Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-07-2013, 10:14 PM
I gotta have more cowbell

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Temporary fix of small coolant hose under intake

Two hoses (that I think would be the first to fail) carry very hot coolant from the engine other than the large return hose to the radiator in the front-top- One hose is about 1" diameter in the back of the engine at the head, near the firewall, taking coolant to the cabin heater valves, and the other is about 1/2" diameter under the intake manifold, coming out of the head around cylinder #2, and going to the intake manifold where it heats it to prevent ice.

Both these hoses will degrade first near where they attach to the engine because of the extreme heat of both the engine and the coolant at that point.

I just did a temporary fix on the small one, until I can order a replacement. This picture shows how I lifted up the hose and tied it off so I could work on it. I cut off the weak, broken end and there's enough left to reattach.

This picture shows that I needed to undo the hose clamp but didn't want the socket to fall where I could not retrieve it, so I taped a string onto it.

There's a plastic tube at the top front that carries blow-by combustion gas from the head to the CVV. I unfastened the top to move it out of the way, so I could get my hand in. People with bigger hands may in addition need to unscrew the two bolts holding the power steering fluid to move the reservoir away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SNAG-0000.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	365299   Click image for larger version

Name:	SNAG-0001.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	365300   Click image for larger version

Name:	SNAG-0002.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	365301  

Last edited by ztom; 03-07-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2013, 05:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
I think you can use generic heater hoses (local auto parts store) in these locations as the bend is not that bad.
Of course the BMW hose (pre-formed) is better but still....a 16-year-old car...
Old 03-08-2013, 05:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
I took this photo from my ICV, CCV job and post here for others to see the 2 coolant hoses you talked about.
BTW, this applies to 1996-98 M52 engines only. M54 setup is a bit different.

The coolant hoses are labeled by YELLOW arrows:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hoses.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	365317  
Old 03-08-2013, 05:26 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
This seems important - and - offhand (without searching) - it seems to be a newly discussed item ... therefore it should be keyworded in the best links for easy reference.

How should I enter it into the bestlinks?

Is this ok?
- Locating and replacing the additional 1996-98 M52 coolant hoses (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 05-22-2013, 09:11 PM

For the record, there is a good thread on locating all the cooling system hoses here today:
-> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Want to replace cooling system heater hoses.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:04 AM

Here is another set of "hidden" cooling system hoses:
- Why you want to perform the three-hose portion of the cooling system overhaul while replacing your CCV (1)