Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-27-2010, 04:53 AM

Mein Auto: E39 2002
Unhappy My speedometer needles are not working correctly after I was messing with them :(

Hi guys,

Im having some problems with my E39 2002 speedometer.

I was fixing the missing pixels problem. When I was messing with the speedometer the needles were moving a little so I adjusted them phisically into position 0. I guess I shouldnt have done that since the result when I put the speedometer back into the car was the following:

- Fuel needle seems ok
- Speed needle doesnt return to 0 after a ful stop. When I accelerate it goes up but then sticks when going back down. When I was driving 50-60mph the needle was stuck at 70mph. Then I deccelerate and it unsticks itself and starts dropping but not fluently. Its basically jumping down. (sticks at 60 -> jumps to 50, sticks at 50 -> jumps to 35...) At 0 mph it stops just above that pin that should stop it so it looks like im driving at 10mph. And the speeds it shows when the needle is moving also seem to be incorrect.
- Rev needle looks ok
- Temperature needle stops at 1/4 when i should be at 2/4.

Can someone please help me?
How can i recalibrate those needles? Or did I break my speedo beyond repair?

Thanks for your help everyone.
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
IMHO..

I think you may have screwed the pooch on this one.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:09 AM
Ich liebe meine Funfers!

Mein Auto: 550i and E34 530i
I had a similar problem in my e34 back in the day... The little electro-mechanical mechanisms behind the needles are incredibly small and sensitive to the slightest electrical input. Physical input (i.e. you) damages them badly- you're most likely looking at a new cluster if you want them to be perfect again.

550i . Sport . Nav . L7 . Sirius . Cold . Eibachs . Bilsteins . 19" TSW . K&N . MTech V3
Old 07-27-2010, 07:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Unknown error...
I messed up mine on the e36 too, same way as you did, no way to get it right back as far as I know, I just learned to live with it.
Never touch the niddles!!!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:19 AM
(oOO)\(lll)(lll)/(OOo)

Mein Auto: 98 528i 5 speed
i agree with the ^ posts, i think your going to have to replace your cluster =( hopefully you can find one with all good pixels..

Fs: KAC-8103D, Kicker 08ts10l52
Old 07-28-2010, 02:31 AM

Thanks for your answers guys

Anyway. I guess ill be buying a new speedo. But as I was looking for a new one I found 2 different speedos with a quite substantial price difference between them and I have no idea which one is the correct one.

Here are the links and part numbers for them.

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/62119155827/

and

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/62106942233/

Does nayone have any idea what the difference might be?

My car has a board computer with no navigation or tv or anything like that. Its an automatic transmission.

Any ideas?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:48 AM
(oOO)\(lll)(lll)/(OOo)

Mein Auto: 98 528i 5 speed
i believe the 2nd one includes the core cost, which should be returned when you give them your old cluster.

Fs: KAC-8103D, Kicker 08ts10l52
Old 07-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Send you cluster to VDO repair, that would be easiest. www.vdorepair.com call or email them for an estimate.
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:05 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denathos View Post
Hi guys,

Im having some problems with my E39 2002 speedometer.

I was fixing the missing pixels problem. When I was messing with the speedometer the needles were moving a little so I adjusted them phisically into position 0. I guess I shouldnt have done that since the result when I put the speedometer back into the car was the following:

- Fuel needle seems ok
- Speed needle doesnt return to 0 after a ful stop. When I accelerate it goes up but then sticks when going back down. When I was driving 50-60mph the needle was stuck at 70mph. Then I deccelerate and it unsticks itself and starts dropping but not fluently. Its basically jumping down. (sticks at 60 -> jumps to 50, sticks at 50 -> jumps to 35...) At 0 mph it stops just above that pin that should stop it so it looks like im driving at 10mph. And the speeds it shows when the needle is moving also seem to be incorrect.
- Rev needle looks ok
- Temperature needle stops at 1/4 when i should be at 2/4.

Can someone please help me?
How can i recalibrate those needles? Or did I break my speedo beyond repair?

Thanks for your help everyone.
Sounds like you're trying to change the election results by writing on your TV with a magic marker. (It doesn't change anything.)
Old 07-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
Sounds like you're trying to change the election results by writing on your TV with a magic marker. (It doesn't change anything.)
Not to mention what it does to a perfectly good TV.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesht View Post
i believe the 2nd one includes the core cost, which should be returned when you give them your old cluster.
Actually the difference is the chrome rings. That of course doesnt justify the price difference. The reason for such fluctuations in prices is just different batch numbers and different suppliers because even some speedos without the chrome rings cost 50% more than others of the same type.

So I ordered my new speedo. Will be replaced tomorrow.

The irony is that I fixed the pixel issue. I just didnt expect the needle motor to be that fragile. If I just used some tape to fixate the position of the needles, I wouldnt have to move them to position 0 with my fingers and the speedo would be like new.

Oh well.. we learn something new everyday. Hopefully the next person who will be opening their speedo for any reason has learned something from this.

Last edited by Denathos; 07-29-2010 at 12:48 AM.