Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-22-2014, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quick Starter Wiring Question

I added a picture to my post.

First, I will say that I wired it exactly like the old starter, because it was identical. I say that, because I have read online that the new Bosch starters have four posts instead of three which implies that my 2001 BMW 330ci should have three posts.

I got his idea from this:
http://www.bmpdesign.com/images/tech...al/SR9506X.jpg

1) Is this correct? (Asking so I understand what's right and what's wrong).
2) What is the black wire with the yellow strip(Above the 12 V Red in the middle)
3) What is the solid black wire below the 12 V Red?

From my understanding, the solid black wire below is the starter signal wire. If that's the case, then that's why I ask the questions in #1 and #2 above.

I have researched this over and over I cannot find anything that just plainly shows a wiring diagram that communicates this.

Help would be much appreciated.

1) I want to make sure everything is wired correctly.

2) I would like to test the starter before I put the manifold back on the engine. I need to know which lead is the starter signal wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	424431  
Ads by Google
Old 02-22-2014, 08:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Easy enough. While the two smaller wires are interchangeable you'll see that the "ring" that goes on the post are actually different. One is smaller than the other. Correspondingly, the posts are also slightly different, one is smaller than the other.

The smaller-ringed wire goes to the smaller post, the bigger-ringed wire to the bigger post.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330ci
What the wires do....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
Easy enough. While the two smaller wires are interchangeable you'll see that the "ring" that goes on the post are actually different. One is smaller than the other. Correspondingly, the posts are also slightly different, one is smaller than the other.

The smaller-ringed wire goes to the smaller post, the bigger-ringed wire to the bigger post.
Appreciate the response and I understand that.

I am trying to understand their functions. The posts and the wires wouldn't be different unless they have different functions...I would think.

I don't think they are interchangeable. That would imply I could cross the wires and everything would be "ok." Not sure about that, but maybe you can explain that to me.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhwells View Post
Appreciate the response and I understand that.

I am trying to understand their functions. The posts and the wires wouldn't be different unless they have different functions...I would think.

I don't think they are interchangeable. That would imply I could cross the wires and everything would be "ok." Not sure about that, but maybe you can explain that to me.
Interchangeable as in you can physically fit one wire to the other and clamp it down. It obviously wouldn't work however (obviously). And according to the piece of paper that comes with a new starter, it wouldn't hurt it. I just wouldn't work.

I never went into what those wires are and what they do. Sorry if I misinterpreted your original post. That said I would also want to verify correct hook-up prior to buttoning everything up. When I did mine I went through the bottom, and because I didn't remove the manifold I had the luxury of testing it right away.

Good luck. Something tells me though that you already got it hooked up correctly.