Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-18-2010, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528i
Unhappy Problems with my 2000 528i

Hi guys,

I just got a 2000 528i with around 80k miles that was a bit scuffed up from a wreck. We fixed up the body and it ran great so we figured we were getting a good deal. Yesterday, the car started shaking weird and so I cycled the key and it was running fine again. Still wanting to check the error messages, I went to a friend near me that owns a BMW repair shop. I had a check engine light, an airbag light and another light that was because the car needs an alignment because the steering wheel is crooked.

Long story short, he printed me off a list with problems that have to do with the check engine light. Here's what I got: Misfires on Cylinders: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6; Fuel trim bank 2 and 1; Fuel trim bank 2 and 1 control limit; Signal, ox. sensor before cat. converter bank 2, min. value undershot.

I was wondering if you guys had any ideas what could be causing these problems before I go running off to a mechanic/garage. I read online that the Fuel trim problems could be caused by the MAF. As far as the misfires, I haven't tried replacing the spark plugs yet but I was wondering if it could be since all of them misfired except 2. Also, in the week that I have had the car it only misfired that one time so it's not frequent. The car had been sitting for awhile after the accident but the engine looked immaculate. There are some other errors with the airbag sensor but I'm mainly concerned about the engine, if you guys could help I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm upgrading from my 1995 BMW 325i and before that I had a 1991 BMW 530i. I only had one other car besides my BMW's and I didn't keep it for long as I traded it for the 325i.
Ads by Google
Old 07-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Why didn't you get your friend to give you a quote on repairs, or at least a diagnostic (for which you should pay him)?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:51 PM

I guess I shouldn't have used the term friend, he's more of an acquaintance in that he has fixed some of my cars and my parents cars before. Basically, I want to know, somewhat, what could be the problems so I don't run in there not knowing anything and him tell me that there's so much to replace (because he still wants to make money even though I know him) and me just take the bait and be out more money. Plus, I sort of want to try and fix it myself if it's not too much trouble or at least diagnose it more than it already is to save me money if I do have to bring it to him.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02 530, 02 540, 07 525
A bad MAF can cause many of those faults as will a vacuum leak such cracked hoses or intake seals.

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be eaten by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:13 AM

Ok, I figured I would have to replace that but should I go ahead and replace the whole MAF unit (body and sensor) or just replace the sensor, based on the problems I'm having? Also, would that MAF be causing me the misfire every once in awhile as well or could that be something else?

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i Sport
Check for air and vacuum leaks, particularly aft of the MAF. Look for hidden cracks in the corrugated rubber that branches off the large rubber tube that comes after the MAF.