Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-24-2010, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: Infiniti M
Advice on buying new 535i

I'm planning to replace my 2006 Infiniti M45 (which has been a wonderful car). I've looked at the new Infiniti M, the MB 350 and the BMW 535i and really like the BMW. I've only owned one BMW--bought a new 320i in the 1980's--and had so much trouble with it and such bad service from the dealer and from BMW that I swore never to buy another BMW. The car had serious problems and every warranty repair was a fight, while Infiniti and MB have fixed things with no questions asked. When I look at Consumer Reports frequency of repair records, the 528 and 550 are average but the 535 is much worse than average. These two things--my bad experience many years ago and the bad rating of the 535 by CR--make me a little hesitant, as much as I like the car. Can anyone offer some input? For you 535 owners, have you experienced problems with the engine, fuel system or anything else?

I really want to order the BMW but I hate having to deal with car problems. Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
I think it's too new to make a determination on reliability.

If you go to the last generation, everyone I know with a 535i has been pleased. But this is a small sample size, as will the information you find on the forums.

(I find that only really happy and really pissed off people provide their opinions)
Old 07-24-2010, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 06 750i
I agree with Lindros2.....blogs are usually not a "middle-of-the-road" sampling. For example...you can get a migraine regarding the pros and cons in the "run flat tire" thread.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Most of the reliability issues associated with the 535i (E60) were probably related to the HPFP. While it's too early to say, but I'm really liking this car so far. Like everything in life, it's all relative. Let's say you're looking at the 5 series, well then you are probably doing what I was doing, cross shopping...reasonable options in the same class are:
Mercedes E 350 - Weak engine, odd styling, 60k and no leather, new DI engine on the way next year?
Audi A6 3.0T- New model on the horizon, I do like the engine, car's shape looks a little too egg like.
Acura RL -U.G.L.Y., you aint got no alibi, like most hondas, no low end torque. In terms of engines, lawnmowers are not synonymous with cars....
Jaguar XF - You think Bimmers need lots of maintenance, you aint seen nothin yet. bankrupt more times then Larry King has ex-wives, sold to Ford, sold to Tata. Reliability history of a Ukranian built IPhone. However, I do like the styling.
Infiniti M - I like the way these look, try one out. I thought the ride was super harsh, but that's my taste.
Lexus GS - Way too soft, surprised at the quality issues with Lexus. A lot of owners complain about a rattle in the dash on the new GS, that they can't figure out.
American cars - No disrespect, but I'll pass.

When you break it down like this, it makes the f10 really stand out.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535I
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
Most of the reliability issues associated with the 535i (E60) were probably related to the HPFP. While it's too early to say, but I'm really liking this car so far. Like everything in life, it's all relative. Let's say you're looking at the 5 series, well then you are probably doing what I was doing, cross shopping...reasonable options in the same class are:
Mercedes E 350 - Weak engine, odd styling, 60k and no leather, new DI engine on the way next year?
Audi A6 3.0T- New model on the horizon, I do like the engine, car's shape looks a little too egg like.
Acura RL -U.G.L.Y., you aint got no alibi, like most hondas, no low end torque. In terms of engines, lawnmowers are not synonymous with cars....
Jaguar XF - You think Bimmers need lots of maintenance, you aint seen nothin yet. bankrupt more times then Larry King has ex-wives, sold to Ford, sold to Tata. Reliability history of a Ukranian built IPhone. However, I do like the styling.
Infiniti M - I like the way these look, try one out. I thought the ride was super harsh, but that's my taste.
Lexus GS - Way too soft, surprised at the quality issues with Lexus. A lot of owners complain about a rattle in the dash on the new GS, that they can't figure out.
American cars - No disrespect, but I'll pass.

When you break it down like this, it makes the f10 really stand out.
I agree with above.

If you want reliability then stick with Japanese cars. However to me they are boring and have no passion. Our family vehicle has always been a honda, toyota or Mazda.
If you want a car that you just want to drive, enjoy driving, gives you that fuzzy feeling inside when you drive it then stick to BMWs.

I have found MB's to always be to "old man" for me except the amg versions and they just cost to much. With Audi, they have the best interior layout's however the exterior is way to boring and It does not look like a $50k + car ( the a6 that is).. The R8 of couse is an exception and in a class of its own.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
If you want the more reliable engine, try the non-turbo 528i. It should provide enough power for most folks' uses and seems to be largely immune from the fuel pump issues that plague some folks in the US.

Just to throw an American car out there: Try the Buick Regal that just came out. Well, actually wait for the 2,0 litre turbo-4 cylinder. The first years' worth of Regals are made in Rüsselheim, Germany because it's based heavily on the superb Opel Insignia.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i Sport
The new F10's are really hot. However, I would personally go with the F10 528i or 550i to avoid any possible issues with the now single turbo 535i.