Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-14-2010, 12:16 AM

Mein Auto: 325 bimmer
Please help - hard gear shift on my auto transmission in 1st and 2nd gear only!!

I have a 2007 525. I love the car; however, I am noticing a strange behavior. When I put the car into drive and accelerate, I notice a hard gear shift between 1st and 2nd gear. Now, for example, if I am accessing the freeway this does not happen. Any particular time I am giving gas to accelerate quickly, I don't notice the shift. But, if I am only going a few yards before I make a turn, for example, I feel the hard shift. Any particular time that I am only going around 3 to 4 miles per hour starting off, I get the hard jerk. My wife has a X5 and swears that this is just the way a BMW drives. I drove hers and I did notice somewhat similar behavior. Still, at the end of the day, something just doesn't seem right. I hesitate to even go to my SA. It is a long story but my wife's first X5 had transmission problems. The dealership even had the engineering group in North Carolina evaluating my software remotely. We ended up having to get another X5. If I go back to the SA about this, I am quite sure he will think I am a crazed nut. And, honestly, I'm tired too. Still, this really bothers me. Is this really just the way a BMW drives. Is it just a quirk that true BMW lovers have learned to deal with or could there be larger problems at bay? Any response is appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 07-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
try the tranny reset.

push start button, foot off brake, hold gas pedal to floor for 60 secs, problem fixed!

if this doesnt work, the software update worked for me

'08 535i sports premium, black on black/black.
'72 fiat 500L orange on black
Old 07-14-2010, 09:50 AM

Hi, thanks for responding but from what i heard, to push start and floor the gas pedal, it is not safe for the engine to red line in park. If i update the software, that means i have to take it to the dealer? also, why would this be a software update issue? i just got this car a week ago and am new with this car. please advise
Old 07-14-2010, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: honda civic
He meant foot off brake and push start without starting the engine, then hold gas pedal for, more like 30 seconds.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by high00tl View Post
Hi, thanks for responding but from what i heard, to push start and floor the gas pedal, it is not safe for the engine to red line in park. If i update the software, that means i have to take it to the dealer? also, why would this be a software update issue? i just got this car a week ago and am new with this car. please advise
yeah, i shouldve been more clear. i meant hit the start button with your foot off the brake, then hold the gas pedal to the floor. And as for amount of time goes, youll know when to let go because you will hear the car resetting the tranny. it sounds like clunks and gear movements, then the noises stop. this is when you let go. the first time it took about 30 secs, then the 2nd time i did it it took about 60 secs

'08 535i sports premium, black on black/black.
'72 fiat 500L orange on black
Old 07-15-2010, 01:10 AM

Thanks for the fast response! i think it worked since i don't notice the jerking as hard as before anymore. it still does but not that noticeable compare to before. thanks
Old 07-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Hofmeister kink ftw!1!!1!

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by high00tl View Post
I have a 2007 525. I love the car; however, I am noticing a strange behavior. When I put the car into drive and accelerate, I notice a hard gear shift between 1st and 2nd gear. Now, for example, if I am accessing the freeway this does not happen. Any particular time I am giving gas to accelerate quickly, I don't notice the shift. But, if I am only going a few yards before I make a turn, for example, I feel the hard shift. Any particular time that I am only going around 3 to 4 miles per hour starting off, I get the hard jerk. My wife has a X5 and swears that this is just the way a BMW drives. I drove hers and I did notice somewhat similar behavior. Still, at the end of the day, something just doesn't seem right. I hesitate to even go to my SA. It is a long story but my wife's first X5 had transmission problems. The dealership even had the engineering group in North Carolina evaluating my software remotely. We ended up having to get another X5. If I go back to the SA about this, I am quite sure he will think I am a crazed nut. And, honestly, I'm tired too. Still, this really bothers me. Is this really just the way a BMW drives. Is it just a quirk that true BMW lovers have learned to deal with or could there be larger problems at bay? Any response is appreciated.
This is/was a well-known issue for some cars. There are a lot of posts here about this, including several by me about my 2005 545i that did this.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 2002 745li,2003 530
we have an 05 545 with 70k on it, runs well but tranny shift a little hard sometimes, can someone post atf&filter change with proper type fluid, and should it be performed by a novice-thanks
Old 02-13-2011, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: e60
my 525i does sort of the same thing. i actually think what might be happening (at least in my case) is that this 6 speed steptronic trans actually starts you off in second gear.. if you get on the gas a bit, it then downshifts to first gear (which can be a bit of a harsh/weird/unexpected shift) then everything goes fine from there. i'm just guessing about the car starting out in second, but thats what it seems like. i don't love this but i guess its 'normal'