Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-11-2010, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 x3
weak air flow

2006 x3, sounds like lots of power from fan when air conditioning is on, but air flow seems weak, especially compared to my 4 runner which will chill you in a flash.
Anyone else or just the way it is? Air is cold, just not much of it.
Thanks!!
Ads by Google
Old 07-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3 3.0i Sport
Most likely a dirty/clogged cabin air pollen/crud filter. These should really be changed every service as (depending on your environment) they can get clogged up pretty quickly.

Have a look at it - open the hood (bonnet for us in the UK ) and locate the air inlet box between the wipers - twist the three spring-loaded clips and hinge up the plastic. Under, you will see the removeable element which will probably be really dirty. Vac it off as a temporary solution (should improve airflow) and then go and buy a new one
Old 07-11-2010, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Probably not the outside air filter

This filter only control outside air entering the cabin and probably not the culprit. Try changing the settings to automatic, recirculate etc and see if this does anything.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0i
This really sounds dumb, but try playing with the airflow control dials. (dials that are marked with blank O and filled O )
Old 07-11-2010, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Also

Can you manually adjust the fan speed? Does the air come out more on one side of the vehicle vs. the other? Does it blow harder with the A/C turned off? Could just be low freon.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Where is the filter that covers the air conditioner and how do you change it? I always thought it was the one rotty mentioned .
Old 07-13-2010, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
X3 has a strong (and strange) AC system.

Did you try putting it on auto, putting the air temp down until it starts the fan blowing hard and then moving the circular dial in the center of the dash to all blue?

Is the snowflake button on and are the vents all open?

I can get cold quickly in this car. It is darn noisy but the air temp is very comfortable even when it is over 90.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x3
weak air flow

OK, found the problem, actually my great independent mechanic here in Omaha; in February, under warranty, at the BMW dealer, had the blower motor replaced because of annoying squeak. Well, come to find out the idiots put the replacement in backwards, are you kidding me!! No under I had weak air flow. Never ever go to this dealer again.
Thanks to those who tried to help with their posts.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0 , 1991 318Is
nice

Last edited by Wobbles; 07-28-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 and 2011 328i
my wife's 2007 x3 has similar issue

We try to figure it out why and seems i need bring it to the local dealer...da...

The thing is that in winter, the hot air is blowing very fine...

just summer the fan blows hard but weak air comes out of the central/face level vents...even we turn it to the max fan speed....

Old 04-10-2013, 05:51 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfufu View Post
We try to figure it out why and seems i need bring it to the local dealer...da...

The thing is that in winter, the hot air is blowing very fine...

just summer the fan blows hard but weak air comes out of the central/face level vents...even we turn it to the max fan speed....

Make sure the floor and defrost buttons are not on. With all 3 vent areas open the air flow won't be very strong out of any of them.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:09 PM

I brought the car to the dealer and they checked and came back told me that it is fine and the air condition is at 40F as measured.

The guys said it could be the refrig is lower as it only holds about 1.5gl anyway so a 5-6 years old car may be low on that. it will cost 2xxusd to let them refill it and go into the system. and this may or may not help the situation. he said x3 is designed that way the side vent is not much a help to blow air and the model with navigation system has more settings that help blow the air out a little bit more.

I ended up bought a r-134a can (20oz) with gauge in big lots for 20usd (almost went to adv auto parts for a 34usd one and only 18oz).... I think they will work the same way and i will give a try tonight.

Not very handy, I then googled that folks say the low pressure end is near the back of the passenger side under hood. I found that. But the instruction on the r-134 can says the low pressure port is the big one or with the big line.... I do not want the thing to explode on me.....health care will cost much more than 200usd.

Will see if i can figure it out and improve the coldness so my wife will be happy.

Last edited by xfufu; 04-11-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:41 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfufu View Post
I brought the car to the dealer and they checked and came back told me that it is fine and the air condition is at 40F as measured.

The guys said it could be the refrig is lower as it only holds about 1.5gl anyway so a 5-6 years old car may be low on that. it will cost 2xxusd to let them refill it and go into the system. and this may or may not help the situation. he said x3 is designed that way the side vent is not much a help to blow air and the model with navigation system has more settings that help blow the air out a little bit more.

I ended up bought a r-134a can (20oz) with gauge in big lots for 20usd (almost went to adv auto parts for a 34usd one and only 18oz).... I think they will work the same way and i will give a try tonight.

Not very handy, I then googled that folks say the low pressure end is near the back of the passenger side under hood. I found that. But the instruction on the r-134 can says the low pressure port is the big one or with the big line.... I do not want the thing to explode on me.....health care will cost much more than 200usd.

Will see if i can figure it out and improve the coldness so my wife will be happy.
Oh I see. I thought it wasn't blowing air very hard, not that it wasn't cold.

That is the correct location for the low pressure side and it's where you want to add the refrigerant.

Another thing you might want to check is that the temperature wheel above the center front vents is turned to the blue side, not the red.

Good luck with it!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:19 PM

The android app has problem. it cuts most what i posted...I am using computer to repost now...

"
It blows air. just it is very loud when its at max fan speed and somehow we feel at that level there should be much more air flow coming out the vents. My ex old saab and the new 328i blow much more air and are really cold after a while.

We took the x3 once to the beach 2 years ago and we were sweating like pig on the highway...last year i drove my new 328i to the beach and it was a bless.

Anyway, I followed the instruction on the can and connected the can to the low pressure port, it read 25 in the low end of the blue zone(its good but low). then I started to pump 134 into the system... I can hear the gas moving sound...however after it hit 35 in the blue zone, it kindly stopped and i can no longer press down the button to add more.. I pressed really hard and kept shaking the can.. it did not really work anymore.

I unplugged the tube and then shake the can and tried to recharge again and again... The gauge hovered at 33-35 in the blue zone and will not go up anymore... Yesterday it was around 80F outside(so according to the instruction, the gauge point should go up to 40-45). But the temp may went down in the evening when I did the recharge. Anyway I ended with a 33-34 reading on the gauge.(Just realized I took a bad picture of the reading, sorry). I personally felt it is colder in the cabin of the car but it could just be that psychology worked on me...

I will let my wife comment on the recharged air condition these days and see if it gets improved.... once upon a time, it was cold as I remembered so let see....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365736523915.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	370947   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365736538198.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	370948   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365736549725.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	370949   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365736764773.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	370950  

2007 X3 and 2011 328i...

Wanted list: I will get a M3, a Jaguar, and also a Range Rover, a small plane...

Last edited by xfufu; 04-12-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:06 AM

X, so did filling it up with the can work for you? Nice photos, I may try that myself since I have noticed a lack of coolness in the air over time.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
X, so did filling it up with the can work for you? Nice photos, I may try that myself since I have noticed a lack of coolness in the air over time.
It is only $20 so worth a try..before that if you can bring your car to the dealer and just make sure no major problem so you may not waste the $20.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:07 PM

OK, did the A/C recharge (looked like the same kind of stuff in the photo) and it worked like a charm! A/C now blowing cold again and it was easier than changing the air filter. I also checked my cabin air filter and found the housing filled with leaves (pine needles, actually) and I just cleaned out that area a couple of months ago. Didn't realize it was such a leaf trap. Easy to do, three spring loaded plastic screws and the shopvac and its done. If you do this thing with the A/C I strongly recommend getting the can with the built in gauge. You DO need a gauge and its easier to have it all in one. Cost was about $30 but in CA they ding you for a $10 deposit on the empty can - if returned in 90 days. I didn't use half my can so I am keeping it just in case, and for other cars. Easy fix and much cheaper than having it done IMHO. Thanks for the photos they were a big help!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: '04 X3 3.0i
Have you moved the air control dial on the dash to 3 blue dots?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:49 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
my AC sucks in my X3 since I have owned it, it blows cold, and works pretty good in humid Georgia, Cali and up in the PNW on the hot days, but it was totally inadequate for Oklahoma in the middle of the summer (the 100 days of over 100 deg-2 summers ago) Part of the problem is no rear AC vents and another is the Pano roof acting like a big magnifying glass on the sunny days.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:36 AM

fh, yes I figured out the wheel dots about 3 years ago --- took me that long! Use that wheel all the time now. In the winter its in the red and it goes to blue in the spring.
five point - my A/C has never been strong in the really hot places, like AZ and the central valley here -- but then no foreign car A/C has either. Where the A/C in my Tahoe would chill beef in the AZ summer my 7 series A/C was a joke and the X3 not much better. But then when the cars came home it was great in the temperate climate of the CA coast.