Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 07 Cadillac Escalade
Has anyone bought a 650i from a far away dealership?

Hi guys I am recently in search of a 07-08 650i and I live in Oklahoma where there is very few 6ers for sale, and by very few, I literally mean 3-4. I have found cpos in california that fit what I want but it is very far away. I was wondering if any of you guys have bought a car over a great distance and the experience that comes with it. Like is it difficult to ship? do you have to drive it back? is it okay not to see the car in person first before you buy it and any hassles that come with it. Thank you.
Ads by Google
Old 07-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Nerdy G

Send a message via AIM to Bk650
Mein Auto: 650i
personally i would never buy a vehicle unseen and test driven take a trip itll be worth it.. i went to chicago to get mine.

650i on 22's Asanti, mtec v3 angel eyes, Custom exhaust...

2000 GS300 heavily modded gone but never forgotten
1998 LS400 Daily driver
2005 Range Rover HSE (family car) Lost in Divorce
Old 07-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luo6232 View Post
Hi guys I am recently in search of a 07-08 650i and I live in Oklahoma where there is very few 6ers for sale, and by very few, I literally mean 3-4. I have found cpos in california that fit what I want but it is very far away. I was wondering if any of you guys have bought a car over a great distance and the experience that comes with it. Like is it difficult to ship? do you have to drive it back? is it okay not to see the car in person first before you buy it and any hassles that come with it. Thank you.
I know that others here have crossed (multiple) state lines for their 6s and driven them home. Have you checked with any Dallas or Houston BMW dealerships?

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 07-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 650i Convertible
bought mine from north carolina and had it shipped to washington state... it was CPO... everything went well, dealer is a forum sponsor (flow bmw) and aparently reputable...

was exactly what I expected it to be... cost about 1300 to ship and took 2 weeks.

they sent me the carfax and CPO checklist as well... but still ultimately you assume a lot of risk...
HUD, Cold Weather and Sports Package
Logic 7 Sound
Aluminum Racing Pedals
K&N Air Filters
Rays Master Piece REM 20" Forged wheels w/ Conti Extreme DWS
Old 07-20-2010, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci convertible
BMW of Athens GA

I purchased my car from a dealership about 4 hours away. I searched the BMW certified preowned website to find the color, interior and features I wanted. When I found multiple cars that fit my requirements, I played the dealerships against each other to get the best price. After a bit of negotiation, I paid a $500 deposit on the car with a credit card over the phone. I went to the dealership and drove the car, looked at what the previous owner (a lease) had done maintainence wise, and completed the purchase. The car was in perfect condition, 2 year warranty and they threw in a "free" BMW hat. Yes, I'm easily amused.

The only thing I would do differently now is insist on a new battery with the deal - and come to think of it a windscreen.

I will always buy CPO BMW from now on. Remember - you do have to work them on price a bit. Some dealerships are asking 20% more than another for the exact same car, so shop the CPO website.

Also, your local dealership will "trade" CPO stock with another dealer to get the sale. This might be a better way to go because they will bring the car to you. You can walk on the deal if the car shows up and is not as described.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Nerdy G

Send a message via AIM to Bk650
Mein Auto: 650i
Lol i got a keychain

650i on 22's Asanti, mtec v3 angel eyes, Custom exhaust...

2000 GS300 heavily modded gone but never forgotten
1998 LS400 Daily driver
2005 Range Rover HSE (family car) Lost in Divorce
Old 07-20-2010, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650i
I flew down to Virginia and bought mine at a BMW dealership. Took 2 of my kids with me and made a roadtrip out of it and had a blast. I gave a deposit over the phone and made it clear that if I wasn't happy with their description or ifa anything was wrong I would walk. It was just as they described and had no issues. Of course it is still under warrany and maintenance so that takes away a lot of fear...

If you can't check it out locally then I would really recommend that you purchase only from a real BMW dealer. Also, you could ask someone here to check out a car for you - I have done that before and typically the enthusiasts on a site like this know exactly what to look for -- but, you do take your chances.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:11 PM

wow thanks for all the fast replies, and yes I have looked at the houston dealership where they have one for about 52000 that im very interested in. I am looking preferably for an 08 for around the low 50s so it limits my choices as most of them appear to be upper 50s to low 60s. And most of the 50s are in california. but whitedesigns what do you mean by trading stock? that concept seemed interesting.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Flew to Chicago to get my first 645 and then drove to Maryland to get the CPO I currently have now. Personally I like to touch and feel before I buy. I think if you are buying a CPO from a dealship, you can feel a little bit better about the purchase since they will have to back it up plus you have a head office (BMWNA) that will help you sort out any issues out as well. If you are buying from an Indy, then you may want to go and test drive the car. Either way, its a chance but at least one way gives you a little bit more peace of mind than the other.
-Paul
Old 07-20-2010, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: E63
Me and the lady drove from Wichita to Houston in a rental, could have flown for around the same price, but I wanted to enjoy OKC for a night. We drove their picked up the 6; ate some great food at Grand Lux Cafe, which was recommended by the sales manager of the dealership. Stayed overnight in a hotel, and drove back the next day. I think even if I were to ever have a car shipped; I'd fly to look at it in person and test drive it, and have to fly back, and have it shipped after checking out.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci convertible
The Asheville dealer offered to trade stock to get it to me, but I was too impatient and drove down to Athens.

The sales manager told me that they do this from time to time, basically giving the other dealership a CPO of equal value in trade for the car I wanted. The dealer absorbs the cost of transporting the vehicle to get your business.

BMW of Asheville offered this up to sell me a car - since they didn't have what I wanted. I bet most BMW dealerships will do it as well.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650i
Quote:
wow thanks for all the fast replies, and yes I have looked at the houston dealership where they have one for about 52000 that im very interested in. I am looking preferably for an 08 for around the low 50s so it limits my choices as most of them appear to be upper 50s to low 60s. .
If you can stand it wait a few months -- as summer turns into fall I think you will see prices coming down as very few of these cars sell over the winter - and no BMW dealer want to carry the car through the winter...
Old 07-20-2010, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: F-150
Quote:
I would never buy a car that I have not gone and seen...
Old 07-20-2010, 11:02 PM

Mein Auto: RR Sport SC, GL450
i bought my amg in north conneticut about 5 hours away. saw it online, drove over there, test drove, paid, and drove home with it

2012 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes GL450

2010 Sea Doo RXT-X 260 HP SC

2006 Black Sapphire Metallic 650i 6MT SOLD

2008 White Diamond Tricoat Cadillac Escalade SOLD
Old 07-21-2010, 05:48 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Laslonimne
Mein Auto: 650i Cabriolet
I purchased my CPO in San Diego. I flew out there, the dealer picked me up at the airport, I determined the car was as-advertised, gave the man a check, and drove off. The drive back to Oklahoma was a great way to get to know the car.

The 650 is the second car I've purchased from an internet ad - in both cases the seller honestly represented the car. I still would not buy a car sight-unseen and not driven by me prior to purchase. But be aware that if you take delivery of a used car in California you're liable for a substantial sales tax - unless you find a dealer willing to work with you to avoid it - and they are few and far between.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 08 650i
Bought mine from a dealer several states away, and did so only from pictures and discussions with the dealer. As the drive back was ~900 miles, it was a great way to reach the BMW recommended break-in period of 1250 miles in less than a week, where I never punched it, never exceeded 4500 rpm, never exceeded 100 mph, and had to conscientiously vary speed throughout, before I started the real fun this puppy is meant for ...

Space Gray : Black Pearl w/Nasca Leather Dash : Dark Birch : Steptronic w/Paddles : Sport Pack
Comfort Access : Cold Weather : Lane Departure : HUD : HD Radio : SAT : Premium Sound
Old 07-21-2010, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i Convertible
I live in South Florida. I found mine in Atlanta. It was a car in the middle of the CPO process. once finished i asked for the signed of CPO checklist and for the salesman to take pics with his iphone and send them to me immediately along with the service history.
Cars that go through CPO are essentially as good as it gets. I then paid cash and had them send it to me on a flatbed. Took a couple of days. Car was perfect when it arrived. This is the second time i have bought a car without being in person and both times it worked out great.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Greg

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci convertible
I live just outside of Memphis TN. Was going to visit my son while he was at Ft. Rucker in Alabama and drove by a Chevy dealership that had a 645 convertible. Talked to the salesman...he didn't know anything about the car except it was the personal car of the dealership owner and that it had a CPO warranty. The owner was out of town so I called him 2 days later and worked out a trade over the phone. Took the VIN to my local BMW dealer and looked at the service records and verified the CPO warranty was in place. Drove back to Alabama and traded cars....really enjoyed that 6 hr drive back home. As others have suggested, don't buy unless you can personally look at and drive the car. Roadtrips are a great way to enjoy driving your new car.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:52 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys, I think I am going to take you guys advice and go ahead and travel out to Texas to get mine even though its quite a drive. Now im faced with whether to get one now or to wait till the 2011s come out since they are supposed to be so different...hmm haha
Old 07-24-2010, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 07 M6, 09 X6, 06 X3
If your car is at BMW Woodlands, ask for Tony Sebastian. I got my CPO M6 from him and he was easy to work with and willing to negotiate. I live in Dallas and drove down with the same reservations that many others have expressed above. This dealership was great - highly recommended.

2007 BMW M6
2009 X6 xDrive 50i
2006 BMW X3 3.0i
Previous BMWs:
- 2004 645 CiC
- 2001 545i
Old 07-24-2010, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: E63
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies guys, I think I am going to take you guys advice and go ahead and travel out to Texas to get mine even though its quite a drive. Now im faced with whether to get one now or to wait till the 2011s come out since they are supposed to be so different...hmm haha
Wait to the 11's that way you can make a decision on which one you like more; and if you like the style of the e63/64 more, you can definately talk them down
Old 07-24-2010, 10:13 AM

thanks mr drug and yes I will be going over there for the bmw, I do not know whether or not I should try to negotiate a lower price as I think the price is already pretty decent for the car, but if I could knock it down a few thousand that would definitely be nice.