Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-22-2016, 05:15 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
Recalibrating OBC MPG calcuations?

I've tried searching various terms in the E46 section (and on E46Fanatics), but have been unable to find an answer to this question.

See... with my supercharger, my car constantly reads that I'm achieving 40 MPG on the highway, when it's really more like 27 or 28 MPG. I know this is a really nit-picky thing to address, but I'd like to be able to swap over to my average MPG or DTE and get a more accurate reading.

Any help is appreciated!

To the tune of "ABC" by the Jackson Five:

It's wrong on the OBC.
Miscalcuated MPG.
And DTE.
Bimmer, get it right, car!

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 12-22-2016 at 05:18 AM.
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2016, 08:40 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2002 330i ZSP
You drive a really fast, really nice ZHP and all you can do is whine about your MPGs! Let me help you, when the gas gauge gets to "E", put more gas in it. Now go be a man!

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 12-22-2016, 09:58 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
You drive a really fast, really nice ZHP and all you can do is whine about your MPGs! Let me help you, when the gas gauge gets to "E", put more gas in it. Now go be a man!
Old 12-22-2016, 10:58 AM
TheMalibuMafia

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & JB4+ 335i
Quote:
Pretty much.

I didn't buy my cars for MPG lol.

TheMalibuMafia.com

BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
BMW 2007 335i. Single Turbo 6266.
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool - SOLD
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 12-23-2016, 05:02 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

I don't rightly care what MPG it gets. I already know that little statistic: 20 MPG average (which is worth it when E92 M3's are left scratching their heads ).

I just want my gauge to be more accurate. I know on the E36 Z3, there's a way to go into the OBC hidden menus and change it. It may be something that requires NCS Expert or whatever software.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:19 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
I don't rightly care what MPG it gets. I already know that little statistic: 20 MPG average (which is worth it when E92 M3's are left scratching their heads ).

I just want my gauge to be more accurate. I know on the E36 Z3, there's a way to go into the OBC hidden menus and change it. It may be something that requires NCS Expert or whatever software.
I got 22.3 MPG's on Tuesday when I went to Jackson MS. The rental lady hooked me up with a 2016 Dodge Charger Scat Pack Edition with the 392 (490HP) hemi. It was so fast it is hard to believe the fuel economy.

How fast? Well, put it this way, a truck was blocking me so when I pulled around him to finally pass him I was doing 65mph, I floored it and when I got to the front of the truck I was doing 95mph.

It sounded amazing, and for an automatic, had really fast ans crisp gear changes. But did I worry about MPG's? No. Just worried how long I could spin the tires on on ramps!

Quote:
Old 12-23-2016, 06:56 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Quote:
I got 22.3 MPG's on Tuesday when I went to Jackson MS. The rental lady hooked me up with a 2016 Dodge Charger Scat Pack Edition with the 392 (490HP) hemi. It was so fast it is hard to believe the fuel economy.

How fast? Well, put it this way, a truck was blocking me so when I pulled around him to finally pass him I was doing 65mph, I floored it and when I got to the front of the truck I was doing 95mph.

It sounded amazing, and for an automatic, had really fast ans crisp gear changes. But did I worry about MPG's? No. Just worried how long I could spin the tires on on ramps!
I've always wanted to race one of those.

4,400 lb. curb weight with 485 HP comes out to 9.07 lbs. per HP.

Considering my car has some minor weight reduction, I'm going to say it's safe to say my curb weight is somewhere in the 3,200 lb. range (stock coupes are 3,285 lbs. from what I've read). Assuming the car makes 375 BHP like ESS says it would, that would put me at 8.53 lbs. per HP.

9.07 vs 8.53.

When will you be renting one again?
Old 12-23-2016, 07:34 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
I've always wanted to race one of those.

4,400 lb. curb weight with 485 HP comes out to 9.07 lbs. per HP.

Considering my car has some minor weight reduction, I'm going to say it's safe to say my curb weight is somewhere in the 3,200 lb. range (stock coupes are 3,285 lbs. from what I've read). Assuming the car makes 375 BHP like ESS says it would, that would put me at 8.53 lbs. per HP.

9.07 vs 8.53.

When will you be renting one again?
Hate to burst your bubble, I've ridden in yours and I drove that beast for 9 hours. You'd get killed. Its one level down from a Hellcat. HP is one part, the torque of a 392 Hemi would make quick work of your 3.0 Bummer. Sorry.

Quote:
Old 12-23-2016, 09:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 IR 330ci zhp
Quote:
I've tried searching various terms in the E46 section (and on E46Fanatics), but have been unable to find an answer to this question.

See... with my supercharger, my car constantly reads that I'm achieving 40 MPG on the highway, when it's really more like 27 or 28 MPG. I know this is a really nit-picky thing to address, but I'd like to be able to swap over to my average MPG or DTE and get a more accurate reading.

Any help is appreciated!
So, when you are running low on fuel, does the OBC say you still have more miles to go than you actually do?

What does the little vacuum gauge/mpg meter show when cruising on the highway?
Old 12-28-2016, 05:24 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Double post. Sorry.

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 12-28-2016 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:35 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Quote:
Hate to burst your bubble, I've ridden in yours and I drove that beast for 9 hours. You'd get killed. Its one level down from a Hellcat. HP is one part, the torque of a 392 Hemi would make quick work of your 3.0 Bummer. Sorry.
I'm still good for burning some gas.

I ran into a Mustang 5.0 this past Friday night and thought, "Man... that car sounds so good." When I got behind him at a red light, I heard that distinct loping of some aggressive cams and simply concluded that this was not going to end well. I was correct. Cams on a 5.0 make a very significant difference on those Coyote motors.

Later that night, I ended up going against a 2010 Mustang GT (last year of the 4.6L) which had some bolt-on goodies. It was dead nuts even. He was ecstatic, I was saddened.

Then I remembered how much more fun it is to flog my car around twisty roads than a Mustang with a solid live rear axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
So, when you are running low on fuel, does the OBC say you still have more miles to go than you actually do?

What does the little vacuum gauge/mpg meter show when cruising on the highway?
The DTE (Distance To Empty) estimate drops quickly as the tank level drops. If I'm not mistaken, the DTE is calculated by what the OBC reads as average MPG and current fuel level. On a fresh tank of gas, the DTE reads at 400+ miles, but I typically get 300 miles per tank.

I know there's some way to change a setting in the computer so it will read more accurately, but I don't know how to access it in the E46. I've found a post regarding the Z3, but that's an entirely different software set.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search