wide range of suspension settings. It was truly impressive.

2014 ///M5 Individual

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 07-23-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I haven't driven the GS against the Audi, but I would put its handling ahead of the Mecr E350. I found the E's handling so poor it was hard to believe it was a brand new design.
If you found the E's handling poor (which I agree), then you would find the GS a disaster. Power delivery is horrendous (especially for a V8) and the steering feedback is non-existent. I have no idea what the front wheels are doing in the Lexus.

Quote:
I agree with you. I think Lexus is building the cars that Mercedes should be building. Luxury oriented sedans which are still engaging to drive. Mercedes handling and throttle response has just become too soft. And their engines are not as smooth as the BMW ones as you point out.
You can't be serious. Did you just call Lexus "engaging to drive"? The only Lexus that I would call engaging is the IS-F.

Quote:
I personally don't rate Audi as luxury sports sedans either. They don't have rear wheel drive. I have been a big advocate of rear wheel drive ever since my first bimmer. AWD cars may be more planted and better in winter but they're not as much fun.
Oh boy... Have you even test driven the A6 (or the S6)? While RWD, it is an infinitely better handler than the GS. Better yet, take the last generation RS4 against the current generation IS-F. There is no contest there either. Lexus builds fine cars, but driver engagement isn't exactly its forte.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 07-24-2010, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: '06 330i-(SOLD) '00 323Ci
Just an F.Y.I. guys, here is a link to the correct article @ Car & Driver (which they finally put up) :

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Old 07-24-2010, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: Infiniti M
Did anyone notice that the BMW got only 5 points for "features and amenities" while the Infiniti and Audi got 10. Without that deduction, the BMW would have come in second. The only reference in the article to a features and amenities problem with the BMW is a comment about having to pay extra for the navigation on such an expensive car. Don't know about the Audi, but I do know that the nav is not standard on the Infiniti M either. It's part of an optional package, just like on the BMW. The 5 pont deduction just makes no sense. I think Car and Driver intentionally make the ratings controversial to sell more magazines.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stebro View Post
I think Car and Driver intentionally make the ratings controversial to sell more magazines.
Can you cite any other examples of this? I agree they stretch their headlines, but I doubt they would jiggle their results for short term gain. For example, I can't recall the last time a Ferrari lost a comparo - that would sell more magazines. Plus BMW is a big advertiser - why upset them?

And just because they only mention 1 item related to features and amenities doesn't mean that was the only item that was considered for the rating. If the article conveyed all the info, the ratings would be redundant.

Last edited by chrischeung; 07-25-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:24 AM

BMW loses in both Chassis and Experience category, that alone is usually, especially since this is a new model.

Who knows, maybe Audi A6 will come out softer and more comfortable too, because the baby boomer are getting older.

Tell me another American auto journal that has more credibility in car testing than Car and Driver.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i
***Deleted*** Inaccurate post!

Retired: 2010 535|| White, Natural Brown interior, Sports, SAT, iPOD, Rear airbags

Retired - 2008 528 - Premium, iPod, Cold Weather, Titanium with black interior

Last edited by wesleyan92; 07-29-2010 at 04:17 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Master Chief

Mein Auto: 09 BMW M3 e90
Just did the BMW Driving Event yesterday and drove the F10 550i (among others).... and I definitely agree that the steering feels vague/numb. I think it was worse than my wife's new x5...and definitely a lot worse than my e90 M3.

Actually, none of the cars they had available were awe-inspiring either (we drove the active-hybrid x6, 740, 550i, z4 335is...we tried test driving the GT but was told there was a limit of 2 cars )