Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I've been researching the radiator parts for hours and found a whole lot of errors in the existing radiator parts list above.

Some of the edits I'll be making are:

Quote:
EXPANSION TANK & HOSES:
-->1st hose (thin) vent hose is on the top from expansion nipple to radiator under shroud (Elaplast)
-->2nd hose (medium) is on the bottom from expansion tank to auxiliary water pump
-->3rd hose (medium) is on the bottom, from expansion tank to (somewhere)
While you can replace the three expansion-tank hoses, it seems they don't generally go bad; so I'm going to move the three expansion tank hoses from "recommended" to "optional".

Quote:
Notes: The blue drain plug comes with the Behr expansion tank; but the filler cap does not
This is incorrect. There is no drain plug in the expansion tank so I'll delete that.

Quote:
THERMOSTAT & HOSES:
- 1 thermostat hose (Elaplast/CRP-Contitech)
- 1 radiator bypass hose (Elaplast/CRP-Contitech)
- Thermostat gasket/seal for thermostat housing (Goetze)
All three of these items are WRONG. There is no specific thermostat hose (at least for my E39). Both radiator hoses go to each side of the thermostat so these two hoses are already covered.

And, despite some DIYs recommending the gasket seal, it is not needed apparently so I'm removing that line altogether also.

Quote:
WATER PUMP:
-1 water pump with o-ring (Hepu is pretty good, GMB is BMW OEM, EMP/Stewart is very high end but expensive)
I'm adding Graf to that list also.

Quote:
- 1 water pump pulley
- 4 water pump pulley bolts
- 4 water pump pulley nuts
Like the expansion tank hoses, these three items exist, but, in reality, they don't generally need to be replaced. The water pump pullley is glass-filled plastic, and if it's damaged, it should be replaced but otherwise, I'm moving these three items to the "optional" list.

Quote:
FAN:
- 1 fan clutch (Behr or Fichtel-Sachs but not MFC)
- 1 fan blade assembly (OEM, Febi-Bilstein or Meyle)
It seems, from research, that there are TWO types of temperature sensors in the fan clutch so we should point that out:
- Behr ==> bi-metallic strip
- Fichtel-Sachs ==> thermal spring
The bi-metallic strip is the OE type.

Also, it seems that most fan blade failures are actually failures of the clutch, so, I'm going to move the fan blade over to the "optional list keeping the fan clutch on the "recommended" replacement list.

Quote:
SENSORS:
- Automatic-transmission thermostat (may break when removing expansion tank)
While this automatic-transmission thermostat seems to exist on some models, it does not apparently exist on the E39; so I'm removing this item.

[/quote]
Note: The top (stick) half of the level sensor comes with the expansion tank but the bottom electrical level sensor does not.[/quote]

Apparently this is not true. The expansion tank comes with both halves of the level sensor. The top half is a mechanical floating stick; and the bottom half is the magnetic sensor. There is no separate level sensor to buy.

Quote:
ODDS & ENDS:
- Buy an extra clip that secures the expansion tank to the shroud (the bleeder screw sits in the middle of this coolant reservoir mounting clip which often breaks)
- 1 coolant reservoir mounting clip (is this the same as the clip that secures the expansion tank to the shroud?)
These are both the same thing. I got the original information from various DIYs, but now I realize it's the same thing so I'll remove the latter line.

Quote:
- What is the special crimp tool to get (e.g., for the nipple-to-expansion-tank hose)?
- Who is a good supplier for the entire cooling system clamp set?
It turns out that the ONLY hose clamp you'll need for the cooling system overhaul is the 1/4"ID fuel line solid hose clamp that you'll put on the radiator nipple when you remove the fan shroud. [You'll probably also want a #8 hose clamp for the power steering leak; but that's not a cooling system part.]

Quote:
- 1 radiator drain plug (does this come with the radiator?)
- 1 engine block water drain plug (is this really necessary?)
- 1 engine block water drain plug crush washer
- Hose clamps (5/16ths, ?, ?)
I'm moving the drain plugs and crush washer to the "optional" list; and I'm removing the hose clamp entry since it's redundant.

Quote:
- Extra radiator nipples (BMW PN 17.11.0.419.132)
- Extra green coolant temperature sensor O-Rings M8x3 (BMW PN 13.62.1.743.299)
- Extra fan shroud rivets for 8mm holes (BMW PN 17.11.1.712.963)
I'll clarify that these parts are required only in certain circumstances (but it's a life saver to know about them as my research clearly shows most people do not realize these parts exist and are available, some of which are not for the cooling system per se, but, which fit perfectly.

If any of these edits are wrong, let me know.

The goal is a good working list of recommended (and optional) parts for a cooling system overhaul.

Last edited by bluebee; 08-02-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:57 AM

I've been researching the radiator parts for hours and found a whole lot of errors in the existing radiator parts list above.

I'll edit that parts list to rectify that. Some of the edits I'll be making are:

EXPANSION TANK & HOSES:
While you can replace the hoses, it seems they don't generally go bad so I'm going to move the three expansion tank hoses from "recommended" to "optional".

Quote:
Notes: The blue drain plug comes with the Behr expansion tank; but the filler cap does not
This is incorrect. There is no drain plug in the expansion tank so I'll delete that.

Quote:
THERMOSTAT & HOSES:
- 1 thermostat hose (Elaplast/CRP-Contitech)
- 1 radiator bypass hose (Elaplast/CRP-Contitech)
- Thermostat gasket/seal for thermostat housing (Goetze)
All three of these items are WRONG. There is no specific thermostat hose (at least for my E39). Both radiator hoses go to each side of the thermostat so these two hoses are already covered.

And, despite some DIYs recommending the gasket seal, it is not needed apparently so I'm removing that line altogether also.

Quote:
WATER PUMP:
-1 water pump with o-ring (Hepu is pretty good, GMB is BMW OEM, EMP/Stewart is very high end but expensive)
I'm adding Graf to that list also.

Quote:
- 1 water pump pulley
- 4 water pump pulley bolts
- 4 water pump pulley nuts
Like the expansion tank hoses, these three items exist, but, in reality, they don't generally need to be replaced. The water pump pullley is glass-filled plastic, and if it's damaged, it should be replaced but otherwise, I'm moving these three items to the "optional" list.

Quote:
FAN:
- 1 fan clutch (Behr or Fichtel-Sachs but not MFC)
- 1 fan blade assembly (OEM, Febi-Bilstein or Meyle)
The MFC should be MTC (Mission Trading Company ... but it's still not recommended).

It seems, from research, that there are TWO types of temperature sensors in the fan clutch so we should point that out:
- Behr ==> bi-metallic strip
- Fichtel-Sachs ==> thermal spring
The bi-metallic strip is the OE type.

In addition, it seems ACM makes a less expensive fan clutch so I'll add that although if you have anything negative about them, let me know.

Also, it seems that most fan blade failures are actually failures of the clutch, so, I'm going to move the fan blade over to the "optional list keeping the fan clutch on the "recommended" replacement list.

Quote:
SENSORS:
- Automatic-transmission thermostat (may break when removing expansion tank)
While this automatic-transmission thermostat seems to exist on some models, it does not apparently exist on the E39; so I'm removing this item.

[/quote]
Note: The top (stick) half of the level sensor comes with the expansion tank but the bottom electrical level sensor does not.[/quote]

Apparently this is not true. The expansion tank comes with both halves of the level sensor. The top half is a mechanical floating stick; and the bottom half is the magnetic sensor. There is no separate level sensor to buy.

Quote:
ODDS & ENDS:
- Buy an extra clip that secures the expansion tank to the shroud (the bleeder screw sits in the middle of this coolant reservoir mounting clip which often breaks)
- 1 coolant reservoir mounting clip (is this the same as the clip that secures the expansion tank to the shroud?)
These are both the same thing. I got the original information from various DIYs, but now I realize it's the same thing so I'll remove the latter line.

Quote:
- What is the special crimp tool to get (e.g., for the nipple-to-expansion-tank hose)?
- Who is a good supplier for the entire cooling system clamp set?
It turns out that the ONLY hose clamp you'll need for the cooling system overhaul is the 1/4"ID fuel line solid hose clamp that you'll put on the radiator nipple when you remove the fan shroud. [You'll probably also want a #8 hose clamp for the power steering leak; but that's not a cooling system part.]

Quote:
- 1 radiator drain plug (does this come with the radiator?)
- 1 engine block water drain plug (is this really necessary?)
- 1 engine block water drain plug crush washer
- Hose clamps (5/16ths, ?, ?)
I'm moving the drain plugs and crush washer to the "optional" list; and I'm removing the hose clamp entry since it's redundant.

Quote:
- Extra radiator nipples (BMW PN 17.11.0.419.132)
- Extra green coolant temperature sensor O-Rings M8x3 (BMW PN 13.62.1.743.299)
- Extra fan shroud rivets for 8mm holes (BMW PN 17.11.1.712.963)
I'll clarify that these parts are required only in certain circumstances (but it's a life saver to know about them as my research clearly shows most people do not realize these parts exist and are available, some of which are not for the cooling system per se, but, which fit perfectly.

If any of these edits are wrong, let me know.

The goal is a good working list of recommended (and optional) parts for a cooling system overhaul.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:39 PM

In writing up this novel but simple radiator hose removal DIY, I realized we're missing another item on the parts list.

I'm sure most of you have this part in your garage, but I don't.

So, for people like me, I'll add:
- Zip tie (because you have to cut the OEM zip tie to remove the upper radiator hose)

Old 08-19-2010, 12:44 PM

I just populated the cooling system list above with rough prices based on today's EAC Tuning price list from a URL provided by Mark here.

What I'm trying to create in this recommended parts list is the vendor-independent brand-name-dependent "kit" we recommend, including our recommendations for mandatory and optional items ... and a list of replacements (e.g., the o-rings instead of the sensors, etc.).

Then, after this list is finely honed (it's in pretty good shape now), we can present it to the sponsors to see if they're willing to create a kit for us of those recommended parts and then price it accordingly.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Spencer

Mein Auto: 02 540i
Vanos Seals for M62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark@EACTuning View Post
If anyone needs assistance ordering parts I would be glad to help.
I read in another post you wrote about replacing the guide rails when doing the seals on M62TU's. Are you able to replace them without doing the whole sequence to R&R the timing chain? It looks like you need quite a few BMW tools to do that. But I took what you wrote about finding ground up bits of plastic in the pan.

02 540i
07 X5
Old 08-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '98 528
Brilliant post Bluebee. Are you going back and making corrections to the DIY links or do we need to reference this whole thread if we dive into one of these? Eaither way, very nice info. Im not sure about the Power Steering Leak topic. There is only a Pump/Res, two hoses and the actuator AFAIK. Anyway, Im doing a Steering System Flush this week. Ill post on that.

EDIT; I see your post 2 above, with intention of parts numbers for a kit. Carry on.....

Last edited by Flybot; 08-22-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybot View Post
Are you going back and making corrections to the DIY links or do we need to reference this whole thread
Yes. I'm going back to the first instance of the lists above to edit whenever new information arises.

The reason I always try to edit the earlier information is so that others don't have to go through the SAME painful process we did to come to the conclusion.

1. Drive belt system overhaul (with alternator)
2. Cooling system overhaul
3. CCV/ICV
4. VANOS

Bear in mind, I've only done the first two so I can vouch for their accuracy; the second set are probably not very accurate yet as I haven't done them so I'm compiling a list from other lists, some of which are incomplete or inaccurate or for other models. If you know of ANY parts (required, recommended, or optional), please post here and I'll add it to the lists above for as long as the forum will let me:

Last edited by bluebee; 08-22-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i 5spd
Blueebee and others - Thanks for the information provided here.

I did the cooling system replacement on my '01 530i this weekend. It went quite smoothly and only took me about 4 hours total. The main issue is that I had a 2 day break between hours 3 and 4.

When I removed the fan/fan clutch, I didn't have the wp pulley special tool on the bolts correctly and I cracked the pulley for the water pump. This pulley might be a good one to add to the list of required parts. Since I did this work on Friday night, I had to wait for Monday for the dealer to open to get the pulley.

Also, I tried to just re-use the temp sensor and green o-ring on the lower radiator hose. But, it leaked heavily in the new hose. So, +1 on the replacement of that green o-ring.

The only other thing I think is missing from the list, is that you really need two small hose clamps (I think the list only calls for one), because you need one for both ends of the expansion tank overflow.

One other comment on the tensioners. I checked my car before hand from below and saw that I had a mechanical tensioner. So, I ordered both mechanical tensioners. However, when I got everything apart I found a mixed set. The upper tensioner is hydraulic and the lower one is mechanical.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ns2ls View Post
I cracked the pulley for the water pump. This pulley might be a good one to add to the list of required parts.
Excellent input. I'll make a special note of that in the cooling system overhaul parts list above. That glass-filled pulley is fragile. I used the tools which turned out to be easy -- no hammer! But, with a hammer involved ... anything can happen!

Quote:
+1 on the replacement of that green o-ring.
Thanks for the reassessment. I'm glad we worked that one out down to the part number (it wasn't easy and it wasn't on the E39 forums prior to this).

Quote:
you really need two small hose clamps
Hmmmmm... Nobody mentioned the nipple on the expansion tank having a hose clamp. Are you sure? (I haven't done that part yet myself as the parts just came in from one of our sponsors.).

Quote:
The upper tensioner is hydraulic and the lower one is mechanical.
We have an entire thread on that! You can have anything. I'll make sure it's obvious in the thread ... thanks for the input!

See: "How to tell if you have spring drive belt tensioners or hydraulic belt tension (or both)".

Old 08-24-2010, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i 5spd
Yes - my car had factory hose clamps on the expansion tank side and the radiator nipple side of the overflow hose. Currently I have it installed without a clamp on the nipple, and I think it will be fine for a while. However, I'm going to pick one up at a store soon and put it on (just to be safe).
Old 09-01-2010, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 525i
Just a quick note about fan shroud removal. I have an e39 m54. I tried to remove it to replace the thermostat using the hammer and 32mm wrench after seeing this video on youtube

Must have hit it 8 times without the nut breaking. When it finally broke, the tail end on the 32mm wrench hit my upper radiator hose and cracked my radiator at the plastic neck and then followed though to crack my intake muffler. So my quick thermostat replacement turned into a 4 day wait for parts saga.

Be careful. Remove the upper radiator hose if possible and pad the area heavily... or just buy the right pulley holder tool and keep the hammer away from your luxury vehicle.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimer45 View Post
Remove the upper radiator hose if possible and pad the area heavily... or just buy the right pulley holder tool and keep the hammer away from your luxury vehicle.
Good advice. In addition to breaking parts, people even have broken the tool itself (as shown in this Fudman/Hooray thread).

BTW, we've been updating the VANOS and cooling system recommended parts lists above, and even the first post of what jobs to mix with other jobs based on input in a variety of places, including here and here and here.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 87 325is, 02 530i Sport
Another option for the fan clutch nut: http://www.rei.com/product/710553

It's what I bought for my E30. A long-handle 32mm combination wrench would not fit it. With a bit of added leverage it works great.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:23 PM

As a cross reference, there's a good list of recommended parts for the CCV job over in this thread today:
- Parts required to be changed when replacing CCV

In addition, FastBob suggests doing the valve cover gasket at the same time as the CCV, so that would be additional parts.

I can't modify the OP, so I'll repeat and update the "while you're there" jobs, as:
A. It's common to mix the cooling system & belt drive overhauls as the same parts are removed
B. It's common to add power steering PS hose check/fix & oil filter housing (OFH) gasket check/fix to the belt-drive overhaul
C. It's common to add a spark-plug replacement with the VANOS seals as the same parts are removed
D. It's common to do the CCV all by itself (perhaps with a Valve Cover Gasket (VCG) replacement)

QUESTION:
- What additional parts (other than the gasket itself) would be needed for a VCG job?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCVPartList-1.png
Views:	148
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	248149   Click image for larger version

Name:	CCVPartList-2.png
Views:	105
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	248150   Click image for larger version

Name:	CCVPartList-3.png
Views:	106
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	248151  

Last edited by bluebee; 09-28-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ågent99
two "BMW" hose clamps for the reservoir hose... 07 12 9 952 104 from the fuel filter diagram

Ågent99 posted three wonderful hints useful when replacing the cooling system, two of which can affect the parts list above (which I can no longer edit).

1. Ågent99 recommends you insert the expansion tank nipple side of the 1/4 inch overflow hose first, and then you insert the radiator nipple side of the hose.

2. Ågent99 recommends a wholly different waterpump counterhold tool, one which you can get from the local hardware store. He used a "Strainer Lock Nut Wrench" used for sink strainer drains. I gotta see someone taking a picture of that, in action!

3. Ågent99 strongly recommends BMW fuel system hose clamps, PN 07 12 9 952 104 (see this REALOEM diagram) which will seal better than your typical automotive hose clamp. (I second the notion for the solid metal fuel system clamps as opposed to the slotted metal garden-hose style clamps.)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	4536
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	249030  
Old 10-11-2010, 02:07 PM

We should never need this information, but, in a McGyver emergency, we might be able to temporarily replace just the radiator hose o-rings if we're stuck far from reality.

Here, for the record, are the 40x4mm dimensions as measured by me today to help the OP out in this thread.

Inner diameter: ~1.60" (approximately 40mm)
Thickness: ~0.165" (approximately 4mm)
Old 10-21-2010, 02:47 AM

I can no longer edit the original cooling system parts list so I add this information from cn90 below regarding brands ...

* 11511436590URO Water Pump Pulley; 132mm; Black Anodized Aluminum
Optional, the Original BMW pulley lasts some 140K-160K.
So if yours still good keep it.

* 11517527799 Water Pump; Update Replacement with Metal Impeller
This is made by Graf, so it is good.
I use "Hepu" and so far so good 4 years later.

* 11521712058 Fan Blade; 420mm 11 Blade
This is made by URO.
Get rid of it ASAP!!!
I bought a brand made by MTC, it broke a year later. Luckily no hood damage yet.
This is the part that when it fails, it causes some $1K damage under the hood.
For this part, get it from BMW dealer (made by Thyssen).
It costs more but it is worth it.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:40 PM

Another brand-name jewel from cn90 is in this post:

There, we find out this useful selection recommendation:
"Once the Belts, Water Pump and thermostat housing is removed for the cooling overhaul, doing the Oil Housing Gasket is a piece of cake!
The Oil Housing Gasket is $5 at dealer. Use only BMW part here because aftermarket Oil Housing Gasket gasket is no good.

Here is the DIY for Oil Housing Gasket, since alot of stuff are already removed for the cooling overhaul, just go straight to step #7:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=414315
NOTE: Whatever you do, do NOT allow water or coolant to enter the oil passages When you remove the oil filter housing, you will see the big hole into the engine, so prevent junk and crap from falling in there).
"
Old 10-25-2010, 07:47 PM

Another good catch came in today from 540isport.

"Just 1 small thing to add to the tools for removal of the fan blade from the fan clutch is an allen key wrench ( three bolts )but i forget the size"

Old 10-26-2010, 05:29 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
BB, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to collate all this info. You are really adding value! It almost makes me look forward to working on my car now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Another good catch came in today from 540isport.

"Just 1 small thing to add to the tools for removal of the fan blade from the fan clutch is an allen key wrench ( three bolts )but i forget the size"

Does 540isport say what the allen key is used for? Is it V8 specific? I don't recall needing an allen key when I removed my fan blade. Just wondering...
Old 10-26-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
You are really adding value!
Thanks. That makes me feel the energy expended is worth it. I can't contribute with knowledge that you guys inherently have; but I can compile the priceless information you all have.

It always seems a waste to me that the information is scattered about, especially when an emergency repair crops up where you don' have the time or inclination to do the extensive collating research.

Hopefully, when we're done here, anyone contemplating these major jobs will have a well reviewed recommended listing of which parts to buy, which brands, and from whom.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
RECOMMENDED BELT-DRIVE SYSTEM PARTS LIST:
- alternator/ps/wp drive belt (CRP-Contitech)
We're adding "Gatorback" belts to the recommended alternator belt brands based on this post today from [energizedmortal].

"for alternator drive belt add "gatorback belt replacement" there are reports on the forum that problem cars that upgraded to hydraulic tensioners still had alternator drive belt whine that was only cured after gatorback belt replacement"
Old 11-16-2010, 08:33 AM

Based on new information in this thread:
- Belts / Tensioner s/ Idler Pulley Replacement

For the newer E39's, we've now learned a T60 (Torx #60) drive needs to be added to the recommended drive-belt system overhaul tool list.

Apparently, the latest model E39s do NOT use the raised molded nut on the mechanical tensioners as the leverage point; they use a sunken molded T60 indentation instead.

So, whenever we do a rehash of the tools needed, we'll need to add a T60 torx socket & ratchet for mechanical tensioners, depending on your E39 model year.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Bluebee,

The O-ring for the temp sensor is $1 at hardware store:

ID = 5/16"
OD = 9/16"
Thickness = 1/8"

On the L side is new hardware-store O-ring (in Black), On the R side is the BMW broken O-ring (in Green):

Last edited by cn90; 11-16-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
The O-ring for the temp sensor is $1 at hardware store:
ID = 5/16"
OD = 9/16"
Thickness = 1/8"
This is a fantastic find! Up 'till recently, everyone was replacing a good temperature sensor; but, with all the information we've found on the o-ring over the past few months, we (the tribal we) can now save tens of thousands of dollars (assuming we each save 25 dollars and there are a thousand of us).

BTW, regarding post #2, recommended parts list for a belt-drive overhaul, this recent thread on replacement pulleys has some interesting insight where we don't want to make the same mistake as the OP did.

- For some E39s, you "can" replace just the pulley on the mechanical tensioners
- For the V8 at least (& maybe only the older V8s), you can buy a steel Dayco pulley (but the torx-covering end cap probably won't fit back on)
- Never buy the Hamburg-Technic water pump pulley (from deutschepartsusa); it is junk.
- The URO aluminum power steering pump pulley (from AutohauzAZ) is nice
- The URO aluminum water pump pulleys (from AutohausAZ) are also nice

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6408.JPG
Views:	1088
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	255228  

Last edited by bluebee; 11-18-2010 at 09:23 PM.