Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-17-2015, 06:40 AM
handypfb handypfb is offline
Registered User
Location: Huntington,NY
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Silver Convert
Synth etic Oil Brand

My 2004 330ci with only 32,000 miles has only been serviced at the dealer. Till now. I can and have serviced my other cars for many years, but now want to service the minor requirements myself (oil & filter change). QUESTION: What brand of 5W-30 Synthetic oil can I use, or Must I go to the dealer to get the BMW brand of LongLife-1 oil?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 12-17-2015, 07:36 AM
Autoputzer Autoputzer is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Floriduh
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,676
Mein Auto: 535i
A lot of oils meet BMW LL01. Your car likely doesn't require BMW LL01, but it's the good stuff. Here's a comparison of BMW LL01 to the ACEA spec's.

The easiest answer is Mobil 1 0W-40, available at Walmart. It meets BMW LL01. But, the other Mobil 1's don't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151018 a3b3 vs a3b4 vs bmw LL01.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	542657  
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-17-2015, 07:47 AM
cvx5832 cvx5832 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 996
Mein Auto: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by handypfb View Post
My 2004 330ci with only 32,000 miles has only been serviced at the dealer. Till now. I can and have serviced my other cars for many years, but now want to service the minor requirements myself (oil & filter change). QUESTION: What brand of 5W-30 Synthetic oil can I use, or Must I go to the dealer to get the BMW brand of LongLife-1 oil?
You have at least a couple LL-01 choices at Walmart.
__________________






Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-17-2015, 12:24 PM
STS42 STS42 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: boston
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 144
Mein Auto: 2005 330 cic
Look at your oil cap, it probably says castrol, doesn't mean you have to use it, but that's what was recommended at the time it was built and who they had a marketing agreement with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil cap.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	542700  
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-17-2015, 02:15 PM
OlgaMPM OlgaMPM is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 227
Mein Auto: E46
Anything LL01. If not at least ACEA A3, B3. Definitely NOT an ACEA A1 spec oil.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-17-2015, 06:51 PM
jvr826's Avatar
jvr826 jvr826 is offline
Is it Trackday yet?
Location: In the woods. Santa Cruz County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 8,976
Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007G7PUMS

There's a coupon you can clip for $10 off a 6-pack. This is known as "German Castrol" aka "GC" on the forums and is purported to be the same oil you'll get from a BMW dealership. I've been using it for a long time. I buy 10-packs of filters and stock up on GC from Amazon.

Here's a good value also...
http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...egoryID=103121

Scroll down for the non-M oil change kit which includes a filter kit and 7 qts of BMW 5w30 Synthetic, shipping included.
__________________
Jeff R.
Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA - Autocross - Come Join Us!


"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-17-2015, 09:43 PM
MoparJim MoparJim is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fresno, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 500
Mein Auto: 1967 Barracuda convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
Here's a good value also...
http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...egoryID=103121

Scroll down for the non-M oil change kit which includes a filter kit and 7 qts of BMW 5w30 Synthetic, shipping included.
For another $5 I can take the coupon that the local dealer has sent me and get them to do the oil change and some sort of up-sell inspection...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-21-2015, 10:22 AM
jvr826's Avatar
jvr826 jvr826 is offline
Is it Trackday yet?
Location: In the woods. Santa Cruz County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 8,976
Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparJim View Post
For another $5 I can take the coupon that the local dealer has sent me and get them to do the oil change and some sort of up-sell inspection...
I'd pay an extra $5 to stay home and DIM.
__________________
Jeff R.
Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA - Autocross - Come Join Us!


"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-21-2015, 10:48 AM
MoparJim MoparJim is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fresno, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 500
Mein Auto: 1967 Barracuda convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
I'd pay an extra $5 to stay home and DIM.
Yeah, I go back and forth on it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-22-2015, 09:30 AM
TischerBMW's Avatar
TischerBMW TischerBMW is offline
Your #1 BMW Part Source
Location: Silver Spring, MD
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 501
Send a message via AIM to TischerBMW
Mein Auto: BMW
We offer complete, model-specific oil change kits with Genuine BMW filters and oil on special here with Free US Ground Shipping!!

__________________
Evan Winstead
Internet Parts Manager, getBMWparts.com

Email getHelp@getBMWparts.com AIM: Evan at Tischer
Follow us on: FaceBook | Twitter
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-14-2016, 09:59 PM
MoparJim MoparJim is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fresno, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 500
Mein Auto: 1967 Barracuda convert
Picked up the filter today, but still looking at oil. My owner's manual indicates 5-30 or 5-40. Why does the WIKI and this thread indicate 0-30 for some brands and not others? This is for a daily driven 2004 330Ci. Our lowest common temps are around 30F with highest highs temp a little above 100F. I'll probably find myself at WalMart this weekend for the oil. With about 6,500 miles left on the oil change counter I'll probably just let it go and change the oil again when it gets close to 0.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-14-2016, 11:18 PM
OlgaMPM OlgaMPM is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 227
Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparJim View Post
Picked up the filter today, but still looking at oil. My owner's manual indicates 5-30 or 5-40. Why does the WIKI and this thread indicate 0-30 for some brands and not others? This is for a daily driven 2004 330Ci. Our lowest common temps are around 30F with highest highs temp a little above 100F. I'll probably find myself at WalMart this weekend for the oil. With about 6,500 miles left on the oil change counter I'll probably just let it go and change the oil again when it gets close to 0.
Because like most people you don't understand oil basics. Viscosity on the bottle/jug is irrelevant, it's the spec it meets that is. The oil needs to have a viscosity of approx 12.0 cSt @ 100C and a HTHS of at least 3.5. Most people have no way of selecting an oil that meets these specs so BMW and the oil companies came up with LL01. If it doesn't meet LL01 it at least needs to meet ACEA A3, B3. Most XW30's only meet ACEA A1 which are too thin and HTHS way to low. In a nutshell any LL01 oil is all you need, brand is irrelevant.

Last edited by OlgaMPM; 01-14-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-14-2016, 11:27 PM
07 E63650i's Avatar
07 E63650i 07 E63650i is online now
Freude am Fahren
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,191
Mein Auto: BMW E63 650i
OP, just use any LL-01 approved oil.

Some examples are:

Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula

Castrol Edge with SPT 0W-30 or 0W-40(Made in Germany)

Liqui-Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40
__________________
Once a 6'er, always a 6'er.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-15-2016, 07:11 AM
Autoputzer Autoputzer is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Floriduh
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,676
Mein Auto: 535i
Ruh-row.

I clicked on the link in the Tischer BMW post above, and started surfing through the various kits for various models. From that, it looks like 2016 models require different oil spec's and viscosities:

BMW LL14FE+ (SAE 0W-20 viscosity) for the four-cylinder cars

BMW LL01FE (SAE 0W-30 viscosity) for the six-cylinder and eight-cylinder cars.

Frau Putzer's Honda Accord V6 uses 5W-20 oil, and I've been using Mobil 1 in it since the first oil change at 8k miles. At cold start-up, there's a clunk (one clunk... one clunk only) as the engine gets going. It's not there if the engine's warm. It's been doing this since the car was new, and it hasn't become worse. My theory is that oil had drained out of the bearings and the single clunk is on the connecting rod bearing of the cylinder under compression. The car now has 124k miles of Frau Putzer's abuse, and it's still running fine. It burns a quart of oil in about 6k miles, so I have to add about 1/4 of a quart before the 8k mile oil change. That started around 110k miles. It's burning less oil than her Civic 1.6 liter did at 80k miles, which didn't start getting synthetic until Fraulein Jones became Frau Putzer at about 30k miles.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-15-2016, 07:27 AM
marcozandrini marcozandrini is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,019
Mein Auto:
I use a mixture of Mobil 1 0W-20 and 0W-30 in the wife's 2004 Accord. At a change I first put two quarts of the 0W-30 into the engine and finish with the 0W-20. Why? Mobil 1oils are a bit thin compared to other oils. For example, I use M1 0W-40 in my 330Ci while the stuff from the dealer is a 0W-30. The two oils have very similar viscosity values at normal operating temps.

Remember, oil viscosity is measured the same way by all manufacturers. But, a viscosity of "40" is really a range of viscosity levels. M1 0W-40 is very close to BMW 0W-30 when it comes to viscosity at the upper temperature range.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-15-2016, 07:48 AM
Autoputzer Autoputzer is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NW Floriduh
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,676
Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozandrini View Post
I use a mixture of Mobil 1 0W-20 and 0W-30 in the wife's 2004 Accord. At a change I first put two quarts of the 0W-30 into the engine and finish with the 0W-20. Why? Mobil 1oils are a bit thin compared to other oils. For example, I use M1 0W-40 in my 330Ci while the stuff from the dealer is a 0W-30. The two oils have very similar viscosity values at normal operating temps.

Remember, oil viscosity is measured the same way by all manufacturers. But, a viscosity of "40" is really a range of viscosity levels. M1 0W-40 is very close to BMW 0W-30 when it comes to viscosity at the upper temperature range.
True 'dat.

The SAE rating is really a viscosity index (no units). The "W" rating is the maximum viscosity index at 32F. The non-W rating is the minimum viscosity rating at 212F. This is the best graph I have handy, showing what a 5W-40 oil's viscosity varies with temperature. So, a 5W-40 will have a 32F viscosity between the SAE 0 and SAE 5 lines, and a 212F viscosity between the SAE 40 and SAE 50 lines. If you slid the lines left or right 15F for each 10 points on the SAE index, you'd have a pretty good idea where the other viscosity index lines are.

The SAE indexes for motor oils are 0,5,10,15,20,30,40,50, and 60. (E46 M3's took 10W-60 oil.) Gear oils go up from there. Each 10 points on the SAE viscosity index is roughly equal 15 degrees F. A SAE 40 at 227F will be as viscous as a SAE 30 at 212F.

Like Maro said, the BMW XW-30 oils are above the SAE 30 line, close to the SAE 40 line at 212F.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	graph_3_viscosity_multigrade.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	546247  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 01-15-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-15-2016, 08:50 PM
MoparJim MoparJim is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fresno, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 500
Mein Auto: 1967 Barracuda convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlgaMPM View Post
Because like most people you don't understand oil basics.
This line was WAY OUT OF LINE. I don't need you, or anybody else, with this sort of condescending attitude. The answers that followed your answer were considerably more helpful. For what it's worth, if I really wanted to know everything about oil I'd contact my buddy (PhD in Chemistry) who spent most of his career as a research chemist at Chevron in lubricants.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-15-2016, 08:51 PM
MoparJim MoparJim is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fresno, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 500
Mein Auto: 1967 Barracuda convert
To the others who answered, thanks. The only oil I found at Wally World that fit the bill was the Mobil1 for European cars 0W-40...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-15-2016, 09:15 PM
OlgaMPM OlgaMPM is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 227
Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparJim View Post
This line was WAY OUT OF LINE. I don't need you, or anybody else, with this sort of condescending attitude. The answers that followed your answer were considerably more helpful. For what it's worth, if I really wanted to know everything about oil I'd contact my buddy (PhD in Chemistry) who spent most of his career as a research chemist at Chevron in lubricants.
Get over yourself
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-15-2016, 09:28 PM
MoparJim MoparJim is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fresno, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 500
Mein Auto: 1967 Barracuda convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlgaMPM View Post
Get over yourself
I'd suggest the same...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-15-2016, 09:34 PM
OlgaMPM OlgaMPM is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 227
Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparJim View Post
I'd suggest the same...
You came looking for help and I gave a thorough logical answer. Now you have a problem because I stated the bleeding obvious. Strange people here lately...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-15-2016, 09:44 PM
MoparJim MoparJim is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fresno, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 500
Mein Auto: 1967 Barracuda convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlgaMPM View Post
You came looking for help and I gave a thorough logical answer. Now you have a problem because I stated the bleeding obvious. Strange people here lately...
There you go again. You don't know a thing about me or my automotive background (or the rest of my background for that matter). I won't tolerate condescension, which you seem to have an abundance of. All that was required in an answer was the answer, but you are hell-bent on getting digs in to make yourself seem superior. That is out of line, in ANY situation.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-15-2016, 10:29 PM
OlgaMPM OlgaMPM is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 227
Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparJim View Post
There you go again. You don't know a thing about me or my automotive background (or the rest of my background for that matter). I won't tolerate condescension, which you seem to have an abundance of. All that was required in an answer was the answer, but you are hell-bent on getting digs in to make yourself seem superior. That is out of line, in ANY situation.
You got one thing right, I certainly have a superior knowledge of tribology than you. You're a bit of a baby really, time to grow up a tad!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-04-2016, 12:36 PM
TischerBMW's Avatar
TischerBMW TischerBMW is offline
Your #1 BMW Part Source
Location: Silver Spring, MD
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 501
Send a message via AIM to TischerBMW
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
Ruh-row.

I clicked on the link in the Tischer BMW post above, and started surfing through the various kits for various models. From that, it looks like 2016 models require different oil spec's and viscosities:

BMW LL14FE+ (SAE 0W-20 viscosity) for the four-cylinder cars

BMW LL01FE (SAE 0W-30 viscosity) for the six-cylinder and eight-cylinder cars.

Frau Putzer's Honda Accord V6 uses 5W-20 oil, and I've been using Mobil 1 in it since the first oil change at 8k miles. At cold start-up, there's a clunk (one clunk... one clunk only) as the engine gets going. It's not there if the engine's warm. It's been doing this since the car was new, and it hasn't become worse. My theory is that oil had drained out of the bearings and the single clunk is on the connecting rod bearing of the cylinder under compression. The car now has 124k miles of Frau Putzer's abuse, and it's still running fine. It burns a quart of oil in about 6k miles, so I have to add about 1/4 of a quart before the 8k mile oil change. That started around 110k miles. It's burning less oil than her Civic 1.6 liter did at 80k miles, which didn't start getting synthetic until Fraulein Jones became Frau Putzer at about 30k miles.
BMW has updated their recommended oils for MY2016+ vehicles/engines - we've updated the oil change kits in our specials catalog accordingly.
__________________
Evan Winstead
Internet Parts Manager, getBMWparts.com

Email getHelp@getBMWparts.com AIM: Evan at Tischer
Follow us on: FaceBook | Twitter
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-17-2016, 10:09 AM
dudeZi dudeZi is offline
Registered User
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: E70 50i
i just bought some mobil1 0w40, it no longer have "BMW LL01 approved" printed on the bottle.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms