Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
I picked up my X5 Tuesday and today I linked it to my garage door. These were my steps:

Press and hold the two outside buttons until there was a rapid flash.

Hold garage door remote at base of rearview mirror and press button on remote and desired button on mirror. Hold both until rapid flash

Stood on my running board to press the "learn" button on the back of garage door unit (it will flash).

Sat back in the driver's seat-pushed the programed button on the mirror and wala, it opened.

Thank you very much.
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday

Last edited by georgejm; 06-22-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: x5
Unfortunately, I can't get rapid flashing in the first step, regardless of where I hold the remote and whether I press the remote continuously or in intervals. Same as OP's issue.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by calif11 View Post
Unfortunately, I can't get rapid flashing in the first step, regardless of where I hold the remote and whether I press the remote continuously or in intervals. Same as OP's issue.
Try it with the engine running.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
First step or second step?
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Old 06-24-2012, 02:55 PM

Engine was running, first step - get rapid flashing - does not happen.

This has something to do with the particular garage door system in our building. I could link a friend's remote device (different garage system) to my car.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
Engine was running, first step - get rapid flashing - does not happen.

This has something to do with the particular garage door system in our building. I could link a friend's remote device (different garage system) to my car.
If you're unable to reset the Homelink's memory in the very first step, I'm not sure how that points to an issue with your remote device.

Regardless, if you're able to program a button with your friend's remote, then try again with your remote but this time try touching the remote to the mirror during the learning step. That worked for me after many attempts with just holding the remote close.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:46 PM

Thanks for replying. I can clear memory (buttons 1, 3 together), that's fine. I can't get learning, I guess it's step 2, sorry for confusion. I've already tried touching the mirror, also different angles, distances, etc. Nothing works. It must be either incompatibility of the garage system with homelink, or the remote's battery is weak (although it works fine opening garage door).