Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
What are the ingredients of the BMW high-intensity intensive action washer fluid?

Other than buying two 500ml bottles of BMW "high intensity" intensive-action washer fluid (PN 83 12 0 410 745) at the stealer to fill the 1 liter reservoir, what other just-as-good fluids do you use to fill your "intensive washer" fluid reservoir?

Same question (only asked differently) is:
Q: What are the ingredients of the BMW high-intensity intensive action washer fluid?

I suppose it's a nearly 50:50 mixture of an alcohol that doesn't dissolve paint and a surfactant that won't come out of solution to clog jets but the question would be which alcohol and which detergent at which concentration?

I suppose the requirements are:
- Not freeze (although for me in California, that's not of great concern)
- Contain bug-dissolving detergent (almost any surfactant, I would think, should suffice)
- Contain alcohol (almost any alcohol would work, I would think, as long as it's safe for the paint & lowers freezing point & won't ignite)
- Not destroy paint (see above)
- Not clog the filter screen (at the bottom of the pump) and sprayers (on the hood and on the bumper for the headlights)
- Not burst into flame from the 2-second heaters (I would think this is an extremely minor risk but I state it just in case)
- ??? any other requirement ???

REFERENCES:
- What is in the BMW intensive washer fluid
- Poured windshield washer fluid in the wrong hole
- Put antifreeze in the intensive washer fluid reservoir
- What is intensive action washer fluid
- Intensive fluid washer DIY
- Intensive washer fluid

USE MODEL:
- Pull the washer/wiper stalk toward you to run the regular washer cycle.
- Push the end of the stalk in towards the steering column to activate the intensive washer cycle.
Note: There is a large arrow with an "S" in it on top of the stalk pointing to the steering column to indicate the proper direction.

Last edited by bluebee; 07-02-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Sandlapper Chapter

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 xDrive35i
I put regular washer fluid in mine, and watch it run right out of the tank. I don't think it's held fluid since 2003. But I'm not bothered, my regular tank is fine.
2002 X5 3.0i/man./SP/PP/Sirius/BT/Titansilber/Sandbeige*
2006 330i/man./SP/PP/CWP/Sirius/Blackline/Rear Fogs/Arktis/Grau*
2001 525i/step./SP/PP/CP/CWP/Xenons/Rear Shade/OEM Sirius/OEM BT/OEM AUX/M5 Rear Sway/Bilstein HDs/Beisan Vanos/Rear Fogs/Schiefergrün/Sandbeige*
2012 VW Golf R/Rising Blue*
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Premium/Tech
*retired
Old 07-02-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydrz View Post
I put regular washer fluid in mine, and watch it run right out of the tank.
My tank leaked also but I had it replaced under warranty. Looks like a bad pump bracket design according to this DIY, but easy enough to fix the leak.

Like you said, I expect most to say they either use the BMW intensive cleaner (concentrated alcoholic detergent?) but some will use regular blue stuff (dilute alcoholic detergent) ... yet ... the hope is that a genius out there (not me) will have already come up with an ingenious solution we hadn't thought about ...

I'm sure there is a good drug-store or auto-parts-store 1:1 replacement for the intensive cleaner ... so I'll see what people come up with.

All it has to do is:
- Not freeze (I think -17°F is the advertised freezing point)
- Contain bug-dissolving detergent (I suppose almost any surfactant will work ... but others may know better than I)
- Contain alcohol (I suppose that's the same as not freezing ... but others might know WHICH alcohol doesn't destroy paints)
- Not destroy paint (see above)
- Not clog the filter screen (at the bottom of the pump) and sprayers (on the hood and on the bumper for the headlights)
- ??? any other requirement ???

Seems to me, a 50% mix of any cheap clear alcohol + any good soluble detergent - would suffice ... but I'm too chicken to try it myself until I get more datapoints from the users!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	164.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	236759   Click image for larger version

Name:	163.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	236760   Click image for larger version

Name:	162.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	236761  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IntensiveFluid_Cleaner_leak_diy.pdf (320.1 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by bluebee; 07-02-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
The BMW washer fluid is a concentrate...so depending on if you're filling the regular reservoir or the intensive reservoir...you dilute with more water when filling the regular system.

Without seeing the "ingredients" of the BMW washer fluid concentrate...I would assume that it probably contains a small amount of ammonia. And if this is true...then one could probably make their own "brew" by starting scratch...or by adding a small amount of ammonia to a ready made solution. I would also only purchase a ready made solution that is appropriate for the climate one lives. If you live in an area where winter temps can get way below zero degrees...then make sure you buy a pre-made solution that can handle those temps...since you may not use it all up during the warmer months of the year.

If I remember correctly...I think my grandmothers window cleaning "brew" was made with 1 oz of ammonia for every quart of water. But don't take this as an endorsement...these comments are just speculation...I would definitely recommend finding out what the ingredients are for the BMW washer fluid concentrate first.

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 07-03-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:59 PM

For the record, this was asked today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > is there a tool for adjusting wiper jets?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeGraff89 View Post
how do I tell if I have "intensive cleaning" or not?
See also:
- Glovebox printout: BMW E39 fluid summary printout for your glovebox (1)
- Motor oil: BMW approved motor oils (pdf) & tribal motor oil recommendations (1) (2) (3) & gravity oil change DIY (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & vacuum extraction DIY (1) (2) (3) & drill pump DIY (1)
- Gasoline: Engine fuel & octane (1) & "The Gasoline FAQ" & top-tier gas stations (1) & Techron additives (1) & how to clean your gas gauge sending unit (1) & mpg calculations (1) how large is the fuel tank and reserve in the E39 (1) & what gasoline to use (1) & how much gas should be left to cool the fuel pump (1) & how to siphon the fuel out of the tank (1) & what is the cost differential between 87 & 91 octane AKI (1)
- MTF: Manual transmission fluid (1) (2) & manual transmission fluid-change DIYs (1) (2) (3)
- ATF: Automatic transmission fluid (1) (2) (3) (4) & automatic transmission fluid & filter DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & torque values (1) & how to find the hidden E39 transmission fluid level dipstick (1) & why ATF gushes out of the fill hole (1) & ZF 5HP19 facts (1)
- PSF: Power steering fluid (1) (2) & power steering fluid flush DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) & volumes (1)
- Coolant: Coolant, for engine, automatic transmission, power steering, and AC evaporator cooling (1) & bleeding (1) (2) (3) or refilling DIYs (1)
- Brake & clutch fluid: Brake & clutch hydraulic fluid (1) & recommended E39 brake job "fluids" (1) & how brake bleeding DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
- A/C: Air conditioner refrigerant & PAG oil (1) & how to refill your A/C system (1) (2) (3) (4) & what to use to rid yourself of the BMW gym sock stink (1)
- Differential: Rear differential hypoid gear oil (1) & differential fluid change DIYs (1) (2) (3)
- Battery: What battery (1) & what battery maintenance (1) & battery electrolyte (1) & battery replacement DIY (1) (2) (3) & how NOT to change the battery (1) (2) (3)
- Windshield fluid: Windshield washer fluid (1)
- Intensive cleaner: Intensive cleaning system fluid (1)
- Windows: Window glass cleaner fluids & cloths for the inside window & windshield glass (1)
- Tire air: Recommended tire pressures (1) (2) (3) & the claimed benefits of nitrogen gas (1) (2)
- Wheels: Best product for cleaning wheels (1)
- Interior: Interior cockpit & dashboard cleaners (1)
- Carpets: Suggested carpet cleaners (1)
- Floormats: Suggested floor mat cleaning & shampooing (1)
- Headliner: Solvent for cleaning the headliner fabric (1)
- Vapor barriers: Sealant for door panel vapor barriers (1) & sizes for the adhesive (1)
- Engine cleaner: External engine degreaser, engine bay cleaning & engine compartment detailing (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8)
- BMW list of lubricants, sealants, & thread lockers (pdf) (shrunk gif) (original-size jpg)
- Fundamental BMW decision-making religious camps (1) & motor oil Petrolism (1), coolant decisions (1), & gasoline dogma (1)
Old 06-25-2014, 09:26 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
i put gas in my then flicked a butt at it.. just to see the flames lol

Idk what it is.. but mine also gets regular washer fluid..

maybe some bug cleaner.. IDk..

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

15486372<-----