Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Where are you getting misinformed? It's been pretty clear on all the threads I've read what the options are, and what they do. Same goes for BMWUSA website.
Oh, I've definitely seen misinformation on these boards and I've also gotten conflicting information from dealers. For instance, I've driven a 535i Sport w/ Sport Auto and no ZDH that still had the toggle settings for Comfort, Normal, Sport, and Sp+, even though it's been said that's not possible. I've received BMW literature (a F10 launch brochure sent to my house) that says the Dynamic Handling Package offers "adjustable" settings, inferring that's how you get the aforementioned toggle, while other people/forums have said there is nothing "adjustable" about ZDH. The Sales Manager at my dealership even called BMW directly to inquire and was given two different stories by two different people. One told him that you have to order ZDH to get the toggle (which I know is not true) and one told him something else entirely.

At the end of the day, when I placed my order, I decided to err on the side of overkill and ordered all three... the Sport Package, Sport Automatic, and ZDH. I just don't want to regret my decision six months in, similar to the way I regret my 750i with IAS.

2014 BMW X6 ///M | SpaceGray/BlackPerforatedFullMerino/CarbonLeather
2014 BMW 328xi Touring M-Sport | GlacierSilver/BlackDakota/DarkBurlWalnut
2014 BMW X6 35i M-Perf | TitaniumSilver/BlackNappa/DarkBamboo [wife's ride]

BMW HISTORY | '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Old 07-07-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJames View Post
Update on the deal.. I can get the deal done, but after number crunching, it's going to cost me an extra $5,000 now, since I had some negative equity rolled in to the last loan. Not the end of the world, but wondering if it's worth it. I would have to get the car built.
Obviously, it's a personal decision. For me, as someone else said, these cars are more than just a means to get from Point A to B. If I'm not happy, it's worth some cost to change the situation. "Some" is obviously a relative term.

I've been displeased with my '09 750i, which I attribute mainly to the Integral Active Steering. When I ordered the car, there just wasn't a lot of opportunity in my area for side-by-side comparison driving between differently equipped cars, so I went with my gut... and my gut was wrong. I had an opportunity to get out of the 7 and into a 5 and I'm doing it. No regrets.

BMW HISTORY | '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Old 07-08-2010, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 535i (to be)
Probably a stupid question but I'm not a mechanic... Can ZDH be put in by dealer after car is built? Is it a technoligical problem or would it just be exponentially more expensive than the $2700 it costs to order up front?
Old 07-08-2010, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
1. I can't imagine how trading a car will "only" cost the OP $5,000, unless the dealer is eating a *massive* chunk of change. Are there any lightly-used F10's for sale? Would lacking a sport suspension/active handling (ZDH) result in diminished value?
>> As an aside (if I were the dealer), even if someone bought 10 cars from me, I wouldn't take back a car without paying a lot less for it. That's the nature of the auto business.

2. To 1stTime -- I would put a sport suspension in before I'd try to retrofit with some electronic/mechanical wizardry. Yes, it would cost a lot more. Not sure it's even possible with all the computers and systems (ABS and the 10,000 other things).
Old 07-08-2010, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by XZLR8 View Post
Oh, I've definitely seen misinformation on these boards and I've also gotten conflicting information from dealers. For instance, I've driven a 535i Sport w/ Sport Auto and no ZDH that still had the toggle settings for Comfort, Normal, Sport, and Sp+, even though it's been said that's not possible. I've received BMW literature (a F10 launch brochure sent to my house) that says the Dynamic Handling Package offers "adjustable" settings, inferring that's how you get the aforementioned toggle, while other people/forums have said there is nothing "adjustable" about ZDH. The Sales Manager at my dealership even called BMW directly to inquire and was given two different stories by two different people. One told him that you have to order ZDH to get the toggle (which I know is not true) and one told him something else entirely.

At the end of the day, when I placed my order, I decided to err on the side of overkill and ordered all three... the Sport Package, Sport Automatic, and ZDH. I just don't want to regret my decision six months in, similar to the way I regret my 750i with IAS.
What I have got out of these boards on these subjects (I haven't driven any of the cars yet) is: (a) the Sport automatic includes the console-mounted toggle button, just like the ZDH-equipped cars, but it has a more limited function that may include steering and throttle inputs in addition to transmission behavior; (b) I don't know how you would infer something about the sport-auto toggle button from BMW's description of the ZDH package, which is suspension, not transmission, and (c) I haven't heard anyone suggest that nothing in ZDH is adjustable - that's the very purpose of ZDH, as I understand it, to adjust the suspension settings. ZSP, of course, is another matter entirely. It used to include suspension changes (except on xDrive cars), and it still does on E90 models, but no longer does for the 5 series. It's understandable that there would be some confusion about a brand-new car with major changes in the options available. But I've found the forums to be a resource for clarification much more than for confusion.

Last edited by raleedy; 07-08-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
What I have got out of these boards on these subjects (I haven't driven any of the cars yet) is: (a) the Sport automatic includes the console-mounted toggle button, just like the ZDH-equipped cars, but it has a more limited function that may include steering and throttle inputs in addition to transmission behavior; (b) I don't know how you would infer something about the sport-auto toggle button from BMW's description of the ZDH package, which is suspension, not transmission, and (c) I haven't heard anyone suggest that nothing in ZDH is adjustable - that's the very purpose of ZDH, as I understand it, to adjust the suspension settings. ZSP, of course, is another matter entirely. It used to include suspension changes (except on xDrive cars), and it still does on E90 models, but no longer does for the 5 series. It's understandable that there would be some confusion about a brand-new car with major changes in the options available. But I've found the forums to be a resource for clarification much more than for confusion.
This is the direct copy and paste from the new US 5 series brochure posted below. You can download the brochure from the link posted below. It has all the information you want.

Adaptive Drive.
Included in the Dynamic Handling
Package, Adaptive Drive combines
performance-elevating Active
Roll Stabilization (ARS) and ride enhancing
Dynamic Damping
Control (DDC). The vehicle's body
tends to roll in corners, affecting
handling. ARS twists special two piece
anti-roll bars to generate
stronger resistance to body roll,
keeping the vehicle more level and
providing maximum stability and
agility. DDC, on the other hand,
instantly adjusts shock absorbers
from the softest to the firmest
settings. The result is exceptional
ride comfort and fluid handling
at all times during changes in
vehicle speed, load or road and
driving conditions.

Driving Dynamics Control.
By pressing a button, you can
adjust the all-new 5 Series Sedan's
driving characteristics. Choose from
four settings: COMFORT, NORMAL,
SPORT and SPORT+, to adjust
shock-absorber firmness, engine throttle
response, transmission
shift characteristics and powersteering
assist. In addition, the
traction control feature can be
disengaged when driving on sand,
gravel, or deep or packed snow.

Integral Active Steering.
With Integral Active Steering, at
speeds up to 30 mph, a small
turn of the steering wheel yields
a greater turn of the front wheels
for more direct response. It also
steers the rear wheels up to 2.5
degrees in the opposite direction,
giving the effect of a shortened
wheelbase for enhanced maneuverability.
When changing lanes at
speeds over 50 mph, both front
and rear wheels turn in the same
direction, giving the feel of an
extended wheelbase. While you
experience greater responsiveness
and directional stability, your passengers
enjoy greater ride comfort
from reduced body roll.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405980

Page 18.

550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.

Last edited by richschneid; 07-08-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i & 2011 X5-3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by XZLR8 View Post

Good move. Sport pkg is mainly cosmetic while Sport Auto and ZDH actually do something - dramatically improve feel and fun.
2011 550i, Black Saphire, Black Nappa leather, Anthracite headliner, Convenience Pkg, Premium Pkg #2, Sport Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Sport Auto, Delivery on 6/24/10

2011 X5 xDrive 35i Sport Activity, Black Sapphire, Black Nappa, Convenience Pkg. M Sport Pkg, Technology Pkg. Comfort Access, Satellite Radio, Premium hi-fi system, Delivery on 5/26/10

Previous BMWs
2006 550i
2001 330cic
2003 745Li
2000 M5
2000 540i
Old 07-08-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I'm glad that's been your experience. I'm not dogging the boards -- I would have required medication without boards such as these after I took delivery of one of the first '02 E65s in my area -- but instead, I was simply stating that I've seen conflicting information and a lot of guesswork. That's been true on the boards and when talking to BMW employees. That made me nervous when I was ordering, thus my decision to be safe rather than sorry.