Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Just installed JB3.Vroom!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i-Black on Black
Sport Package = No Steering and Suspension Change??

Let's put an end to it.. On several different forums, people are saying many different things. I'm not beating a dead horse, because the horse is twitching a bit.

On cars without the Dynamic Handling Package we have Normal, Sport and Sport+ mode. Can anyone confirm precisely what happens to the car (throttle response, suspension, steering) when Sport is pushed? I know that Sport+ is a lame button, because it just replaces the traction control on/off switch and gives it a more exciting name.

Some people have said that the steering is tighter, and the suspension is tigher.. Some say that the only thing it does is increases the revs between gear changes.

Also, I've been told that Active Steering is a great thing to enhance steering, and others have said they didn't like it. I wonder if DHP would help with tighter steering or if you really need both to have the full driving experience that we look for in a BMW.

Hopefully we can kill the horse after this thread.
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2010, 04:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJames View Post
Let's put an end to it.. On several different forums, people are saying many different things. I'm not beating a dead horse, because the horse is twitching a bit.

On cars without the Dynamic Handling Package we have Normal, Sport and Sport+ mode. Can anyone confirm precisely what happens to the car (throttle response, suspension, steering) when Sport is pushed? I know that Sport+ is a lame button, because it just replaces the traction control on/off switch and gives it a more exciting name.

Some people have said that the steering is tighter, and the suspension is tigher.. Some say that the only thing it does is increases the revs between gear changes.

Also, I've been told that Active Steering is a great thing to enhance steering, and others have said they didn't like it. I wonder if DHP would help with tighter steering or if you really need both to have the full driving experience that we look for in a BMW.

Hopefully we can kill the horse after this thread.
This is the direct copy and paste from the new US 5 series brochure posted below. You can download the brochure from the link posted below. It has all the information you want.

Adaptive Drive.
Included in the Dynamic Handling
Package, Adaptive Drive combines
performance-elevating Active
Roll Stabilization (ARS) and ride enhancing
Dynamic Damping
Control (DDC). The vehicle's body
tends to roll in corners, affecting
handling. ARS twists special two piece
anti-roll bars to generate
stronger resistance to body roll,
keeping the vehicle more level and
providing maximum stability and
agility. DDC, on the other hand,
instantly adjusts shock absorbers
from the softest to the firmest
settings. The result is exceptional
ride comfort and fluid handling
at all times during changes in
vehicle speed, load or road and
driving conditions.

Driving Dynamics Control.
By pressing a button, you can
adjust the all-new 5 Series Sedan's
driving characteristics. Choose from
four settings: COMFORT, NORMAL,
SPORT and SPORT+, to adjust
shock-absorber firmness, engine throttle
response, transmission
shift characteristics and powersteering
assist. In addition, the
traction control feature can be
disengaged when driving on sand,
gravel, or deep or packed snow.

Integral Active Steering.
With Integral Active Steering, at
speeds up to 30 mph, a small
turn of the steering wheel yields
a greater turn of the front wheels
for more direct response. It also
steers the rear wheels up to 2.5
degrees in the opposite direction,
giving the effect of a shortened
wheelbase for enhanced maneuverability.
When changing lanes at
speeds over 50 mph, both front
and rear wheels turn in the same
direction, giving the feel of an
extended wheelbase. While you
experience greater responsiveness
and directional stability, your passengers
enjoy greater ride comfort
from reduced body roll.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405980

Page 18.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.

Last edited by richschneid; 07-08-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:20 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
In Sport+ the settings can also be customized using the i-Drive. You really need to drive the car with DHP to experience it yourself. The general consensus here seems to be that people like it a lot.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired

Last edited by pharding; 07-08-2010 at 04:22 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
In Sport+ the settings can also be customized using the i-Drive. You really need to drive the car with DHP to experience it yourself. The general consensus here seems to be that people like it a lot.
Can you program the Sport Plus setting to leave the Dynamic Stability Control in the On position?
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Where's the link Richschneid? Am I missing it? Thanks...
Old 07-08-2010, 10:19 AM

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405980

Page 18.

Last edited by richschneid; 07-08-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Cv
to really answer Jeffrey James question: how much "adjustment" to the power steering assist does the DDC that comes with DHP actually allow you to do? I presume it doesn't tighten the steering to 3-series levels?
Old 07-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Just installed JB3.Vroom!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i-Black on Black
Thank you.. Well, I'm not looking for 3-Series steering, but it would be nice if it there was a highly noticeable difference.. The trouble is, is the IAS required to really cement that tight feeling, and not just the DHP??
Old 07-08-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJames View Post
Thank you.. Well, I'm not looking for 3-Series steering, but it would be nice if it there was a highly noticeable difference.. The trouble is, is the IAS required to really cement that tight feeling, and not just the DHP??
I have active steering on my 650i. I also have a sport button. When I push the sport button, which I almost always do when I start the engine, the steering tightens VERY noticably. The steering feel is excellent. And that is with only two settings. The ZDH gives you at least THREE different settings for the steering effort. The intergral active steering gives you four wheel steering which shortens the turning radius and compensates for the increase in the 5 series wheelbase to 116.9" from less than 112". This makes the car much more maneuverable in city driving. At high speeds the four wheel active steering makes the car much more maneuverable in lane change and accident avoidence situations. I wish I could get IAS on my 550i xDrive, but its not available in association with AWD.

I drive a 3 series quite often. The steering on my car in sport mode is much better than the standard steering in the three series. Also, in non sport mode, the steering is light and useful in low speed tight situations such as parking lots and tight city traffic. I also much prefer the active steering system on my 650i to the steering I had on my E39 540i sport package and on my E39 M5. The steering on the 550i I drove last week is even more advanced than the steering on my 650i. I think it's hard to really get a feel for what the new BMW steering has to offer without a really extensive test drive under multiple conditions.

In addition, in my car the active steering gives you automatic crosswind compensation which is very noticable at 70mph when passing a large 18 wheel semi truck. The force of air suction from the truck without active steering requires turning the steering wheel to the left to keep from being drawn to the right by the suction and closer to the truck. The Active Steering on my car compensates automatically and you don't even notice the pull to the right. The same effect is highly noticable when there is a sudden high velocity cross wind, such as when entering a bridge.

Finally, the steering ratio with my active steering at highway speeds is 18.5:1 which gives a much better "on center" feel. And at low speeds is around 11:1 which makes low speed maneuvering much easier. The variable ratio steering and variable effort steering with speed is standard with the new BMW electric steering system and doesn't require having IAS.

I hope this answers some of your questions in addition to what I posted from the new 5 series brochure above about the ZDH. I personally think it is an extraordinary feat of automative engineering, and I have only owned and driven BMWs since 1992.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:34 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Cv
This is very helpful to know the ZDH really tightens the steering. One wonders what setting (assuming the car even had ZDH) the Car and Driver comparo folks used when claiming the 5's steering was numb and hence worthy of last place in the comparison.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:45 AM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Forget about all the academic non-sense and test drive both. Some folks really like the "new" steering feel, and not surprisingly, some don't (yours truly included). No amount of reading will tell you whether you will like it or not.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 07-09-2010, 04:33 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by richschneid View Post
Can you program the Sport Plus setting to leave the Dynamic Stability Control in the On position?
Yes.

Also +1 for the test drive. It is always interesting to hear what others think. However the most important opinion is yours.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired

Last edited by pharding; 07-09-2010 at 04:36 AM.