Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 08-13-2010, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 740i
Exclamation Safety switch problem or something else?

I have been working on restoring my 1995 e38 740i that has sat for about a year. Recently i dropped down the fuel tank removed all the old gas replaced the fuel filter, oil change, spark plug change and gutted the entire interior to start repairing the leather/headliner/pillars. So, that being said the car is half disassembled and rather ez to take apart at the moment. Im about to take apart the dash to get at the final stage resistor as well but wasnt exactly sure where the EWS is located. I also have a hydraulic lift at my house so getting under the car isnt a problem.

TO THE DETAILS:
1.When i first got back to start the engine it wouldnt crank over. The car would power up in ignition position 2 but nothing would happen not even an attempt to crank or hearing the starter die etc.**battery is also fully charged". Thinking my starter was done, i had it replaced with a remanuf. one and figured i would be done with it. (this was about 6 months ago)

2.Recently I did some research on the car and found out that there were 2 problems one with the neutral safety switch the other with a misaligned EWS or something like that. So, i took the neutral safety switch out and decided i would attempt to at least blow out the harness pins and see if maybe there was just some dirt or something in there. Prior to taking out the switch i had heard about some tricks to get the car started from a few friends. So, i jiggled the shifter in between Neutral and reverse as well as in between neutral and drive and the car would eventually start. Sometimes on occasion the car would start in park after i had fooled around with the shifter a bit. I also have a aftermarket alarm with remote start however the responder is kinda messed up and corroded so it doesnt always work.(THE ALARM IS NOT ARMED I KEPT THE KILLSTART FEATURE OF THE ALARM IDEA IN MIND) But when i did try to remote start the car it started normally twice then once it wouldnt start. When attempting to start the car sometimes the electrical system would just shut off all together after attempting to crank the car over. I had to go and reset the negative terminal on the battery to get the interior lights and such back on again.

3. So trying to go the cheap route instead of getting bent over by my local BMW dealership, i purchased a neutral safety switch online, which turned out to be the WRONG part from a 1997 740il .. from the research ive done it looks like nothing except another swtch off a 1995 will work, the harness pins and housing are wayyy different.

QUESTIONS:
1. If this issue is actually my neutral safety switch is there a way to repair this piece. I read something online about drilling out the rivets on the switch and cleaning out the internal components of all the gunk and crap built up in there over the years. This DIY i read was NOT for a BMW tho.

2. If the piece is not repairable, is there a way to bypass the switch by jumping the pins on the harness, and if so will it trigger a large number of error codes on the computer. FORGOT TO ADD BTW I AM ATTEMPTING TO SELL THIS CAR SO I JUST WANT TO BE DONE WITH IT. I will notify the new owner what was done but at least want it to be able to start without having to play with it. The car is auto so i highly doubt anyone would attempt to start it in gear its pretty obvious what gear its in.

3. If this component can not be repaired or bypassed does anyone know anywhere to purchase this item from a junkyard or something. (not bavarian its like 250$ from there). The part is for a 1995 e38 740i the part number i believe begins with 0501 209 something not sure if that is even a bmw part number.
Advertisement