Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X6 3.5
I drove a 35i yesterday and take-off s*cked

I'll get to the main subject in a minute (if you want to only read the target subject, skip to TARGET):

I have a 2011 35d that I picked up at the PC at the beginning of June. After three months of ownership, I've found that I love absolutely everything about the inside of my car, but I've come to miss my E53 that I had for 7yrs when it comes to looks, handling, and acceleration. I do love my adaptive drive though.

Looks: that's just a personal thing, and that's mostly the color and the wheels. Color: my fault. Wheels: I can fix.

Handling: its just bigger and most noticeable when doing hard corners. The feel of my E53 was more sporty; I think its mostly because of the size.

Acceleration: here's the rub that most won't like, especially because my E53 was a 3.0. I've come to not like my 35d so much. This is the aspect that makes me miss my old car the most. Most of my driving is within 5-10 miles of my house. Take off and 'from low RPM' acceleration in the 35d absolutely sucks. I drove my E53 in sport mode all the time and shifted myself often. The shift points in sport mode on my 35d are just stupid and annoying, so I don't use it; that makes shifting myself an extra task since I have to switch, then shift. I've been trying to use sport more often and actually driving it 'totally manually'. Now when I drive it in 'sport automatic' it seems to be getting a little better, so perhaps its learning. We'll see. [I'm also thinking of taking it to service to see if it can be tuned.]

Flame on for all you adamant 35d owners for the above there! Please no 'go buy an (insert other brand here)' flame or 'go back to an E53' flame. I want an SUV and I don't like any SUVs but BMW and Porsche. And I will not own a car out of warranty again. X3? Get out. Really -- get out and walk.

So off to my original subject: I went to my friendly neighborhood BMW dealer this weekend to drive a 35i (gas vs diesel) and an X6 (small vs big). You know that this is bad if I want another car this soon, but I digress. They had a 35i MSport (that's exactly what I would want), and an X6 50 (if I sell the kid I could buy it). I drove the X6 first.

Sitting in that X6 was almost exactly like sitting in my own E70 (except that I hit my head when I got in). But driving it? Besides the fact that I couldn't see out the back window -- oh my gosh! That thing was great. It did exactly what I wanted it to when I told it to. A welcome relief from my 35d. I also drove it in sport mode at regular speeds down regular roads and it shifted like it should (as opposed to stupid). I watched the tach and it was keeping a perfect range. You can see what gear is in in the instrument cluster, which I think is cool. Interestingly, it never went into 8th gear when driving on the highway. Perhaps it won't go into 8th in sport mode. I did make sure it had an 8th by shifting into it. I drove it around for quite a while; highway and small roads. My son didn't like the back seat though; they were too low for him to see out the windows (he's nine).

TARGET:

Now for the 35i. I probably drove less that 1/2 a mile in that car. It didn't go when I pressed on the gas! It seemed to think about it for two seconds, then go. When I was pulling out onto the street in front of the dealer, I had to back up because I didn't know what would happen after that and I was afraid of getting hit. I waited for the road to be clear for a long stretch then tried again. Really slow take off again. After I got going, acceleration good. I drove a little, then turned off onto a little used side road, stopped, and tried to take off again. Same thing. Did it again. Same thing again. Tried it in reverse. Same thing. Tried it with 'jamming my foot to the floor' instead of doing it normally. Same thing. Turned it off and back on. Same thing.

It was a REALLY noticeable 'I'm not sure I want to do this' pause, then it would take off. And I thought my 35d had a lag -- compared to that car, mine is thoroughly cheetah-like!

After my repeated test take-offs, I turned around and parked the car at the dealer. I asked my CA if there was something wrong with the car. He said that he didn't think so. I had actually wanted to drive the 35i before the X6, but someone else had the 35i out on a test drive. I'm assuming that they didn't say anything bad about it after they came back when I was out in the X6. I told him that either the 35i really sucks, or he needs to get that thing to the service department pronto. I drove a 2010 30i before I ordered my 2011 and it was nothing like that.

Are you 35i owners experiencing anything like I described, or do you think the car that I drove is really messed up somehow?

I'd like to make a 'switching decision' based on a car that is behaving properly. If that's like a 35i acts, I'll save up for a X5 50, or an X6 for my next one. 14mpg could be hard to swallow, but that's what I got in my E53, and I only get 17 in my 35d now. Otherwise, I'll wait until they get in another 35i (or the one they have is fixed) and try again.
Ads by Google
Old 09-05-2010, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I think you got a bad one. Try again, perhaps at another dealer across town. The X6 reminds me of that old 4WD Eagle that American Motors put out -- ugly!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: Zipcars
Did you have the 35i in DS mode? The transmission adapts in regular, they could have had mostly grandmas test that one out. Always test drive in DS to see what the car is capable of.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Could have been the adaptations where off or not figured out yet - the one I test drove had 350miles on it and acceleration was instant, lot's of torque, drove just like the 5.0i I tested but just fell less powerful, but no hesitation or lag for sure.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d
I know this has been talked about before but I always read about it. Do all BMWs have this initial "lag". I have an 02 530 and there has always been a little lag when pressing the gas. Sometimes, if I aggressively press the throttle, the RPMs shoot up but the car goes nowhere. That is why I have learned to ease up on the throttle initially. That pretty much eliminates the lag and the RPM jump. Once I get the car going, it really does go.

Now, I am waiting for a 35d to arrive. The OPs comments concern me because I didn't notice a lag on my 2 test drives of the 35d and 35i. The 50i was more than I wanted to spend, so I didn't test it. I liked the acceleration characteristics of the 35d better both times. Maybe I am used to the lag. Also, the dealership was not next to any freeways. I usually try to get to a freeway on-ramp to see what a car can do.

When it arrives, I guess I will test it again for a final time before taking possession.

Last edited by Gian; 09-05-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Five is Right Out!

Mein Auto: 1987 190DT, 2009 X5 35d
Given that your 35D is an '11, I doubt you have very many miles on it yet. The real break-in period on these engines is a lot more than 1200 miles. You need to get at least 15k miles on them before they start to loosen up.

Also, I cannot stress enough how important high cetane fuel is to improving your fuel economy and performance. You need to make sure you are using fuel that has at least 47 cetane, preferably higher. After a few tanks of the "good" stuff, you should notice quite a difference as to how willing the engine really is to your throttle inputs.

I've been running quality fuel in my '09 35D since new and it keeps getting stronger the more I drive it. I have about 17k miles on mine right now, and seems like it is just coming into its own. Still getting 22-24mpg mixed driving.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
This "lag" has already talked about before it is actually from the tranny. To drive more smoothly -I have adjusted my driving style, My 35d likes a steady/constant even slightly increasing pressure on the accelerator pedal from a stop. It is more apparent when the engine is cold, it tends to hold that lower gear longer before shifting to the next. Some people have also tried Sport mode or manually shifting not sure if it has helped them.

Last edited by chip4; 09-05-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
my beef...

you spend the xtra money on the 50i yet it looks the same as a 35i....only chrome/grill difference.

the 50i should be noticebly different

that being said the 50i is quick as hell and will punch you back in your seat..
Old 09-05-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesaroo View Post
Given that your 35D is an '11, I doubt you have very many miles on it yet. The real break-in period on these engines is a lot more than 1200 miles. You need to get at least 15k miles on them before they start to loosen up.
I have about 5k on mine now. So more than 1200, considerable less than 15k. I don't think I'll hit 15k by the time its a year old considering its 3months old, but over 1800 of it was our wandering trip home from the PC. I put under 1k a month on my car.

Quote:
Also, I cannot stress enough how important high cetane fuel is to improving your fuel economy and performance. You need to make sure you are using fuel that has at least 47 cetane, preferably higher. After a few tanks of the "good" stuff, you should notice quite a difference as to how willing the engine really is to your throttle inputs.
I live in Austin, TX, which is in Travis County. Travis County requires that all diesel fuel sold in its bounds be a minimum of 48 cetane. Fortunately neighboring Williamson County and Bexar County (San Antonio) where I frequently travel also require minimum 48 cetane. So fortunately I don't have to worry about that unless I travel 'out of bounds', which isn't very often.

Quote:
I've been running quality fuel in my '09 35D since new and it keeps getting stronger the more I drive it. I have about 17k miles on mine right now, and seems like it is just coming into its own. Still getting 22-24mpg mixed driving.
Oh, a girl can dream of such mileage. I'm sure my mileage 'problem' is that my normal drives usually aren't more than 5 miles at a time. I live 2.25 miles from work. If I take my son to school first, its 4. When we go out to lunch, our limit is probably 7 miles; most places are within 2. I think I should make more trips to Ikea to get my gas mileage up!
Old 09-05-2010, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmanium View Post
Did you have the 35i in DS mode? The transmission adapts in regular, they could have had mostly grandmas test that one out. Always test drive in DS to see what the car is capable of.
2nd that. Regular start off from 2nd gear and that give you lag...if DS still not working out for you then go for the 50i or M.

2012 750iAH Mineral White, Oyster Nappa with Fineline Matte Wood trim. Cold, Driver Assistance, Luxury, Instrument panel leather, Sdadowline and BMW Apps.

Retired -
2011 X5 50i M Sport Alpine White
Old 09-06-2010, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayu910 View Post
2nd that. Regular start off from 2nd gear and that give you lag...if DS still not working out for you then go for the 50i or M.
+1.

I notice that in my X5 50i after doing some easy driving. The transmission is less likely to downshift, and it will quickly upshift.

However, it is quick to learn new driving habits. I had a Mercedes that would take forever to understand that I wanted to drive more aggressively.

2007 BMW 335i Sedan - Sport Pack
Old 09-06-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayu910 View Post
50i? Maybe. M? Perhaps if they cut $20k off the price tag!

I thought perhaps my car was starting out in 2nd, but I've done the 'over and up' upshift manuver as fast as I could and it went into 2nd, so I know its starting in 1st. It will shift into 2nd faster than I would prefer when I want to, lets say, 'do something stupid' (usually pulling across traffic). I've found that I need to drive manually when I do that, when I didn't need to with my E53; my practiced foot would just work. Perhaps when I get all used to getting the car to do what I want, I'll be all fine -- without spending a good $10-$15k more for a different one .
Old 09-07-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbja View Post
50i? Maybe. M? Perhaps if they cut $20k off the price tag!

I thought perhaps my car was starting out in 2nd, but I've done the 'over and up' upshift manuver as fast as I could and it went into 2nd, so I know its starting in 1st. It will shift into 2nd faster than I would prefer when I want to, lets say, 'do something stupid' (usually pulling across traffic). I've found that I need to drive manually when I do that, when I didn't need to with my E53; my practiced foot would just work. Perhaps when I get all used to getting the car to do what I want, I'll be all fine -- without spending a good $10-$15k more for a different one .
LOL, for some reason BMW decided to be very conservative under none DS mode even on 50i.

I suspect not only the programming on the transmission side is bit conservative but also the throttle is set to be little too liner. In the later case, maybe by use of Sprint Booster would help http://www.bimmertools.com/Sprint-Bo...p/sbx3x5x6.htm

2012 750iAH Mineral White, Oyster Nappa with Fineline Matte Wood trim. Cold, Driver Assistance, Luxury, Instrument panel leather, Sdadowline and BMW Apps.

Retired -
Old 09-08-2010, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 11' X5 Sport Activity
I just took delievery of my 35i a few days ago. While I certainly feel the heft of the car, esp. during dead stop acceleration, it certainly doesn't hesistate to get moving when gassed.
2006 Subaru Legacy GT (GONE)
2001 Honda Prelude modded (GONE)
Old 09-08-2010, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 07 750Li, 11 X5d
I have noticed hesitation in the last we've BMWs owned. The 750i and 535i had a noticeable momentary lag when suddenly gassed. Now am noticing the same thing with the 35d. They seem to go fine if you ease into the throttle but balk if suddenly pushed.

To get going quickly without bogging, I have found a little braking-torque launch to work well. With your foot on the brake pedal, apply a little throttle (you will feel the car load up). Then when it is time to go, let off of the brake and roll into the throttle = rocket ship time. You will want to practice this technique a few times in a safe area but it does not take long to get the hang of it.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-five boy View Post
I just took delievery of my 35i a few days ago. While I certainly feel the heft of the car, esp. during dead stop acceleration, it certainly doesn't hesistate to get moving when gassed.
You know either I'm really lucky or others are not, I will run in DS in the city at times for the fun but I don't have any hesitation worth writing about and No problems in DS mode ever. To power brake my car to get it going is a car I would trade the next time I turned the key off. And it's not like I don't know about takeoff feel is as I traded in a 2008 manual trans Porsche cayman for the X5. For those that do have problems I would bring it into service if it won't respond to your right foot, sorry, not meant to offend anyone here.
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Old 09-09-2010, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcar View Post
I have noticed hesitation in the last we've BMWs owned. The 750i and 535i had a noticeable momentary lag when suddenly gassed. Now am noticing the same thing with the 35d. They seem to go fine if you ease into the throttle but balk if suddenly pushed.

To get going quickly without bogging, I have found a little braking-torque launch to work well. With your foot on the brake pedal, apply a little throttle (you will feel the car load up). Then when it is time to go, let off of the brake and roll into the throttle = rocket ship time. You will want to practice this technique a few times in a safe area but it does not take long to get the hang of it.

Hope this helps.
lol launch control, not sure if that is good on your breaks...knowing BMW they prob. have a sensor in the car to see actually what happened.

I notice it on my 50i too, when I come to a stop sign and almost a complete stop and coast through it when I push my peddle it does not move then BAM throws me back in my seat...
Old 09-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Master Chief

Mein Auto: 09 BMW M3 e90
The 35i hesitates when in regular drive mode. DS is definitely more responsive (turbo lag is still noticeable though)

Old 09-13-2010, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 35d, 2011 X5 35d
when I test drove a 3.5 and noticed this same problem, the dealer said it was probably from them filling it with reg, low octane fuel, not premium. Could that be the culprit?
Old 09-14-2010, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5, Mercedes ML350
I have X5 with M-package 2009 with 4.8 engine. I must tell I'm not satisfied with its acceleration in D mode. In DS mode it is very good. But again it is BMW, what means more sporty car in peoples opinion, so it should be better even in DS mode than it is.

I must tell to OP that I test drove Porsche GTS and then Magnum based on Turbo-S with 680 h.p. and to my surprise they didn't satisfy me also, I didn't notice nothing extra-special, as if that lag , that "thinking" for 1-2 seconds was again there.

But when one time I test drove Mercedes G-class G55 with AMG motor which is classic offroader and is not considered a sporty car I was VERY surprised ! The car in direct meaning of the word is JUMPING immediately when u press gas. Then I understood what is AMG engine. Anyhow for accuracy of comparisons AMG motors should be compared with M-motors of BMW which I never tested myself. I suspect any 5-th sedan M or X5M is also "jumping".
Old 09-15-2010, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM123 View Post
I have X5 with M-package 2009 with 4.8 engine. I must tell I'm not satisfied with its acceleration in D mode. In DS mode it is very good. But again it is BMW, what means more sporty car in peoples opinion, so it should be better even in DS mode than it is.

I must tell to OP that I test drove Porsche GTS and then Magnum based on Turbo-S with 680 h.p. and to my surprise they didn't satisfy me also, I didn't notice nothing extra-special, as if that lag , that "thinking" for 1-2 seconds was again there.

But when one time I test drove Mercedes G-class G55 with AMG motor which is classic offroader and is not considered a sporty car I was VERY surprised ! The car in direct meaning of the word is JUMPING immediately when u press gas. Then I understood what is AMG engine. Anyhow for accuracy of comparisons AMG motors should be compared with M-motors of BMW which I never tested myself. I suspect any 5-th sedan M or X5M is also "jumping".
I installed Sprint Booster on my 528i. The lag is completely gone even in non-DS mode. It's like having a different car. It is far more fun to drive. Sprint Booster is well worth the $300 in my opinion.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5, Mercedes ML350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1992 View Post
I installed Sprint Booster on my 528i. The lag is completely gone even in non-DS mode. It's like having a different car. It is far more fun to drive. Sprint Booster is well worth the $300 in my opinion.
Which kind of thing is that Sprint Booster, how is it installed ? Please, tell us more about it.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM123 View Post
Which kind of thing is that Sprint Booster, how is it installed ? Please, tell us more about it.
Nobody can find anything for themselves? Why don't you search or use Google? If you can't find an answer, THEN ask.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Sprin...ient=firefox-a

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 09-15-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfitter View Post
Nobody can find anything for themselves? Why don't you search or use Google? If you can't find an answer, THEN ask.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Sprin...ient=firefox-a

dj
tell me about it, I mentioned in post #13 with a link too...

"I suspect not only the programming on the transmission side is bit conservative but also the throttle is set to be little too liner. In the later case, maybe by use of Sprint Booster would help http://www.bimmertools.com/Sprint-Bo...p/sbx3x5x6.htm"

Retired -
Old 09-15-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1992 View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm very tempting now...

Retired -