Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series

M Series
The ///M Series Forums. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 12-13-2003, 11:50 PM
Riuster = Rooster

Send a message via Skype™ to Riuster
Mein Auto: 02 M3, 07 X3 and 04 TSX
Spare Tire for E46 M3

I had my worst nightmare become a reality...two flats in a two month period and no replacement tires....I need a spare tire, a space saver..and I have read the forums. Is this the best place to buy one of these spares...

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...2897297&page=2

Is there someplace else, that sells a nice cover, etc...how about leather Z....???

Please advise..thanks...

Also does this spare fit front and rears?

whats the part number?

I need it mounted and balanced and ready to go...

Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 12-14-2003, 12:42 AM
fahrer

Mein Auto: doesn't have rear fogs!
I'd go for a full sized front wheel on the used market - the last thing I'd want is to get caught on the highway hundreds of miles from where I'm headed on a holiday and have only a space-saver.

But that's just me.

Assuming, of course, that like non-M E46s, the front will fit the rear.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330ci/Cooper s
light-weight full size spare...

You might consider buying a 17" full size light-weight wheel (such as SSR Comp. at 11.5 lbs.) and mount w/ a non-directional tire (app. 9-11lbs.) With the proper front et. the tire will work F & rear. Check Tirerack for various options. You will need a jack & a lug W.as well!!

IMO:The only reason to seek out and buy a donut spare is space saving. They are worthless except as a last resort. The 17" spare will actually allow you to stay on the road for an indefinite period.
-I want a donut as a city spare city and an 17" spare for road trips: I am in the process of locating a tire cover and devising a way to secure my 17" spare so it will stay put in the trunk. I only carry big my spare when I'm going out of the Metro area ( long road trips.)
Good luck
Old 12-14-2003, 11:54 AM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmith
You might consider buying a 17" full size light-weight wheel (such as SSR Comp. at 11.5 lbs.) and mount w/ a non-directional tire (app. 9-11lbs.) With the proper front et. the tire will work F & rear. Check Tirerack for various options. You will need a jack & a lug W.as well!!

IMO:The only reason to seek out and buy a donut spare is space saving. They are worthless except as a last resort. The 17" spare will actually allow you to stay on the road for an indefinite period.
-I want a donut as a city spare city and an 17" spare for road trips: I am in the process of locating a tire cover and devising a way to secure my 17" spare so it will stay put in the trunk. I only carry big my spare when I'm going out of the Metro area ( long road trips.)
Good luck
This option makes a lot of sense, but even the donut eats up a good chunk of trunk space. With a full size spare, I wouldn't be able to get both suitcases into the trunk.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:56 PM
Riuster = Rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer1
I'd go for a full sized front wheel on the used market - the last thing I'd want is to get caught on the highway hundreds of miles from where I'm headed on a holiday and have only a space-saver.

But that's just me.

Assuming, of course, that like non-M E46s, the front will fit the rear.
Exactly, assuming the front fits the rears..but I have a M3...see this is my issue and all other M3 owners.

I have Iforged wheels in place already, stock 18s in hand, but the rear tires and front tires are of different size....this is what happened to me in the past 2 months.

I got a flat on the front, a nail, BMW told me they dont plug low profiles, I think thats just BS, but I bought a new tire, but didnt get the old one back...I made a mistake, and I had no spare the M Mobility system is a crock of ****...Germans dont need spares, cause their roads are IMPECCABLY awesome.

I have the S-03s..which are directional tires. so if my left leaks..i cant use the right on my left or my left on my right due to directional rotation of the S-03s...very inconvenient...so just say..i have a front full spare for a left, IF my right blows...i can use my front tire for a temporary ride, but what if my rear blows..then what

With this in mind, I will have 2 wheels and 2 full size tires in my back seat and trunk at all times....and no room for anything else...

WHY DONT THEY MAKE BULLET PROOF TIRES for M3s........where can I get these..hahahah. who cares about the weight..im not racing...I need a tank.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:12 PM
Riuster = Rooster

so all said and done..i think a space saver spare is the best option too keep me out of the woods...

NYC roads just are the worst roads in USA..

but does this spare wheel and conti tire work for both front and rear for the e46 M3?
Old 12-16-2003, 02:39 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
If this is a big concern you could look into run flat tires.

A stock front will fit the rear with a 20mm spacer. Stock offsets are 47 front, 26 rear. 47 - 20mm spacer = 27 mm. Close enough.

The big thing with any spare is to match the rolling radius so that you do not cause DSC, ABS, and limited slip diff problems.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 12-16-2003, 02:54 PM
Riuster = Rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
If this is a big concern you could look into run flat tires.

A stock front will fit the rear with a 20mm spacer. Stock offsets are 47 front, 26 rear. 47 - 20mm spacer = 27 mm. Close enough.

The big thing with any spare is to match the rolling radius so that you do not cause DSC, ABS, and limited slip diff problems.
the spare will be only temporary, just to get home or the local gas station or wherever, so abs and dsc..i dont care, but thats a good idea installing the spacer for the rear..20mm you say...and using my stock as a spare....but...I need trunk space...and soon or later.im getting rid of my stock anyway...more garbage around the house...

I have iforge now, +38offset, so I can get an 12mm spacer and my front will fit the rear...hmmmmm, but dont i need new set of longer lugs with that?

I have s03s...and I dont know if they are run flat or not, but i was still able to cruise at 50 and get out of the highway...with a flat on the S-03s...and they look ofcourse deflated, but not all the way....

What is a good run flat tire..anyway...but...I was able to get the spare conti spacesaver tire...and I ordered the wheel..and the jack....so..either way..im set for the next blow out...

at least I will not need an ass towing my car, again..I hate that...the asshole lost my towcap....geez....
Old 12-16-2003, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: 01 Mc, 08 M3, Motorrad x2
The tires are hard to get. We have been out of stock for the last 2 months. We have a shipment of 12 unspoken tires inbound from Continental which should be here in the next few weeks (no idea exactly when). If you want a space saver setup from us, let andymaddux@leatherz.com know and he will put your name on one for you.

14 R1200RT | 09 F650GS | 08 E90 M3 | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe
Old 12-16-2003, 06:55 PM
Riuster = Rooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
The tires are hard to get. We have been out of stock for the last 2 months. We have a shipment of 12 unspoken tires inbound from Continental which should be here in the next few weeks (no idea exactly when). If you want a space saver setup from us, let andymaddux@leatherz.com know and he will put your name on one for you.
I got the tire already...im just waiting for the black wheel..i just couldnt wait any longer....but i will order teh cover from leather Z..but your site doesnt seem to be working..ill try again.

also that wheelpin..doesnt all 3 series come with wheel pins?..but i didnt get it...and kinda steep on the price..though..
Old 12-17-2003, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 01 Mc, 08 M3, Motorrad x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riuster
also that wheelpin..doesnt all 3 series come with wheel pins?..but i didnt get it...and kinda steep on the price..though..
You can buy them from Ultimate Garage if you don't like our price.

14 R1200RT | 09 F650GS | 08 E90 M3 | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe