Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 08-03-2010, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: USA
Cool 535i steers to right

I have about 600 miles on my F10. I haven't seen any reference on this blog to owners cars steering to the right but it seems to be a common problem on some other sites. My local dealer says that they have seen several owners cars and all their demos have the problem. BMW tells them that is is not an alignment problem or a tire problem but it is a software problem that they are working on. I am interested if anyone else here has the problem and what you are being told.

Ron
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2010, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
I've only got 300miles on my 550, and mine pulls right. Have not taken back to dealer but a "software" issue would be interesting.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbron View Post
I have about 600 miles on my F10. I haven't seen any reference on this blog to owners cars steering to the right but it seems to be a common problem on some other sites. My local dealer says that they have seen several owners cars and all their demos have the problem. BMW tells them that is is not an alignment problem or a tire problem but it is a software problem that they are working on. I am interested if anyone else here has the problem and what you are being told.

Ron
It's not a blog.
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 08-03-2010, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550i
I have the same problem on my 550i. have been told that BMW is aware of the problem and it is software related. I have the Dynamic Handling Pkg. on my 550i.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: F07 550i GT
I have this problem on my GT and at 600 they told me there is no way its an alignment issue or something and that the tires were good so maybe I should have them check into this????

As an Engineer I have to say: When all else fails read the manual. Until then, push random buttons like there is no tomorrow!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmooth79 View Post
I have this problem on my GT and at 600 they told me there is no way its an alignment issue or something and that the tires were good so maybe I should have them check into this????
I spoke to my service manager this morning about this. He said he hadn't heard anything about it, but that he would keep his ears open and let me know.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: '08 535xi
Yes, other forums have brought up the steering to the right issue. There's mutliple reports that BMW is aware of the problem and is calling it a software issue. Reports are also saying that many SA's are unaware of the issue, some are. I guess a bulletin has yet to be released until they fiqure out the problem.

After driving the car, I noticed my left hand getting a little tired. At first, I didn't try to figure it out. I chalked it up to the numb and weird feeling that others had been reporting about the lousy steering feel. Finally I paid enough attention and released the steering wheel to see what happens. Every time, no matter what side of the road you are on, including absolute flat or crowned roads, the wheels jerks about 3-4 degrees to the right when released. Not slow, but an gentle jerk. I too thought it was an alignment problem but I haven't seen any reporting that a simple alighment would fix this.

Comparing the sterring issues between the E60 and the F10, I understand the massive concerns folks are having with the numb feeing, etc. There is absolutely no center feel. In the E60, you can get a soild enough feel. Not the F10. I can understand how C&D through a fit. After driving it for a few hundred miles, the numb feeling 'kinda' goes away but not entirely.

I do agree this may be a fully mute issue with the xi due to not using electric steering.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
2011 535 non sport. Yep. crown of road does not matter. pulls to right and annoying. Will watch posts for solution.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
My service manager told me today he will check with BMW to find out for sure if the xDrive steering is not the same as on the rear drive 550i.
550i xDrive/ImperialBlue/Beige/anthracite/DHP/sport/vent seats/convience/cold weather/driver assistance/prem 2/sport trans/fold down rears/4 zone/ACC/HUD/cameras/night vision/ipod and smart integration.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:01 AM

I'd like to know what you're told. Makes sense that the electric steering is removed on the xi since the Self-Parking feature was removed. That was a requirement of that feature. I have not seen anything officially written on this yet.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: 750 LI
I noticed this forum yesterday and had not noticed any pull to the right, so last night I went out and really paid attention to the steering. I am not sure what everyone is talking about or maybe I am just luckey but my 550 steers laser straight...Just my 2 cents worth.

11 550i Jet Black / Black Dakota Leather, Cold weather Pkg, Premium Pkg 2, Sport Pkg, Convenience Pkg, Smartphone, Anthracite Headliner

07 750LI

Former BMW's (Wished I would have kept them all!)

04 645Ci Retired
01 540i Retired
99 328i Retired

Old 08-06-2010, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550i
Does your 550 have the Dynamic Handling Pkg? If, not then the drifting to the right may be peculiar to those F10's that have it.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 750 LI
Maybe you are on to something. I do not have the Dynamic handling Pkg..only sports pkg.

11 550i Jet Black / Black Dakota Leather, Cold weather Pkg, Premium Pkg 2, Sport Pkg, Convenience Pkg, Smartphone, Anthracite Headliner

07 750LI

Former BMW's (Wished I would have kept them all!)

04 645Ci Retired
01 540i Retired
99 328i Retired

Old 08-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Mr. Magic

Mein Auto: 2001 330i and 2011 535i
For what it's worth, my F10 535i has DHS+Sport pkgs + IAS. Laser straight.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:23 PM

The car I drove (550i) had both Dynamic & Sport Pkgs. No IAS. Funny, not one report anywhere of veering to the left. For those that are reporting they're straight, perhaps a change was made at some point in production. No one knows.

I can tell you that after 35+ years of driving any car, even those that were out of alignment didn't behave like this.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Over 20 years owning BMWs

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
535i, Sports Package, Sports Auto Tranny, NO ZDH July 6 build. Straight as an arrow!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:37 PM

Just found this posted on another forum:

"The service manager at my dealer contacted me today and let me know that the software fix is being delivered to the BMW NA regional tech rep on 08/17 (next Tuesday). Eh - will probably take a bit for him to get around to all the dealerships for install and training. I'll keep you all informed what happens. I agree with what others have said here about those who have F10s without this problem - how can this simply be a software issue if the vehicles without the problem have the exact same software?"
Old 08-13-2010, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
i was going to say this must be a ias issue as the f10 i drove that pulled to the right had the ias the other one i drove did not have ias and to me atleast felt better overall but more importantly did not pull to the right.

i found going 100+ (km/hr) its a bit odd that on a smooth highway it was pulling to the right i thought maybe a damage vehicle but now that i read this thread seems like i was not imagining things.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Mr. Magic

Mein Auto: 2001 330i and 2011 535i
Have new 535i with IAS and no pulling.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: Audi A4
I just picked up my new 528 today and it has a pronounced pull to the right. On a straight road the you have to keep the steering wheel several degrees off center to the left to keep the car in the right lane. I will call the dealer ship on Monday to see where things stand with the reported software fix that is supposed to be coming on Tuesday.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:08 AM

Mein Auto: 14 ActiveHybrid 3/YukonXL
I picked up my 535i at the Welt, with IAS and Sports/Dynamic Handling. Pulls to the right.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:50 PM

Anyone have any update on the reported fix for this issue? I'm taking my 528i in to be checked on Wednesday. The SA I spoke to today said he had not heard of any issues with the steering. I'm sure they will check the alignment, etc. I will take a copy of this thread with me.

John
Old 08-16-2010, 08:05 PM

Before you take the car into the dealer, find a large flat parking lot nearby and do a few test runs. When you bring your car in, request a technician RIDE WITH YOU and demonstrate the issue. DO NOT do this on the road as the common excuse you will hear is road crowning.

The 550i I drove for a few days had a definite problem, the worst I've ever seen on any car. I even drove it in the left lane of a two lane road (safely) with definate road crowning to the left and the car still went right.

Center the steering wheel, drive straight and release the wheel. Mine immediately jerked to the right a few degrees.

When my new xi comes in, I will road test and reject the vehicle if it does this. If I were you, I would not let them give you the car back until it drives straight.....period, fix or not.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:25 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
There are 2 likely causes:
1) alignment
2) radial pull from tire imperfections

Both can be solved by a really good alignment guy. However the guys at the dealer are usually not really good.

If you're in Miami I can tell you a performance alignment guy who does race cars. I always take new cars to him and they come back perfect not just in the green.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Old 08-17-2010, 06:24 AM

Alignment is the obvious cause of this problem, but so many on this an other boards have reported the problem that it makes it sound like something more systematic. Someone else earlier in the thread said this was a software issue with the electric steering and that BMW was releasing a software update today to address this.

I will give the dealer a chance to correct it tomorrow and if not see where this leads. I made the mistake of not driving this car before we signed the papers. I had tested a car from the dealer before ordering and did not notice this problem. Once the car came in I did not have a chance to go for a drive before the day we scheduled to pick it up and just let it slide at delivery. I noticed it almost immediately after driving away and at first tried to ascribe it to road crowning, but it quickly became clear it was an issue with the car and not the road.

This defect has really dampened that new car experience. Its not something you can get past and ignore since it is always there. I drove our 08 X5 yesterday and it was surprising how noticeable it was that the car was not tracking away from center, even on crowned roads.

John