Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci Coupe
Leaking Washer Fluid Bottle Fix

Those of you who donít perform DIY maintenance and repairs on your 6 can stop reading now.

Leaks from the windshield/headlight washer tank are a fairly common occurrence on the current 6 and contemporary 5 series models. On the 6, the tank is located in the front fender well ahead of the front tire, so access is a pain and involves jacking up the car, removing the driverís side front wheel, and unbolting/peeling back the wheel well liner. You will see two pumps that are press fit/clipped into the back side of the tank, seated in elastomer grommet/filter assemblies. If you donít do your BMW forum research (as I foolishly didnít), your first guess at the problem will likely be that one or both of the grommets have failed. Theyíre inexpensive ($2-3 each), so thatís a cheap/easy fix. Unfortunately, they arenít the problem. Your next guess might be (as mine was) that the tank itself is the culprit, but will find, another $50+ later, that it isnít.

Long story short, the issue is the smaller of the two pumps, P/N 67 12 6 934 159 (about $45). An internal check valve fails and allows fluid to leak, though a visual inspection makes it look like the leak is from the tank/grommet area. Save yourself a lot of time/effort/money/swearing and learn from my mistake Ė replace the washer fluid pump first.

On a related note, Iíd like to offer an unsolicited plug for Tischer BMW (getbmwparts.com). In my experience they offer the lowest prices online for OEM parts, and very quick shipping.

Previous BMWs:
2000 328Ci
1997 328is
Ads by Google
Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bmw 645ci
had same problem, changed grommet.... still leaked, changed whole pump.... leak fixed.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645 Coupe
Trying to fix same problem...hope it works.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 645ci
Easy fix... Replaced whole pump = no more leaks
Old 02-20-2011, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645 Coupe
replaced headlight washer pump...problem fixed.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: Jet Black e63
Thank you very much for this write-up! My washer fluid reservoir was leaking and I was able to remove the 6 screws in the driver's side tire liner and pull it back enough to replace the small motor with the rim and tire still attached to the car. I only had to turn the wheel in order to access the screws. The entire replacement process took me about 6 minutes. It was very easy to do and my leak is now fixed. It was not the rubber grommet, but it was the small headlight washer motor as you suggested. I replaced it with a Myle-brand part which was only $39 shipped to my door.

BMW E63 (Jet Black w/Chateau Red Interior, Sport Pkg, Cold Pkg, Nav, Logic 7)
-20" Status 931 Staggered Wheels (Black Lip)
-Continental ExtremeContact DWS XL Tires
-AC Schnitzer Pedals/Footrest
-Lumma Roof Spoiler (Painted)
-50% Smoke Window Tint
-5W Kaibird LED Angel Eyes
-Black Vinyl Corner Overlays
-K&N Air Filter
Old 01-17-2012, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 645Ci
Thanks for the write up, I currently have a leak also and i'm going to attempt this when it starts to get warmer.

Is this the part? http://www.4wheelsautoparts.com/bmw-...p-p-11263.html ? Matches the P/n with OP but it's so much cheaper. Definetly going to try it without removing the wheel.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:57 PM

Mein Auto: Jet Black e63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksquad View Post
Thanks for the write up, I currently have a leak also and i'm going to attempt this when it starts to get warmer.

Is this the part? http://www.4wheelsautoparts.com/bmw-...p-p-11263.html ? Matches the P/n with OP but it's so much cheaper. Definetly going to try it without removing the wheel.
Yeah, that's the part you need. I saw that cheap Vemo one too, but I don't know who the heck that company is. So I went for the Meyle part which I know makes good stuff and was still a lot cheaper than the OEM. You don't need to wait till it gets warm. I did this in 5 minutes with only a small socket wrench and it was about 35-degrees out in NJ. No need to jack up the car even. Just turn the wheel towards the right and you will get to all the screws that you need to. Unscrew about 5 of them and you can then peel back the lining. All you have to do is pull the pump up and out and disconnect the connector and the small downtube and install the new one in reverse. Easiest fix ever...

Good Luck.

Edit: I am in South Jersey about 10 minutes from Philly... PM me and I'll meet you somewhere around Rt. 130 halfway and do it for you if you get the part. It will only take 5 minutes... You don't want to wait until it gets warmer because this is the time of year that you will need your washers the most!

BMW E63 (Jet Black w/Chateau Red Interior, Sport Pkg, Cold Pkg, Nav, Logic 7)
-20" Status 931 Staggered Wheels (Black Lip)
-Continental ExtremeContact DWS XL Tires
-AC Schnitzer Pedals/Footrest
-Lumma Roof Spoiler (Painted)
-50% Smoke Window Tint
-5W Kaibird LED Angel Eyes
-Black Vinyl Corner Overlays
-K&N Air Filter

Last edited by DBLAZE; 01-19-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW
So, I think I have the same leak, but it doesnt leak every day, so far I have just seen it leak once and since then it hasnt leaked so I havent paid much attention. Is this the usual case or is this consistent and a daily occurence with you guys? If I wait to fix it does it eventually pose a potential bigger problem ? Thanks in advance guys!
Old 02-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Big Mike Brown

Send a message via AIM to brown370
Mein Auto: 07 BMW X5 4.8i
I am on my 3rd pump now, they don't last too long. It only takes about 30 minutes to change them out.

(Previous rides)
04 BMW 645 CiC Auto
97 VW Jetta Jazz 5 SPD
06 Mazda 6 Grand Sport Auto
05 BMW X5 3.0 6 SPD
05 Infiniti G35 6 SPD
04 Volvo S60 "R" 6 SPD
99 Nissan Maxima 5 SPD
91 Nissan 300ZX 5 SPD
92 Honda Prelude Si Auto
76 Fiat Spyder 124 5 SPD
Old 09-27-2013, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Spot On

Welles is spot on. I actually watched the small pump form a tear drop leak while I did a full tank test.

Really good post!

Thanks!!