Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-26-2010, 10:49 AM
kwoolf1 kwoolf1 is offline
Registered User
Location: Libertyville, IL
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 20
Mein Auto: 330ci
BP fuels

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, Mods - feel free to move if appropriate.

I picked up a 2011 535i with the new N55 engine in Munich last month. Driving was great with all European fuel fill-ups. Still have a month until re-delivery in the US but have a question about gas.

I'm reading in the Owner's Manual (p.65 of 5 that BMW recommends using a high quality brand such as gasoline that is advertised as Top Tier Detergent Gasoline. Then right below that paragraph a single sentence reads: BMW recommends BP fuels (with BMW in BOLD).

I checked the Top Tier Detergent Gasoline website and BP is not among the many retailers.

So should I go with what BMW recommends or Top Tier. There is definitely a disconnect. Hopefully, it's just the bad publicity that BP is has hanging over them. But I want to use the best available gas for longevity of my new ride. I live near Chicago if that makes any difference. Please advise. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 07-26-2010, 11:40 AM
TJPark01's Avatar
TJPark01 TJPark01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,162
Mein Auto: E92 335i
As long as it's a name brand, you're probably all set.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-26-2010, 12:19 PM
760Lifan's Avatar
760Lifan 760Lifan is offline
BMW-addicted
Location: Land O Lakes, FL
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,276
Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoolf1 View Post
Then right below that paragraph a single sentence reads: BMW recommends BP fuels (with BMW in BOLD).
I copy what the previous poster said: As long as it is a name brand, you're OK. Trust me, if BMW would have known of the desaster in the gulf when they printed the manual, you wouldn't find that "recommendation" in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-26-2010, 12:46 PM
listerone listerone is offline
Oil Burners Rule!
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 900
Mein Auto: 2014 328d
My attitude is that I don't buy from "Skip's Gas & Suds" type places...only major national/regional brands (Mobil/Shell/Sunoco/Hess,etc).
__________________
Currently: 2014 328d / Mineral Grey Metallic / Nav / Apps / Backup Camera
Formerly:2011 MB E350 Bluetec / Palladium Silver / Nav / Active Cruise / HarmonKardon Logic7
Formerly:2009 335d / Monaco Blue / Beige Leather / Nav / iDrive / Xenon / Sirius / HD Radio

Fuelly

Last edited by listerone; 07-26-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Crmgr Crmgr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brunswick Hills Ohio
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 478
Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
As I posted in another recent thread on my E60, my service advisor recently asked me what fuel I was using because I was reporting longer cranking when cold. This was coming off of a fuel pump replacement last spring. I told him mostly Shell, but sometimes BP. He said the problem with BP is that they use 10-15% ethanol in their fuels. He said the alcohol can cause problems resulting in longer cranking. I've always had good luck with Shell.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-26-2010, 01:01 PM
listerone listerone is offline
Oil Burners Rule!
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 900
Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crmgr View Post
He said the problem with BP is that they use 10-15% ethanol in their fuels. He said the alcohol can cause problems resulting in longer cranking. I've always had good luck with Shell.
In my experience it's been a long time since I've seen a gas pump that didn't say "contains maximum of 10% ethanol".Don't know if that notation is nationwide or varies from state to state.I've never seen anything more than 10% listed.
__________________
Currently: 2014 328d / Mineral Grey Metallic / Nav / Apps / Backup Camera
Formerly:2011 MB E350 Bluetec / Palladium Silver / Nav / Active Cruise / HarmonKardon Logic7
Formerly:2009 335d / Monaco Blue / Beige Leather / Nav / iDrive / Xenon / Sirius / HD Radio

Fuelly
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Crmgr Crmgr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brunswick Hills Ohio
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 478
Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
BP started posting stickers on their pumps here in Ohio for "up to 15% ethanol". I believe they only add it during summer months. I've never seen a sticker on a Shell pump, not to say they don't use it in their fuels.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-26-2010, 04:00 PM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is online now
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,011
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
If you're in a major metropolitan area, then stick with the larger brands. I think that in smaller towns it doesn't matter because I know my town has one fuel supplier that supplies all the fuel stations. When possible, try and get non-ethanol fuel.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Mr. Magic Mr. Magic is offline
Mr. Magic
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 145
Mein Auto: 2001 330i and 2011 535i
Irony here in their sign....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Tanning machine's Avatar
Tanning machine Tanning machine is offline
Using SPF 45
Location: Washington, D.C.
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,519
Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crmgr View Post
As I posted in another recent thread on my E60, my service advisor recently asked me what fuel I was using because I was reporting longer cranking when cold. This was coming off of a fuel pump replacement last spring. I told him mostly Shell, but sometimes BP. He said the problem with BP is that they use 10-15% ethanol in their fuels. He said the alcohol can cause problems resulting in longer cranking. I've always had good luck with Shell.
It varies from area to area, sometimes smaller than a state. But all the fuel you buy in an area is likely to have the same formulation. Only difference is additives. That's because generally all the gas refiners dump a certain amount into a pipe in Houston, New Orleans, etc., and then take the same amount out at the other end. Then they put their own additives in and truck it to the gas stations with their brand. So the gasoline is a mix of what everyone puts in the pipe (and should be basically the same).

If you want a sense here's map from a few years ago:

http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/Fil...p%20100102.pdf
__________________
Tanning Machine I: 1989 325iC (Salmon Silver/Black, Heated Seats, LSD). 7/26/1989-11/1/2003.
Tanning Machine II: 2004 330Cic (Silver Gray/Natural Brown, SP, PP, Heated Seats, Xenons). 8/29/2003-present.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-26-2010, 07:04 PM
TJPark01's Avatar
TJPark01 TJPark01 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,162
Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanning machine View Post
It varies from area to area, sometimes smaller than a state. But all the fuel you buy in an area is likely to have the same formulation. Only difference is additives. That's because generally all the gas refiners dump a certain amount into a pipe in Houston, New Orleans, etc., and then take the same amount out at the other end. Then they put their own additives in and truck it to the gas stations with their brand. So the gasoline is a mix of what everyone puts in the pipe (and should be basically the same).

If you want a sense here's map from a few years ago:

http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/Fil...p%20100102.pdf
That's my understanding as well. Regionally, it's pretty much all the same $h*t, the difference is the additive pack or detergent formulations added to the fuel. Stick with the major brands and you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-27-2010, 08:38 AM
FCBayernFTW's Avatar
FCBayernFTW FCBayernFTW is offline
Original *****
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,270
Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
Stay away from BP... they deserve to tank.....
__________________
Fc Bayern Deutschermeister ja so heißt er mein Verein,
Ja so war es und so ist es und so wird es immer sein
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-28-2010, 12:59 PM
MooseF10 MooseF10 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 106
Mein Auto: Everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn View Post
Stay away from BP... they deserve to tank.....
Most branded stations (Shell, BP etc) are not owned in any way by the oil company whose brand is on the station. These are franchise stores many of which are owned as family businesses. They are the ones stuck buying their fuels from BP, Shell etc so don't punish them because you don't care for the brand.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-28-2010, 01:35 PM
CRG CRG is offline
Registered User
Location: Cleveland, OH
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Question

Took delivery of 2011 528i about three weeks ago. Great car overall. My first BMW. I did not get Dynamic Handling because Active Roll Stablization was not part of the package. Still, it handles great (then again I am 60 y/o). Kept the price down.

On the BP fuel issue: The car has a mild shake upon startup for 15-20 seconds. Once I start driving it goes away. Service person at the dealership said to switch to Shell gasoline when I told him I was using BP (93). Could the gasoline be my problem? Should I schedule a service call? No warning light has come on.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-28-2010, 05:03 PM
760Lifan's Avatar
760Lifan 760Lifan is offline
BMW-addicted
Location: Land O Lakes, FL
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,276
Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseF10 View Post
Most branded stations (Shell, BP etc) are not owned in any way by the oil company whose brand is on the station. These are franchise stores many of which are owned as family businesses. They are the ones stuck buying their fuels from BP, Shell etc so don't punish them because you don't care for the brand.
If the United States vote for an embargo on a certain country, the ones "hurt" usually haven't done anything wrong either and the ones that should be punished can only laugh about it.

And if those BP family-stores are stuck purchasing their fuels from BP, it certainly gives me a reason NOT to fill up at that gas-station.

As a Floridian, I have a ZERO tolerance for BP. Now and in the future. If others get hurt although they are not the blame, I'm sorry for them but I have no other option than boykotting BP to demonstrate how I feel about this company. I wouldn't even return to BP if 99.99% of every $ spent would stay with the local business and only the rest would go to BP.

Why should I, as a Floridian, do business with BP and not with any other locally owned gas-station?

Last edited by 760Lifan; 07-28-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-29-2010, 04:01 AM
FCBayernFTW's Avatar
FCBayernFTW FCBayernFTW is offline
Original *****
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,270
Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
F*%K BP... And don't blame the current Administration for this... the cronyism predates this term.
__________________
Fc Bayern Deutschermeister ja so heißt er mein Verein,
Ja so war es und so ist es und so wird es immer sein
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-29-2010, 04:51 PM
MooseF10 MooseF10 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 106
Mein Auto: Everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
If the United States vote for an embargo on a certain country, the ones "hurt" usually haven't done anything wrong either and the ones that should be punished can only laugh about it.

HUH? Current US embargoed countries are Cuba, Sudan and Iran. They are not laughing.

And if those BP family-stores are stuck purchasing their fuels from BP, it certainly gives me a reason NOT to fill up at that gas-station.

Why? Now you want to make the mom and pop station owners victums of BP too?

As a Floridian, I have a ZERO tolerance for BP. Now and in the future. If others get hurt although they are not the blame, I'm sorry for them but I have no other option than boykotting BP to demonstrate how I feel about this company. I wouldn't even return to BP if 99.99% of every $ spent would stay with the local business and only the rest would go to BP.

See below

Why should I, as a Floridian, do business with BP and not with any other locally owned gas-station?
Guess what, the gas you buy from any local station (including such names as Shell, Exxon etc) could have come from a BP refinery. Your non brand name station could be selling BP refined gas. You don't know. Gasoline at a branded station only means that it may contain an additive package designed by that brand. It does not mean that it was refined by that brand.

The major oil companies exited retail years ago. By boycotting a station, you are only hurting the owner of that station. If you don't like the serrvice you get when buying your Red Bull and package of pink snowballs, by all means shop somewhere else. Don't punish the owner because he is under contract to brand his station under the BP name.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-30-2010, 08:03 AM
760Lifan's Avatar
760Lifan 760Lifan is offline
BMW-addicted
Location: Land O Lakes, FL
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,276
Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseF10 View Post
HUH? Current US embargoed countries are Cuba, Sudan and Iran. They are not laughing.
The LEADERS of these countries are responsible for the embargos and believe it or not - they ARE laughing. Or are you trying to tell me that the leader of Cuba, Sudan or Iran has anything missing in his life because of our embargo?

The people affected by the embargos are those who are NOT responsible for their leaders' actions. Just like the owners of your "mom and pop stations". But we still put up embargos because it is the SYMBOL that matters. We are telling those countries that we don't agree on what they are doing. And that's exactly what I'm (and millions of other people are) doing. In that case, it doesn't even matter if the fuel is coming from BP or not.

I clearly explained why I won't fill up at BP anymore. Your "mom and pop"-argument doesn't count because you failed to answer the most important question of my previous post. Here it is again:

Why should I, as a Floridian, do business with BP and not with any other locally owned gas-station?

Every other gas-station that earns my business now instead of BP is just as likely to be a "mom and pop" business as well...so what's your point? Are you suggesting that I should stop filling up at shell, chevron or any other gas-station and go to BP instead to support those poor business-owners because they are so hardly hit?

Did you support business and restaurants owned by individuals from Islamic countries after 9/11? If not, WHY didn't you? Where those owners personally responsible for 9/11?

We are living in a free market economy and doing business under the label of a specific brand is sometimes "in" and sometimes "out". BP is "out" right now and those in charge did the best they could do be "out" - especially AFTER the incident occured. The customers BP gas-stations lose are additional customers for other stations. That's fine with me.

But I don't blame you for your personal opinion. You're from Texas (where oil seems to be VERY important) and since you aren't facing any oil on your beaches, I can understand that it might not be such a big deal for you as it is for me.

Last edited by 760Lifan; 07-30-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-30-2010, 02:29 PM
MooseF10 MooseF10 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 106
Mein Auto: Everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
The LEADERS of these countries are responsible for the embargos and believe it or not - they ARE laughing. Or are you trying to tell me that the leader of Cuba, Sudan or Iran has anything missing in his life because of our embargo?

The people affected by the embargos are those who are NOT responsible for their leaders' actions. Just like the owners of your "mom and pop stations". But we still put up embargos because it is the SYMBOL that matters. We are telling those countries that we don't agree on what they are doing. And that's exactly what I'm (and millions of other people are) doing. In that case, it doesn't even matter if the fuel is coming from BP or not.

I clearly explained why I won't fill up at BP anymore. Your "mom and pop"-argument doesn't count because you failed to answer the most important question of my previous post. Here it is again:

Why should I, as a Floridian, do business with BP and not with any other locally owned gas-station?

Every other gas-station that earns my business now instead of BP is just as likely to be a "mom and pop" business as well...so what's your point? Are you suggesting that I should stop filling up at shell, chevron or any other gas-station and go to BP instead to support those poor business-owners because they are so hardly hit?

Go wherever you want. My point is that BP franchise filling station owners are victims too. To argue otherwise is IGNORANT

Did you support business and restaurants owned by individuals from Islamic countries after 9/11? If not, WHY didn't you? Where those owners personally responsible for 9/11?

I did not punish those not responsible. That would be IGNORANT

We are living in a free market economy and doing business under the label of a specific brand is sometimes "in" and sometimes "out". BP is "out" right now and those in charge did the best they could do be "out" - especially AFTER the incident occured. The customers BP gas-stations lose are additional customers for other stations. That's fine with me.

AS I explained, BP refineries are selling their gas to those other stations too. If you go elsewhere, so do the refined fuels from BP. You are not punishing BP, you are punishing local busnisee owners. BP will still sell every drop of gasoline they refine regardless of the brand on the station who purchases it. Supply follows demand. You want to hurt BP, stop driving.

But I don't blame you for your personal opinion. You're from Texas (where oil seems to be VERY important) and since you aren't facing any oil on your beaches, I can understand that it might not be such a big deal for you as it is for me.
Logic is what is important to me. As for BP, I could not care less.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-30-2010, 05:04 PM
johnnyc51 johnnyc51 is offline
Registered User
Location: Land of Enchantment
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 73
Mein Auto: '11 535i; '06 X3
Getting back to your original question, Top Tier or the BMW recommended BP?

BMW entered a R&D "partnership" with BP back in 1999 to research/address emmisions and engine efficiencies. They also entered a business partnership with Castrol to R&D lubricants in '99 which is why Castrol is the "shop" oil at all BMW service departments. To even further embed the relationship, BP acquired Castrol in 2002. You can find some interesting press releases by going to bp.com and searching for BMW. Especially some stuff about the research into long interval oil changes (seems to have originally been driven by VW/Audi).

Top Tier is a response from 4 auto makers (BMW, Toyota, Honda and GM) to the EPA's reduction, under the Bush administration, of the levels of detergents required to be added to gasoline (cost savings to the oil companies). Top Tier essentially voluntarily raises the amounts of detergents retailers add to their gas as it goes into the trucks at your local distribution center. The effort is to ensure your engine isn't building up carbon on the pistons (detonation/knocking) ot the valves and their seats (leaking).

Shell is a participant in the Top Tier program and I've tried to use it exclusively in all 3 of the BMWs we've had. Their web site states that they have 2X the minimum requirement in their low and mid range fuels and 5X in the 91 octane V-Power
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-30-2010, 08:35 PM
760Lifan's Avatar
760Lifan 760Lifan is offline
BMW-addicted
Location: Land O Lakes, FL
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,276
Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseF10 View Post
Go wherever you want. My point is that BP franchise filling station owners are victims too. To argue otherwise is IGNORANT
I didn't argue otherwise. And the question why I should pick BP over another gas-station remains...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-31-2010, 06:52 AM
johnnyc51 johnnyc51 is offline
Registered User
Location: Land of Enchantment
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 73
Mein Auto: '11 535i; '06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
I didn't argue otherwise. And the question why I should pick BP over another gas-station remains...
First let me state that I do agree with your desire, and right, to send a message to BP. If we are going to talk "mom and pop" businesses, the gulf coast is covered with them and they are all being affected by BP's negligence (see the July 12th Bloomberg Businessweek).

Maybe you (we) could send a more focused message by requesting that our free maintenance oil changes be done with any oil that meets necessary specs, other than the BP owned Castrol (see my post just above) that is used by all dealers.

I'd be willing to throw a case of Mobil 1 or Royal Purple in the trunk if I could figure out a way to be compensated by the dealer for my buying the stuff as it's a no charge service. And if you're like me and have "off the clock" oil changes done by the dealer (5000-7500 miles) where you DO pay for the oil, certainly bring your own.

Hmmmm, maybe a free carpet shampoo or wax job............
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-31-2010, 07:57 AM
pharding pharding is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Somewhere
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,031
Mein Auto: 11 550i
My strategy is avoid anything remotely associated with BP. If a station carries the BP label, they are trying to benefit from the assocaition with BP. I don't care who owns the station. If the name BP is on a business, I will never buy anything there. Screw those greedy British bast@rds.
__________________
04 Successfully lobbied BMW NA and BMW FS to prohibit dealers from using residual values based upon Euro Delivery MSRP and to use US MSRP saving BMW Enthusiasts several thousand dollars on each lease

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms