Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 08-01-2010, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: e36 M3, e46 m3
1995 M3, 134k miles and original water pump??

I just bought a 1995 M3 with 134k miles from my brother in law. He's owned it since it had 60k miles and has never changed the water pump. From what I read, the water pump for this year model has a high failure rate.

Is it possible to for a water pump from this year to last this long? If highly unlikely, its probable that the previous owner changed it before 60k.

Let me know what you guys think ?!?
Ads by Google
Old 08-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ///M3 sc
Accepted wisdom says that the water pump, thermostat, radiator, expansion tank, hoses and tstat housing are 80-100K mile replacement items. So no matter what, they are all due. There are several online vendors that sell complete cooling system overhaul kits. It's a real gamble not doing it. One overheat, that will warp the head will be several thousand $ to fix.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonshee92 View Post
I just bought a 1995 M3 with 134k miles from my brother in law. He's owned it since it had 60k miles and has never changed the water pump. From what I read, the water pump for this year model has a high failure rate.

Is it possible to for a water pump from this year to last this long? If highly unlikely, its probable that the previous owner changed it before 60k.

Let me know what you guys think ?!?
Yes, it's possible the original water pump has lasted this long -- a few others have reported similar experiences. It is, however, unlikely, and if the case, very lucky.

You need to replace your cooling system; this is a well known weak point, especially in the E36s. Serious ramifications if you overheat that engine.

Even if the owner before your brother-in-law did attend to it, you're coming up on needing to do it again. Every 60-80k miles is advised.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 95 Cosmos M3
Took my '95 in a couple weeks ago for a new water pump since it's seeing more track time. I bought it w/52k on it (now has 104k) and figured the pump was original since I never replaced it. Turns out it was worse than the infamous plastic impeller type--made of cheap metal and made a scraping/bad bearing sound once it came out (my mechanic was appalled). He figured I had very few miles left on it (& a 95 degree track day this weekend--yikes!). I replaced it with a Stewart, which is made like a tank, and not that much more expensive than an OEM metal impeller water pump. Highly recommended!