Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 06-07-2015, 09:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750iL
Please help me save my car.

I've dealt with an coolant leak on my V 12 1998 BMW for about 3 years. I've been at Perelli BMW in downtown Chicago a month ago and they were unwilling to fix my car. Told me the car was too old and not worth it... They sold me two diagnostics but didn't want to do any work.. Walked in the door told the man replace my radiator, he diagnosed the brakes leak, oil leak, and told me that the radiator had a small hole and didn't replace it only the expansion tank?!? He pushed me to repair the body and replace the brakes lines only.. Which I did not agree to because I can do that myself... Two and a half weeks later got my leaking/overheating car back.

Had it Uship to TX where I live now. I'm able to work on my car with a drive way and being able to have it sit in one place for as long that it is needed.

I want to kill these problem and any other I'm buying another to drive one while fixing the other.

Here are my direct questions.

1) Where can I buy a device to be able to access bmw fault codes (DTCs)?

2) Could the head gaskets be leaking? The leak appears in the rear and then in the front of the engine at times??? // Being told my all oil gaskets were bad, telling them to fix it, & nothing being done is upsetting. Also I've had the oil pan gasket fix 3 months before bmw look at it so seeing it on the list of problems made me call them liars about checking the gaskets.

3) The needle on my car was perfect center on the temperature gauge when I bought the car. Radiator popped one day since then I've replaced everything twice now with full BMW parts-never again aftermarket headaches. I feel the temperature gauge is truly showing a problem in the car. It's a bit on the right of the waves in the drawing of the thermostat in gauge. (I've Order coolant level, sensor temperature sensor that's on the left of the radiator //when standing in front of car//, and the small tab for the bleed screw. The only things that are missing new now on the car coolant system) I've spent $2,500+ on this problem with no true results. I want to fix it myself if possible I'm willing to do it I love this car.
Constantly being told check coolant level in hud and witness some type of leaks for this long I feel the engine with just lock one day from mistreatment.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1433734091.462987.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	513344

5) The Bentley manual leaves out the V 12 in many of its walk-throughs where can I find the V 12 information?? There a specific V 12 manual?

Please adjust parts and I'll let you know if I have replaced I feel every mechanic is overlooking details. I had to pop a tension pulley before my mechanic realize that it was bad. I was going in there twice a month and he couldn't tell or check it? Again I have the ability to fix it now living in Texas.

P.S. Any BMW E38 club out here near Houston?

Soon buying a coolant pressure tester from esctuning.com.

God bless reading my rambling, I truly want to fix this!!
Feel like Top Gear UK saying all that.
(sad what happen to UK Top Gear)

Thanks in advance for your help I appreciate it greatly!
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2015, 06:16 AM

Before diving in big time, since you seem to have external evidence of water leaks, it would be better to try to establish where these are coming from. Water at the rear, may indeed be from the rear of the engine, but might also be from elsewhere, as it can travel a long way along other components, before you see it on the ground. You need to get under the car and see what's going on
Old 06-08-2015, 06:02 PM

Ok I've bought ramps for my front tires to get underneath. Tomorrow morning I will have a better look down there. Where can I buy dye for the coolant to see if it's coolant or oil leaking on the ground?

Old 06-08-2015, 06:19 PM
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!

Mein Auto: 1999 740iS, 2001 330xi
If you can't tell the difference between oil or coolant on the ground you have a blown head gasket.

BTW, now that you are in Texas you should see how close you are to TxDarth and some of his friends/mechanics. And update your prfile with your new location...

After...(this may take a few years, it's my DD and I have bigger projects)

2005 Venture Extended LT - what else you gonna drive when you have 6 kids, cargo and still want better than 10MPG
2000 Impala LS - because you need something to beat the snot out of in a Michigan winter
1999 BMW 740i - why do I have Chevy's again?
2001 BMW 330xi - father/son project time!

Last edited by u.nanimous; 06-08-2015 at 06:25 PM. Reason: New scenery...
Old 06-08-2015, 06:25 PM

The oil never says low or shows low on dip stick. It has to be coolant it looks like a water puddle and after seeing the leak check the expansion tank and red stick is on the bottom of the tank.

Edited: I will update my info on this site and look in to the man you spoke of. Thanks

Last edited by Chivo; 06-08-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:33 PM

100 places for a coolant leak, and where the puddle on the ground is does not mean that is where the leak is. I'd remove the cover from under the engine and park the car in the most level location you can (don't know how steep your driveway is) so the leak will hopefully drip straight to the ground.

Here is a thread by TxDarth so you can easily PM him (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=848084).

And here is a thread by Bluebee (E39 forum) regarding code readers (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=478610). And you can't PM her, she purposely keeps her mailbox full so if you have a question for her it has to be asked in public. As long as you have the cap on the 20pin pacman port in the engine bay the Autel she lists should work in the OBDII port in the cabin. There is also someone (Forzam) on the E46 forum that loves his EML327 which is a bluetooth device and you just download an app (Android & iOS available).

Finally...nice signature update. I like that picture more than the old one, it looked disproportionate in front of the tiny building but the new one looks like "don't F**** with me".

P.S. Did you hear BBC made an offer to Richard and James with the idea of having a revolving door for guest hosts not named Jeremy to keep the series going a few more years?

2005 Venture Extended LT - what else you gonna drive when you have 6 kids, cargo and still want better than 10MPG
2000 Impala LS - because you need something to beat the snot out of in a Michigan winter
Old 06-09-2015, 05:35 AM

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1433852838.061905.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	513526
I found these two drops after I moved the car a bit. Anything bad or is it my A/C run off.

While the car was elevated I tried bleed the radiator it spat out a few bubble then nothing but fluid.

While it sat on the ramps at first to ran the the day I bought it. Then a few moments pasted and it ran just a bit hotter.

& no I hadn't heard anything but he punched a man over food. After BBC fired him I've been waiting for one of my british friends to tell me Jeremy make a new show. Last I heard they where going to make a "better" show lol.

Last edited by Chivo; 06-09-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:45 PM

Hmm, cardboard...are those drops both coolant? How long did those drops take? If the engine is running does it drip faster? Could you tell where the drips fell off the car before you moved it?

What exactly (EVERYTHING) has been done so far in the engine bay?

Old 06-09-2015, 06:44 PM

Replaced
Radiator
Expansion tank
All hoses
Power steering pump
Water pump & thermostat
Power steering lines
Fan clutch and shard
All belts
Tension pulls on the A/C belt

I feel the electric fan in the front of the radiator is broken I never seen it move today.

Yes 40% of the time of the car warms up while standing it is perfect then tip toe to the right and stay there.

If I drive it stay perfect for 1 minute then tip toe to the right a bit and stays.

In any weather it stays a bit to the right..

While bleeding the radiator today properly many bubbles come out. Hope this helps the problem in someway.

My hud says check rear brake lines so maybe that the leak when I came outside it evaporated.

I have a video if you'd be willing to see it give me your email. I can't post it here.

PS I have 5,000 dollars for another BMW between 2000-2001 V12 750iL. Anyone selling? I found one on on the web but the seller has the car financed and I'm having trouble paying a financial company off hoping he'll sign the title over once it is payed in full... I like to give people enough rope to hang themselves with but not at the risk of my money.

Last edited by Chivo; 06-09-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:33 PM

If the parts you listed were replaced correctly the remaining possibilities include:
1. Block drain port
2. Head gaskets
3. Hoses into firewall for cabin heat
4. Alternator (water-cooled on V12?)
And probably a few more that I'm missing...

Check your PM's if you want to send me the video.

Oh, shouldn't the aux fan (in front of the radiator) turn on with the A/C?

Last edited by u.nanimous; 06-09-2015 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Your #2 fan...
Old 06-10-2015, 01:15 PM

I feel it to be the alternator the car battery died over sitting while ac was on for 3 5min times to bleed the radiator. As soon as I receive my parts I'm put them on an see if there any difference or if that aux fan turns on.

I haven't see the aux fan work the whole day while I was looking for the leak and bleed the radiator.

Aux fan-A/C on, off, before, or after a trip no movement from it.

Last edited by Chivo; 06-13-2015 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:35 PM

The video is kind of dark so it is hard to say, but it is definitely leaking too fast and from both sides of the engine. You don't have a lot of miles which makes it unlikely, but I'd check around the head gaskets. It is leaking fast enough you should have a wet track between the leak point and where it drips off to the ground. Get some painters lights and shine them in there and you should be able to find it.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:18 PM

Ok I have just the light when my parts get here I'll raise the car again and look & I'll get a half plastic drink bottle to try to collect the liquid better. The symmetry of the leak has to be two of something I'd love to replace the head gaskets but I have to have results over the next & finial major repair if not I'll have to put it up till I have good amount to throw at it and replace a list of parts.

It's hot here & even more under the engine after a necessary movement to force the leak.

PS I backed out the CA 750 and looking in to a Connecticut dealer with one.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:33 AM

I've been having trouble posting a reply on this page...

I have clarified the coolant leak there is no coolant leak anymore in any way.

Oil is holding I had the pan gasket replace last winter (too cold to do it myself.) No leak since, dipstick reads normal.

My car's alarm sounds when parked again so my next repair is the dashboard display and a brand new alternator.

I'm going to use it less often and save up even more to revamp an entire setup. My next big job are new struts and complete replace of support for each tire to get rid of rust and be able to restore the traction control. The light like many on the dash never turn on..

Last edited by Chivo; 06-16-2015 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:50 PM

Glad you got it stopped. So where was the leak?

What's up with the alarm? You got pixel problems?

So Chicago winter was too cold and now Texas summer is too hot...I think retired travelers have it right, South for the winter and North for the summer - just like the birds.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:09 PM

Alarm sounds whenever parked after 5 minutes it claims something wrong.

I was told when getting my car cleared to change title with a obd tester that the electronic system is 4/8 checked something about weak voltage he explained not getting a response & have 2 codes to deal with.

Can I just plug and play the new mass air filters?

I have subs but one year of having the car the tail lights flicker on off when they want 2 years later got sounds. Replaced light module and tail lights and they still flicker. The people that work on my car cut wires on the tail light added tabs to the tail light frame why I don't know... Cost me 800$ labor/parts and $90 for pair of tail lights & the problem still there they did nothing more then charge me. I hate spending $,$$$ with no results.

Last edited by Chivo; 06-16-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivo View Post
...Can I just plug and play the new mass air filters?...
You mean SENSORS? Where is Mayorchuck when you need him...I believe he posted a procedure (for Pj740iL a week ago?) so the computer would know you switched it and then it only runs rough for a few minutes while it re-calibrates itself.

That sucks about the alarm, and really sucks about the hacks that did your lights. I'll have my garage ready to pull a car in by the fall so I won't be taking it to a mechanic anymore anyway (exception: alignment...), but I'd like to punch the guy that replaced my broken spring (R/R) and left some greasy hand prints on the felt interior pieces and still didn't put everything back together correctly.

Correction: It was Faboch...a month ago...post #10...here.

Last edited by u.nanimous; 06-16-2015 at 09:36 PM. Reason: So bad with names sometimes...
Old 06-19-2015, 12:18 PM

Was an hour and a half late & they left work.

Last edited by Chivo; 02-02-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:26 PM

I couldn't get my car fixed..

Last edited by Chivo; 02-02-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Dans 750
Mein Auto:
Make sure your clutch fan in the front is spinning while running my V12 fan actually loosened itself up and was running hot. just had to tighten it up which is really tricky to do.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:37 PM

Well the car runs a bit hot but everyone says it with spec's they measured it with the laser temp it's not overheating or leaking the leak I've found has to be a/c run off it's water.

I have my car in the shop to pass Texas state inspection to transfer my title from Illinois to Texas. New spark plugs, mass air filters, and other things hope this helps bring the needle down on the temp gauge.

For the most part the car runs fine.... Looks like $#* but runs fine. Hope to see my car at a track to do 155mph then I know my car well put together years ago when I bought my car it would do 155 like nothing now it stalls out at 110-140... Should a challenge to get up there now..

Old 06-23-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivo View Post
Man I went to a mechanic shop called advanced BMW repair in Houston Texas. The first time I went there while my car was overheating I told the man that I need a radiator he told me he couldn't take care of me to come back... I drove my car home and had three moments where my car almost spiked all the way into the red! They gave me an appointment for two weeks later I took my car somewhere else and had it repaired same day. I went back today to have my car serviced to pass state inspection here in Texas. My appointment was at 9:30 AM I showed up at 11:40-12. Met the same man he told me everybody was out on lunch I told him fine let me leave my car here and I'll come back when it's done and repaired he told me I couldn't do that.. I told them okay then thank you for your time goodbye what I want to leave you kept dragging on the conversation trying to condone why I can't leave my car there. I told him that frankly I don't care and I'm leaving he interrupted me leaving three times to spit bs to me. I told him that it's very rude for him to be dragging on a conversation while I'm trying to leave. When I open the door to leave, he goes I'll see you later buddy, I close the door looked him dead in the eyes and told him again you're very disrespectful I open the door again and he repeated his little antagonize goodbye. People are so smug and rude! Wasted my time and gas. I'm going to leave a review about that shop everywhere on the Internet.
Its all very well calling the garage disrespectful, but its equally disrespectful of you turning up well over 2 hours late. You had an appointment and they allocated a slot for you, so you can't complain if they then can't accommodate your being late.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:13 PM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E32;E34;E38;R50;R55
I wondered about that too.
E38 Parts Car
Previous:
E21 318i; E23 735i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
I've just changed my wiper blades and now my reverse lights don't work. Should I change my fuel pump relay?
Old 06-24-2015, 03:00 PM

Yes but does it availability truly change into hours??

The simple fact is there is no where I could park to wait for the man to come back from lunch. Besides that I've decided not to do business with them I need repair within a week not a month later. I have my car in a new shop right now.

Found someone replaced one side of the spark plugs with new less quality plugs also the brake boost line was cracked & the rear plug wires where burnt near the back of the engine so I think I found my electric problem.

I'm glad the other shop didn't take my car that day. I was planning on walking 15 miles to a family house to get a ride home. They sat on there hands so I drove to this new shop they took my car and I only walk 4 miles to my ride. I got no problems walking but there no sideways in this small towns lol. I find anyone claiming BMW repair like to sit on there hand while other shop that handle all high end car are better skilled twice over.

Took my car to the BMW guy told me to replace my radiator and he mentioned I needed a lock for my hood which was a lie-The square hook that screws into the hood just needed to be a loosened a bit to connect. & wanted to push a diagnostic on me.

This other shop took my car and told him what to replace and he replaced it no arguing or useless mentioning of non-essential parts.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:44 PM

An update on my car--
I've replaced all the spark plugs, air filters, fuel filter, and passed the air pollution and safety inspections. The mechanic was able to fix the tail lights wires now the tail lights full work and replaced the 3rd light bulb and now the entire car lights work!!! Took about $4,000 but was worth every penny now my car runs well and is safe. I'm happy that Texas cares about the safety of the cars more then Illinois did. I've cut a tree on my property to make room for a path of the a new driveway that will connect to the garage. Once I build the garage I will live in it to fix the car's appearance. I get 18 miles to the gallon here in Texas. In Chicago I was lucky to get 10 miles. Nothing happens in one day. As soon as I have the garage up I'm continue my schooling in automotive repair. I hate reading and practicing on rigs setups in classes. I want to work on a real car and see the quality of my work. I can't wait to go to school read do the 8 hour class and go home and spend 12 hours working on one of my car's perfecting my understanding of car repair. Thanks to all your input on my problems I feel there air trapped in the cooling system I've read on this site someone bleed the radiator multiple times for weeks till all the air got pushed out so I've been doing the same every time I bleed it a bit of bubbles come out. Everything working out, can't wait to have a garage!!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)
Today's Posts Search