Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-30-2010, 11:39 AM
luxun54 luxun54 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 238
Mein Auto: 11-335i e93;14 Hybrid 3
New e93 in Ruby Black: first impressions

I picked up my 2011 Ruby Black 335i via ED in Munich last week, and have posted a few photos in this thread in the ED forum: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=465087

Since we had a lively discussion in this forum about the color a couple of weeks back, I will include one here as well for those who are not ED lurkers:
[NOTE: It is REALLY hard to photograph this color well, as you will see if you look at the other photos I have posted in the ED link above. It changes in every lighting condition and from every angle. It looks great in person.]

After 500+ miles, I have a couple of observations about the N55 that I can share:
  • The N55 performs beautifully -- smooth, quick and powerful; the initial "kick" is very noticeable compared to a 325i/328i N52.
  • on the Autobahn, even following break-in restrictions, it is just a dream. Acceleration when passing and merging is really impressive.
  • Gas mileage is good; as the engine breaks in, it is consistently exceeding 27 mpg hwy.
The sport package wheels (Style 342) look better in person than in photos. The "blades" (or whatever they call them) on the redesigned front don't stick out as much as they seem to in some photos.

Stereo system performance: since the e93 still has the 10-speaker Hi-Fi system (not the downgraded system that other e9x's unfortunately get), the system is very good, and music is impressively clear in the cabin even with the top down.

The new side mirrors significantly improve visibility because of their size and shape, but have to be adjusted slightly differently than any other mirrors I have used.

The glove compartment is even smaller than before (at least compared to 2006).

I was pleasantly surprised to find mesh storage nets on the seatbacks -- I had not realized it, but I guess BMW restored them in 2011 after all of the complaints?

Even after a test-fit at the dealer with the luggage, the two 22" rollaboards are VERY tight in the e93 side-by-side when packed. You can't overfill them.

My favorite unexpected "little thing" so far: there is a new on-board computer setting (at least new since 2006) that displays after mph and mpg, that is what you might call a "variable mpg" setting where it displays constantly changing mpg at that moment in real time. Our 2006 has a dial under the speedometer, but the digital display is very interesting in that it really helps you to understand exactly what effect every thing you do while driving has on gas mileage.

Last edited by luxun54; 07-01-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Nordic_Kat's Avatar
Nordic_Kat Nordic_Kat is offline
Omnes rationi moderatum
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,371
Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
It is beautiful!!!!
I looked in on the ED post - looks like your having a great time.

Were you able to get the armrest?
__________________
If your sport doesn't put blood, dirt or grease under your fingernails,
then it's just a game.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-30-2010, 01:17 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,312
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Congratulations! You've created a Brown E93......very distinctive.

BJ
__________________

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-30-2010, 01:19 PM
thekurgan's Avatar
thekurgan thekurgan is offline
Bad Lieutenant
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,002
Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
That is a great color, it's unique enough like Barbera Red was (R.I.P. one of the best colors in the lineup)
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BPMSport 91 oct tune/BPMSport feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel/BMWCCA #453468/Rear Fog Switch
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Bulldog71 Bulldog71 is offline
Registered User
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 79
Mein Auto: 328i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxun54 View Post
I picked up my 2011 Ruby Black 335i via ED in Munich last week, and have posted a few photos in this thread in the ED forum: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=465087

Since we had a lively discussion in this forum about the color a couple of weeks back, I will include one here as well for those who are not ED lurkers:
[NOTE: It is REALLY hard to photograph this color well, as you will see if you look at the other photos I have posted in the ED link above. It changes in every lighting condition and from every angle. It looks great in person.]

After 500+ miles, I have a couple of observations about the N55 that I can share:
  • The N55 performs beautifully -- smooth, quick and powerful; the initial "kick" is very noticeable compared to a 325i/328i N52.
  • on the Autobahn, even following break-in restrictions, it is just a dream. Acceleration when passing and merging is really impressive.
  • Gas mileage is good; as the engine breaks in, it is consistently exceeding 27 mpg hwy.
The sport package wheels (Style 342) look better in person than in photos. The "blades" (or whatever they call them) on the redesigned front don't stick out as much as they seem to in some photos.

Stereo system performance: since the e93 still has the 10-speaker Hi-Fi system (not the downgraded system that other e9x's unfortunately get), the system is very good, and music is impressively clear in the cabin even with the top down.

The new side mirrors significantly improve visibility because of their size and shape, but have to be adjusted slightly differently than any other mirrors I have used.

The glove compartment is even smaller than before (at least compared to 2006).

I was pleasantly surprised to find mesh storage nets on the seatbacks -- I had not realized it, but I guess BMW restored them in 2011 after all of the complaints?

Even after a test-fit at the dealer with the luggage, the two 22" rollaboards are VERY tight in the e93 side-by-side when packed. You can't overfill them.

My favorite unexpected "little thing" so far: there is a new on-board computer setting (at least new sice 2006) that displays after mph and mpg, that is what you might call a "variable mpg" setting where it displays constantly changing mpg at that moment in real time. Our 2006 has a dial under the speedometer, but the digital display is very interesting in that it really helps you to understand exactly what effect every thing you do while driving has on gas mileage.
The mesh storage nets are on my '09-E93, Love your color, the light defraction and color shifts are like my Tasmin Green car. Your right about the 10 speaker sound system; DROP YOUR TOP, TURN UP SOME ZZTOP AND OPEN IT UP ON THE HIGHWAY.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-30-2010, 02:11 PM
luxun54 luxun54 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 238
Mein Auto: 11-335i e93;14 Hybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Congratulations! You've created a Brown E93......very distinctive.

BJ
Blame the photo, the real color is NOT brown.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-30-2010, 02:58 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,312
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxun54 View Post
Blame the photo, the real color is NOT brown.
You're saying the real color is not brown yet you posted a closeup of a brown color swatch. Look, it's a great looking car. I think brown is hot. It's very 1976 Buick Centurion. My dad had one before he got the 1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. Both were brown. Like yours.

BJ
__________________

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-30-2010, 03:00 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,312
Mein Auto: BMW M428i


The Tootsie Roll would be Ruby Black if it were in someone's mouth, but the Chocolate Tootsie Pop is spot-on. Your car is a beauty. Congrats.

BJ
__________________

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 06-30-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-30-2010, 03:26 PM
luxun54 luxun54 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 238
Mein Auto: 11-335i e93;14 Hybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
The Tootsie Roll would be Ruby Black if it were in someone's mouth, but the Chocolate Tootsie Pop is spot-on. Your car is a beauty. Congrats.

BJ
If we're talking Tootsie Pops, more of a cross between grape and cherry... sort of, uh, ruby black!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I think brown is hot. It's very 1976 Buick Centurion. My dad had one before he got the 1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. Both were brown.
BJ
LOL, my dad had a 1972 brown Plymouth Fury with a Brown Paisley vinyl top... I know, I know, you're going to tell me it runs in the family!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Bill-SD's Avatar
Bill-SD Bill-SD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,557
Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
Great looking car! I'd like to see the color in person. Sounds like you're having a great trip too...enjoy the rest of your time over there.
__________________
E92 335i - Monaco Blue/Saddle
F30 328i - Alpine While/Black|SportLine
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-30-2010, 05:08 PM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,438
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I like the color. I am anxious to see one in person.

Nothing wrong with a brown car.
This is Steve McQueen's 63 Ferrari 250 Berlinetta Lusso.




CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 06-30-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-30-2010, 07:23 PM
westwest888's Avatar
westwest888 westwest888 is offline
Banned
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,180
Mein Auto: 2010 Audi S4
That is a GREAT looking color. I had no idea. Makes my phantom black pearl metallic look...well...1/5 the price. The trim you picked overall is awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-01-2010, 08:28 AM
kashrahman's Avatar
kashrahman kashrahman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Indiana
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,074
Mein Auto: 05 G35X; 09 335 vert
wow!!! looks awesome!! i assume this was an individual color? color changing sounds cool!
__________________

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-01-2010, 08:47 AM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,438
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
It is almost an eggplant color. Maserati has (or had) a similar color. There used to be a Quatroporte that color in the Park Ave. showroom in NYC. It is not an easy color to catch in a photo but it is stunning.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-01-2010, 10:54 AM
luxun54 luxun54 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 238
Mein Auto: 11-335i e93;14 Hybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashrahman View Post
wow!!! looks awesome!! i assume this was an individual color? color changing sounds cool!
Yes, the individual color really does seem to change... here are a couple of more examples (top and bottom), to compare with the one I posted earlier (middle).

inside at the Welt, looks pretty much black


outside the Welt in bright sunshine, shows the ruby


today in Brugge, later afternoon, partly sunny, somewhere in between
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-01-2010, 11:00 AM
BMWFTW91 BMWFTW91 is offline
GONE
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,030
Mein Auto: .................
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxun54 View Post
Yes, the individual color really does seem to change... here are a couple of more examples (top and bottom), to compare with the one I posted earlier (middle).

inside at the Welt, looks pretty much black


outside the Welt in bright sunshine, shows the ruby


today in Brugge, later afternoon, partly sunny, somewhere in between
Looks great and somewhat unique.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Nordic_Kat's Avatar
Nordic_Kat Nordic_Kat is offline
Omnes rationi moderatum
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,371
Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxun54 View Post

today in Brugge, later afternoon, partly sunny, somewhere in between
Sun? In Brugge????? Wow, you are living right!
__________________
If your sport doesn't put blood, dirt or grease under your fingernails,
then it's just a game.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-01-2010, 11:49 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,312
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxun54 View Post
Yes, the individual color really does seem to change... here are a couple of more examples (top and bottom), to compare with the one I posted earlier (middle).






Same thing happens with my shoes. See the difference?

BJ
__________________

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Funkee Funkee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Manhattan
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 211
Mein Auto: 2014 335 GT M spot
Congratulations. Really nice color. I like the color looks different under different lightings.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-01-2010, 04:09 PM
noho335 noho335 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 372
Mein Auto: 2011 MINI S
This is dangerously close to the Sparkling Graphite looking purple accusations. I have it. It mostly doesn't. But I see what they mean. (Don't care.) This does look brown. But a good kind of brown. ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-01-2010, 05:12 PM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,438
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by noho335 View Post
This is dangerously close to the Sparkling Graphite looking purple accusations. I have it. It mostly doesn't. But I see what they mean. (Don't care.) This does look brown. But a good kind of brown. ;-)
Looks brown to me too (not that there's anything wrong with that) and that is one of the nicest E93s I have seen.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-01-2010, 05:17 PM
ShopVac's Avatar
ShopVac ShopVac is offline
I just don't get it?
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 413
Mein Auto: 335xi, Mini, Renegade
My last car was listed as Black Cherry Mica...which I'm sure this is similar. As my car sat in the showroom waiting delivery, I fretted all weekend on weather it was the right choice or not.



Personally, I was never happy with it and always admired the whites and reds. Hopefully you enjoy yours more...
__________________
Joey

If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone.

Proud owner of 3 turbos and 1 supercharger

Last edited by ShopVac; 07-01-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-02-2010, 11:07 AM
luxun54 luxun54 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 238
Mein Auto: 11-335i e93;14 Hybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Sun? In Brugge????? Wow, you are living right!
Yes, and another beautiful day in Brugge today, bright blue sky. Just now (dinnertime) clouding over and starting to rain a bit. At least the car may get cleaned off a bit? We've been VERY lucky with the weather so far, both in Germany and Belgium, We'll see about weather in Holland tomorrow... back in the car!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-02-2010, 12:19 PM
BMW_GAL BMW_GAL is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,276
Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
That's a great color
__________________
Sig by Solidjake

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-02-2010, 10:28 PM
pksbmw pksbmw is offline
PKsBMW
Location: TX
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: BMW 330i 6MT
Very nice color - on a sunny day i think this will be quite the head-turner. Very distinctive.

PS: Take it easy while you're strolling around the cafes there in Brugge - don't overdo it [i'm just jealous - lovely place to be]
__________________
2006 330i : Black, 6MT, Sports Pkg, Black Dakota, Aluminum, Xenon
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms