Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-10-2010, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: F10
F10 550i Valentine One Install ?

Hi all - just recently transitioned from an older BMW to a new F10 550i. I have a Valentine One radar detector that I had installed in the old car, wired to the switched power for the sunroof above the overhead lights, and positioned just to the left of the rear view mirror. It worked very reliably in that area.

With the 550, I'm trying to figure out:
a) Where is the best place to put the V1 on the windshield? I've read some posts that indicate there is a coating on a majority of the windshield that limits radar transmission effectiveness.
b) Can I still pull switched power from the sunroof electrical without computer system issues? Is this the best/easiest way to power the unit? If so, how do I get pop out the headliner/overhead light control panel to get to the wiring (without damaging anything, of course)?
Has anyone else installed a V1 or other radar detector in their new F10 and solved these issues?

Appreciate any help or feedback, and pictures are always useful - thanks!
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2010, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
I just picked up a Cobra detector to use with my new 550 (too much risk of going fast without realizing it!). I used it for the first time today mounted with the supplied Velcro right on the dash. I can't say anything about hooking up power since I used the lighter outlet between the cup holders. After only one drive with it I will say that there was no problem with it picking up the random X band junk or the K band signals from the automated "Your Speed" signs. SO, without doing any formal sensitivity testing, it does not appear that the windshield is blocking any radar. Also, the Cobra has a GPS unit and it works fine receiving the sigs through the windshield and letting me know about red light cameras, etc.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Any answer here? I'm in the process of doing the same thing, and I'm thinking of popping the cover off the moon roof console to grab power. But how? Anyone?
Old 07-30-2010, 02:56 PM

I purchased a mini fuse tap from Autozone (similar to this one). I plugged it into the #57 fuse location (have to double-check this number, was a 5A that didn't seem to be linked to anything based on the call-out in the trunk) with an added 2A mini-fuse in the glovebox that is switched power linked to ignition on/off.

I couldn't see any screws that were grounded, so I wedged the ground lead into a joint in a metal box to the right of the fuses that is grounded, and taped down the wire with electrical tape. This step was ridiculously difficult - there is no space to see/work behind the access panel to the fusebox in the glovebox.

I ran the cord out the back of the glovebox, up around the headliner (where it joins the windshield), and across to the left side of the rear-view mirror to the detector. At some point, will take a photo or two.

Last edited by f10_owner; 07-30-2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Clarified explanation, corrected fuse #
Old 07-30-2010, 04:15 PM

Can you check which fuse location you used? I'll try 5, but would rather use one that is known working.

As far as ground, remove the side panel on the dash (between the dash and the door). Once open there's plenty of place to work. If I cannot find a screw I'll just drill a hole in the metal bracket next to the glove box.

Jeff
Old 07-30-2010, 05:33 PM

How does one remove that side panel? Would make things much easier.

Will check on the fuse location this weekend - thanks.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:59 PM

The side panel just pulls off.

And yes, let me know which fuse is switched with the accessory. The Germans are crazy, first the place for the fuses is insane as it takes tiny hands, and next I find most things are not necessarily switched from the accessory. ie - the radio always seems to have power. it turns off when you turn off the car, but you can turn it back on without the accessory on. so that fuse doesn't work. what else? i've tried 1/2 dozen.

Last edited by blulite; 07-30-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:05 PM

With a fair amount of force? Would appreciate a photo halfway removed or similar - mine didn't want to budge.

I used the #57 fuse - it has nothing associated with it, but it turns on with the ignition.

Last edited by f10_owner; 07-30-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 535 2006
Where is fuse box? in glovebox on right side of dash?
Old 08-05-2010, 05:46 PM

Yes. There is a removable door in the glovebox. Behind it is the fuse panel. There is another fuse panel on the right side of the trunk, attached to it is a folded up document which lists the fuses and their functions.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:15 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 535 2006
How do you get to fuse #57? Can't even see it. How does that dash panel come off? Been tugging at it and it won"t budge.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Over 20 years owning BMWs

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by blulite View Post
Can you check which fuse location you used? I'll try 5, but would rather use one that is known working.

As far as ground, remove the side panel on the dash (between the dash and the door). Once open there's plenty of place to work. If I cannot find a screw I'll just drill a hole in the metal bracket next to the glove box.

Jeff
I just did this install today. Thanks to the tip about Auto Zone selling the mini-fuse add-a-circuit connector and the one about just screwing the ground to the metal bracket visible once you open the right cover between the dashboard and the door.

Now, just one thing: Fuse 57 DOES NOT WORK, is not even wired at all. I tested almost every fuse (like 2 hours) until I found FUSE 48. Easy to reach and is switched by the main on/off start button.

Enjoy your install!
Old 08-15-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
Now, just one thing: Fuse 57 DOES NOT WORK, is not even wired at all. I tested almost every fuse (like 2 hours) until I found FUSE 48. Easy to reach and is switched by the main on/off start button.
Please don't spread misinformation. If you have a 550i, then Fuse 57 works.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Over 20 years owning BMWs

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by f10_owner View Post
Please don't spread misinformation. If you have a 550i, then Fuse 57 works.
I stand corrected: If you have a 535 with Sorts Package, Premium, Premium 2, Sports Automatic Transmission, Ventilated Seats, folding rear seats, dark graphite metallic paint and oyster black interior with anthracite headliner and anthracite wood, THEN fuse 57 is not wired and does not work. If you have a similar vehicle, then use fuse 48.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535ix Titanium/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
I stand corrected: If you have a 535 with Sorts Package, Premium, Premium 2, Sports Automatic Transmission, Ventilated Seats, folding rear seats, dark graphite metallic paint and oyster black interior with anthracite headliner and anthracite wood, THEN fuse 57 is not wired and does not work. If you have a similar vehicle, then use fuse 48.

Sorry for the confusion.
Can you post pics of the installation and where did you place the silence button/switch? Thanks
Old 09-21-2012, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: F11 520d M Sport; Saab 93
Sorry to drag up an old thread...

Did this install on a late 2011 520d M Sport Touring F11 using fuse 48 (if I have read the diagram correctly) but I tested the fuse tap as suggested by powering on the ignition with fuse 48 (5A) removed. Radar detector worked but iDrive screen blank. Replaced 5A fuse into fuse tap slot A and all OK, except that I now get an error on iDrive: passenger restraint system error. You should use the seatbelt and get the vehicle checked...

I can't seem to clear it! I realise (now) that I probably shouldn't have powered on the car with a missing fuse in slot A of the fuse tap, but I wanted to check that I had wired it correctly.

I removed the fuse tap but error still present.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
I installed my V1 with the super easy tip (that I found via Google somewhere) using the power port that is under the dash by the passenger foot well. Took me all of 10 minutes.

On my E60, I cut into the sunroof wires and had no problems, but I always hate to mess with the car's electricity, especially since BMW is so quick to void warranties.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 09-21-2012, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: '13 550 XI and '11 335cv
Ditto. I did same plugging into the outlet in the fr passenger footwell. Ran the cord in the seam between the dash and windshield so it is fairly clean looking.

Now i need to reset my v1 to pick up k band again . Previous benz had distronic which constantly emitted k band radar. (i am presuming that the blind spot warning system in the F10 does not set off radar detectors but would love confirmation)
Old 09-21-2012, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by f10_owner View Post
Hi all - just recently transitioned from an older BMW to a new F10 550i. I have a Valentine One radar detector that I had installed in the old car, wired to the switched power for the sunroof above the overhead lights, and positioned just to the left of the rear view mirror. It worked very reliably in that area.

With the 550, I'm trying to figure out:
a) Where is the best place to put the V1 on the windshield? I've read some posts that indicate there is a coating on a majority of the windshield that limits radar transmission effectiveness.
b) Can I still pull switched power from the sunroof electrical without computer system issues? Is this the best/easiest way to power the unit? If so, how do I get pop out the headliner/overhead light control panel to get to the wiring (without damaging anything, of course)?
Has anyone else installed a V1 or other radar detector in their new F10 and solved these issues?

Appreciate any help or feedback, and pictures are always useful - thanks!
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...944&highlight=
Old 09-24-2012, 08:50 AM

Thanks. Yep, saw that but alas my F11 has the place for it but not wired (is it a UK thing, a 520 thing (cost cutting), or maybe a 2011 build thing?). So, went for the next easiest thing (fuse tap) so no evidence of me being there - well so I thought (apart from a nice error now on the iDrive)!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:07 PM

Ok. Trip to local dealer and error cleared (so far). They said the error only showed once and reset it an did "a full vehicle check" also. All done in less than an hour and nearly 45 later the error is gone. They said fitters sometimes remove the side panel with the passenger air bag key switch in it to help with the fitting. I replied, yes the fitter must have done that as I saw it on the floor (ehhhmmm. That was my mistake then - to remove that panel)!!
Old 12-06-2013, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Try this. Much easier.

2011 535i
2003 540i-6 M-tech SOLD
1964 MGB Roadster
1980 International Scout II 345 v-8

2004 M3 Alpine White SOLD 2/14/09 We were in love