Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-29-2003, 11:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330xi
Average Joe drives the X3

Tookk my wife to the dealer today to check out the new X3. For our lifestyle we must have AWD and we must have one vehicle in the family capable of towing a small boat. So we are looking at small to medium sized SUV's.

First impression of the exterior was very positive. The X3 seems "right-sized" for our needs. Don't want to take anything away from the X5 but it seemed a bit too big for us.

The black bumper did not bother me (blue paint) as much as I thought it would. It does stand out but it's certainly not an eye-sore. If you look at most suv's you'll find plenty of exterior plastic on the vehicle. In fact, the new X5 has black plastic around the exterior of the wheel well.

The inside took a bit to warm up to. The non skid bottom portion of the dash and upper door sills was a bit strange and probably looked as bad as it could get with the gray interior. Black may be a better option.

The doors are very light and felt a bit cheap BUT I'd rather have light than super heavy. The door pull was strange looking but I am sure it would grow on me.

The enormous sun roof is quite incredible. Compare this to the honda pilot which offers no sun roof and the X3 really shines.

The non sport seats were extremely comfortable. I like them better than my 330xi sport seats. Firm.

Cluster and gauges were very nice- thumbs up here.

Leg and head room were great- no problems for this 6' 4" body. Back seat had plenty of both as well.

Getting out of the car had one downfall- your leg will rub against the side of the car. Maybe running boards will help?

Drive:
We had the 3.0 with step. Took her onto the highway for 10 miles. Acceleration was excellent but that's if you compare it to another 6 cylinder SUV. It actually has more pep than my wifes V8 explorer. Compare it to the 3.0 sedan and you'll be disappointed because it's a lot more sluggish.

We were up to 80mph in no time and had the sun roof partially open. It has several settings - pretty cool

Took the on and off ramps as fast as though practicle and have to say the handling is great. Very nimble and not boat like feeling you get from lexus or american suv's.

Overall I rate it high for what we (my wife) are looking for. The style is not bangled and it's a true performing Suv. The price is a bit steep so the only way I would consider this a good buy would be to go Euro Delivery. USA MSRP is higher than what I think the vehicle is worth.
Just and fyi- salesguy thinks they are made in Georgia (place they had the off road test center) so he did not think ED was an option

I think this will be one of BMW's best sellers. The general public will love the X3 but may not be able to get over the steep sticker price.

If you are at a BMW dealership check out the X3- the moonroof is worth taking a peek at.
1997 TJ Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited Sahara
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2003, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly
Just and fyi- salesguy thinks they are made in Georgia
the X3 is not even made (well, assembled) by a bmw factory. READ ME

Last edited by ___lk___; 11-29-2003 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:58 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Just and fyi- salesguy thinks they are made in Georgia (place they had the off road test center) so he did not think ED was an option
Wow... I understand sometimes when a sales person does not know something of the car that is trying to sell. But in this case it blows my mind because the X3 is a very special vehicle for BMW just because of where and by whom is made.

On top of this, it should be common knowledge by now, by any BMW sales person, that the only place that build BMWs in the States is in South Carolina...

Nice X3 write up, though...
Old 11-30-2003, 01:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 OB 330i
I took a pass on the X3, but I am curious to see what people here think of it as time goes on.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:27 AM
Raoul Duke

Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
Quote:
Originally Posted by ___lk___
the X3 is not even made (well, assembled) by a bmw factory. READ ME

And to think I worked for a company based in Graz. I could have done a free ED.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:40 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
[QUOTE=FireFly]Just and fyi- salesguy thinks they are made in Georgia (place they had the off road test center) so he did not think ED was an option

Maybe he was thinking of Georgia, Europe, on the eastern shores of the Black Sea?
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 11-30-2003, 07:01 PM
Audi, BMW or Porsche???

Mein Auto: 2010 S4, 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
For our lifestyle we must have AWD and we must have one vehicle in the family capable of towing a small boat.
In one of the reviews of the X3 3.0, I just read that the towing capacity is 3748 lbs. That doesn't sound like a lot to me (although I don't know much about towing or boats). What I had in mind was towing a track car. Considering the added weight of the trailer, I guess an X3 could barely tow an E46.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:13 PM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
The X3 is rated to tow 3500...pushing it if you wanted to tow a track car. It's meant to tow things like jet skis or motorcycles...anything more, get an X5
Old 12-02-2003, 01:45 PM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippek
The X3 is rated to tow 3500...pushing it if you wanted to tow a track car. It's meant to tow things like jet skis or motorcycles...anything more, get an X5
Or an F-150.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 330xi
most small boats weigh less than 3500 pounds with boat/motor/trailer.

If you are towing a large boat or car I suggest a trailer with brakes- makes a world of difference.
1997 TJ Sahara
2008 JK Unlimited Sahara