Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Angry I hate my 2009 X5

I hate my BMW. I can't depent upon it.

I love my 2009 x5 35d SUV for driving and towing, but it's a PITA if you're a real mom driving real kids around.

So my X5 35d has been in the shop for the 20th day since I bought it 11 months ago. It's had three diffferent sensors replaced, nav cd reader replaced, waited weeks for turbocharger parts, and yada, yada. This time I got to pay $380 to get the battery replaced because it no longer takes a charge.

I drive 20,000 miles per year, about 1800 miles per month. If you (or your kids) open the doors too often, the battery (flooded type) goes flat and the car won't start. The interior lights don't turn themselves off if you leave the door open. I get stranded. After a few cycles of discharging the battery too deeply, the battery no longer has the cranking capacity to start the car.

Today a loaner 2010 X3 battery went dead because somebody left the trunk door open for two hours. I've got a charger hooked up to the battery right now as I write this.

I will never buy another BMW. It handles nicely but is too unreliable and too user unfriendly. I'm a solar/pv application technician, and this is the DUMBEST electrical system I've ever had the displeasure to own. And yeah, I know all about trickle charging and battery banks...

Judy in California

Last edited by jblumhorst; 07-14-2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: typo
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblumhorst View Post
The lights don't turn themselves off.
Then you should get the vehicle fixed. If you put the headlights to the automatic position, it will turn them off. It is suppose to turn off any of the other lights after about 10-20 minutes.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 XDrive 35d
Sorry to hear about your probs. I love my 2009 X5 35d. Never had it stall or not start. Never had a dead battery, and I frequently sit in the car listening to the radio for a while, or leave radio on while washing it. Never had high battery drain issues. Only issue was a replaced nav disk reader, replaced with no problems, and in fact, when it was in shop getting repaired, I had a 335d loaner, which I loved. I can't wait for the 5-series to come out in a d-version...

You should consider lemon law return here in CA, esp if in shop 20 times.....Good luck!
Old 07-14-2010, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
sounds like you can't handle a car....
Old 07-14-2010, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: 12 991,11 X5 35d,05 CTT
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonitep View Post
sounds like you can't handle a car....
This coming from someone who wants to blind people with his lights?
Old 07-14-2010, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax View Post
This coming from someone who wants to blind people with his lights?
at least my lights work!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: e70, e36, e90, e46iT, 6.0
Quote:

I love my 2009 x5 35d SUV for driving and towing, but it's a PITA if you're a real mom driving real kids around.

I drive 20,000 miles per year, about 1800 miles per month. If you (or your kids) open the doors too often, the battery (flooded type) goes flat and the car won't start. The interior lights lights don't turn themselves off if you leave the door open. I get stranded. After a few times of discharging the battery too deeply, the battery no longer has the cranking capacity to start the car. So my car has been in the shop for the 20th day in less than a year, getting the battery replaced because it no longer takes a charge.

Today a loaner 2010 X3 battery went flat someboydy left the trunk door open for two hours. I've got it on a charger right now as I write this.

I will never buy another BMW. It handles nicely but is too unreliable and too user unfriendly. I'm a solar application engineer, and this is the DUMBEST electrical system I've ever had the displeasure to own. And yeah, I know all about trickle charging...
Judy in California

i hear all the real soccer moms drive lexus'. they take absolutely no thought to own whatsoever.

and i am supposed to believe that you tow things? how do you ever remember to connect the receiver?
good luck with your next car.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:41 PM

Lemon Law in CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderdoc View Post

You should consider lemon law return here in CA, esp if in shop 20 times.....Good luck!
If the lemon law were applicable, I would gladly return the car under the CA lemon law. However, in the case of conditions that aren't likely to cause death or serious injury, the car has to be out of service and in the repair shop for a cumulative total of 30 days since delivery and during the first 18,000 miles or 18 months to qualify as a lemon.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:49 PM

and your terrible wittle dealer is making you buy a new battery too. waaaaaaaaah
Old 07-14-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:

So my X5 35d has been in the shop for the 20th day since I bought it 11 months ago. It's had three diffferent sensors replaced, nav cd reader replaced, waited weeks for turbocharger parts, and yada, yada. This time I got to pay $380 to get the battery replaced because it no longer takes a charge.

I drive 20,000 miles per year, about 1800 miles per month. If you (or your kids) open the doors too often, the battery (flooded type) goes flat and the car won't start. The interior lights don't turn themselves off if you leave the door open. I get stranded. After a few cycles of discharging the battery too deeply, the battery no longer has the cranking capacity to start the car.

Today a loaner 2010 X3 battery went dead because somebody left the trunk door open for two hours. I've got a charger hooked up to the battery right now as I write this.

I will never buy another BMW. It handles nicely but is too unreliable and too user unfriendly. I'm a solar/pv application technician, and this is the DUMBEST electrical system I've ever had the displeasure to own. And yeah, I know all about trickle charging and battery banks...

Judy in California
it just keeps getting worse.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:

Judy in California
Sorry to hear this Judy... your dealer is screwing you over. The battery should be covered., AND they should be running the specific SIB for discharge for your car... Have they done that?

There are a few threads on this issue- the theory is that certain modules are faulty and cause the car to 'turn on' or more accurately certain modules draw high current at random times, discharging the battery. THis in turn destroys the battery.

Do a search for 'discharge' here and on xoutpost. And never mind some of the boors here on the thread.

A
Old 07-14-2010, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: '10 X5 diesel
Obviously, this should not be happening. I have not had any problems with mine, and I have kids in and out also. I leave the hatch open for extended times, etc... Never had a battery problem. I drive about the same amount of miles as you do. I love mine. Sorry to hear all the problems.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:11 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Sorry to hear this Judy... your dealer is screwing you over. The battery should be covered., AND they should be running the specific SIB for discharge for your car... Have they done that?

There are a few threads on this issue- the theory is that certain modules are faulty and cause the car to 'turn on' or more accurately certain modules draw high current at random times, discharging the battery. THis in turn destroys the battery.

Do a search for 'discharge' here and on xoutpost. And never mind some of the boors here on the thread.

A
Judy,
Ard, as you will know from reading his inputs on this Forum knows a lot about cars, & definitely seems to know all about BMWs

I work in a Major OEM as a Quality Engineer, and can tell you that you definitely have an issue, holding modules on, and flatening your Battery.
We have experienced something similar with our cars, and found some Supplier Quality issues that were causing certain modules to drain to earth.

All our customers got replacement Batteries, and advice on how to handle the cars until a software debug was availlable. (all within warranty, no questions)

I hope that you haven't paid for your battery yet, tell you dealer to Go F#@k Himself, and take your car to another dealer !

You said your car is only 11 months old ?????
You should not be paying for anything other than worn tires & brake pads, and I hear that even the service is free in the states.

and never mind the dumbAss comments from NY (he is obviously not a Potential BMW owner)

My 2010 MY made in July 2009, switches off interior lights, and even shuts down the HiFi 8 minutes after keying off (sometimes that's annoying, but I understand why it does it)
I use my programmed follow me home lights often, and don't get any Battery problems.

Sorry to hear that your experiences have put you off future BMW ownership.
Maybe good service, from a good dealer, who fixes your car, will change your mind

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera
Old 07-15-2010, 05:29 AM

i reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally thought this was a spoof.

who pays for anything on an 11 month old NEW vehicle?

forgive my boorish behavior, too much time spent on bimmerforums.com
Old 07-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Sounds like we are back on track.

Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=429787

Oh, and one might wonder why they charged you $380 for the battery and not cover it under warranty with BMW? The warranty claim from BMWNA is probably $45 over their cost....this way they get full retail (ie profit) on the battery plus an hour of labor.

Judy- take a look at that link, try and find more complete technical discussions on others that had the problem and fixed it- then print these out and have a sit down discussion with the service Manager. Ask that he confirm all this was done. If not, request a refund and proper diagnosis. Or ask for an appointment with the BMWNA Regional Rep. Remember, the dealer IS NOT BMW. The dealer is an independent business, separate from BMWNA.

GL

A
Old 07-15-2010, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Who leaves their trunk open for 2 hrs?

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 07-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
Who leaves their trunk open for 2 hrs?
I leave my trunks open for days- or over night. Airs them out.

(I live in an area where we get warm temps and single digit humidity.

(But I was born in NYC, where cars survive in a continually hostile environment 24/7.....thieves, water, elements, other cars, door dings, bumper damage, etc, etc)
Old 07-15-2010, 09:47 AM

7 year old boys leave the cargo door up frequently when we're camping or at the lake. The cargo area holds all the towels, watertoys, food, etc. The kids open the doors all day long. Sometimes they forget to close them. There is no switch to deactivate the interior lights, so they stay on if the kids leave the rear hatch up.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Not to depart from the topic, but I went on camping trips with a bunch of other families with kids ranging from 3-12 years old, and none of us had the need to constantly open the doors or the cargo door endlessly or needlessly. Maybe it's not the BMW at fault? Just wondering.....

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 07-15-2010, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
There is no switch to deactivate the interior lights, so they stay on if the kids leave the rear hatch up.
Well, yes and no. You can deactivate the interior lights, which will solve the open door problem, but you cannot deactivate the rear hatch lights.

If you read the Owner's Manual, which has lots and lots of useful information, you'll see that by holding the interior light switch down for a few seconds, it will deactivate the interior lights.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.5D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Well, yes and no. You can deactivate the interior lights, which will solve the open door problem, but you cannot deactivate the rear hatch lights.

If you read the Owner's Manual, which has lots and lots of useful information, you'll see that by holding the interior light switch down for a few seconds, it will deactivate the interior lights.
Penguin is right. Owner's Manual has following:

"If you wish the interior lamps, footwell lamps, door entry lighting and courtesy lamps to remain switched off all the time, press the button for approx. 3 seconds."
Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 PM

Mein Auto: '95 525i '05 X5
I just went through 2 batteries in my 2005 X5 early this year after they discharged and wrecked the battery. Finally took to dealer who told me that my GENERAL CONTROL MODULE was bad and causing the drain. After that "ok", they still kept the car and decided a few days later that it the BLUE TOOTH module ALSO. Told them to take a hike on charging $900 for blue tooth and to leave it unplugged. I'm sure if there is a way to test the GENERAL CONTROL MODULE I'm sure that will be perfectly fine.

I'm not thrilled with the X5.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:09 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: Car
Yes you're right this X5 is really user unfriendly....
Old 07-16-2010, 05:10 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
Nearly every vehicle I have owned and worked on has had a built in timer in it ECU that will automatically turn off all door /courtesy lights after 15 minutes.

Cars like the X5, Rang Rover, Volvo XC90 are called "shooting breaks."
They get this name because of the design of the rear hatch, having the lower lid which is designed strong, for you to open up and use as a bench seat whilst out "Shooting" Pheasant.

I have only had my X5 for two months, and haven't really been anywhere in it yet other than work, to find out if the auto off function is not in it.
But when loading up my car, returning from long trips, it normally takes me longer than 15 minutes to pack every little nook and cranny with stuff.
In all my other vehicles, during these times the lights have always tripped out on the timer.
I would be amazed, and horrorified if the X5 does not do this, and totally Pi##ed if it flatened the battery.

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera
Old 07-16-2010, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 328i
Quote:
7 year old boys leave the cargo door up frequently when we're camping or at the lake. The cargo area holds all the towels, watertoys, food, etc. The kids open the doors all day long. Sometimes they forget to close them. There is no switch to deactivate the interior lights, so they stay on if the kids leave the rear hatch up.
PM me and I will tell you what I did with my 2008 X5 that was riddled with problems. You'll find that BMW is quite helpful (not the dealership).

Nick-