Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 06-30-2010, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
Question E34 1995 M50 check engine light

Hello Everyone,

Newbie, I have a 1995, 525i white BMW that grew on me. A while ago the check engine light turned on, took it to my local mechanic he could not get the stomp test to work, but told me you can stick a black tape on the light and forget it, engine is working fine. I took it to another dedicated more expensive German car mechanics, his diagnostics pointed to the MAF sensor, it would cost around a grand to get it replaced, first time to here about the MAF sensor but did my research thanks to the forum. I ordered an new OEM MAF sensor from ebay, changed it myself light turned off for a couple of hours then the check engine light turned on again. I took it back to the original mechanic he replaced the OEM with the original Bosch one and told me the OEM won't work with the system and the car is fine and ignore the red light, he also mentioned that the stomp test pointed to the Oxygen Sensor which I replaced twice in 2 years time. I did most of the tests that I found on this forum and others, including vacuum test where I sprayed a carb. started fluid all around the vacuum lines and diidn't notice any extra engine acceleration, I also did the internal cylinder combustion cleaning procedure. I know it is not the oxygen sensor because the check engine light turns on as soon as the engine starts (read it somewhere here before). Currently the car runs really rough with the MAF sensor harness connected, if I disconnect the MAF sensor's electric harness the car runs better but the engine RPM fluctuates sometimes stall at low RPM.
Any idea what I can do to find the problem. Appreciate all the help.

Thanks in advance

Luka-b
Ads by Google
Old 06-30-2010, 09:04 PM
iL Viktor

Mein Auto: 1999 Mazda B2500
I would suggest.... Unplug the battery for a while so the light will go away, drive it wait for the light to come on and see if it comes back on, do the stomp test yourself, see if you get a new code and research it here to see what you come up with. I hate seeing people ripped off by mechanics who will keep charging their full rate for one problem after the next. Especially ones that say 'just put tape over it'