Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 07-05-2010, 12:11 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Diesel fuel nozzle sizes?

I got my car on Wednesday, and I took a trip to NY this weekend. This means I got to fill-up for the first and second time. So far, I have encountered three different diameters of fuel nozzles. Only one fit without the adapter. I got to use my adapter on my very first fill-up. All the pumps were labeled ULSD. What gives? Are there no standards, or am I just unlucky?

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2010, 05:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 335d,08 K12GT,10 S1000
I have so far only refueled once at an exxon in my small town and the nozzle fit.
08 WR250R
Old 07-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Road Warrior

Mein Auto: (2)335d, RS60 Spyder
You'll encounter the larger size nozzles at pumps for trucks. I have been lucky I guess and I have never used the adapter. When it don't fit, I just move on down the road to the next station. Just look for newer stations that sell diesel and stay away from Bio. I whipped into a station last week that displayed the diesel price on their road sign. When I got to the pump it was biodiesel.
I asked the store manager about it and he said" same thing" so I moved on down the road.

www.thelonghighway.com A Blog Dedicated to the 335d
Old 07-05-2010, 12:49 PM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Yes, there are three sizes, they are all standard, for the vehicle type they are supposed to serve.

The large diesel is for trucks.

The small one that doesn't fit, i.e. won't push past those safety tabs, is supposed to be used on gasoline pumps. That is a mistake at the pump.

Then there is the correct size that fits just right.

Often times you may find both the large truck nozzle and the correct size nozzle on the same pump, on opposite sides. If you are really at a truck stop, don't know

Don't put in the off road diesel as it is illegal and might mess up your emission controls.

Cheers!
Old 07-05-2010, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 11 335d,08 K12GT,10 S1000
First I dont use off road diesel in my on road vehs, but I do have a 300 gallon off road tank on my ranch and AFAIK the only difference (any longer)in the off road and on road is the dye and the fact that there is no road tax on the off road (about .20 per gallon). In fact after hurricane Rita I got a letter from the state of Texas telling me that thru the end of that year I could run off road diesel in my on road vehs due to diesel shortages.
08 WR250R

Last edited by KarlB; 07-05-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, WRX, 325is, Eurovan
Congrats on the arrival of your car--looks awesome. I've filled up at various stations around Baltimore (usually Shell or Texaco) and have not had any nozzle size problems. Although I haven't needed to use any truck stop type of stations yet.

Where in MD are you?

Graham
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I got my car on Wednesday, and I took a trip to NY this weekend. This means I got to fill-up for the first and second time. So far, I have encountered three different diameters of fuel nozzles. Only one fit without the adapter. I got to use my adapter on my very first fill-up. All the pumps were labeled ULSD. What gives? Are there no standards, or am I just unlucky?
Old 07-05-2010, 07:46 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
I checked out a Shell a couple miles down the road, and it fit like a charm. It's a shame the BP that's less than a mile away from my house has the truck and gasoline sized nozzles.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 07-06-2010, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5d / 2013 135is
Very curious about this as well. Is the larger "truck" size nozzle able to just barely fit into the fuel receptor? I was under the impression that the truck size nozzle was much larger, also noticerd the opening on the adapter was very large relative to the size of the nozzle I was using.

I went to a station I had not used before and found the nozzle to just barely fit into the hole. I slowly nused a few gallons in without spilling but decided to move on to a station that I knew had a nozzle that fit properly.

can anyone shed some light on my experience?
Old 07-06-2010, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: F30 335i
On my way form Chicago to Syracuse I stopped at the BP station just of 90 outside of Erie, they have small diesel nozzle which does not work with 335d - so I just decided to keep on going....
I'm in Montreal right now; I had a chance to fill up with V-power Diesel from Shell at Drummondville, very nice, nozzle fits perfectly, station had disposable gloves, clean.....and my d even sound quieter at idle.....
T

2013 335i F30

B45, LCSW, ZMM, ZDH, ZPP, ZTP, 337, 2TV, 428, 494, 688, 6AA, 6AB, 6VA
2010 335d E90 - Gone
300, LCAD, ZPP, ZSP, 2XA, 302, 465, 494, 4B9, 609, 655, 677, 6FL, 6NF
Flickr
Old 07-06-2010, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear View Post
Very curious about this as well. Is the larger "truck" size nozzle able to just barely fit into the fuel receptor? I was under the impression that the truck size nozzle was much larger, also noticerd the opening on the adapter was very large relative to the size of the nozzle I was using.

I went to a station I had not used before and found the nozzle to just barely fit into the hole. I slowly nused a few gallons in without spilling but decided to move on to a station that I knew had a nozzle that fit properly.

can anyone shed some light on my experience?
Bear, the one that "barely fits" is the one you want! Yes, there is a very tight clearance on these nozzles-- I think that's the way the car's restrictor is designed. So.. you won't be able to put in the "small" diesel nozzles (these are the ones that are the same size as gasoline nozzles) and of course, you can't use the big-rig nozzles unless you use the supplied adapter. Then the auto shut off feature won't work and you might slosh fuel over the side of your car.

Hope this explains it-- I have not yet had to use my adapter- don't even want to. Like the others have said, watch out for any "bio diesel" over 5% and don't use the red-dye off road fuel. In my short experience, the big name brand stations such as Shell and Chevron almost always have the right nozzles and the auto-shut off feature generally works.