Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-24-2010, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5
Question X5 central locking problem

The central locking in my daughter's 2001 X5 is not working (for the most part).

- Using a manual key in the driver's door lock, key turns freely but nothing happens.

- Pressing on the lock/unlock button in the center console does nothing.

- Pressing on the unlock button for the rear upper hatch does work, so does pressing on the
button to unlock the tail gate.

- inner door handles work OK on front driver and passenger doors when locked or unlocked.

- inner door handles do not work on rear driver side or rear passenger side doors (locked).

- green light goes on/off on child safety switch on driver's door.

- central locking system fuses test OK; #20, #24, #60 in glove box.

Any diagnostic tips will be appreciated; trying to avoid a dealer$hip visit...

Thanks,
- Bob
Ads by Google
Old 07-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 X5, 1996 328is
Locks

First off it sounds like there may be more than one issue.

Drivers side door:
- Does the door handle on the outside open the door when they door is unlocked(button up)
If not it may be the door handle carrier may be broken.

Button on console:
- Sounds like the central lock button needs replaced. I had to have mine replaced few weeks after i bought it. The Part was 61-31-8-368-920.

Rear door:
- Are the child locks on the side of the door engaged?

Let us know what you find and im sure other people here have seen similar issues.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:12 PM

central lock button

Thanks for the reply.

> Drivers side door:
> - Does the door handle on the outside open the door when they door is unlocked(button up)
> If not it may be the door handle carrier may be broken.

The driver's and passenger's door can both be opened from the outside when unlocked.

> Button on console:
> - Sounds like the central lock button needs replaced. I had to have mine replaced few weeks after i bought it. The Part was 61-31-8-368-920.

What were the symptoms?

How difficult/expensive was it to have the switch replaced?

> Rear door:
> - Are the child locks on the side of the door engaged?

I don't think the child-safety locks are engaged on either rear door and the rear doors can't be opened from the outside or the inside.

- Bob
Old 07-25-2010, 05:55 AM

I would try the button

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...35&hg=61&fg=35

Part # 1

From what I read unless there is other issues going on in your vechicle, its gonna be the switch or the GM module that controls the door locks
Old 07-25-2010, 05:57 AM

Oh the button was around $70 to have installed part and labor. I had it replaced when I had the shop look over my x5 when i first bought it
Old 07-25-2010, 11:05 AM

Hopefully, replacing the central lock button will do it.

The dash button that unlocks the rear hatch works (but it can't be opened from the outside).

Thanks!
- Bob
Old 07-31-2010, 04:25 PM

Smile Fixed!

Found a great BMW / Mini-Cooper shop in Oakland - Bay Bridge Motors.

The door lock cylinder was bad: turning the key did not turn the shaft on the other side.

Took a few days to get a new lock cylinder (keyed the same) - now everything central locking-wise works!

1 hour labor + part => $202.

- Bob
Old 06-02-2011, 10:37 AM

X5 same problem

Hi Bob, I have exactly the same problem with my X5... Did you find a fix?
Thanks, Jenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001x5440 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

> Drivers side door:
> - Does the door handle on the outside open the door when they door is unlocked(button up)
> If not it may be the door handle carrier may be broken.

The driver's and passenger's door can both be opened from the outside when unlocked.

> Button on console:
> - Sounds like the central lock button needs replaced. I had to have mine replaced few weeks after i bought it. The Part was 61-31-8-368-920.

What were the symptoms?

How difficult/expensive was it to have the switch replaced?

> Rear door:
> - Are the child locks on the side of the door engaged?

I don't think the child-safety locks are engaged on either rear door and the rear doors can't be opened from the outside or the inside.

- Bob
Old 06-02-2011, 12:23 PM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjencherie View Post
Hi Bob, I have exactly the same problem with my X5... Did you find a fix?
Thanks, Jenny
Jenny-

Odds are the central locking switch housing is broken. It's a poor design and the little tabs on the bottom break off and the switch wont stay together. It can be repaired with superglue; a new switch is about $50.

This is a common problem on the E46 (3-series) and the E53 (X5).

Do your 4-way/hazard flashers still work? If not, this is almost certainly your problem - same switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:17 PM

X5 same problem

Thanks Scott, I will check into this.
It all started out as all 4 doors wouldn't unlock. None of the malfunction operations would work to unlock it. We managed to wedge the pax door open (at top) and lifted the handles from the inside (didnt work) and pushed the unlock button between the seats (made a locking sound then stopped responding to being pushed). We then made a curved rod with the valet key taped to it. We put the key in the ignition and turned it on. We rolled down the windows and the doors unlocked in the front only.
Currently-
1. the front 2 doors will open and close, but not lock
2. the back 2 doors are stuck locked
3. the key remote will not work.
4. the push button lock between the 2 seats does not respond
5. the back trunk (top piece) does not open from the back, but will open from the push button in the dash
6. the back tail gate piece does work from the back.
7. the gas tank will not open
8. the hazardes DO work along with all dome lights, wipers and windows

Is it the central locking system or the GM5 thing???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP View Post
Jenny-

Odds are the central locking switch housing is broken. It's a poor design and the little tabs on the bottom break off and the switch wont stay together. It can be repaired with superglue; a new switch is about $50.

This is a common problem on the E46 (3-series) and the E53 (X5).

Do your 4-way/hazard flashers still work? If not, this is almost certainly your problem - same switch.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
The rule of thumbs(with caveat offcourse):
1) if the operating rod(the black plastic thingy that goes up and down) works but door can't be opened from inside, it's the door-actuator(#1) that's broken; $250 part at dealer

2)if the door can't be open from outside (assuming child lock is not enggaged) it's the door-carrier(#13) that is broken; $110 part.

3) central locking problem would indicate all doors/trunks will be in-operable, IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E53_door.png
Views:	580
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	280555  

Last edited by HPIA4v2; 06-03-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:46 AM
We want the Lion!

If the hazards work, it's not the central locking switch.

How old is the battery? I'd jump it with another vehicle (terminals under the hood).
See if the locks are still flaky. These cars exhibit all sorts of weird gremlins when the battery is weak/dying.

If that doesnt change anything; you likely have some issue with a module somewhere.

Quote:
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:34 PM

central locking system

Hi Scott. the battery is working well and now the wipers stopped working. I dont think it is an actuator, as it is all doors. they are basically dead. Does this have the GM 3 module? Its a 2001 X5 3.0. Is it located in the door or behind the glovebox?
Thanks for your time
Old 06-04-2011, 01:47 PM

The interrior lights work
Old 06-06-2011, 08:51 AM
We want the Lion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjencherie View Post
Hi Scott. the battery is working well and now the wipers stopped working. I dont think it is an actuator, as it is all doors. they are basically dead. Does this have the GM 3 module? Its a 2001 X5 3.0. Is it located in the door or behind the glovebox?
Thanks for your time
Dunno about the module, never had one go bad.

Wiper issues are common; check the 3 bolts that connect the wiper motor to the linkage. The front bolt loosens and prevents them from working. Tighten all three and they'll prob work fine.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-07-2011, 02:17 AM

Mein Auto: owner 2001 X5 4.4 200km
Gremlins isn't the word for it... I don't know but I've had all sorts of electrical "gremlins" from the hazards just flashing and not turning off, a brake light and parking lights on for no reason but to kill my battery, key lost program for no reason what so ever, battery dies in two days if i don't drive, some lights leads only give me 2 to 4 dcV and i get 12 from the others, my brights wont turn on the blue light on the dash wont turn on(did the dash test indicator is there), abs,brake and another light wont turn off (just had brakes done, light wasn't there before),

I LOVE MY BMW and take very good care of my x5 2001 4.4 113,420mi... I have endured most problems but the electrical and getting locked out mishaps have my seconded guessing my BMW