Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-18-2010, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Cool Not sure what kind of Warranty to get if any

I was reading the upgrade on the extended warranty from BMW it looks like once your original warranty is up 4 years/50,000 miles you can purchase the upgrade for 6 year/100,000. I purchased a certified pre-own X3 2007. The car was purchased originally on August 31,2007 and I purchased it on July 12,2010. From what I understand you can either pick the financing 0.9% for 24 months or the upgrade 6 year/100,000k unfortunately I was not offered the later so I took the financing. I am not sure what kind of warranty to get and am planning on keeping car a long time since it was pricier than what I am used to. The finance manager was really pushing some type of extended warranty also tire protection and something called a gap warranty. Since I did not have any pamphlets to read I did not feel comfortable buying any extended warranty and putting it onto my finance charge at this time. I have one year left on my maintenance warranty and then the 2 year left on my cpo warranty which is only on major party (eg. climate, engine, transmission) Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2010, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: X3
If you read my old posts, you can find my research results on which ext. warranty companies to buy from and how much they quote me. Don't just buy from any random companies and never been able to get any coverage. Check BBB before you purchase.

-- John
Old 07-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Glfbggy

Mein Auto: 07 X3si, 00 528, 00 MZ3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex102366 View Post
I was reading the upgrade on the extended warranty from BMW it looks like once your original warranty is up 4 years/50,000 miles you can purchase the upgrade for 6 year/100,000. I purchased a certified pre-own X3 2007. The car was purchased originally on August 31,2007 and I purchased it on July 12,2010. From what I understand you can either pick the financing 0.9% for 24 months or the upgrade 6 year/100,000k unfortunately I was not offered the later so I took the financing. I am not sure what kind of warranty to get and am planning on keeping car a long time since it was pricier than what I am used to. The finance manager was really pushing some type of extended warranty also tire protection and something called a gap warranty. Since I did not have any pamphlets to read I did not feel comfortable buying any extended warranty and putting it onto my finance charge at this time. I have one year left on my maintenance warranty and then the 2 year left on my cpo warranty which is only on major party (eg. climate, engine, transmission) Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
My recommendation is to not purchase any after market warranty. It is better to just start a separate savings account with $10-$20/month for any high cost repairs. You'll end up ahead in the long run as you'll get the interest on the money while it isn't used.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 X3 3.0i, 98 M3 Cabrio
If it's still under 50k miles you should be able to purchase CPO to 100k from dealer? Cost of that will cover brakes and other services, well worth it. But, don't wait 15k miles between oil service. I did that and now at 105k it uses a quart every 2500 miles. Dealer says that is normal and okay, but independants disagree.

'98 328ic Cabrio, one owner cream puff, Boston Green-tan leather, 46,000 miles, sport package, factory hardtop, Harmon-kardon 6 CD changer, OB computer, heated seats, 4 Dunlop Sport Snows on CCD Alloys. For sale as soon as CT issues my title.

Sail and Drive Fast! Live Slow...