Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-12-2015, 11:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to Talk2USoon
Mein Auto: 2015 650xi GC M Sport
Tire help, Please?

Hello - I have an E46 2004 330ci convertible that needs new tires. My old ones were Pirellis, but dealer just told me that Pirellis are no longer available in my size. My 2015 650xi has Goodyears. What's the best performance tire? Not looking for long wear (and a lousy ride). TIA for your input - I have to get back to the dealer ASAP. Dealer tried to talk us into continentals, and sorry if this offends anybody, but I thought they looked like crap (even if that's what sold with the cars as dealers states). Had to replace original tires when car was less than 2 years old. That's when we got the Pirellis - should also mention less than 30,000 miles on the 2004 (won't drive it with the top up
2007 550i
2004 330ci vert
I'm a Chicago native living in Nebraska AND on Saint Simons Island, Georgia

Last edited by Talk2USoon; 06-12-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2015, 12:25 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Anybody who would buy tires from a BMW dealer should have their head examined !!!
They will charge you TWICE as much as an online vendor`s price. Look at websites from Tire Rack, Discount Tire, etc. Read their customer reviews to determine what`s best for you. What best fits your personal driving style ? Summer tires ? All-season Performance tires ?

There are a lot of good choices out there, and prices vary widely, so shop wisely....there are brands that will give you excellent bang-for-the-buck, like Hankook....you will get 96-98% of the performance of Michelin or Pirelli at half the price....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 06-12-2015, 04:37 PM

Did you just flame me, Bob? I understand the attitude towards dealership(s) in general but was looking for help in identifying a decent brand name. I appreciate the name that you gave me and will definitely look into that brand. I'm really disappointed that my first choice (Pirellis) are no longer available for my car, but have no qualms with having the dealership order and install them for me. Everyone knows you can get cheaper prices on the 'net but at my age, it's value and service that I'm after.
2007 550i
2004 330ci vert
Old 06-12-2015, 05:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2USoon View Post
Did you just flame me, Bob? I understand the attitude towards dealership(s) in general but was looking for help in identifying a decent brand name. I appreciate the name that you gave me and will definitely look into that brand. I'm really disappointed that my first choice (Pirellis) are no longer available for my car, but have no qualms with having the dealership order and install them for me. Everyone knows you can get cheaper prices on the 'net but at my age, it's value and service that I'm after.
He's not flaming you, he's trying to save you a lot of money. If you don't want to hassle with ordering tires on the net, just go to any tire shop--a BMW dealer will charge you a fortune for work anyone else will do for a lot less. You'll get the same tires and service (one exception: the free coffee is better at the dealer).

2004 330ci w/ sport package, 6 spd manual

Modifications: 3.46 differential, Pedalbox throttle signal amplifier, Active Autowerke performance software, Bilstein HDs
Old 06-12-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
He's not flaming you, he's trying to save you a lot of money. If you don't want to hassle with ordering tires on the net, just go to any tire shop--a BMW dealer will charge you a fortune for work anyone else will do for a lot less. You'll get the same tires and service (one exception: the free coffee is better at the dealer).
I appreciate your comment, John.
My car is presently at the dealer awaiting parts for a recall. I drove in this morning for an oil change appointment and it was determined the tires needed replacing. I appreciate y'all trying to save me the cash$$, and there was a time that would have mattered the most to me, but that time has come and gone. Today, what mattered most is that instead of scrambling for a ride home, I was given a loaner to keep until my car is expected to be ready (5 full days from now). I don't like to drive loaners, even if they are BMW, but with the weather so stormy, I'll take it!
2007 550i
2004 330ci vert
Old 06-13-2015, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto:
Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozandrini View Post
Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Thank you, Marco!
Old 06-13-2015, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: '03 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozandrini View Post
michelin pilot super sports.
+1
'02 325it Orient Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blu/Grey
Old 06-13-2015, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: '03 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Anybody who would buy tires from a BMW dealer should have their head examined !!!
They will charge you TWICE as much as an online vendor`s price. Look at websites from Tire Rack, Discount Tire, etc. Read their customer reviews to determine what`s best for you. What best fits your personal driving style ? Summer tires ? All-season Performance tires ?

There are a lot of good choices out there, and prices vary widely, so shop wisely....there are brands that will give you excellent bang-for-the-buck, like Hankook....you will get 96-98% of the performance of Michelin or Pirelli at half the price....
Ummm, Bob: Anybody who also drives a current year BMW 650xi GC (in OP's "mein auto") probably isn't too price-sensitive on tires. Just sayin. . .
'02 325it Orient Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blu/Grey
Old 06-13-2015, 07:02 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRIT View Post
Ummm, Bob: Anybody who also drives a current year BMW 650xi GC (in OP's "mein auto") probably isn't too price-sensitive on tires. Just sayin. . .
I don`t care HOW much money he has....in this day and age, I don`t know anybody who would willingly flush a thousand bucks down the toilet....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 06-13-2015, 07:43 PM

No worries, Bob. I didn't accept the continental tires the dealer (STRONGLY) offered and no one's taking me to the cleaners UNLESS it's to pick up my husband's freshly laundered shirts.
I got a kick out of you thinking I was male. No. Flattered was more like it.
Have a great rest of your weekend!
2007 550i
2004 330ci vert
Old 06-13-2015, 08:00 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2USoon View Post
No worries, Bob. I didn't accept the continental tires the dealer (STRONGLY) offered and no one's taking me to the cleaners UNLESS it's to pick up my husband's freshly laundered shirts.
I got a kick out of you thinking I was male. No. Flattered was more like it.
Have a great rest of your weekend!
No....gender is irrelevant. I saw by your post count that you were new around these parts, and just wanted to make sure you were not being taken advantage of by unscrupulous dealers....it happens all too often.

In any event, it pays to shop around....good and bad deals are found everywhere !

Happy Motoring !

(P.S.: Nice sig photo )

Old 06-16-2015, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330 cic
I have a 2005 zhp convertible and am on my second set of BF Goodrich summer tires with a staggered setup. I have the BFG KDW's which have been replaced by the BFG G Force sport. I like the BFG's alot and would probably pick the Michelin PSS's second.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:21 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by STS42 View Post
I have a 2005 zhp convertible and am on my second set of BF Goodrich summer tires with a staggered setup. I have the BFG KDW's which have been replaced by the BFG G Force sport. I like the BFG's alot and would probably pick the Michelin PSS's second.
I`ve had several sets of BFGs on my Bimmers since the first-gen Comp T/As hit the market 30 years ago. Had KDWs on my E39, they were excellent in all regards. IMHO, BFG is one of the most under-rated tires out there....

Old 06-16-2015, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: '04 325ci
Do you have a Costco membership? You can order Michelin Pilot Super Sports through them. Great deal. Great tire. You won't be disappointed, assuming this is a summer-only tire. I have about 10,00 miles on mine, and they've been great. Please, take a few minutes to shop around, and I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much you'll save over buying from the dealership. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci 5-Spd
Hands down Michelin Pilot Super Sport. If money is a concern then BFG, Yokos, or Hankook Ventus.
Old Today, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: e46 325ci & e53 X5 prem
Decades in tire business and an aggressive driver and I agree on above recommendations except the hankook ventus. You will be disappointed. Rotate your tires every 3,000 miles it will pay dividends
Old Today, 11:04 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerpsr View Post
Decades in tire business and an aggressive driver and I agree on above recommendations except the hankook ventus. You will be disappointed.
Thousands of enthusiasts will disagree with your opinion....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerpsr View Post
Rotate your tires every 3,000 miles it will pay dividends
Does not apply to cars with a staggered fitment....