Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11-335i e93;14 Hybrid 3
New e93 in Ruby Black: first impressions

I picked up my 2011 Ruby Black 335i via ED in Munich last week, and have posted a few photos in this thread in the ED forum: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=465087

Since we had a lively discussion in this forum about the color a couple of weeks back, I will include one here as well for those who are not ED lurkers:
[NOTE: It is REALLY hard to photograph this color well, as you will see if you look at the other photos I have posted in the ED link above. It changes in every lighting condition and from every angle. It looks great in person.]

After 500+ miles, I have a couple of observations about the N55 that I can share:
  • The N55 performs beautifully -- smooth, quick and powerful; the initial "kick" is very noticeable compared to a 325i/328i N52.
  • on the Autobahn, even following break-in restrictions, it is just a dream. Acceleration when passing and merging is really impressive.
  • Gas mileage is good; as the engine breaks in, it is consistently exceeding 27 mpg hwy.
The sport package wheels (Style 342) look better in person than in photos. The "blades" (or whatever they call them) on the redesigned front don't stick out as much as they seem to in some photos.

Stereo system performance: since the e93 still has the 10-speaker Hi-Fi system (not the downgraded system that other e9x's unfortunately get), the system is very good, and music is impressively clear in the cabin even with the top down.

The new side mirrors significantly improve visibility because of their size and shape, but have to be adjusted slightly differently than any other mirrors I have used.

The glove compartment is even smaller than before (at least compared to 2006).

I was pleasantly surprised to find mesh storage nets on the seatbacks -- I had not realized it, but I guess BMW restored them in 2011 after all of the complaints?

Even after a test-fit at the dealer with the luggage, the two 22" rollaboards are VERY tight in the e93 side-by-side when packed. You can't overfill them.

My favorite unexpected "little thing" so far: there is a new on-board computer setting (at least new since 2006) that displays after mph and mpg, that is what you might call a "variable mpg" setting where it displays constantly changing mpg at that moment in real time. Our 2006 has a dial under the speedometer, but the digital display is very interesting in that it really helps you to understand exactly what effect every thing you do while driving has on gas mileage.

Last edited by luxun54; 07-01-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
It is beautiful!!!!
I looked in on the ED post - looks like your having a great time.

Were you able to get the armrest?

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 06-30-2010, 01:17 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Congratulations! You've created a Brown E93......very distinctive.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 06-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
That is a great color, it's unique enough like Barbera Red was (R.I.P. one of the best colors in the lineup)

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BPMSport 91 oct tune/BPMSport feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel/BMWCCA #453468/Rear Fog Switch
Old 06-30-2010, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 328i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxun54 View Post
I picked up my 2011 Ruby Black 335i via ED in Munich last week, and have posted a few photos in this thread in the ED forum: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=465087

Since we had a lively discussion in this forum about the color a couple of weeks back, I will include one here as well for those who are not ED lurkers:
[NOTE: It is REALLY hard to photograph this color well, as you will see if you look at the other photos I have posted in the ED link above. It changes in every lighting condition and from every angle. It looks great in person.]

After 500+ miles, I have a couple of observations about the N55 that I can share:
  • The N55 performs beautifully -- smooth, quick and powerful; the initial "kick" is very noticeable compared to a 325i/328i N52.
  • on the Autobahn, even following break-in restrictions, it is just a dream. Acceleration when passing and merging is really impressive.
  • Gas mileage is good; as the engine breaks in, it is consistently exceeding 27 mpg hwy.
The sport package wheels (Style 342) look better in person than in photos. The "blades" (or whatever they call them) on the redesigned front don't stick out as much as they seem to in some photos.

Stereo system performance: since the e93 still has the 10-speaker Hi-Fi system (not the downgraded system that other e9x's unfortunately get), the system is very good, and music is impressively clear in the cabin even with the top down.

The new side mirrors significantly improve visibility because of their size and shape, but have to be adjusted slightly differently than any other mirrors I have used.

The glove compartment is even smaller than before (at least compared to 2006).

I was pleasantly surprised to find mesh storage nets on the seatbacks -- I had not realized it, but I guess BMW restored them in 2011 after all of the complaints?

Even after a test-fit at the dealer with the luggage, the two 22" rollaboards are VERY tight in the e93 side-by-side when packed. You can't overfill them.

My favorite unexpected "little thing" so far: there is a new on-board computer setting (at least new sice 2006) that displays after mph and mpg, that is what you might call a "variable mpg" setting where it displays constantly changing mpg at that moment in real time. Our 2006 has a dial under the speedometer, but the digital display is very interesting in that it really helps you to understand exactly what effect every thing you do while driving has on gas mileage.
The mesh storage nets are on my '09-E93, Love your color, the light defraction and color shifts are like my Tasmin Green car. Your right about the 10 speaker sound system; DROP YOUR TOP, TURN UP SOME ZZTOP AND OPEN IT UP ON THE HIGHWAY.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Congratulations! You've created a Brown E93......very distinctive.

BJ
Blame the photo, the real color is NOT brown.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Blame the photo, the real color is NOT brown.
You're saying the real color is not brown yet you posted a closeup of a brown color swatch. Look, it's a great looking car. I think brown is hot. It's very 1976 Buick Centurion. My dad had one before he got the 1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. Both were brown. Like yours.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 06-30-2010, 03:00 PM

The Tootsie Roll would be Ruby Black if it were in someone's mouth, but the Chocolate Tootsie Pop is spot-on. Your car is a beauty. Congrats.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 06-30-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
The Tootsie Roll would be Ruby Black if it were in someone's mouth, but the Chocolate Tootsie Pop is spot-on. Your car is a beauty. Congrats.

BJ
If we're talking Tootsie Pops, more of a cross between grape and cherry... sort of, uh, ruby black!

Quote:
I think brown is hot. It's very 1976 Buick Centurion. My dad had one before he got the 1978 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. Both were brown.
BJ
LOL, my dad had a 1972 brown Plymouth Fury with a Brown Paisley vinyl top... I know, I know, you're going to tell me it runs in the family!
Old 06-30-2010, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
Great looking car! I'd like to see the color in person. Sounds like you're having a great trip too...enjoy the rest of your time over there.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I like the color. I am anxious to see one in person.

Nothing wrong with a brown car.
This is Steve McQueen's 63 Ferrari 250 Berlinetta Lusso.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 06-30-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi S4
That is a GREAT looking color. I had no idea. Makes my phantom black pearl metallic look...well...1/5 the price. The trim you picked overall is awesome.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 05 G35X; 09 335 vert
wow!!! looks awesome!! i assume this was an individual color? color changing sounds cool!

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter
Old 07-01-2010, 08:47 AM

It is almost an eggplant color. Maserati has (or had) a similar color. There used to be a Quatroporte that color in the Park Ave. showroom in NYC. It is not an easy color to catch in a photo but it is stunning.

CA

BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 07-01-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashrahman View Post
wow!!! looks awesome!! i assume this was an individual color? color changing sounds cool!
Yes, the individual color really does seem to change... here are a couple of more examples (top and bottom), to compare with the one I posted earlier (middle).

inside at the Welt, looks pretty much black

outside the Welt in bright sunshine, shows the ruby

today in Brugge, later afternoon, partly sunny, somewhere in between
Old 07-01-2010, 11:00 AM
GONE

Mein Auto: .................
Quote:
Yes, the individual color really does seem to change... here are a couple of more examples (top and bottom), to compare with the one I posted earlier (middle).

inside at the Welt, looks pretty much black

outside the Welt in bright sunshine, shows the ruby

Looks great and somewhat unique.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:

Sun? In Brugge????? Wow, you are living right!

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 07-01-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Same thing happens with my shoes. See the difference?

BJ

Old 07-01-2010, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335 GT M spot
Congratulations. Really nice color. I like the color looks different under different lightings.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 MINI S
This is dangerously close to the Sparkling Graphite looking purple accusations. I have it. It mostly doesn't. But I see what they mean. (Don't care.) This does look brown. But a good kind of brown. ;-)
Old 07-01-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noho335 View Post
This is dangerously close to the Sparkling Graphite looking purple accusations. I have it. It mostly doesn't. But I see what they mean. (Don't care.) This does look brown. But a good kind of brown. ;-)
Looks brown to me too (not that there's anything wrong with that) and that is one of the nicest E93s I have seen.

CA

BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 07-01-2010, 05:17 PM
I just don't get it?

Mein Auto: 335xi, Mini, Renegade
My last car was listed as Black Cherry Mica...which I'm sure this is similar. As my car sat in the showroom waiting delivery, I fretted all weekend on weather it was the right choice or not.

Personally, I was never happy with it and always admired the whites and reds. Hopefully you enjoy yours more...

If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone.

Proud owner of 3 turbos and 1 supercharger

Last edited by ShopVac; 07-01-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Sun? In Brugge????? Wow, you are living right!
Yes, and another beautiful day in Brugge today, bright blue sky. Just now (dinnertime) clouding over and starting to rain a bit. At least the car may get cleaned off a bit? We've been VERY lucky with the weather so far, both in Germany and Belgium, We'll see about weather in Holland tomorrow... back in the car!
Old 07-02-2010, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
That's a great color

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 07-02-2010, 10:28 PM
PKsBMW

Mein Auto: BMW 330i 6MT
Very nice color - on a sunny day i think this will be quite the head-turner. Very distinctive.

PS: Take it easy while you're strolling around the cafes there in Brugge - don't overdo it [i'm just jealous - lovely place to be]