Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-09-2010, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 318 CI
Smoke at idle for 2001 BMW 318 CI

Hi all,

A question about my bimmer. I own a 2001 BMW 318 CI, 83k miles on it. its the 1995 cc 4 cylinder engine. I bought it a few months back at 78k miles and I am loving it, no problems with it.

Anyway yesterday I changed out the spark plugs and put in the OEM NKG sparks. Also opened up the oil filter to check its condition. Previous owner told me he had done an oil service on it before i bought it and by the condition of the filter that seems correct. So after doing all of that I packed everything up, putting the engine cover on, holder for microfilter etc. which I had removed to change the spark plugs.

Now I ran the engine from cold to check if everything I did worked. It started without any problem. Since it was a cold start the engine obviously started at a higher rev (around 1100 rpm) and after a minute it dropped to around 700rpm as the engine warmed up. So far so good.

However just at the EXACT time when the revs at idle go from high to low, white smoke started coming out from the area I point at in the attached video at 1.50 minutes. However I have the camera trained at the point throughout the video.

Is there anything I could have done (sparks, oil filter, moving pipes around to gain access to sparks) which has caused this smoke? Its not a lot and I can not quite figure out what the smell is, not rubber anyway.

I drove the car after and it runs fine, in fact pick up has improved thanks to the new sparks. I checked the engine after and no smoke. The smoke only comes when I start the car from cold and when the revs drop as it warms up, usually within 1 minute. Please help!

Ads by Google
Old 07-13-2010, 12:10 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E46 316i '01
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipzip View Post
Hi all,

A question about my bimmer. I own a 2001 BMW 318 CI, 83k miles on it. its the 1995 cc 4 cylinder engine. I bought it a few months back at 78k miles and I am loving it, no problems with it.

Anyway yesterday I changed out the spark plugs and put in the OEM NKG sparks. Also opened up the oil filter to check its condition. Previous owner told me he had done an oil service on it before i bought it and by the condition of the filter that seems correct. So after doing all of that I packed everything up, putting the engine cover on, holder for microfilter etc. which I had removed to change the spark plugs.

Now I ran the engine from cold to check if everything I did worked. It started without any problem. Since it was a cold start the engine obviously started at a higher rev (around 1100 rpm) and after a minute it dropped to around 700rpm as the engine warmed up. So far so good.

However just at the EXACT time when the revs at idle go from high to low, white smoke started coming out from the area I point at in the attached video at 1.50 minutes. However I have the camera trained at the point throughout the video.

Is there anything I could have done (sparks, oil filter, moving pipes around to gain access to sparks) which has caused this smoke? Its not a lot and I can not quite figure out what the smell is, not rubber anyway.

I drove the car after and it runs fine, in fact pick up has improved thanks to the new sparks. I checked the engine after and no smoke. The smoke only comes when I start the car from cold and when the revs drop as it warms up, usually within 1 minute. Please help!

From what I've read (forum posts), white smoke, may be a blown head gasket, I have never ecountered the problem myself, so I would not be of much help, but you sould look into that, maybe search for "Blown Head Gasket"
Old 07-13-2010, 07:34 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
A leaking head gasket would cause white smoke **from the exhaust**, not like this instance. Sorry, OP, can`t tell from the video where it`s coming from....does it go away as the temp comes up? Gets worse ? Or ?

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 07-13-2010, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci sport
you probably spilled something on the headers and its burning off. no worries.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 318 CI
hi lads,

thanks for the responses. there is no obvious white smoke from the exhaust, but i will look into the head gasket info and try and find out if its the same.

*fast bob - the smoke ONLY appears if the car is started from cold for e.g. being left overnight. then it is there once idle rev reaches 700rpm. however if i drive it and check it again, there is no smoke.

*jack1181 - i assumed i spilt something however the smoke is still there, you would think it will have burned off, UNLESS there is a constant source supplying it. I did a bit more looking around and i think there is a small oil leak from the engine block.

my theory is that the oil is dripping onto the front end of the exhaust pipe and burning off. since it happens only at idle i am assuming only the exhaust would be hot enough at this point to burn off the oil. however the smoke dissapears once the car has been driven, so that is a mystery.

as for the location of the smoke, it is coming from the back end of the engine block. the same block which houses the spark plugs, but from the back. or in other words the side facing you when you sit in the drivers seat. i touched the back of it and found some fresh-ish oil, which re affirms my oil leak theory.

however i have periodically checked the oil levels via the dipstick, and there is no visible oil level fluctuations. so i am assuming its a small leak.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 318 Touring
Hey Zipzip

I'm assuming that you have since been to the garage re the white smoke issue given the age of your post? I have the same car, same issue and have it booked in for the tomorrow at a reputable garage so will let you know how I get on. In the meantime if you can shed any light on it I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by macca2222 View Post
Hey Zipzip

I'm assuming that you have since been to the garage re the white smoke issue given the age of your post? I have the same car, same issue and have it booked in for the tomorrow at a reputable garage so will let you know how I get on. In the meantime if you can shed any light on it I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
You`re responding to a thread that`s been inactive for 16 months, and the OP is long gone....please check the dates before posting.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....