Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-14-2010, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
F10 550i owners need your driving impressions so far

I saw few posts from F10 535i owners on their driving impressions after few weeks of owning the car . Appreciate your input from F10 550i owners on the following:
- Dynamic handling package do you really feel difference (when I did short test drive could not tell)
- Driving around the city, I saw few folks complained about car feeling heavy or you have to push it hard (or adjust throttle response)
- Any other thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks for your input.
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2010, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 750 LI
I have had my F10 for a little over 6 weeks now and have about 1900 miles on it. Keep in mind that I am coming out of a 750LI. I cant get over the torque that this car posesses ( amazing). When I drove th test car with dynamic control I didnt notice any differnce so I did not include that option on my car. The steering does feel a bit heavier than my old 540i but it feels very well controlled. The ride is almost on par with the 7 series. I think you will be pleasantly surprises by the hushed, quiet controlled ride. At this point I cant think of anything I would change ( with the exception of an extra inch of rear leg room). As a side not it appears that Car and Driver has slammed BMW for its steering. I can honestly say that I am not sure what they were smoking when they test drove the F10 but I think they really got this one wrong...just my two cents worth.

11 550i Jet Black / Black Dakota Leather, Cold weather Pkg, Premium Pkg 2, Sport Pkg, Convenience Pkg, Smartphone, Anthracite Headliner

07 750LI

Former BMW's (Wished I would have kept them all!)

04 645Ci Retired
01 540i Retired
99 328i Retired

Old 07-14-2010, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i, Mini Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoulan View Post
I saw few posts from F10 535i owners on their driving impressions after few weeks of owning the car . Appreciate your input from F10 550i owners on the following:
- Dynamic handling package do you really feel difference (when I did short test drive could not tell)
- Driving around the city, I saw few folks complained about car feeling heavy or you have to push it hard (or adjust throttle response)

Thanks for your input.
I have had my 535i for about a month and a half and have approximately 750 miles on it. Definitely one of the best cars I have ever had. The only thing that I am still adjusting to is the hesitation when you first give it the gas. Whether it is turbo lag or just changing a gear almost immediately, it is just taking me a while to adjust to. My lead foot wife who accelerates much faster than me says it is just in my head so take it for what it is worth. Everything else about the car I really love.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoulan View Post

Thanks for your input.

I'm not getting my 550i xDrive until October. I drove the rear drive version with the DHP. There is an ENORMOUS difference between the settings. In addition, at least the sport plus setting is programmable. You can actually dial in your preference for steering effort, ride comfort, handling, and throttle response. I drove the 550i using three different settings (I was reluctant to try sport plus in an unfamiliar vehicle) under normal driving conditions and also very hard and fast on the back road hilly twisties. It is absolutely amazing. But if you don't know how to use it you can't understand it or appreciate it.

I have two settings in my 650i, sport and normal. The difference is dramatic. The four setting in the F10 with DHP is even more dramatic. And if you also get the integrated active steering you have an even better experience. I love the active steering on my 650i, but unfortunately it is not available on the 550i xDrive.

I seems to me that very few sales people understand the product they are selling. And it takes a long time for an owner to fully understand all the capabilities of their machine. It actually took me more than a year of ownership before I learned to take advantage of all the different options on my car. These included the different transmission options in conjunction with the steering and throttle response options. The F10 has a lot more driver controlled options. I think that is why you get so many conflicting opinions on this blog. I think I have a better feel for it because I have driven my car for 5 years.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.

Last edited by richschneid; 07-14-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasMike View Post
I have had my 535i for about a month and a half and have approximately 750 miles on it. Definitely one of the best cars I have ever had. The only thing that I am still adjusting to is the hesitation when you first give it the gas. Whether it is turbo lag or just changing a gear almost immediately, it is just taking me a while to adjust to. My lead foot wife who accelerates much faster than me says it is just in my head so take it for what it is worth. Everything else about the car I really love.
Try adjusting the throttle response. It's very similar in my car when not driving in the "sport" mode. If I push the "sport" button, as I do every time I start the engine, the throttle response becomes immediate.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.

Last edited by richschneid; 07-14-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: F150
Talking 550i ED Autobahn Experience

Just returned from Germany after accepting Euro Delivery. What an experience, Premium Lounge treatment, Food and Drink the tours. What fun.... We departed Munich and made our way to the Neuschwanstein Castle. A lot of back roads in route so no opportunity to open her up. But.. on the way to Frankfurt, look out. Wow does she fly, and pushing that little sport button does make a difference. It even sounds different. Only took her up to about 120mph on the autobahn. There was plenty of peddle left but the our delivery representative said to keep the tach under 4k. She hunkered down and hugged the road. Now have to wait 4 to 6 weeks to come across the pond. It is going to be a long wait......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0474.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	238921  
Old 07-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by richschneid View Post
Try adjusting the throttle response. It's very similar in my car when not driving in the "sport" mode. If I push the "sport" button, as I do every time I start the engine, the throttle response becomes immediate.
On both my Z4 and X3, I press the DTC/DSC button quickly to slightly reduce the traction control. That helps with reducing the hesitation.
2009 Club Car Precedent (to putter around the beach)
Old 07-20-2010, 10:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Has anyone determined if moving the gear selector to the left is redundant, if you have used the toggle switch to select sport mode? It is possible to toggle/select sport with the transmission in "D" - (yes I know the suspension calibration is included as well - if calibrated). The shift algorithim seems to be affected regardless of the shifter position.. Am I making any sense? Hell I think I confused myself
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)

Last edited by car-fan; 07-20-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Me too. Had mine for about 6 weeks and I'm loving it, though some things (cup holders), still need work.
I've been getting about 16 1/2 miles city, which is less than I was getting on my 2008 550i, but that's to be expected (read I have lead foot!).
As far as driving experience, I am in love. When I get into the car - I have auto close doors - the fun begins before I even start the engine. Acceleration in sport mode is outstanding and even better when I use the shifters on the steering wheel. Handling in traffic and winding turns, the ones I've been on so far, has been exactly what I'd expect - road hugging. Backup camera - I'm still getting used to that one, though the PDC (parking distance control) is as useful as always. These are my initial impressions....
Clear Bra
Convenience Pckg
Premium Pckg 2
Michelin Pilot SS
Sirius Sat
Sport Automatic