Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 07-16-2010, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 524TD+carbed 750il motors
524TD engine swap into a '63 Thunderbird

Hi gang! I'm the captain of the 24 Hours of LeMons Team Police Brutality. I'm also the guy who took an M70 V12 and converted it to a single Holley 600cfm carb, then transplanted it into a '63 Thunderbird. It would have worked if the water pump hadn't crapped out right before the race. I could race it again, but it's already been done, and I like to maintain our team's legendary status by choosing the most illogical and PITA engine swap I can find right before a race...
Link to a media article about the car:
http://jalopnik.com/5578879/63-thund...an-intake--win

Anybody happen to know if the engine mounts or trans length is similar between the M21 and the M70? Any tips on the M21 prep? The previous owner gave me the jig for the cam, to do the timing belt swap. Is it really necessary, or can I go old school and just mark the belt and pulleys, and transfer the marks? It worked on my A6.
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2010, 10:47 AM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycop View Post
Hi gang! I'm the captain of the 24 Hours of LeMons Team Police Brutality. I'm also the guy who took an M70 V12 and converted it to a single Holley 600cfm carb, then transplanted it into a '63 Thunderbird. It would have worked if the water pump hadn't crapped out right before the race. I could race it again, but it's already been done, and I like to maintain our team's legendary status by choosing the most illogical and PITA engine swap I can find right before a race...
Link to a media article about the car:
http://jalopnik.com/5578879/63-thund...an-intake--win

Anybody happen to know if the engine mounts or trans length is similar between the M21 and the M70? Any tips on the M21 prep? The previous owner gave me the jig for the cam, to do the timing belt swap. Is it really necessary, or can I go old school and just mark the belt and pulleys, and transfer the marks? It worked on my A6.
Sounds like great fun, but I've gotta tell you this; stock comes with specs and guidance. Only God knows about the rest.