Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-17-2010, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 98 BMW 528i
98 528i Rough Idle, No Power, Stalling - Need Help!!

So my 98 528i stated out having a rough idle, eventually I stated to get loss of power in the low rpm range. Threw codes P0340, P0441, P0440. So I Replaced the Cam position sensor and the problem seemed to get better that day but worsened and now is worse than ever. Used BMW OEM Cam Sensor. When that didn't fix the problem I did a Vanos Seal replacement. After that the problem still remained. Checked the CEL codes just recently and I am throwing P0340, P0440, P1188, P1189. I am at a loss of what to do now. I am also really confused as the why I am still throwing the Cam sensor code (p0340). I would appreciate any help or suggestions.
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
I'd get the evap system (P0440) sorted out before doing anything else. It lives behind the left rear fender liner.

There have been reports of bad CPSs in the market, but these are usually aftermarket units.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:33 PM

Would the Evap system cause my car to run this poorly? I have a feeling its probably just my gas cap as far as that code is concerned. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-17-2010, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
You probably have an Intake Air Leak causing multiple codes.

When did my 1998 528i a while back at 100K miles, many hoses under the Intake manifold were on the way out, I replaced all vacuum hoses under the Intake Manifold.
It seems that you probably have about 150K miles on ypour car. What is your mileage?

I wrote the DIY here, you may want to read through this:
DIY: Oil Line ---> Intake Seals, Vanos, CCV, ICV and Alternator Air Duct (Very Long!)
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=379225
Old 07-17-2010, 03:55 PM

I have 175k on my car right now.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 525i
How about spark plugs?
Old 07-18-2010, 04:49 AM

Mein Auto: E39 528i sedan
Wolf,
Sounds like you are having the same problem as I. It is a bad vacuum leak. Yesterday I finished replacing the CVV/oil-separator, along with all of the vacuum hoses that connect to it, which is under the fuel rail, and next the to throttle body. In the past, I have paid BMW in El Paso, and BMW in San Antonio, for 3 diagnostics and the only thing they tell me are codes - which keep coming back as "misfires". So they keep saying it's my coil packs and/or sparkplugs. Codes dont detect the vacuum leaks. Smoke tests do; (so I have been researching). I have already changed my coil packs and spark plugs... And it still shakes and loses power at low RPM's and when going uphill. It almost feels like I'm running on 3 cyclinders instead of 6.... Later on today I'm also replacing both cam shaft sensors (at the VANOS), for the 3rd time in 3 yrs, because the lower one keeps blowing and leaking oil thru it.... Obviously too much air is coming into my crankcase and I speculate that high pressure is blowing the lower cam-shaft sensor... My next thing for me to do, is to get a smoke/vacuum-leak test to see where else my car is sucking up all of the air. I did find one of my older hoses had a inch long rip on it, from dry-rotting due to engine heat. I replaced that also. There are 2 large sections of tubing that run from the Air Filter Housing into the throttle body. One of those sections was the one that had an inch long tear in it. Anyhow, I'll find out tomorrow if the new cam-shaft sensors will work and resolve the problem. If not then, I'm gonna be back to the drawing board and clueless..... Wish me luck.....
Old 07-18-2010, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Quote:
Originally Posted by blwolf21 View Post
I have 175k on my car right now.
Then trust me (see post above), at 175 miles, alot of hoses under the Intake Manifold are probably long gone. When you remove the Intake Manifold, you will be greeted with surprise, trust me.

The good news is: if you follow the DIY above, it is not hard at all. Parts are cheap (mostly generic hoses).
Old 07-18-2010, 12:56 PM

I'm going to get the intake manifold off today. I will let you know what I find.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:34 PM

Send a message via MSN to tmoftw
Mein Auto: 1998 540i/6 Premium Sport
my 98 540i with 171k is having the exact same prob. started out with erratic idle, and threw 2 o2 codes and an unknown, so i replaced the o2s and my mechanic recommended replcing the maf wen the 02s didnt fix it. about 2 weeks ago it started lsing mid range, on the freeway over 3500 in top gear it had nothing. and would just float between 3500 and 4000rpms. now that i changed the maf as well, my idling issues are not as pronounced, but still gets very noticable shaking from idling-2000rpms where it feels like my car is gonna give out and stall if i dont apply heavy throttle. they didnt say a thing about the hoses at the shop, but im assuming the 540 would be subject to the same vacuum leak problem as the 528, considering the similarities in mileage and problems its having? is there a diy for my engine as well?

Last edited by tmoftw; 07-18-2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: forgot something.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:26 AM

So I start to pull The air intake off and right away I notice that the maf housing was not seated down over the hose underneath . Sure enough, it was the problem. After I did the vanos seals I cleaned the maf and did not get it seated correctly which caused my intake vacuum leak. All is good now and my power is restored. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to tmoftw
Mein Auto: 1998 540i/6 Premium Sport
hm, i will definitely have to check that out tonight! thats for keeping us posted, that may help solve my problem if that is part of my issue. i also tried the balloon trick to check for ccv hose leaks with a rubber glove finger and if i hadnt zip tied it on i think it wouldve gotten sucked into the dipstick hole it was sucking so much air in! is this concrete evidence of a ccv issue?
Old 07-20-2010, 03:11 PM

It does sound like a vacuum leak problem as well.... I can almost bet that with your car's mileage being at 171K, if you haven't done any preventative maint. or replacement of your vacuum hoses, - then that's what it is. Recently I had the same symptoms as you, and so as I took off my air filter housing, I noticed my large hose, which leads to the throttle body, had a 1 inch rip in it to due engine heat. It was just dry rotted, and you can't see it from above. You have to take this hose off and visually check it. Since you have a 540i you have to check two sets of those, from the air filter housing. I also changed out my oil-separator/CVV and all of the vacuum hoses that run to it... When I started my car it ran so much better but still was sluggish. this time I was able to get one code, instead of many, and it was different from the others. Code P1397, cam-shaft position sensor on the "B" circuit was bad... I already ordered it. But like "cn90" mentioned, these vacuum hoses, for the most part, are not that expensive... It's just a time consuming job and very good preventative maint. It's sad that BMW dealers are not able to detect vacuum leaks... They kept trying to push me to buy new coil packs and spark plugs.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
similar problem

not sure if mine is a vacuum leak- opinions? My car, '99 E39 auto i-6 is losing power at low RPM. Also has a slight 'shudder' from 1st to 2nd gear.

Dealer thought this was a transmission shudder- tech notes- and possible that transmission gear teeth were broken. (I'm not a tech- just repeating his notes).

Have read most of the posts here about bushings- not sure if that's it- possible vac leak?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 PM

If you feel your car tremble while in neutral and a little, as you give it some gas/or rev it in neutral, - then it's not the Transmission... If it only does that while accelerating and only in those two gears, then it may be your tranny "slipping" in the areas of those two gears and their clutch components.... Don't trust the dealer too much, and get other opinions from. If I would have trusted the dealer every time I went in for a diagnostic, then I would have spent about 1 thousand bucks in just spark-plug and coil paks with in the last 3 yrs. They could never find my problem and all it was, was a combo of a vacuum leak and a bad cam-shaft position sensor on the B circuit....
Old 07-23-2010, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
thanks- very helpful. I'll do some testing and see if it's slipping in neutral.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: '98 528i, '82 323i
After reading up on those cursed w/ hidden vacuum leaks, I decided to perform a little preventive maintenance this spring...I tore it all down to the block, then put it all back together w/ all new gaskets, orings, ccv, icv, hoses, bellows, ...
Peace of mind....priceless!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	From Iphone 151.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	239467   Click image for larger version

Name:	From Iphone 164.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	239468   Click image for larger version

Name:	From Iphone 150.jpg