Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-05-2003, 09:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Civic
Question Anybody test drove the X3 in snow or icy road conditions?

Just curious if anybody has tried driving the X3 in severe driving conditions, such as the one we have now here in the northeast. Would the dealers actually allow us to test drive it in a snowstorm such as this. Curious to find out how it drives and how XDrive performs.
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2003, 07:25 AM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvdGene
Just curious if anybody has tried driving the X3 in severe driving conditions, such as the one we have now here in the northeast. Would the dealers actually allow us to test drive it in a snowstorm such as this. Curious to find out how it drives and how XDrive performs.
We've got one sitting on our showroom nice and clean right now. I'm tempted to take it out and go play, but I don't think my boss will be happy when he comes in and sees it filthy.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 12-06-2003, 10:53 AM
Here to Help

Mein Auto: Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvdGene

I've been driving an X3 for a demo since we got it and since I'm in upstate NY I've had the privilege to drive the vehicle on at least two bad days, today being one of them. The X drive is great. I drove out of my driveway with 6 to 8" of snow this morning with no problem. Our dealership is right on the edge of a major snow belt and I live 15 miles directly north which would put me right in the snow belt. A few nights ago it took me 45 minutes to get home due to bad visibility. I passed many cars, trucks, and suv's along my commute. Many vehicles were stranded in the ditch, but I felt very confident in the X3. There was at least 3 to 4 inches of snow on the road and ice beneath and I never felt out of control. In my opinion the X drive gets a .

Ted
Old 12-07-2003, 05:48 AM
Jayhawk Fan

Mein Auto: BMW 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL
We've got one sitting on our showroom nice and clean right now. I'm tempted to take it out and go play, but I don't think my boss will be happy when he comes in and sees it filthy.

How are you supposed to sell it if you haven't taken through all its paces? Do you really want to be like all the other salesman who claim things about cars that they've never driven? It is your duty and honor to take it out. Please let us know how it goes.

BMW CCA: 162191

Old 12-07-2003, 05:03 PM
I always have an opinion

Mein Auto: '06 325xiT
Ted - (or SARAFIL if you broke down and drove it, risking life, limb and future employment)

Have you driven a pre x-drive X5 in the snow as well?

I'm interested in how they compare.

I'm still waiting for some decent snow to test my 2003 X5 here.

2006 325xiT | Alpine White | Black Leather
Old 12-08-2003, 06:31 AM
Here to Help

Mein Auto: Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzer
Ted - (or SARAFIL if you broke down and drove it, risking life, limb and future employment)

Have you driven a pre x-drive X5 in the snow as well?

I'm interested in how they compare.

I'm still waiting for some decent snow to test my 2003 X5 here.

I had an X5 demo last winter and I prefer the new X drive system in the snow. Much better control and traction. The old AWD system was fine, but there is a noticeable improvement in the new system.

Ted