Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionfish View Post
With all due respect, Why go through the hassel when I could just simply have someone else do it for me. My time is more valuable than hanging with a few tires.
I can respect that decision.

But you said you didn't have the knowledge or the skills. The difference between not being ABLE to and not WANTING to is the whole issue.

I find many people say 'their time is too valuable', and perhaps it is. But if you have the time to go to a shop and wait the 45 minutes it takes, or for an oil change you waste a half hour dropping it off and a half hour picking it up, you are saving no time.

Again, if you can do it but choose not to because you don't want to get dirty, or your time is more valuable, these are all valid in my book. Not knowing how isn't.

JMHO.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
The reason I did it myself was not so much about my time, but about the knowledge and confidence that if the proverbial s**t hits the fan (dark, rainy, spotty cell coverage, not a friendly neighborhood, AAA over an hour away, you name it), I can change the tire under half an hour and be on my way. Exactly the same reason I've demanded, and watched, my wife change the tire in our driveway. Just my 2 cents...
Old 11-27-2012, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5
Dear All,

Two questions:

Is it ok to use a generic floor jack on the X5, in the location where we are supposed to use a BMW jack (mine didn't come with a jack or spare)? If not, a jack from a 2004 X5 should be ok, right?

If I use a jack stand, do I put it under the axle of the tire I just removed?

Thanks,
Walt
Old 11-27-2012, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt415 View Post
Dear All,

Two questions:

Is it ok to use a generic floor jack on the X5, in the location where we are supposed to use a BMW jack (mine didn't come with a jack or spare)? If not, a jack from a 2004 X5 should be ok, right?

If I use a jack stand, do I put it under the axle of the tire I just removed?

Thanks,
Walt
Many people, including myself, use adapters like these when using a floor jack:

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES251251/

Several companies sell similar products.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemersn View Post
BMW recommends not to rotate tires (from the owners' manual). In any case, all my rides have staggered set up. This is not an option to me.
Mine is staggered too. The dealer advised that the tires should be balanced regularly, and the alignment should be done once a year. The tires I have were bought at a local Discount Tire, and they would balance them for free for life - when I stopped by, they said I should do it every 6,000 miles or so. Just FYI mine are 20" Michelin Lattitude HP's.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: e70, e36, e90, e46iT, 6.0
A floor jack would be better IMO. This way you could get both wheels off the ground at the same time. Be careful when using jack-stands, most of the suspension bits are aluminium. I would suggest putting the jack stand at the other jacking point.

Try a floor jack in the rear and a jack stand in the front. This usually works on my 3 series to get one side off the ground.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemersn View Post
BMW recommends not to rotate tires (from the owners' manual).
Tell that to the BMW service centers. They always want you to rotate the tires.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseattle View Post
Mine is staggered too. The dealer advised that the tires should be balanced regularly, and the alignment should be done once a year. The tires I have were bought at a local Discount Tire, and they would balance them for free for life - when I stopped by, they said I should do it every 6,000 miles or so. Just FYI mine are 20" Michelin Lattitude HP's.
Off topic but can't stop to ask!
I switched to Conti DWS 20" from Dunlop's using local Discount tires and I'm told to rotate side to side for 50K warranty in spite of staggered setup.
Since then my steering wobble at high speed and breaking in spite of re checking the balance and alignment.
Does Michelin Latitude HP's behave the same on X5? or this is the nature of non RFT's?

Much thanks

2012 X5d...with all possible pks & flowers...