Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-25-2014, 12:27 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 520i
Smile ABS problems totaly stuck

hey all first of all ive looked and searched all the forums about abs issues and have tried multi meter checks etc.
I have a year 2000 520i bmw
the problem I have got is abs light on and traction light on . I have pulled the plug of the abs module and put the multi meter in the relevant pins to find a reading from each sensor on each wheel but I have no reading from any of the 4 sensors . I have checked to make sure im doing it write and have a spare abs sensor ive tried for a reading and that shows up good checked fuses etc . so could some one please help me out with any thoughts ideas. I would take it to a dealer but cant afford there prices also I like fixing my own car that's the fun of owning it thanks in advance

Last edited by theloony1; 02-25-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-25-2014, 01:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525i 2002 & x5 2002
If your not getting a reading at the module plug, go to the wheels sensors.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-25-2014, 02:53 AM

Mein Auto: '98 528
^^^ Thats a good idea. On my '98 the wires to the sensors were literally cracking apart causing a short and the sensor crumbled apart when I pulled it out. Also a good code reader will indicate if individual sensors are bad and can be very helpful. A basic OBD reader wont do it tho. Has to be able to read BMW codes.

Last edited by Flybot; 02-25-2014 at 02:54 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:51 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
There are about 10% of the people who can't get good readings at first, and almost all of them find out the problem is that they either have varnish coated paper clips or they aren't making contact correctly, and about half of them use a different multimeter to finally get their readings.

It's all about equipment, and technique.

But, as stated, you'll always get a reading at the wheel connection box.

See also:
- How to diagnose the BMW amber ABS BRAKE DSC/ASC trifecta or bifecta (1) & what are all known options when your ABS control module is bad (1) & Quick99Si's explanation of why the 10-minute wheel speed sensor diode-action quick test doesn't always work, especially on brand new non-OEM wheel speed sensors (1) (2) & explanations by 540iman as to why the fancy diagnostic tools very often (extremely often, like almost all the time) fail to properly diagnose the trifecta or bifecta (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & where to get the fancy schmancy diagnostic tools for free once you're aware of these limitations (1) & an ABS BRAKE DSC trifecta brake pressure sensor diagnostic DIY (1) & how to test and replace the steering angle sensor (1)
Old 03-29-2014, 08:01 PM

update

ok so I found out my problem was front right sensor front left sensor .
but now after nearly a month I have a new problem today I was sitting in a car park with car running and suddenly the abs and trac lights came on. I drove it home and noticed the car was sluggish speedo did not work or the mpg also when I pressed the door unlock button in the car near the gear change it did not work. I turned car of played with locks on key etc and started car up and abs and trac lights went of then on after a few seconds so played with locks again lights went out this time so drove the car and all is working as it should again. what could this problem be I will add that the drivers door does not lock with the key remote as the cog in the motor mechanism has sheared I found that out the day before could it be something to do with that switch inside the mechanism or the wiring I played with
Old 03-29-2014, 09:34 PM

I would recommend doing the test over again. I can't recall which sensor does the speedo.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR1982 View Post
which sensor does the speedo
Old 04-03-2014, 10:37 PM

thanks to everyone for the replys . hears a new problem ive got with the abs. Ok to start of ive checked all wheel sensors and there all perfect working order. Checked all fuses etc and have checked rechecked wiring from sensors to the module.
The problem I have is if I play with the clock options in the dash or have stereo on for a period of time the abs and the trac control light comes on. If I lock the doors and unlock them a few times it turns them of. Any ideas its confused me

Last edited by theloony1; 04-03-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloony1 View Post
thanks to everyone for the replys . hears a new problem ive got with the abs ok to start of ive checked all wheel sensors and there all perfect working order checked all fuses etc and have checked rechecked wiring from sensors to the module.
The problem I have is if I play with the clock options in the dash or have stereo on for a period of time the abs and the trac control light comes on and if I lock the doors and unlock a few times it turns them of any ideas its confused me
Just a friendly suggestion.

Just as turn signals are a courtesy to others which way your bimmer is going, capitalization and periods are a courtesy to others which way your sentences are going.

I couldn't understand what you wrote, so, I'll put you on iggy ... but someone else may take the time and effort to decipher what you're trying to get at. Good luck!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:10 PM

There you go all caps done. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:32 AM

Ha ha blue. Theloony1, I don't think that the problems are related to your stereo or door locks. I would recommend waiting a week. The lights should eventually come and stay on. If I'm right, and you have performed the tests correctly, it's your module.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:49 AM

ye I thoihgt it was my module to ive repaired it once
Old 04-04-2014, 11:37 AM

Where? BBReman warrantees them.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:44 PM

i fixed it myself