Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-01-2010, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
Black Panel Display?

According to the brochure, the F10 has "Black panel display," which, according to this, shows only the "chrome rings of the circular instruments" when the ignition is off. Yet, when I test drove the F10 and look at photos, the instrument panel isn't all blacked out. Can anyone elaborate on this?
Ads by Google
Old 07-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
It's supposed to be like this (an animation)

Old 07-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I think only the A/C display is the black panel display. When the AC is off you don't see the temp reading or fan speed, etc. When you turn it on, they appear. In the instrument cluster, there is a small black panel at the bottom middle where the mileage, fuel efficiency, efficient dynamics is displayed, but it's only that small portion - not the entire instrument cluster.

Last edited by TX535i; 07-01-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX535i View Post
I think only the A/C display is the black panel display. When the AC is off you don't see the temp reading or fan speed, etc. When you turn it on, they appear. In the instrument cluster, there is a small black panel at the bottom middle where the mileage, fuel efficiency, efficient dynamics is displayed, but it's only that small portion - not the entire instrument cluster.
According to this: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ogId=519929954 ,

"Instrument panel in Black Panel technology.
Like so many aspects of the new 5 Series sedan, its instrument cluster combines BMW tradition with advanced, beautiful new executions. Here the entire cluster is in a high-resolution Black Panel display, in which four classic circular instruments are most prominent; other driving-relevant displays and readouts including Navigation if present, vehicle-monitoring functions, upcoming service requirements and other information also appear here in their various (and function-related) graphic forms. Climate-control settings and controls are located in a second Black Panel display in the center console stack."

Last edited by DJOzma_FTW; 07-01-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Font Newby
Old 07-02-2010, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: e93 335
Hi Everyone. I noticed that the information display for mileage/feul efficienty,ect on the 7 series and 5 series GT extend all the way below the speedometer to the other side under the tachometer. On the F10, it looks like the dispaly only starts off center and extends to the tachometer. There is no information display underneath the speedometer. Is this on all models of the F10 5 series?
Old 07-02-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT78 View Post
Hi Everyone. I noticed that the information display for mileage/feul efficienty,ect on the 7 series and 5 series GT extend all the way below the speedometer to the other side under the tachometer. On the F10, it looks like the dispaly only starts off center and extends to the tachometer. There is no information display underneath the speedometer. Is this on all models of the F10 5 series?

Later F10s may have these but since it's early into the production run, maybe that's the reason they're not out yet. I remember the first E60 LCI models in '08 having yellow LED indicators in the back. But later, it was red.