Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-21-2014, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528i Wagon
Best OBD2 ELM 327 iphone app

I'm sure this subject has been exhausted, but I can't seem to find anything. Downloaded EOBD Facile iphone app... sort of sucks.

Can you guys suggest the best iphone app for reading and clearing codes using the ELM 327 WiFi? Paid or free, doesn't matter.

Just don't wanna' spend $20 and find out the dang thing won't work for BMW's or the ELM... or whatever dumb reason I can't use it!

Advertisement
Old 04-21-2014, 02:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
BMWhat is pretty darn good.Better for Android as you can do some coding with an Android device.I use it with my iphone to reset the occasional e60 emission fault.I bought a Android tablet and in coordination with obd2 cable I can code.The iPhone can't use the cable therefor no coding.This is explained on the web site.I did use this app to turn off my DRLs and change a few other entrance options.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
BMWhat is pretty darn good.Better for Android as you can do some coding with an Android device.I use it with my iphone to reset the occasional e60 emission fault.I bought a Android tablet and in coordination with obd2 cable I can code.The iPhone can't use the cable therefor no coding.This is explained on the web site.I did use this app to turn off my DRLs and change a few other entrance options.
There's gotta' be something less expensive... hmmm.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:53 AM

Engine link,what I use for quick resets.Can monitor about anything.You can create gauges with the right obd2 address.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528iT
To be honest, I was really disappointed with the OBDII offering for iPhone when i started looking into this last fall. They all seemed to suck. IF you own any kind of Android device, try using Torque Pro. It costs about $5 through Google Play and many other App stores, and will let you read all OBDII codes and almost all engine sensor data. I use my son's Kindle Fire, but it should work with nooks, or any Android smart phone. Torque Lite is free and will let you clear codes and read *some* sensor data.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 540i/6
Quote:
What kind of OBD USB cable did you use to do coding on the Android?
Old 04-22-2014, 08:07 AM

Just bought OBD Fusion for $9.99 in the iPhone app store. Seems to work really good. Comes with gauges, you can reset trouble codes, and has lots of trouble code data, sensor data, etc.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:22 AM

My version is the WiFi ELM 327.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC_19 View Post
What kind of OBD USB cable did you use to do coding on the Android?
Used one of the blue ebay cables ,search bmw cable you will find many.Also have an adapter to go from USB to micro USB.BMWhat is great if you don't want the hassle of a whole laptop setup for DIS ect.I have DIS SSS progman but still was curious about BMWhat.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528iT
Quote:
Used one of the blue ebay cables ,search bmw cable you will find many.Also have an adapter to go from USB to micro USB.BMWhat is great if you don't want the hassle of a whole laptop setup for DIS ect.I have DIS SSS progman but still was curious about BMWhat.
Do you know if BMWhat helps with the New Coding System in the post-2006 5-series cars? I had a chance to buy a gorgeous 530xiT a few months ago, but turned it down specifically because the computerization/coding of every single part in that car scared the bejesus out of me. It had clearly taken its toll on the PO who was a DIYer who had hit a wall with that car. Like him, I didn't feel like turning BMW code into my new hobby, and the thought of getting every new battery, headlight motor and water pump recoded seems like such a collasal PITA.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Solution for reseting the Vgate WIFI OBD 2 Scanner from power saving mode

Problem: The latest Vgate WIFI OBD 2 scanner (~$29 on eBay) has a power saving mode (sleeps after one hour of no activity) but no way to wake it up w/o unplugging it and reinserting.

Solution: Install a switch on the 12V DC power pin (Pin 16) in the OBD 2 socket. This way the socket and device don't take a beating everyday. Solution is also good for anyone who wants to power down their OBD 2 scanner to avoid draining the battery.

I saw this solution on another car forum site and decided to implement it for my BMW E39. I spliced a switch on PIN 16 (12V DC) to allow for an easy restart on the device, it goes into power saving mode after one hour and I didn't want to have to yank it out every morning to use my Android w/ Torque App. On power up, it advertises the SSID and allows the Android to connect.

I got the switch at Radio Shack ($4.49 in the parts bin). It has a built in LED which is nice.

Parts:
  1. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3097458
  2. Molex power connects
  3. 18-20 gauge wire
  4. Shrink wrap tubing
  5. Solder
  6. Crimp on connectors (and splice crimp connectors to avoid soldering)
  7. Tie wraps

Here's the basic instructions:
  • Study the BMW OBD 2 pin out (connector has pin numbers on it) - http://pinoutsguide.com/CarElectroni...c_pinout.shtml
  • Disconnect the positive terminal on the battery.
  • Pop out the OBD 2 panel and separate the case and OBD 2 socket (not hard, just take your time.) Panel comes out easy and connect pops apart.
  • Drill out panel to accept switch (I used the switch with the 12mm cut out, fit perfectly). Ther's extra space on one side of the panel.
  • Cut the wire for PIN 16 (Battery 12V DC).
  • Splice in the switch. I used molex computer power connectors so I could bypass the switch later if needed. I soldered in the wires on the splices to the OBD 12V wires.
  • Tie the third leg on the switch to chassis ground. I slipped it into PIN 4 (Ground) on the OBD 2 connector and tie wrapped it in place.
  • I used shrink wrap to insulated everything so I wouldn't get a short later.

Came out very neat. See photos below.

Now an OBD 2 scanner reset is quick and painless.

Thanks,

Phil in NH

Last edited by Phil_in_NH; 06-16-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 525i
I use Dash Command and I'm really happy with it. About 10 dollars and it hooks right up to iPad Air and iPhone 5 well. Takes a couple of minutes to read the signal from the ELM 327 but fun to use while on road trips. Reads codes and clears them well. Even gives you gas consumption rates while driving.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-21-2015, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 E53 (2004) 3.0 d
Vgate Icar2

Hi,
I just received my Vgate Icar 2 which seems to be the most advanced and the smallest version of the ELM 327...
I tried to connect it to my BMW X5 E53 of 2004, and It seems it doesn't want to connect or to read anything...

I use an Iphone 5s and EOBD-Facile as the software...

Anyone experienced the same problem ? or could send me the link of a conversation here that would answer my question ?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2015, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: E39 2000 528ITA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA5Series View Post
I use Dash Command and I'm really happy with it. About 10 dollars and it hooks right up to iPad Air and iPhone 5 well. Takes a couple of minutes to read the signal from the ELM 327 but fun to use while on road trips. Reads codes and clears them well. Even gives you gas consumption rates while driving.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
+1 on dash.. lost of features... iphone use..

Production FROM : 1998/09/01 TO : 1999/08/31

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search